Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

01603 286 286 Colney Lane , Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY

DRW45 reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

The quality of care

Suffered Heart attack and called 999. Ambulance arrived within 10 minutes despite the fact that I live in a very rural area. Ambulance staff were excellent and within 20 minutes had carried out a detailed analysis and appropriate course of action and transported to N&N. Staff were superb, gentle and very calming.
At arrival at hospital met be hospital staff and taken straight to operating room where procedure to insert stent was carried out.
Once again staff were excellent and kept me well informed throughout the process.
Amazingly the total time from the original 999 call to being tucked up in Coronary Care observation bed was 2 1/2 hours. Absolutely brilliant.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 15 November 2018 using Care Opinion

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Debbie gave Orthopaedics at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

FIRST CLASS ALL THE WAY

As a day case I wondered if I would be on a conveyor belt, ananymous and rushed out, but in reality I had first class treatment all the way,from the post op cup of tea and toast, my HCA, nurses, anaesthetic staff to the operating surgeon, who definitely included me in making decisions right up to morning of the op.
Friendly, professional and reassuring, I felt very safe with the checks, and pain has been completely controlled as of 10 hours post op.
A warmer blanket post op would have completed my comfort.
Thank you to everyone involved. You are an amazing team.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 16 November 2018

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing care

My husband ended up visiting an extremely busy A&E at approx 10pm on Wednesday evening. He was suffering from extreme dental pain which had got progressively worse over a few days to the point of it being intolerable. With there being no sort of availability at our regular dentist day after day, out of desperation he then rang 111 who then informed him there is no OOH emergency dental provision during the week in NorfolkSuffolk. He was advised his only option would be
A & E @ NNUH. On arrival he was triaged and almost immediately called through and assessed by a Dr, who sorted out Anti- biotics and more adequate pain relief to see him through until he could get in at our dentist.
From arrival to departure it took 35 mins. What a first class team, providing excellent levels of care and support to their patients. Well impressed with every aspect of how this busy overstretched department works. Top class.

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 18 October 2018

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 October 2018

Dear Family Member
Thank you for your kind comments about the care your husband recently received from the department. I am pleased to read that staff were efficient and professional. I will share this with the staff involved and senior staff in the hospital. Thank you for taking the time to write with your thanks and praise.

blondie59 reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

No advice for aftercare

Every member of staff were lovely especially my surgeon the anaesthetic team. It was plain that most shifts were short staffed, which was no fault of the staff. I went home the day after my surgery & I wish I had been able to stay in another night as I was in so much pain. Also I never had any advice about any problems to look out for or my wound care, stitches or anything. I have had to look online about everything.

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 21 October 2018 using Care Opinion

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 November 2018

Dear Patient
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent inpatient stay. I am pleased to read that staff were kind and caring, but sorry to read there were some negative aspects to your stay. I will share this with senior staff in the hospital so we can look at improvements to our service to patients. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact PALS by email at [pals@nnuh.nhs.uk](mailto:pals@nnuh.nhs.uk) or by telephone on 01603 289036. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.

Audiology patient reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Audiology

I recently visited the BAHA clinic.
As usual, I was treated with the utmost respect, professionalism, kindness and understanding by Amanda, the Audiologist. I have seen her for a number of years for complex hearing difficulties. Amanda (and other audiologists I have seen) have been outstanding in trying to find ways to help me adapt to work and social situations. Amanda has said to me - we will help you hear the best that you can - and they have worked tirelessly to achieve this, often fitting me in for short notice appointments when I was experiencing difficulties. I would like to send my compliments to Amanda and the Audiology Team, they are a credit to the hospital.
On a separate note, there is a new building outside the sound proof clinic room. This makes the room much darker as there was very little light coming in, which impacts on the patient experience (and, I presume, must impact on the staff working in there). There were workmen walking past the window, which was distracting while I was having a hearing test, so Amanda drew the curtains to ensure my privacy and dignity was maintained. I understand that this building is a new Discharge Suite. It is a shame it has been located so close to Audiology and I hope that when this is opened, that privacy and dignity can be maintained for audiology patients - we deserve just as much respect as other patients. I also hope care and consideration can be given to Audiology staff - they deserve it.

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 30 October 2018 using Care Opinion

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 October 2018

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent attendance at the hospital, I am pleased to read that Amanda and the team have been professional and caring. I will share this with her, the team and senior staff in the hospital. I am sorry to read you had difficulties with the clinic environment and again, I will share this with senior staff, so they are aware.
Thank you for taking the time to write and for bringing this to my attention.
Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager

Gail Tyler gave General Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Kimberley ward

I would like to thank all staff concerned for looking after my father William (Bob) Harrison who sadly died last Friday. Nobody in the family knew about my father’s cancer. The Doctor Who told me I’m sorry I don’t know her name was so kind and considerate to my feelings as I am the only child left. His care for the next 10 days was nothing but exemplary he was treated with complete dignity and made to feel as comfortable as possible during the last days of his life. I’d also like to thank the staff again for making it possible for his wife to be on the same ward. That made life considerably easier for her.
I can’t thank any of you enough and I have had many surgeries at the N& N and I’ve always been treated with the greatest respect and everything that has been done. I sincerely hope Kimberly Ward receives this message of my thanks.

