Pinderfields Hospital

0844 8118110 Calls cost 5p per minute plus your phone company's access charge. Pinderfields Hospital, Aberford Road , Wakefield, West Yorkshire, WF1 4DG

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Pinderfields Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Don't visit A&E unless it's critical

Firstly, just like to say the staff deserve a medal for their commitment and dedication to a very difficult and challenging job!!

We visited A&E on Thursday 5th Oct, initial reception was good and we saw a nurse within the first half hour of arrival. We anticipated a 2 hour wait so after arriving at 9.30 pm we hoped to be seen by 12 pm at least. Our waiting time progressed to 2pm at which point we began to wonder what was happening, there was no communication between staff and patient. We had no idea of how long we would be waiting and no one seemed to care! The staff were busy and there was absolutely no indication of when we would be seen. I was astonished by the lack of communication and watched the hours go by until 3.30 pm at which point I decided my daughter, although in agony would be better at home in a comfortable bed rather than a metal chair which she had sat on for the past 6 hours!! There were other people around us in agony and needing attention but there was no medical help available as they were dealing with resuscitation cases next door which is obviously a priority but the majority of people do not go to A&E for fun. It's a disgraceful situation and I was dumbfounded by the organisation and lack of help available to people who go to A&E for a reason. For the sake of everyone there that night and others who will follow I will be writing to the local MP to highlight the crisis of the NHS at the House of Commons. Im sure those in higher places would not tolerate the same treatment so why should we? Once again the staff are not at fault, they're doing their best in a very difficult situation and do not deserve to work under such pressures. Finally we left at 3.30 to go home and managed to see a GP the next morning but feel very disappointed by our experience at the hospital, we won't be going again unless something changes which we doubt very much under the current situation.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 06 October 2017

Pinderfields Hospital replied on 09 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback on NHS Choices.

I am sorry to hear that you visit to A&E was not a positive one. This is not something we would not want any one to experience when using our services.

I wonder if talking to our PALS team and sharing your feedback would help. They can be contacted on 01924 542972 or on pals@midyorks.nhs.uk.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Alexandra88 reviewed Pinderfields Hospital

Care from MLU and Ward 18

Incredibly sensitive care from admission to discharge. I had got a nasty bug at 38 weeks   pregnant. I felt dreadful and was so scared on top of that. Every member of staff was kind, courteous and thoughtful; doctors, nurses and auxiliary staff. I was reassured, well informed as to what was happening and felt like me and my little lady were in very safe hands. I'm still waiting for her arrival but I feel so confident in returning to Pinderfields to get my angel into the world safe and sound. A huge thanks to the entire team.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 10 October 2017 using Care Opinion

Catherine gave Dermatology at Pinderfields Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing staff!

I had a biopsy done here today, I was extremely nervous but the nurses and consultant were amazing. They explained everything very throughly , made me feel at ease, one nurse literally held my hand the whole time. Great team!!

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 11 October 2017

Pinderfields Hospital replied on 13 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on NHS Choices.

You have provided such lovely feedback which will be passed onto the staff concerned. Receiving feedback is really important to them and they will be so pleased to hear of the positive impact they had on your overall experience.

Imran patel gave General Surgery at Pinderfields Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Feedback

I had a appendix operation today I was extremely nervous but the nurses and consultant were amazing. They explained everything very well thank you so much great staff
11 October 2017

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 12 October 2017

Pinderfields Hospital replied on 13 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on NHS Choices.

I am pleased to hear of your positive experience especially when you were feeling nervous. Having any type of procedure can be daunting and it is encouraging to hear of how supportive staff were to your needs.

I will pass on your lovely comments to the staff involved.

Thank you again and I wish you well with your recovery.

