Omelette popovers recipe
Your baby will love feeding him/herself these little pots of cheesy veg omelettes, served with potatoes and green beans. A great lunch for the whole family too. For over 5's simply swap to reduced fat hard cheese.
Age: 7-9 mths
Serves: 2 portions
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Suitable for vegetarians? Y
- ½ tsp vegetable oil
- ½ small onion, peeled (approx. 30g)
- 20g full fat hard cheese
- 30g frozen peas
- pinch of mixed herbs
- 1 large egg (approx. 60g)
- Sprinkle of black pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp water
- 1 new potato (approx. 40g)
- 25g trimmed green beans (approx. 8)
If you don’t have a muffin tin, cook the onions and peas in a frying pan until starting to soften, add the egg mixture and cook for approx. 2-3 mins to make a whole omelette instead. Slice into fingers for your baby.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan or gas mark 4. Very lightly grease two holes of a muffin tin with vegetable oil.
- Finely chop the onion and divide equally between the two muffin tin holes. Put in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Put the peas into a bowl and add the grated cheese and herbs. Add the eggs, black pepper and water to the bowl, and mix with a fork.
- Remove the muffin tin from the oven, divide the mixture between the holes and gently stir. Return to the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown on the top.
- Whilst the popovers are cooking add the new potato to a small saucepan of water, bring to the boil, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the green beans to the pan then cook for a further 5 minutes until potatoes and beans are soft.
- Allow the popovers to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tin. Blend or mash the popover until it is smooth with soft lumps, or slice and serve as a finger food and serve with sliced potatoes and green beans.
- Cover / wrap the remaining popover and refrigerate for the next day.