Lister Hospital

1. Review titled Amazing staff

by Julia - Posted on 08 June 2021

After a wound became infected, I headed into a and e at 7 am expecting a long and frustrating wait. I was happily proved very wrong! Systems in place for the red and yellow zones were great, staff worked quickly and kept me updated constantly as to what they were doing. Within 20 mins I was booked in and bloods taken. Surgery booked for tomorrow. The sister, consultants who saw me and the nursing staff were very kind and friendly. I did tell the sister I would leave a review. There’s so much negativity about the nhs. I for one cannot complain about the excellent care I have received.

Visited Accident and emergency services on June 2021

Report review titled Amazing staff as unsuitable

2. Review titled Booking system for pathology

by Gillian Brinkworth - Posted on 05 June 2021

As someone who frequently has to have blood tests, I am delighted that it's at last possible to book a timed appointment for a test. It makes so much sense that I can't understand why it wasn't possible before. Long may the system continue!

Visited Don't know on June 2021

Report review titled Booking system for pathology as unsuitable

3. Review titled New booking system for blood tests works well

by Gillian Brinkworth - Posted on 05 June 2021

As a frequent user of the pathology service, I am delighted that there is now a booking system for blood tests. To be honest, I don't know why there wasn't one before. This makes attending pathology so much more efficient and definitely needs to stay.

Visited Don't know on June 2021

Report review titled New booking system for blood tests works well as unsuitable

4. Review titled Endoscopy- Great Nurses

by Robert Altringham - Posted on 17 May 2021

I would like to say a big thank you to the nursing team who looked after me today during my Colonoscopy procedure in Endoscopy. From the check in team, during the procedure to recovery afterwards, I was made to feel at ease by all of the friendly staff. Thank you very much

Visited Colorectal cancer services on May 2021

Report review titled Endoscopy- Great Nurses as unsuitable

5. Review titled lack of courtesy by staffof McMillan cancer centre

by Danielle Young - Posted on 27 May 2021

I was told to attend on 25 May at 9.30am at Mc Millan Cancer Center Lister Hospital, for chemo treatment cycle 5 for ovarian cancer. I arrived at 9.15am in order to be called in to start treatment on time. I was kept waiting until 10.30 am when nearly every patients who arrived after me were called in long before me. When a nurse finally called my name at 10.30 am I expressed my disatisfaction by saying simply "finally" with a smile. Instead of apologising for the delay she shouted in my face "stop being so rude, show some respect to the staff" at the top of her voice. The surprise of her behaviour triggered some dizzy spells and I had to stop twice to recover my balance on the way to the treament room. She showed no concern for this. She took me to a seat and spent another 10 minutes berated me at the top of her voice so that every other patient could listened to her treating me like a naughty child misbehaving at school and showing disrespect to teachers leaving me embarrassed and humiliated. In addition she was very clumsy when putting the canula in ignoring the pain she was inflicting me so much so that I one point I screamed due to the intensity of the pain. She finally gave up and called another nurse who put in the canula within a few second and with hardly any pain. I apreciate that the nurse was not responsible for the delay, the blame resting with an appointment system who calls all patients in at 9.30 when it is obvious that nurses can only process four to five patients in one hours. The simple remedy being that appointments should be staggered during the morning . If I cannot be seen before 10.30 then I should be asked to attend at 10.30. It is unacceptable to be crammed in a waiting room with not more explanation for the delay than "sit there and wait your turn will come eventually" I was even told by another nurse that this was the NHS and you could not expect anything better and should be grateful for what I was getting since I did not have to pay for it. This attitude is totally unacceptable from NHS staff who should be asked to re-read the NHS constitution who states that all patients should be treated with consideration and courtesy. This being specially true for cancer patients who already have to stress with a life threatening illness and the very distressing side effects of the drugs they receive. I was advised to place a formal complaint via PALS but I am not willing to take the complaint further as most nurses are very hard working and caring. I would expect that the appointment system be looked at to make patients experience better.

Visited Don't know on May 2021

Report review titled lack of courtesy by staffof McMillan cancer centre as unsuitable

6. Review titled Excellent care

by Anonymous - Posted on 14 May 2021

Couldn't have been given better care. All staff at all levels were kind and professional and explained everything thoroughly. Thank you.

Visited Stroke on May 2021

Report review titled Excellent care as unsuitable

7. Review titled Cancelled appointment. Poor Communication

by Aitchemm - Posted on 14 April 2021

Attended Lister today for an Endocrinology out-patient appointment - only to be told it had been cancelled. Also told that a cancellation letter had been posted on 31st December but I can say categorically that this was not received. After a 25 minute telephone call I managed to book a new appointment in six weeks time. I do understand that the NHS has been more than busy but the lack of communication has left me more than disappointed. Over many years my condition has never quite reached the top of the in tray and this further delay is just one more straw on the camel's back.

Visited Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine on April 2021

Report review titled Cancelled appointment. Poor Communication as unsuitable

8. Review titled Great support from staff

by Hon Hat - Posted on 01 April 2021

On behalf the residents and staff at Honister care home in Hatfield, I wish to say a big thank you to the staff who support one of our resident and his carer today, the feedback from the carer is that staff were very welcoming and kind to them and could not do enough to ensure that they were well support and got them on their way back home. Many many thanks for all the hard work, care and support, we really do appreciate it. Juline Thomas-Dixon Manager Honister Care Home Hatfield

Visited Cardiology on April 2021

Report review titled Great support from staff as unsuitable

9. Review titled Bad Administration

by Brian Sherwood - Posted on 12 April 2021

Usually I have found the Administration to be good,BUT: I had an appointment for 07/04/21 at 12:30. Advised by phone of cancellation of this appointment and told a new date and time. This was confirmed by post as 12/04/21 at 11:00. Arrived at Lister for new appointment to be told that this appointment had been cancelled. A person from Administration said they had advised me of this cancellation, but not so. I now understand I have a further appointment for 10/5/21 at 12:30. Fingers crossed.

Visited Cardiology on April 2021

Report review titled Bad Administration as unsuitable

10. Review titled dreadful hospital

by Anonymous - Posted on 09 June 2021

i was admitted to Lister following a life saving operation at another hospital, which was brilliant with wonderful staff. I was unfortunately then transferred to Lister for approximately 10 days prior to then being transferred to Danesbury QVM. i found the Lister ward was unclean and the staff, when you actually saw any, were rude and abrupt in manner and spoke to you like you were a complete idiot. The consultant only appeared once on the ward round whilst I was there and when I tried to ask him some questions about my case, he was very abrupt and said he was busy and had no time to answer any questions - who else was I supposed to ask - the cleaner!! My entire experience of Lister hospital was absolutely awful and can only hope I do not go back there any time soon.

Visited Stroke on April 2021

Report review titled dreadful hospital as unsuitable