Healthcare in Liechtenstein

Each country's health system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge on the NHS. This means you may have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care.

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access state-provided healthcare at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free. It will cover you for treatment that is needed to allow you to continue your stay until your planned return.

Your EHIC also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care, provided the reason for your visit isn't specifically to give birth.

If you don't have your EHIC with you or you've lost it, you can call Overseas Healthcare Services at the NHS Business Services Authority (+44 191 218 1999) to get a Provisional Replacement Certificate.

Finding help in an emergency

Dial 112 or 144 in case of an emergency. Contact your travel insurance company immediately if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment.

Other important numbers to note down:

  • 117 – police
  • 118 – fire department
  • 140 – alpine rescue

Healthcare services and costs

Liechtenstein has an excellent state-funded healthcare system. Patients have to pay a basic fee for health insurance and a percentage of the treatment costs.

If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you have to pay an average of CHF 67.00 for one month's health insurance. This is a standard charge that you will have to pay, even if you're visiting Liechtenstein for less than a month.

People who have reached retirement age pay half the fee, and people aged under 20 don't pay anything.


To make full use of your EHIC, the doctor (Artzt) you see should work under the public health scheme. Your consultation will be covered by your health insurance. If you go to see a doctor who doesn't work under the public health scheme, you will have to pay the full cost.


There is no state-provided dental care in Liechtenstein, which means you will have to pay the full cost of any private treatment you receive. Emergency treatment is available.

Hospital treatment

There is only one hospital in Liechtenstein – the Liechtensteinisches Landesspital – in the capital, Vaduz. Apart from emergencies, admission usually needs to be approved by a doctor.

You will be charged a fee for hospital treatment. Pensioners and children pay a reduced fee.


You can buy medicines from pharmacies (Apotheke) in Liechtenstein. Prescription medication must be prescribed by a qualified doctor or consultant, and is only available from registered pharmacies, private pharmacies and the hospital pharmacy. You can get any medicines that are covered by state-provided healthcare.


The cost of ambulance travel to a healthcare establishment will be covered, as long as the establishment is contracted to the federation of health insurers.

Air Ambulance

Travel by air ambulance is covered up to a maximum amount - if your costs exceed this, you will have to pay the remaining amount yourself.


As well as the insurance fee (see above), patients usually have to pay a proportion of their healthcare costs, and there is no reimbursement. If you see a doctor who isn't registered under the public health scheme, you will have to pay the full cost in advance.

Making healthcare arrangements in advance

The most common treatments or conditions that require advanced arrangements are listed below. For all other conditions or treatments, you should consult your GP. Remember, for all treatments abroad you must present your EHIC.

Oxygen therapy

Ensure your EHIC is valid before you travel. Usually, you will have to use the authorised oxygen company for the country you are travelling to. You will also have to make your own arrangements, including permission from your hotel to deliver and install the equipment. There may also be additional costs that the EHIC will not cover.

Your home oxygen supplier is not required to provide a service outside the UK; however, most suppliers can give you advice. Your oxygen treatment clinic will organise your home oxygen supply from one of these suppliers:

Air Liquide: Call them on:

  • 0808 143 9991 for London
  • 0808 143 9992 for the North West
  • 0808 143 9993 for the East Midlands
  • 0808 143 9999 for the South West

Baywater Healthcare: covers Yorkshire and Humberside, West Midlands and Wales. Call them on 0800 373 580. For more information, visit the Baywater Healthcare website.

BOC: covers the East and North East of England. Call them on 0800 136 603.

Dolby Vivisol: covers the South of England. Call them on 0500 823 773.

The British Lung Foundation (BLF) may have additional oxygen contacts for the country you are travelling to. Their website offers general advice about travelling abroad with a lung condition.

Ensure you allow plenty of time to make all your arrangements before you travel.


You will need to speak to the co-ordinator at your UK Dialysis Unit, who will contact the dialysis unit in Liechtenstein nearest to where you will be staying. You can look up UK renal units on The Renal Association website.

Ensure you make arrangements according to your UK schedule. There also may be different guidance depending on what type of dialysis you receive. Make sure you speak to your doctor before you travel. The National Kidney Federation website offers general advice about travelling with a kidney disease, as well as specific guidance for haemodialysis patients, peritoneal dialysis patients, and guidelines for transplant patients.

Read more advice about travelling with other conditions:

Living in Liechtenstein

The immigration laws in Liechtenstein are similar to those in Switzerland. If you're from an EEA member country, you need to either have a passport or a valid ID card. Foreign nationals from outside the EEA must have a passport and may also need a visa. It’s possible to stay in Liechtenstein for up to three months without a residence permit.

All employers and employed residents contribute to the healthcare system in Liechtenstein, which is overseen by the National Office of Health (Amt fur Gesundheit). If you live in the country itself, you're legally entitled to equal access to healthcare.

Working in Liechtenstein

If you are a worker posted by a UK company to Liechtenstein, you may be entitled to health cover funded by the UK in Liechtenstein. Contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for more details:

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

  • Telephone: 0300 200 3506
  • Outside UK: +44 191 203 7010
  • Opening times: 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday – closed weekends and bank holidays

For more information, visit the Moving abroad section.


If you live in Liechtenstein and you receive an exportable UK Pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You will need to apply for a certificate of entitlement known as an S1 form.

For exportable UK pensions and contribution-based Employment Support Allowance, you can apply for your form via the International Pension Centre at the Department for Work and Pensions on 0191 218 7777.

You may need to liaise with a different team, depending on the exportable benefit. Further information is available under claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad on the GOV.UK website. Please note that different exportable benefits can have different rules in terms of healthcare cover.

Once issued, register the S1 form with the relevant authority in Liechtenstein. Often you need to do this before you can register for healthcare or obtain a medical card.

Once you have registered your S1 in Liechtenstein, you will be entitled to apply for and use a UK-issued EHIC to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries.

Studying in Liechtenstein

If you are coming to study or are currently studying in Liechtenstein as part of a UK-recognised course, you may be entitled to healthcare paid for by the UK government. You might also want to read our articles on:

Page last reviewed: 02/09/2016
Next review due: 02/09/2019