Furness General Hospital

01229 870870 Dalton Lane , Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria, LA14 4LF

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Furness General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Superb service from our fabulous NHS

Spent yesterday at FGH whilst my wife had an operation to remove a large ovarian cyst. Everything from the diagnostic work undertaken in advance through to every aspect of the service and care before, during and after surgery has been exemplary. Dr. is an absolutely lovely person instills huge confidence. They and the surgical team have done an excellent job and the nursing team pre and post op deserve medals for the skill and care they demonstrated consistently. We did a circuit of wards throughout the day..Day Surgery, Theatre, Recovery, Patient Progression, & back to Day Surgery. All absolutely superb. How anyone can complain about our fabulous NHS is beyond me. Thankyou Dr. Ogah & Thankyou to everyone else who looked after us yesterday. Genuinely appreciated..

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 12 October 2017

Furness General Hospital replied on 13 October 2017

Hello, thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We are glad to hear that you and your wife had a good experience while at Furness General Hospital and that our staff made sure you were looked after in all departments. I have passed your kind comments onto the teams involved who I know will really appreciate them. Thank you again.

Paul Cresswell gave General Surgery at Furness General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

top class care

I had to go to Furness General hospital for care on 16/10/2017 as advised by my GP
surgery .The service i received amazed me it was so professional and caring
Every body i met was so kind and i was at all times kept in the loop to my treatment.
From reception ,A@E ,the day unit and surgical team that looked after me were brilliant
The staff i met all really listen to my concerns, and apprehension , which is a very difficult
skill when under pressure. it gave me 100% confidence in my treatment .
A massive thank you for being there and for all your help with my recovery.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 20 October 2017

Furness General Hospital replied on 03 November 2017

Hi Paul, thank you so much for your review. We're pleased to hear that you had a good experience at Furness General Hospital and that you were 100% confident in your treatment. I have passed your kind words onto the teams involved. Thank you again, and all the best for your recovery.

Pats Family gave Accident and emergency services at Furness General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

WARD 2, Caring, Kind & Helpful

Our Mam who suffered with dementia, broke her hip last week. The dignity, care & attention they gave our Mam was first class. It started in A&E & continued in ward 2. Sadly our Mam died, but the palliative care from ward 2 staff was wonderful. We give them 10 out of 10.. well done you Angels. A great big thankyou must go to the Macmillan nurse, very kind member of staff.
Well done to all and thankyou for all your care

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 24 October 2017

Furness General Hospital replied on 03 November 2017

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're glad to hear that your mum was well looked after in Furness General Hospital, and that the care from our staff helped her and you during such a difficult time. I have passed your kind comments onto the teams involved, who I know will really appreciate them. Thank you again, and all the best.

steffie gave Orthopaedics at Furness General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

excellent care again for a total knee replacement

Working as a healthcare assistant for many years at FGH, I have a appreciation of how stretched hospital staff can be. But, once again, I found all the staff on Elective Unit at Furness General extremely present, understanding and courteous. Nothing was too much for them and, at all times, they explained what they were doing. Although the patients are both male and female,I never felt that this was a problem as everyone had their own private room. Even after I had a reaction to the anaesthetic in the early hours of the morning, the anaesthetised came and gave me something which helped alleviate the discomfort.
So good to be on the reiving end of such excellent treatment...

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 25 October 2017

Furness General Hospital replied on 03 November 2017

Hi there, thank you for your comment. We're glad to hear that you had a positive experience at Furness General Hospital, and that the staff were understanding and courteous during your time with us. I have passed your comment onto the teams involved. Thank you again, and all the best for your recovery.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Furness General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fabulous care, staff a credit to the trust

