Royal Preston Hospital

01772 716565 Sharoe Green Lane North, Fulwood , Preston, Lancashire, PR2 9HT

David Hirst gave Plastic surgery at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The Staff at the plastic dressing clinic

Having attending this dept twice... I have felt that the staff really do care for patients in way I have got to say ...brilliant 10/10...they make you feel calm & explain what they have do...always checking that you are ok...& to me that speaks volumes about all the staff...so to anyone who will have to attend this Dept don't worry you are in good hands

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 01 October 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 16 October 2018

Our hard working and dedicated dressings clinic staff will be very touched to read this.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us,

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 3 stars

A&E feedback

I recently attended the Preston royal A&E department due an eye injury. Waiting times were as expected, reception staff were initially great and the attending nurse was great also - addressed the problem straight away. I was then offered to see a doctor at 11:30 am, 2 hours away, so elected to wait to avoid having to come back to the hospital. After 12:00pm and no mention of my name, I went to enquire at the reception. After waiting a few minutes for the same receptionist to even acknowledge my presence (they were talking amoungst themselves) I was directed to the first counter where no one was present. After waiting another few minutes for someone to turn up, I explained that my appointment time had come and gone to which there was confusion of even booking my appointment, even though I had an appointment card with the time. At 12:30, the doctor finally came to see me, literally spent less than 2 mins and said I have an injury, there is nothing you can do other than continue with the medication the nurse gave me and come back Wednesday. The nurse who attended me in the first instance provide more care and attention than the doctor. If I had known that a 3 hour wait would result in a less than 2 minute assessment by an uncaring doctor I would have gone home! Great initial start....downhill thereafter!

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 15 October 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 16 October 2018

We are disappointed to learn that what could have been a very good experience was spoiled by poor communication.

We have shared this constructive feedback with our Emergency Department colleagues to assist in learning from our patients' experiences in order to improve our standards.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A sincere thank you to all staff in A&E.

I would like to thank all the staff in your A&E department for the care and attention shown to me on Saturday 13/10/18. I was seen by a Consultant in A&E, the radiography department and several nursing staff when I was triaged and given an ECG. Their kindness at attention to detail was much appreciated. My sincere thanks and best wishes to all.

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 15 October 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 16 October 2018

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this on NHS Choices and giving us the opportunity to celebrate great care delivered by our Emergency Department and Radiology teams.

They will be very touched and will appreciate sharing with their staff.

Anonymous gave Neurosurgery at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful care from fantastic staff

Following a CT scan which diagnosed a slow bleed after a head trauma I was transported by ambulance from Furness Hospital to Preston on the evening of the 10th Oct0ber. I was admitted to Ward 2b and operated on the following day and am delighted and relieved to be able to report that the “defects” that had materialized (slow speech and leg dragging) have now recovered. I was discharged on the 15th.

I wanted to let staff and the general public know that the professionalism and dedication of every single member of your staff was superb throughout my stay, from the surgeons right through to the cleaners and caterers. Nothing was too much trouble and whilst obviously busy, they found time to reassure when necessary. The attitude of all the staff on the ward was absolutely fantastic.

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 23 October 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 30 October 2018

This is an absolute pleasure to read, we really do appreciate you taking a moment to post on NHS Choices and tell us about your journey of care in our hospital. Our Neurosurgery colleagues and domestic/catering teams will be delighted to know what a difference they made.

with best wishes,

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Catering for those with Lactose Intolerence

I visit RPH fairly regularly and am very unimpressed at the inability to get a hot drink because dairy free 'milk' is unavailable anywhere. There is a Costa franchise onsite, I can get hot drinks in any Costa outlet apart from the one on your site. For a place that caters to health and wellbeing it really is unacceptable.

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 25 October 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 30 October 2018

Thank you for your feedback, our Catering management were concerned to hear this: -

"I can only apologise that there was no lactose milk available when this individual visited the unit within the trust. We do usually have dairy free in stock and can only assume on the day of the visit that we had used all of the stock. We will do our utmost to ensure that we always have stocks of the lactose free milk available, and that is it available in all the retail outlets on request."

