Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

1. Review titled Poor communication Nottinghamshire mental health services

by novemberdw96 - Posted on 20 January 2021

In November 2019 I had a counselling session with an organisation called trent pts. After my consultation I was referred to secondary mental health services. I had 3 consultations with a mental health nurse at The Hope Centre in Beeston. I was referred to a community psychiatric nurse. I did not get an appointment until January this year 2021 because of the covid outbreak. I have now had to cancel my appointment twice has we have had covid in the house and I unfortunately have got infected. The nurse has refused to see me until I get a negative result. Why are these meetings not conducted virtually over microsoft teams or zoom!

Visited January 2021

Report review titled Poor communication Nottinghamshire mental health services as unsuitable

Replied on 20 January 2021

I m so sorry that your experience of our service has been inadequate in additional to all of your own experiences of the pandemic. I would be more than happy to discuss this with you and ascertain the clinic your were referred to and a way forward to enable you to get the treatment/intervention required. Perhaps you could give me a call on 0115 8541271 ask for Jayne Steed Acting Team Lead and state that this is in response to a Care Opinion entry. If I am unavailable do please leave a message on contact details and I will get back to you.

2. Review titled My experience on ward B2

by Stitch1234 - Posted on 22 January 2021

I had been suffering with my mental health for some time since having my second child. I had taken a over dose requiring treatment at Bassetlaw hospital, also seen by the mental health team and admitted once well enough to ward B2. While on the ward I received a lot of care and attention. On the ward there is a activity coordinator whom encourages all to have some involvement in therapeutic sessions. From arts and crafts to appointments and home visits the B2 team go above and beyond for all patients. I may not always like it when I don’t get my own way or get the answer I wanted but I couldn’t of wished for a better ward and team. B2 is safe. B2 is help. B2 is recovery. B2 saved me and I will forever be grateful. If B2 wasn’t here I honestly feel my recovery would of taken a lot longer. All the staff are a credit to the NHS. I feel lucky to have had the best mental health team out there helping me through a very tough time. Sometimes the old way is best. If it’s not broken don’t fix it. B2 has helped so many people and the way the ward is works. Being a ward with bays helps prevent loneliness and self seclusion. Being a mixed ward helps by being used to the surroundings of males and females. If I was on a female only ward and discharged to the community it could be very frightening due to being used to the surrounding of females only. I have noticed when I have been on a female only ward my discharge back to the community has felt more anxious when I have been in mixed gender situations like shopping, public transport and appointments. My opinion of B2 is that you couldn’t ever put together a more fantastic team of professional,caring, discreet, respectful, and friendly hard working staff. Forget about the A team ....... the A team didn’t save my life...... it was the amazing support of the B2 team. You couldn’t pay for better care.

Visited January 2021

Report review titled My experience on ward B2 as unsuitable

Replied on 22 January 2021

Hi Stitch1234, Thank you for taking the time to share such wonderful feedback regarding the team on B2. I know this is a particular difficult time for you at the moment, which makes your post even more special. It is lovely to hear the praise you have for the staff (even though as you say you do not get your own way or always get the answer you want!). We are all working in particularly difficult times currently, with some restrictions due to Covid, but it is good to hear that staff and patients are working well together to get through these difficult times. B2 is indeed a mixed sex ward with dormitories, but it is good to hear that this has been a positive experience for you and that the team have been there for you in your recovery. We will continue to support you throughout your admission. I will share you lovely feedback with the team, I'm sure they will be pleased to know that their hard work and dedication is appreciated. Thank you again Stitch1234 Kind Regards Karen Orme Ward Manager B2

3. Review titled Mentalization Based Treatment

by 1551FSH - Posted on 04 December 2020

I have found that the MBT therapy has had a really positive effect on my life. I feel like I'm living now and I am a valid human being. Opening up and sharing and hearing others do the same has helped me address my difficulties and face them head on. Knowing that I'm not alone has been helpful and having validation form the group/peers. Hearing others who are further into therapy was good, showing me that the process does work was important. I wonder if the group size can be smaller as sometimes the time constraints felt unhelpful. I was aware of other people perhaps not participating so others can have the time or feeling guilty if I felt they spoke too much/took up too much time. It has changed my life and given me my life back. Thank you.