I attended ward 1 at Furness General very early this morning to have a novasure endrometrial ablation. This should have happened yesterday but due to unforeseen circumstances was not able to go ahead then. I arrived promptly to be met by very friendly but tired staff who were still on nightshirt. They could not have been kinder and they explained the whole process to me. I was informed that I would be first on the list in theatre as although I wasn't having a general my consultant had a full schedule for today and was hoping to get my procedure done first. A number of nurses on the ward introduced themselves and helped me with my gown as well as administering drugs. Th consultant came in and explained what would be happening and apologised for the delay in treatment. I was then spoken to by the most lovely doctor who again told me what would be happening and said they would see me in theatre. A Nurse came to escort me around and introduced me to all the other staff who immediately made me more at ease with their banter making me feel very calm under the circumstances. Whilst I can't pretend the procedure didn't hurt every detail was decribed and the wonderful doctor held my hand throughout and relayed information from the consultant who again was incredibly thorough and a genuinely lovely person. Following my procedure I was returned to the ward where I was able to return home a short time later. I cannot recall everyone's name I'm sorry but I must say that of the twenty or so staff who were involved in my care today their behaviour and manner was exemplary and they are a credit to the hospital. Very very well done and thank you so much to each and every one of you.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 27 October 2017

Furness General Hospital replied on 03 November 2017

Hello, thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review. We're so pleased to hear that our staff looked after you and made sure you were at ease and fully informed at all stages during your visit to Furness General. I have passed your kind words onto the teams involved, who I know will really appreciate them. Thank you again.

Anonymous gave Furness General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Day staff amazing, night staff rude and arrogant.

I spent 2 days in the medical assessment unit. Was feeling very unwell due to bacterial infection. The treatment I received was first class the day staff were so kind and understanding. Unfortunately I can not say the same for evening staff! Very rude almost ignorant.

I was in a bay with 6 other ladies who sadly most of had dementia, which is not a problem to me as I work in care, the way at least 2 members of staff treated these ladies was unacceptable, hearing how one lady smelt and completely ignoring another lady while changing her pad chatting over her about aqua aerobics. I could go on but to much to write down.

I would not choose to stay here again.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 17 September 2017

Furness General Hospital replied on 26 September 2017

Hi there, we're so sorry to hear that you did not feel you received the same high level of care and attention during all times of your stay at Furness General Hospital. We would like to investigate this further to understand what went wrong and how we can improve. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison team on 01539 795497 to help us carry out this work. Thank you, and hope to hear from you soon.

Joanne gave Accident and emergency services at Furness General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care in A and E

I went to A and E at 4pm and was treated by a wonderful doctor who was very kind and very patient ! As I was very nervous and in a lot of pain. I left at 550pm ! Very quick and I left feeling very grateful to all who saw to me from reception , triage and the main doctor:) thank you x

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 13 August 2017

Furness General Hospital replied on 25 August 2017

Hi Joanne, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear that you had a good experience at Furness General Hospital and that you were seen quickly. I have passed your comments onto the teams involved who I know will really appreciate them. Thanks again.

Gordon Groves gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Furness General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ENT consult - sleep clinic

No queue; seen on time; excellent atttude by nurse and consultant; I was given excellent information and guidance and I had the final decision.

Absolutely no negative comments

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 16 August 2017

Furness General Hospital replied on 25 August 2017

Hi Gordon, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I have passed your comments onto the teams involved, who I know will really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Caroline Green gave General Surgery at Furness General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exceptional standard of care on day unit

I had day surgery last week, staying on the unit overnight. Every single member of staff was exceptionally caring, responsive and reassuring. The ward was bright, clean and well run at all times even though it was busy. My care epitomised the absolute best of the NHS. Thank you to all. My prior experiences in A&E and outpatients for the same condition were also good and I would describe FGH as a flagship hospital.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 27 August 2017

Furness General Hospital replied on 20 September 2017

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're so pleased to hear that you had a great experience at Furness General Hospital and that our staff made you feel reassured and cared for during your visit. I have passed your comments onto the teams involved who I know will really appreciate them. Thanks again.

Jules gave Surgery - Breast at Furness General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Treatment at the breast clinic

Shown to a waiting area very quickly and promptly. Seen within 10 mins of waiting, examined and everything explained very well. Taken for further tests very promptly again. Lovely staff and very attentive at all times.
I felt very comfortable all the time, and cared for very well.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 14 July 2017

Furness General Hospital replied on 10 August 2017

Hi Jules, thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. I have passed your kind words onto the teams involved who I know will really appreciate them. Thanks again.