What should I do if I think I've got an STI?

If you think you may have a sexually transmitted infection (STI), go to your GP or local sexual health or GUM (genitourinary medicine) clinic. Most STIs can be successfully treated, but it’s important to get any symptoms checked as soon as possible.

Find your nearest GUM clinic and read about what happens at an STI clinic.

Sexually transmitted infections

STIs are infections that are passed on through unprotected sex (not using a condom) or genital contact. They include:

When should I go to the GUM clinic or sexual health clinic?

Go to a GUM or sexual health clinic if you have any of the following symptoms:

In women:

In men:

  • discharge from your penis
  • pain in your testicles

In women and men:

  • pain when passing urine
  • itching, burning or tingling around your genitals
  • blisters, sores, spots or lumps around your genitals or anus
  • black powder or tiny white dots in your underwear (this could be droppings or eggs from pubic lice)

Some GP practices, contraception clinics, young people’s services and some pharmacies may also provide testing for some STIs.

Not everyone with an STI has symptoms. You should get checked if:

  • you’ve had unprotected sex with a new partner
  • you or your sexual partner have had sex with someone else without using a condom
  • your sexual partner has any symptoms
  • you’re planning to get pregnant and may have been at risk of infection

Read the answers to more questions about sexual health.

Further information:


Page last reviewed: 14/05/2015

Next review due: 14/05/2018