Report review titled Mentalization Based Treatment as unsuitable

Replied on 07 December 2020

Thank you for sharing your experience of MBT therapy, it is gratefully received. It is wonderful to hear that your experience and the impact of the therapy has had a positive effect on your life and that you feel validated as a person. It is really important to acknowledge your own motivation and commitment to engage within the therapy process, being able to open up, share and hear others is key in the success of therapy. We know this can be difficult, so you should be proud of yourself. We really value the constructive feedback you have given about the importance of being amongst others in a therapy group and your wondering on the size of the group in relation to the time constraints. We will definitely give further consideration to the numbers that we have in groups, we will seek to hear the views of others, alongside your feedback, as well as reviewing the best evidence and guidance available in relation to therapy numbers. We are always seeking ways to improve the quality and experience of the service and so thank you once again for sharing your achievement and experience. We wish you well in your future. Yvonne Bird Notts MBT Community Forensic Services Manager

4. Review titled Bad experience with the Crisis Team

by Boatie - Posted on 16 December 2020

Unfortunately this is not the first time I have had a bad experience with the crisis team. On the plus side I have had some more helpful and caring responses than in the past. In my notes it says I find it difficult talking on the phone and I have been allowed some face to face appointments. My health has deteriorated due to a change in medication, and while I settle into my new meds some of the nursing team have been very sensitive and helpful and caring. On the negative side I have encountered the same member of staff who has been rude, hostile and extremely insensitive in the past. I have been advised by my GP, counsellor, Mind advisors and other people working with me to contact the crisis team when I am struggling. This particular staff member tells me I have taken up too much time, am not really going through a crisis and shouldn’t be ringing the team. It doesn’t matter if I’m having harmful or distressing thoughts it seems, as I have the capacity to chose whether to harm myself or not. As in the past, after speaking with this person I chose to. After feeling as humiliated, insignificant, worthless as they make me feel, I was left feeling I had no other option. I may not be in a crisis in their opinion, but for the third time in three days I did hurt myself. If this person can make me feel that bad about myself, I would rather suffer pain from myself than give them the satisfaction of hurting me. I don't think this person should be allowed to work with vulnerable people. They have shown me no warmth, compassion, or sensitivity. They act like they know that I don’t deserve help when other people, including the crisis team psychiatrist, are telling me to ring them. I have found our interactions harmful and people struggling just to stay alive deserve much more care than this person has offered me. I daren’t ring again in case this member of staff answers and I never want to speak to them, or have them make me feel as small and pathetic and humiliated ever again. I’d rather keep hurting myself. Please take this seriously before either I, or someone else, can’t take anymore.

Report review titled Bad experience with the Crisis Team as unsuitable

Replied on 18 December 2020

I am really sorry to hear about your experience. We would always encourage individuals to call the Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment Team and would hope that you feel able to in the future. Unfortunately, I cannot discern which crisis service you contacted, your concern is under the umbrella of two services. Should you feel able to discuss your concern's further with me, I would appreciate this via email. jonathon.guy@nottshc.nhs.uk

5. Review titled Adult ADHD

by Mrs Peacock - Posted on 16 December 2020

I am an adult with ADHD. I moved to the UK 10 years ago and have since been bounced around to get my prescriptions. I was initially told that Adults don’t have ADHD, despite providing my medical records from Canada indicating my diagnosis. My GP didn’t know what to do with me. Over the 10 years I’ve had to go through numerous processes to get my ADHD prescriptions filled. I went from my GP, who referred me to a psychiatrist, then back to my GP, then back to a psychiatrist. In October I was informed that there was going to be a new Adult ADHD Service formed and I would be referred to that service who would then be reviewing and writing my prescription meds. I was pleased to hear this as until now, Adult ADHD has not been recognised in the UK. In December 2020 I was contacted by a Pharmacist to review my prescription for my ADHD medication. The Pharmacist was very pleasant and explained the process well ensuring I understood. He then asked me questions relevant to my health history. He stated he would be sending my prescription to my local pharmacy to dispense. I am pleased that the NHS has finally recognised the need for an adult ADHD service in the UK and is moving forward in providing this medical service to, as I understand, the approximately 700 patients currently in the country.

Report review titled Adult ADHD as unsuitable

Replied on 22 December 2020

Thank you for your feedback on the Adult ADHD Service. We are pleased to hear that you found your ADHD review helpful, and you felt the clinician explained the process well to you. We hope going forwards this continues to be a more straightforward process for you, and we will welcome any further feedback in the future.

6. Review titled Mansfield and Ashfield IHTT

by apusex73 - Posted on 30 November 2020

My experience of the team was positive. I was a wreck and the team helped me to get to the place I am now. They are all nice ladies and they give you advice and more confidence to do things. I don't think I would have done if I didn't have the support.

Visited November 2020

Report review titled Mansfield and Ashfield IHTT as unsuitable

Replied on 30 November 2020

Hi apusex73, Thank you so much for leaving a comment about our team. I'm so pleased you have benefitted from our visits and now have more confidence. All the best for the future. Cara Hewitt IHTT

7. Review titled IHTT visits

by Hall39 - Posted on 23 November 2020

Started to feel unwell with the thoughts around covid making me feel anxious. And changing medication. Then I had a fear of going out. I was refered to iris team (IHTT) With on going support I have been able to start going out for walks and feeling much better in myself. My Confidence is now improving with the help iv received.