Neil Atkinson gave Pinderfields Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Resus and medical assessment wards

I was taken in by paramedics on Sunday the 8th I tv think it was about 8.30pm onto resus the treatment I received from the paramedics to the doctor and nurses on resus and medical assessment ward was top class they treated me and calmed me down perfectly I'm always full of admiration the only negative I can give is the domestic that brought the tea and they were very rude to the patients on the ward wast happy to be there not sure why they had the attitude to people when the nurses who were massively over work were excellent that was only bad experience which was a shame but a big thanks to medical staff

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 16 October 2017

Michelle Blakey. gave Gynaecology at Pinderfields Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Absolutely fantastic nurses

Attended Pinderfields yesterday for hysteroscopy. Obviously quite apprehensive due to nature of procedure and possible findings. But I had no need to be worried. The 2 nurses that carried out the hysteroscopy were absolutely fantastic. Everything explained in full. Not rushed. Made me feel 110% comfortable. So professional but warm and friendly too. An absolute credit to the dept. Thankyou.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 17 October 2017

G. Cooney gave General Surgery at Pinderfields Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First Class.

Attended yesterday to have a cyst removed from my leg. Despite there being a large number of waiting patients, the staff seemed calm and totally organised. All of the staff members, without exception, were thorough whilst at the same time, calm and very helpful.

Despite being busy, all of the nurses and the Doctor them self, had a relaxed and good humoured attitude which made a difficult situation much more comfortable. I cannot commend them highly enough.

I genuinely believe that, were I one of those people who pays a great deal of money for private health care, I would not have received any better care.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 22 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on NHS Choices.

I am really pleased to read of your positive experience especially at a time which as you describe, was difficult. It is encouraging to read what a positive impact staff have had on your overall experience.

I will pass on your feedback to the staff who will be thrilled to read your lovely comments.

Val Baines gave Haematology at Pinderfields Hospital a rating of 5 stars

How nice they are in the oncology department

I have just had a.bone marrow biopsy and they were love!y I was sat in waiting room when someone else came out after having the same procedure and told me how painful it was and me even more nervous but the doctor and the nurse were fantastic they carmed me down and explained everything and talked me though the procedure, they were fantastic ?? in fact the hole department was relaxed and the staff were smiling

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 06 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on NHS Choices.

I am pleased to read that the care and treatment you received was positive. It is encouraging to read how the care provided by staff has made your experience a positive one.

I will pass on your lovely comments to the all of the staff as it's important for them to receive feedback. I am sure they will be thrilled with your comments.

Steve Wood gave General Surgery at Pinderfields Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Top Marks

Had an umbilical hernia repair 05 sept 17. Very pleased with the procedure, care and friendliness of all the staff on gate 40 from admission to discharge. Everyone made me feel at home and should be highly praised.

Mr. Wood

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 07 September 2017

(Complaints & PALS Improvement Lead)

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Pinderfields Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Excellent staff and service.

My 86 year old mum was sent to A & E in an Ambulance by her GP because she was experiencing chest pain. Though she protested they were due to a long-standing condition that makes her prone to chest infections after a brief examination they insisted she went to hospital to double check it was not due to heart problems.
The ambulance staff were smiley and reassuring, very thorough when taking a history and carrying out their assessment,even repeating a couple of tests to make sure the results were consistent. They treated her with dignity and respect explaining the reason she needed to go to A & E to a very reluctant patient.
On arrival the hand-over to hospital staff was quick and she was soon seen by a triage nurse who did more assessments and explained the reasons behind the need to repeat tests she had had done at home. They took blood samples so carefully that there was no bleeding afterwards.
We were then sent to the waiting room where I was able to get her a drink of fresh cool water and she was soon called by a trainee Nurse practitioner who was excellent
. They took a very detailed history using sensitive questions to obtain the relevant information and carried out a very thorough physical examination and diagnosed that mum indeeed had a chest infection but explained this would need to be confirmed by an x-ray.
Off then to x-ray dept - taken by a lovely porter, seen very quickly and taken back by another really nice porter.
We then waited a while, but no more than 30 minutes, when the nurse returned they explained that all the tests had confirmed the diagnosis and having discussed the results with a consultant was able to proscribe appropriate medication. They kindly helped mum to the bathroom whilst I went to the pharmacy to get them.
I feel we saw the nhs at its best today and received excellent service from staff to be proud of.Thank-youi.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 06 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on NHS Choices.

I am really pleased to hear that your mother's whole experience of using the NHS has been such a positive one. It is always encouraging to hear that there has been a positive impact from our services especially at difficult and distressing times.

I have shared your kind words directly with the staff as it is important for them to hear how they have made such a difference. Receiving feedback is really important to them.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences with us.