Royal Bolton Hospital

01204 390390 Minerva Road, Farnworth , Bolton, Lancashire, BL4 0JR

343 total | 71 found in Ophthalmology Show all reviews

Sent by my optician.

I was referred by my optician for a check up on an abnormality found during a routine eye test. I arrived too early for my appointment but I was dealt with straight away in a very efficient and friendly manner. The consultant I saw was friendly and put me at ease straight away. Thankfully I didn't need any further treatment .
I would recommend this dept at Royal Bolton hospital to anybody.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 05 February 2018

Royal Bolton Hospital replied on 07 February 2018

That is good to know. Thank you for your recommendation - it is appreciated.

Joan gave Ophthalmology at Royal Bolton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

AMD diagnosis, treatment and ongoing reviews

I visited the eye unit today with my 94 year old mum who was diagnosed with AMD nearly 10 years ago. We can't thank the doctor enough for the initial fast diagnosis 10 years ago and the speed of the treatment and how much of a success it has been, it has saved my mum's eyesight which we are all thankful for as she is quite physically disabled and to have received the treatment so many years ago is down to the fact that Bolton Eye Unit was so much more advanced compared to other areas of the country. The doctor has always been so nice with my mum and us, he is very kind and caring and we hope he continues with his excellent service along with all the staff of the eye unit, please don't let him retire anytime soon!

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 07 February 2018

CNV treatment

Timely and effective treatment with injections successfully restored rapidly deteriorating vision. Continuing to receive excellent aftercare / monitoring.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 10 February 2018

Royal Bolton Hospital replied on 12 February 2018

A great outcome - we're so pleased. Thank you for posting this.

Judith gave Ophthalmology at Royal Bolton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Discovering retinal damage

Having been recommended to take Hydroxychloroquinine for SLE several years ago, I found in 2013 that the drug had caused damage to my retina. At that time the condition was advanced as there had been no means of seeing the damage in its earlier stages.
In 2014 new scanning machinery in the Bolton eye unit was introduced. This machinery is enabling specialists here to identify these problems sooner. Whilst late for me this technique
should enable greater monitoring and help the medical profession to make more informed decisions on the use of specific drugs and their effects on patient's eyes.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 18 December 2017

Royal Bolton Hospital replied on 19 December 2017

Hello Judith, while it is a pity newer techniques weren't available for you, as you rightly observe they are helping patients now. Thank you for posting this.

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Royal Bolton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Three years now and no problems

I was first referred three years ago and was seen in the Eye Unit as a matter of urgency. I have had over 15 injections and many clinic appointments. ALL the staff, without exception, have been so pleasant, friendly and efficient and I have sung their praises to my friends and relatives! I did write to the Manager of the Eye Unit at Bolton with similar comments. This is the NHS at its best and the unit and the staff should be cherished!!

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 20 December 2017

steve jefferys gave Ophthalmology at Royal Bolton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

eye surgery

My treatment to lift my eyebrow and also to take away some of my eye lids was a complete success and has improved my sight substantially.I found all the staff to be courteous and knowledgeable and I was given full insight as to the procedures to be carried out and also when the operation would take place.my overall view of this department is that it is excellent the department is very well run clean waiting times were not excessive.I would like to give a massive thank you to all the staff working in opthalmology

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 16 January 2018

Royal Bolton Hospital replied on 17 January 2018

Hello Steve, great testimonial thank you.

Chris Bakker gave Ophthalmology at Royal Bolton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Superb advice & care

We were very pleased with the advice and care given by the consultant we saw and they gave us reassurance and explanation at a very stressful time. They were thorough and all the staff there made a real difference.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 30 November 2017

Maddyb gave Ophthalmology at Royal Bolton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

10 months down the track

After 10 months of visits, 7 injections and several consultations, I was pleased to be able to have a meeting with my consultant once again. I was told truthfully the details of my wet AMD progression and the prognosis for the 'dry' eye. I have now been put on a programme of treatment that will mean injections of Lucentis every 6/8 weeks to keep the leakage under control.

I am also going to be added on the list that will enable the leak in the 'wet' eye to be tracked so that in the near future, I will be considered for laser treatment.

I was very pleased to be advised that there was no reason for me not to drive at the moment because I passed the eye tests which shows how much progress has been achieved by the care and attention shown to me by Royal Bolton's Opthalmology Department. I am very grateful. Thank you.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 03 December 2017

Royal Bolton Hospital replied on 04 December 2017

Thank you for posting this. It is always good to hear from patients and especially when we've been able to help them make good progress.

Dead heart man gave Ophthalmology at Royal Bolton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

CSCR after heart transplant

I had developed CSCR after a heart transplant and chose Bolton Royal Hospital because of the great reviews and I wasn't disappointed. The level of care is second to none by a very professional team, with a wealth of knowledge, experience and compassion. I felt involved with the diagnosis and the prognosis at every stage. They were sympathetic to the fact that I was at risk of kidney damage if I had a Fluorescein injection and managed to carry out the procedure using a different method, getting great images which were explained to me in detail. All in all a very pleasant experience.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 07 December 2017

Royal Bolton Hospital replied on 11 December 2017

Hello, after having a transplant it must have been worrying to be aware that some treatments might have caused kidney damage, so we are really pleased that our staff were able to treat you in a different way. Thank you for taking the time to post this. We wish you well for the future.

Eye clinic visit

Thorough examination by the doctor, good explanations, friendly reassuring and I never felt rushed at all. Very happy with my treatment on this visit.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 14 November 2017

Royal Bolton Hospital replied on 15 November 2017

Great to hear - thank you for sharing.