Visited November 2020

Report review titled IHTT visits as unsuitable

Replied on 23 November 2020

Hi Hall39, Thank you for taking the time to comment about the Intensive Home Treatment Team (IHTT) We are so pleased that you have been able to build up your confidence and are feeling better in yourself. All the best for the future Cara Hewitt, IHTT

8. Review titled Mental health support through pandemic

by Baarraap79 - Posted on 17 October 2020

Always suffered with mental health issues, but Ive never been so frightened, scared, vulnerable, lonely, stir crazy, psychosis, delusional, when lockdown came into place bk in March! I felt as though I was going mad, and wouldn't wish on anyone, And the health of the health care team for absolutely brilliant, I've had bloods done/mri scans/ counselling/ got appointment very soon with mental health team, ongoing doctors appointments and phone calls.

Visited October 2020

Report review titled Mental health support through pandemic as unsuitable

Replied on 18 October 2020

Dear Baarraap79, Thank you for taking the time to post about your experiences with the mental health team. I am delighted to read your comments and feedback and that you have felt well supported with regular follow up and contact from the team. We really value feedback of our teams, I will ensure that your feedback is shared with the staff of which I am sure they will be very pleased to hear such positive feedback about the service. Please feel free to continue to access the service for your support needs and I wish you the very best with your ongoing recovery! Best Wishes Glen Owen Acting Operational Manager.

9. Review titled Crisis care at night - again

by madperson - Posted on 19 October 2020

Two nights ago I had a particularly bad night and found myself extremely distressed and in a vulnerable position. I rang the crisis team and although the person I spoke to ensured the immediate danger I was in was resolved they did not follow my crisis plan and left me still distressed curled up on the kitchen floor The following night I woke up to find myself extremely upset after another distressing event. I rang the crisis team and spoke to someone I had not spoken to before who through my distress told me to go and have a bath. I explained that I had deep wounds that meant I was unable to have a bath and if mental distress was resolved that easily we would have bath houses and not crisis teams. They did not look at my notes or follow my crisis plan and left me still distressed and overwhelmed. In my distress I curled up on the bathroom floor and cried. A few hours later I hurt myself and rang back where yet again I did not receive a lot of help Next night at 12am after a vivid nightmare and waking up in a wet bed I rang the crisis team again. I was upset and felt unsafe. I stressed that I didn’t want to hurt myself like the previous night but felt the same way as I had previously. The same person as the night before again told me to have a bath and I reminded them that I couldn’t. They basically told me to use distraction techniques and left me curled up on the bathroom floor I curled up and cried. I felt overwhelmed and frightened for my safety. I hadn’t been able to ground myself and they hadn’t followed my clear crisis plan I rang 111 in distress and spoke to some very supportive people. A nurse rang me back and I had to go through why I was struggling which was very triggering and upsetting. She said that she would ring the crisis team and ask them to look at my crisis plan and ring me back to support me. She spoke to the crisis team and explained how I was feeling and they said that they would ring me back within 2 hours!!! Later on I was shivering on the bathroom floor in distress for three hours. The crisis did not ring me back for several hours. I was shaking and crying and feeling very overwhelmed and unsupported. This makes me feel unsupported and very unsafe. I was advised to ring 999 if I couldn’t keep myself safe but I feel that I don’t want to have to go through my distress all over again. It makes me feel worse. I have written a clear crisis plan for the team to follow that supports me and is very effective. I know that new people join the service from time to time and they don’t know me. In my distress it isnt always easy to explain how I am feeling and I need help to ground me and to get me to think of a plan to keep me safe. I didnt feel safe that night. I have been struggling with my mental health more so than normal recently

Visited October 2020

Report review titled Crisis care at night - again as unsuitable

Replied on 20 October 2020

Dear Madperson Thank you for your post, I am saddened to hear that you feel you have not received the correct support and response from the crisis service. The team value feedback as it helps improve the service that we offer. I hope you feel able to contact the Team Leader Claire Wade or myself directly so we can hear your complaint more fully and address the matter more directly. Sarah Taylor (acting service manager) 0115 9560800 sarah.taylor4@nottshc.nhs.uk

10. Review titled Support for patient and carer

by frostpq69 - Posted on 05 October 2020

Although I could see that my husband was losing mental capacity - it took a long time to convince our GP, but eventually we were referred to the mental health dept at Lings Bar Hospital. The staff were quick to realise that my husband's memory was much worse than stated by the GP. We had regular appointments for assessment. These were conducted sympathetically with quick follow-up feedback in written form. Eventually my husband was given a diagnosis of mixed dementia which was explained clearly to us and the correct medication prescribed. I was informed of the many sources of help for patient and carer. We cannot fault the service we received from this department which made us feel valued as both patient and carer.

Visited October 2020

Report review titled Support for patient and carer as unsuitable

Replied on 05 October 2020

Dear frostpq69 Thankyou so much for taking the time to give such lovely feedback regarding the service you received. We appreciate all feedback and are glad to have been of help and support at this time. Many thanks Jayne Gething Rushcliffe Integrated MH Team Leader