How can I find a registered dietitian or nutritionist?

Whether you consult a registered dietitian or a registered nutritionist will depend on the kind of advice you want.

A dietitian is a qualified health professional, who as well as providing general health advice, can also work with people with special dietary needs due to health conditions such as coeliac disease.

A nutritionist should be able to provide information about food and healthy eating, but not about special diets for medical conditions.


You can find a registered dietitian:

The title "dietitian" is protected by law. This means you're not allowed to call yourself a dietitian unless you're properly qualified and registered with the HCPC.

Registered dietitians are regulated by the professional association for dietitians, the British Dietetic Association.


The title of nutritionists isn't protected by law, meaning that anyone can advertise their services as a nutritionist. So it's important to find a nutritionist who is appropriately qualified and registered by a trustworthy professional body.

The Association for Nutrition is a well-respected professional body for nutritionists in the UK and has a list of nutritionists who've received an approved level of training.

Search for a registered nutritionist near you on the Association for Nutrition's website.

Further reading

The BDA has a guide with more information on dietitians and nutritionists called Dietitian, Nutritionist, Nutritional Therapist or Diet Expert? – a comprehensive guide from the British Dietetic Association (PDF, 659kb).

Read the answers to more questions about healthy eating.

Further information

Page last reviewed: 22/11/2016
Next review due: 22/11/2019