Royal Preston Hospital

01772 716565 Sharoe Green Lane North, Fulwood , Preston, Lancashire, PR2 9HT

Gloria Greenwood gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

no smoking signs

I accompanied my husband yesterday to ENT, no problems at all there, treated wonderfully. On our way back to the car we had to go past the main entrance where there are large No Smoking signs. There were groups of people smoking cigarettes and taking up most of the walkway in front of the signs. We had to squeeze through these people, and it was not a pleasant experience. This should not be happening at the main entrance to the hospital, it needs some sort of policing.

Visited in April 2019. Posted on 09 April 2019

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 12 April 2019

Thank you for reaching out to us via the NHS Choices website and providing your constructive feedback. It's good to know you feel you were treated wonderfully in ENT at Royal Preston and we shall certainly pass that on.

We're sorry to know that the experience was married by having to walk through smoke at the front entrance of a hospital. We do recognise this, and your suggestion of security staff/policing the area is certainly an option – but one that is fairly expensive to cover 24 hours per day. It is likely that this would temporarily shift rather than reduce the number of smokers on site.

Our resources are committed to training our staff to assess all patients for their smoking status to ensure that we have the greatest opportunity to manage their withdrawal successfully. In doing this, we can significantly reduce the number of patients who feel the need to go outside to smoke. This is a sustainable and evidence based approach to reducing smoking and one that is supported by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence.

We have also revised our prescribing guidance to ensure that we prescribe sufficient Nicotine Replacement Therapy – this is key to managing the withdrawal symptoms that leads to someone smoking whilst in hospital.

We recognise that this is unlikely to change the situation overnight, and for that we can only apologise and would like to reassure you that we are committed to improving this situation and the experience of all of our patients, relatives and visitors in the most effective and sustainable way.

Kim Greenwood gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Out patient for children's services

Today we arrived for a apppintment where my child was very upset and had been unwell for several days. continued to cry and scream through out the whole visit which was obviously upsetting for myself as well. The staff couldn't of been more supportive and offered help If needed and checking we had medicine, they even offered to take temp if I needed. Sadly We needed to have bloods taken and they were great at getting it done and knew I just wanted to get home and calm my child down. Thank you all for your help you made what could of been awful experience a lot better. Thank you for caring and your continued assistance in supporting and monitoring my child health.

Visited in April 2019. Posted on 16 April 2019

Royal Preston Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding treatment

I was attended to at home by 3 paramedics who were absolutely fantastic and treat myself and my husband with the up most respect and dignity. I unfortunately do not remember much of the event as i had a sudden what we think seizure with no prior history of epilepsy. The only factor was that i had had 1 gin and lemonade! either that was a magical gin or something wasn't right!! either way i had several more events once in the ambulance and my husband had everything explained to him and that i may have to have support with my breathing. This i found was exceptional that he was informed throughout everything that was going on. In A&E i had another event, when i came round i had a cannula inserted i was informed by my husband that the nurse even though i was unresponsive talked to me again this was i feel absolutely brilliant and shows compassionate care. Luckily my bloods etc. were fine and after a 6 hour stay in the hospital i was deemed stable enough to recover at home with a follow up appointment with a neurologist. I did thank the sister in charge on my way out of the hospital in the early hours but it was busy, so i would be very grateful if you could send the sincere thanks to all the team and let them know what a wonderful job they are all doing. 18th April 2019 @ 1730 was when i was brought in and i was discharged on the 19th April 2019 @ 0200

Visited in April 2019. Posted on 22 April 2019

Royal Preston Hospital has not yet replied.

Zoladronic acid 2 gave Ophthalmology at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 4 stars

First class.

Last week I was transferred from Southport Eye department to Preston at my own request.. I was met with pleasant good mornings from the nursing staff..I can not praise the staff highly enough..the consultant was super efficient, and was really approachable.. Preston Eye clinic should be extremely proud of themselves.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 03 April 2019

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 12 April 2019

Thank you so much for passing this on, we have just sent this through to the Matron for Ophthalmology services as well as the clinical director so that they can share with the nurses and doctors working in the Eye Clinic.

Best wishes

Absolutely applaud the huge improvements

Can I just say thank you for the improvements made to the treatment and understanding of patients admitted with Mental Health issues.

Not only did I get beds, when there weren't any higher priorities that required them. Which is perfectly understandable. I was sat down in view of staff and noticed they payed a lot of attention to how well I was, where I was etc.

The staff on the RATS I believe, some of the kindest, understanding staff I have ever seen, they even kept my medication safe even after being moved overnight on to another ward/unit. Who were equally as fantastic. Making sure I ate and drank before leaving and got my medication for me.

Everything was taken into consideration, including my sever eye infections. I was kept hydrated via a drip, and even though they dealt with a number of more serious accidents and emergencies, the wait time to be fair was the fastest so far. Add in their professionalism I for the first time in months felt safe and more than happy to wait. I completely understand that other cases will take priority. But feeling comfortable encouraged me to get medical and mental support.

The staff also for the first time handled talking about my issues, previous experiences, and the long term potential damage in a way that wasn't condescending but informative, to make sure I was well aware of the dangers and hopefully would seek support before something serious happens in the future.

Mental Health is a second by second challenge, but having dedicated staff who care for mental health patients exactly with the same compassion and understanding as other medical emergencies actually helped to open my eyes more to understanding that one: I'm not well, but there are ways and support to hopefully avoid it getting even worse.

I genuinely hope this is the last sever case, and that given my better understanding I can take steps to avoid it becoming as bad in the future. Running down my body and suffering infections due to mental health has been an eye opener, I will do my very best to get support in future.

