Royal Bolton Hospital

01204 390390 Minerva Road, Farnworth , Bolton, Lancashire, BL4 0JR

338 total | 81 found in Ophthalmology Show all reviews

Jill gave Ophthalmology at Royal Bolton Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Missing paper notes

I attended the pre-assessment clinic on 15th May 2018. Everything with the appointment went really well - the staff nurses treating me were very informative and professional.. Unfortunately they weren't able to give me an appointment for my cataract surgery as promised, as my paper notes had gone missing. I find it very hard to believe that, in this day and digital age, my surgery is conditional on paper notes. Everything else in the clinic was done electronically (monitoring vital statistics etc). For something that could well be upsetting and anxiety inducing and for such a major error to occur, I find disgusting. Where are my records? Who now will have access to them? And I'm also still waiting for a surgery date. Not happy.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 17 May 2018

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Royal Bolton Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Ophthalmic Clinic Waters Meeting Health Centte

In the 6 years I’ve been under RBH Glaucoma Clinic this has been my best experience. I finally got clear information about my condition (I’ve not got Glaucoma) I have occular hypertension, clarity about treatment, why I’d recently been prescribed medication and reasons. Previously this had never been made clear and I’d been unsure if I’d got Glaucoma or not! I now know the reasons I’ve got high eye pressure and why I’ve been put on medication. The setting was clean, staff friendly and responded to unresolved questions I had from my last two visits to the RBS Glaucoma clinic which had never been dealt with. I was seen on time and out within 60 minutes of my appointment time. This is acceptable due to eye drops and range of tests.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 17 May 2018

Royal Bolton Hospital replied on 22 May 2018

Hello, we're pleased that you had a good experience at the clinic. Thank you.

sheila cairns gave Ophthalmology at Royal Bolton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

'Excellence at it best'

I have received nothing but the very best in terms of treatment and care for both my cataract surgery and follow up laser treatment at Royal Bolton Hospital eye unit.
The care and attention to detail of both the nurses, doctors, surgeons and theatre staff is par excellence. The whole of my experiences for eye surgery and follow up treatment were effortless and highly successful, despite my initial apprehension and nervousness.
Cleanliness was of a high order and staff were immaculate in their attention to hygiene.
Professionals concerned are highly skilled and exemplary in practice. My surgery achieved excellent results in spite of my stigma and the follow up laser treatment was immaculate and precise. I can't praise the doctor's expertise highly enough. Very knowledgable, very experienced and secured my total trust and confidence in all procedures. They explained clearly to me what was to happen and talked me through the processes involved to enable my full understanding which alleviated any fears that I might have. I was born in the year of the birth of the NHS. It has served me well all my 70 years and the quality of professionals in the field now, in this case related to the eye unit, are exceptional in their areas of training and expertise.

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 26 April 2018

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Royal Bolton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

management of eye appointments and treatments

I have been attending Bolton Eye Hospital for several years -- the staff and treatment are fantastic. I dread to think how serious my eyesight would be without the injections received as both my eyes are 'Wet Macular'. However, I am also aware that speed of having the injections offers a much better result. Therefore, for me, and I would guess for many other patients that the waiting times for appointments, which are now 6 weeks plus, then having to wait nearly 2 weeks for the scan results, and another wait if an injection is required does cause anxiety.
The not knowing can and often does impact on lives in relation to other appointments and skirting around making any plans just in case it crosses over with an eye appointment. Yes, I know that patients can telephone to ask for another appointment, but then the fear is, it might be another long wait - Eyes come first, but we all have lives as well and being given a 6 week appointment on the same day would be just wonderful - then if we did need an injection that could be done within 2 weeks, it still leaves the required 4 week appointment after the injection.
My input is still based on my gratitude for the treatment offered by both venues - but if management could also be part of this, it would just be fantastic.

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 13 April 2018

Sandra Wood gave Ophthalmology at Royal Bolton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My visit to the Waters Meeting Health Centre......

I visited Waters Meeting Health Centre on the 25th April at 11.50am..
It is my second visit to the Ophthalmology dept.
I found it a pleasant clinic, quiet and quick.
All the staff were very kindly, helpful and informative.
Thank you all for your care and attention, it was very much appreciated.
Give an account of the experience you are commenting on, and give your

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 08 May 2018

Royal Bolton Hospital replied on 09 May 2018

Hello Sandra, pleased to hear all was well. Thanks for posting

Arlene Edmunds gave Ophthalmology at Royal Bolton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Eye Unit

I have been attending Bolton Eye Unit for a number of years and have received the best attention that anyone could expect, but today I attended and was informed that. I needed a Lucentis Injection, normally this is administered within. 1-2 days but I was informed that
There is now a waiting list and someone will contact me to make an appointment.

Why is there now a queue for this vital injection? Without knowing when an injection will be available it’s so very difficult to get on with your life and with severe sight impairment it’s so important to me and people like me to receive this injection ASAP.

I have no complaints with the department and it’s staff, they deliver In every way.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 27 March 2018

Dry AMD

Check up appointment with the consultant. Staff attention was excellent and efficient with minimal waiting time. The consultant took great care to clearly update my mother on her dry AMD condition, allowing a good deal of time for us to ask questions.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 28 March 2018

Royal Bolton Hospital replied on 09 April 2018

Lovely to read this - thank you.

NBA gave Ophthalmology at Royal Bolton Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Undervaluing Elderly Patients and Their Quality of Life

We attended our appointment after many months of waiting and initially attending various other opticians / clinics. We were redirected to the hospital for a final comprehensive solution as eyesight was now almost very low with a simple cataract operation to restore eyesight.

However, our testing phase was abruptly stopped after a few minutes and we were asked to go home, and the opportunity to have a simple cataract operation to restore eyesight and a basic quality of life was denied.

The hospital did not deem it worthy to offer a basic cataract operation due to the elderly nature of the patient with their illness history, as it was too uncomfortable for them to put them under an aneasthetic - the clinic preferred easy straightforward patients where no time or effort was required.

We were appalled by the nature with which they treated an elderly patient.

It is obvious that they are applying a cost benefit ratio to patients, and ignoring their needs. These same elderly patients and their families worked all their lives so their basic needs could be provided in older age but it is now obvious that this was a false promise.

Very unhappy and disappointed.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 01 April 2018

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Royal Bolton Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Check up

Have visited the eye hospital over the last 6 months for treatment for macula degeneration. On my last visit I was seen by the consultant optician and found him to be humorous and thorough and came away feeling a lot more cheerful than when I went in and more positive regarding the treatment for my condition.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 07 March 2018

Royal Bolton Hospital replied on 12 March 2018

That is good to hear. Thank you for letting us know.

Long term glaucoma care

The RBH Eye Unit has been monitoring my glaucoma and treating it with eye drops since the 1990s. Appointments have been regular - six monthly or more frequent when there was particular concern. I have had 40 Field Tests during that time, and photographs and scans with ever more sophisticated equipment as it has become available.

The staff have always been professional, but at the same time friendly and caring. The doctors and opticians have answered my questions and taken the trouble to explain details to me. As a result, I feel that my treatment has been a partnership between the department and myself.

With the use of eye drops my glaucoma has remained relatively stable and progression has been very slow. I have been so satisfied with my treatment that when I moved from Bolton in 2001 to another area of Greater Manchester I asked that I could keep on attending the RBH Eye Unit. My experience has been very positive.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 14 March 2018

Royal Bolton Hospital replied on 20 March 2018

Really interesting to hear and a lovely testimonial - thank you on behalf of the staff.