Royal Blackburn Hospital

01254 263555 Haslingden Road, Haslingden Road , Blackburn, Lancashire, BB2 3HH

276 total | 1 found Show all reviews

Major Distress gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Royal Blackburn Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Attempted removal of wisdom teeth.............

Having specifically asked for sedation and signed the relevant forms, I was most annoyed that the procedure was attempted under a Local and had to be abandoned part way through because I was in too much discomfort. In short, the whole episode was a shambles as I was told that in order to remove the tooth my gums had to be cut. I assumed that this was always going to be the case, and that is why my Dentist referred me to an Oral Surgeon and also why, for myself, sedation was required. I had a P.E.G fitted to my stomach during last October and I have no memory of the operation because I requested and was given quite heavy Sedation. I mistakenly, it seems, assumed that things would be the same on this occasion. I left the Hospital having been told that I would have to go back to Clinic for another assessment, and I have to say that I was most unhappy with the whole situation and angry at the way it was ultimately handled. I now await information on how things are going to proceed.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 16 February 2016

Royal Blackburn Hospital replied on 19 February 2016

Many thanks for your comments regarding your experience of care with the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department at Royal Blackburn Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so. I am really sorry for your experience and that you are unhappy and angry at the way it was ultimately handled. In order for me to investigate further, it would be really useful if you could let me have some more information. I would appreciate it if you would contact the patient experience team on 01254 734087 or alternatively you can email my colleague Melissa Almond on melissa.almond@elht.nhs.uk.

Again, I am really sorry for your experience and we hope to hear from you soon.
Many thanks

Helen Ritchie
Senior patient experience facilitator.