Could we ask that, in the event of any future difficulties, you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01772 522972 who will be able to liaise with our Catering colleagues at the time and hopefully resolve the issue.

With best wishes,

JE gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Communication appalling

Arrived at 4.20 with my 89 year old mother in law who had suffered a fall. I have listened to the endless chatter of the nurses social life but have had ridiculously little interaction with staff as to what was going on. With the exception of a Health care Assistant who was initially attentive we have been virtually left in limbo.
After 3 hours I approached the nurse in charge to be told there was a 4 to 5 hour wait for seeing a doctor.
I appreciate it is an A & E department but the lack of information is diabolical
Feel action will only be taken when you breach the 4 hours in about 10 mins

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 27 October 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 30 October 2018

Thank you for taking a moment to post this constructive feedback which we will share with our Emergency Department colleagues.

Anonymous gave Colorectal cancer services at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colon Resection

After a routine check identified a cancerous tumour in my colon I was scheduled for surgery on 8th October. Admitted on that day, went to theatre and woke up on Ward 12 after a 5 hour operation.

The care I received throughout my stay was fantastic on every front ..all the Ward team were great and there was real professionalism and empathy from everybody. My surgeon was around every day to see me and I always felt in the loop. Even hospital food is okay.

I was pushing to get out on 11th , things went so well, and the hospital duly obliged.

Never been in hospital before but I have to say the standards set here are exemplary.

Thanks

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 25 October 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 06 November 2018

Thank you so much for sharing this with us, the colo rectal team and staff on ward 12 will be delighted. It also offers reassurance to patients who may be waiting to come in for the same procedure.

Best wishes for your continued recovery,

Impressed

I attended A and E after suffering a cut to my head which was entirely my own fault - treatment,communication and professionalism of the staff could not be faulted.
If there are problems in the NHS then I was certainly not aware of them on Saturday night. Thanks are due to all the staff at the hospital as well as the ambulance crew who brought me in.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 10 September 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 13 September 2018

Ouch! We hope you are feeling better, and thank you for taking a moment to post your kind feedback which will be shared today with our wonderful ED team

James Leech gave Neonatal Care at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful Care

We had our baby on the maternity ward in the Sharoe Green Unit and were incredibly impressed by the level of care.

We have recently had a very poor experience with a Primary Care Service which has led to a formal complaint and our experience at Preston Hospital has restored my faith in the NHS.

All the staff were incredibly professional and the wards seem very well run. The staff appear to actually enjoy their jobs and have smiles on their faces which always helps.

From the lady who met us when we walked onto the ward to the support workers, the midwives, anaesthetist and surgeons, everyone seemed to really care about helping us and put us totally at ease even when going into theatre for the C Section for the biggest moment of our lives.

In this day and age, it’s easy to criticise and comment negatively from behind a keyboard, and there are too many people with a sense of self entitlement who see our understaffed and underresourced NHS as a punching bag. So credit where credit is due, bravo and well done Preston Hospital and the maternity wards.

James Leech

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 11 September 2018

Dear James

Thank you for this, it must be hectic in your household all settling down with a new baby, so we really do appreciate the thoughtfulness of taking time to share this feedback with us.

Just as we need complaints to let us know where we can make improvements, positive stories such as yours give us an opportunity to celebrate such a wonderful example of excellent care with compassion. It also reassures other patients who are thinking of using our hospital for their own care.

With best wishes

Norman Lochhead gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

If offered treatment by the ENT Department...........

My advice would be to take it!
I had Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. I had the very best of attention pre-surgery, during the operation also in three post surgery reviews.
The consultant and his Team were very pleasant and so nice to deal with,
I understand they made full use of the latest equipment during the operation. In effect the Surgeon operated using a CT scan of my sinus areas with the template embedded into surgical tools so nothing was left to chance. Please excuse my layman's understanding of this but most importantly, the operation was a complete success.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 11 September 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 13 September 2018

That's great news! It's lovely to hear feedback like this from our patients, and we're always glad to pass it on to staff as it really does make their day.

With best wishes