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 03 October 2018

Dear Family Member
Thank you for your comments regarding your father's inpatient admission to Kimberley Ward. I am sorry to read he recently passed away and send you my condolences. I am pleased to read that both your father and the family were treated with kindness and compassion. I share your kind words with the staff involved in your father's care as well as senior staff in the hospital. Thank you for taking the time to write.
Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Quick and easy experience

Very quickly called in for appointment. I was treated with respect and everything that happened was explained.

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 11 October 2018

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about you recent outpatient attendance. I am pleased to read that staff were efficient and professional. I will share this with all staff involved as well as senior staff in the hospital. Thank you for taking the time to write.
With kind regards

Laurence Barnett gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Treatment for cirrhosis

Diagnosed fully between November 2016 and February 2017 with cirrhosis of the liver after blood tests on my 65 year old check up at GP surgery.. Consultant and all staff treated me with care and empathy. Since then have been for several 6 monthly follow up ultrasound scans and outpatient visits and found the service of the tallest order. Waiting is kept to a minimum (and on one occasion when running half hour behind it was announced early on and apologised for), The hepatology staff, and especially Dr, consultant, take time to answer questions and speak plainly.. Well done N&N!

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 13 October 2018

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent experiences at the hospital. I am pleased to read that you have been well cared for and communication from staff has been good. I will share this with the staff involved as well as senior staff in the hospital. Thank you fort taking the time to write.
With kind regards

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Chris Hethel Ward

Hi..
My husband was admitted to the N&N on Sunday 2nd September. ..
From the moment he was assed in resusus, his treatment and care was phenomenal.
He spent two nights in the acute medical ward and then was transfered to Hethel Ward.
He was nil by mouth for ten days but the prompt ongoing treatment was continuas.
The Nurses and Doctors were exemplemtary. ..
Not sure if we can name but thank you..
You know who you are.
We always hear the bad things but no words can say.
' The biggest Thank You ' to all who were concerned in my hubby's recovery.
' Simply The Best '...
If only he could have enjoyed the wonderful meals that were on offer every day.
Regards.
Lesley...A very grateful wife.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 13 October 2018

Dear Family Member
Thank you for your kind comments about your husband's recent inpatient stay. I am pleased to read that staff were professional, kind and caring. I will share this with the staff involved, as well as senior staff in the hospital. Thank you for taking the time to write with your thanks and praise.
With kind regards

Derek Chisnall gave at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent teamwork ensures positive experience and outcome

Recently I was discharged from Docking ward following emergency surgery the week before, and I must express my complete admiration and thanks to the whole team I encountered during my stay. I speak also on behalf of my wife and adult children who encountered nothing but kindness during those difficult days.
From the operating surgeon, the consultant, A & E, the nursing staff and through every department right down to those doing the mundane but essential tasks there was always kindness, humour and complete dedication.
Of course I have seen some of the negative publicity these last few months, and now even more so following this experience I am baffled as to whether it really fairly speaks of your wonderful hospital and staff.
Let me explain a little more:
A & E – I was rushed in late morning with terrible abdominal pains getting worse. The Receptionist was charming, empathetic and within 15 minutes I was seen in triage. Observations, blood test, portable scan and pain relief followed in quick succession with the result I was quickly transferred to Majors.
Majors – full scan, x-ray, and regular observations identified that I needed to go to Emergency Assessment on Easton Ward, which happened around 7pm.
Easton Ward – much of the same while the scan result was awaited, and a sino tube was inserted. A surgeon came and explained clearly what the scan revealed and that meant I would be given some medicine which might make the bowel untwist itself, and if not there would be an operation.
Docking ward – marvellous! I was transferred there after 24 hours on Easton and the care was meticulous, friendly and reassuring. The consultant saw me on Friday afternoon, thoroughly explained everything and the need for an operation, which took place later that evening.
Operating theatre – anaesthetist and her team were marvellous, surgeon reassuring, and I was out for the count before I entered the theatre.
Post Op recovery – cannot praise this too highly.
The whole experience was superbly orchestrated and indeed I had exactly the same experience on Denton ward in July 2017 when I came in for a knee replacement.
CONCLUSION: It is so easy for officialdom to impose targets and for all and sundry to criticise when it is perceived they are not met in some way – my own experience of targets is that they should never be self-serving, but always enable those targeted to move forward in a positive, realistic and achievable manner.
Laying in bed in A & E it was easy to spot a well-tuned process where everyone played their part and the passage of the patient was effectively escalated and as short as possible. Only in that way can the best of outcomes be achieved for the patient.
Laying in bed in Docking ward the same kind of well-oiled team effort shone through – how else could you guys cope with the sheer volume of patients?

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 14 October 2018

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent and previous inpatient admissions. I am pleased to read that staff were kind, professional and caring and demonstrated excellent teamwork. I will share this with the staff involved, as well as senior staff in the hospital. Thank you for taking the time to write with your thanks and praise.