Thank you so much to everyone there. This is a fine example of a great health care service and dedication.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 10 March 2019

Royal Preston Hospital has not yet replied.

A massive thank you for your hard work, care and dedication.

My daughter was admitted with an asthma attack. She was attended too immediately in Resuscitation last night. She was looked after well by all the team, from doctors, to nurses and radiographers. All very friendly, hard working and dedicated. Thank you so much.
There were some challenging patients in there last night and could hear through the curtains some of the abuse staff were dealing with. All staff should be commended on the way they were responding to varying problems. You all deserve medals and every respect for you.
Keep up your amazing work.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 21 March 2019

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 25 March 2019

This must have been so frightening for you all. It's lovely to know you felt you were in safe hands with our hard working teams in Emergency Department and Radiology. It's true that not all of our patients are polite and see respect as a two-way courtesy, which is a great shame. Our teams work under very challenging conditions but to receive thanks and appreciation such as yours really helps.

with best wishes

Outstanding Care

After phoning 111 it was recommended I attended accident and emergency to be seen as I was suffering from an asthma attack. From arrival I was seen promptly and treated quickly. The nurses doctors , students and cleaners in the resuscitation area were outstanding , kind and caring and made a visit that was unpleasant comfortable. I was always informed on all decisions made and had regular updates regarding my care plan. The team were so busy but still managed to provide timely and effective care to each individual. I cannot thank them enough for what they have done , they are all truly amazing at what they do.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 21 March 2019

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 25 March 2019

thank you that's lovely to hear - we will ensure it's passed on to our ED colleagues who will be very touched,

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gynae Day Unit

I attended the gynae day unit on 21st March as I was booked in for a procedure. It was an incredibly upsetting and distressing time for myself and my husband and if it wasn’t for the medical staff who looked after me on the day then I don’t think I would’ve been able to get through it.
The doctor was amazing and talked us through everything making sure we were comfortable with what was going to happen. The two nurses that were with me whilst the doctor performed the operation were absolutely brilliant. They were kind and caring and showed me and my husband compassion throughout. I couldn’t have asked for better. I just want to say a big thank you to the doctor and the two nurses for their excellent care and compassion.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 23 March 2019

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 25 March 2019

Thank you for sharing this with us; I imagine it must have been very difficult for you to re-live that time in order to share this with us. It is greatly appreciated and the gynae team will be very touched, thank you.

With best wishes

Anonymous gave Vascular surgery at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 3 stars

paid for extra 2 hours - clinic running late. no free 1/2 hr

I arrived approx. 3 o'clock for an appointment at 3.20pm on Wednesday 20th March 2019. The clinic was running late. I was finally seen 2 hours after my appointment time. I went to pay for the parking. The ticket I received did not specify my arrival time. I had to pay for 2 hours additional due to no fault of mine. I did not get the first half hour free, as the tariff chart suggests. If you have to charge on a sliding scale, EVERYONE should get the first half hour free, with additional charges starting 30 minutes after their first arrival. Not sure where the additional money is going. At Blackpool Victoria hospital they have a superb multi-storey car park, and very inviting main entrance. what have Preston got? Scruffy car parks and a very un-inviting entrance.
Come on Preston!

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 24 March 2019

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 27 March 2019

Thank you for your feedback. Our Car-Parking and Estates management respond: -

"The first 30 minutes is free for all patients and visitors using our car parks. The primary purpose of this facility is to encourage people to “drop off and pick up” and then leave rather than park for the duration of their appointments. This is because our parking space is extremely limited and patients and visitors who have no option but to attend by car commonly have problems finding a parking space. The first 30 minutes should not therefore be seen as a deduction from the overall time spent physically parked on-site. Where someone parks on site for 2 hours, the tariff paid is calculated on that time and not 90 minutes.

In terms of the delay you encountered with your appointment, this was beyond your control and NHS Car Parking Principals entitle patients to a refund in such cases. If you are willing to provide the details of the date of your appointment and the clinic you attended as well as your car parking receipt, a refund will be arranged"

John gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 8 - Fantastic

On Friday the 22nd March 2019 our Autistic son was seen at Ward 8 for his first ever operation. He is non-verbal and we have no means to make him understand what is happening or why we are there.
I was very worried about having to wait from 7:30AM for the operation and anyone who has had an operation knows you all turn up in the morning and you can sit there to evening by the time it's your turn in theatre or worse in case of emergencies. There is no way my son would wait. We were dreading it.

I called the waiting list department a few days before and explained our sons autism and they were to leave a note on the system for him to go in first if possible.

We arrived on the Friday 7:30AM, explained to the nursing staff our situation and they checked and he had already been written down as going in first as a priority. The surgeon herself confirmed this later as well.

The anaesthetist was also incredibly accommodating and decided to go for a anaesthetic via mask.

As near as can get to 9AM we went to theatre, we were both allowed to come down, our son was also allowed to bring a toy and even through he acted up a little and bounced a ball around the theatre the staff were nothing but happy, smiling and understanding.

We were allowed to wait near the recovery unit, soon as he woke up we were swooped in and I was allowed to lay on the bed with him to calm him down as he was very scared.

This is where the only hiccup with the experience happened which I personally did not notice as I was focusing on our son but when we were wheeled back up to the ward my partner had to snap at one of the nursing staff whom was talking to our son as if he was being naughty and misbehaving when he was thrashing on the bed. He was incredibly confused, disorientated and scared, not having any idea what was happening.

Once on the Ward again we were incredibly pleased to know that our case was once more individually treated different and rules bent to accommodate for us. At the start we were told we would need to stay for 4 hours of observation time at the ward but this was dropped and as soon as our son had a drink and was steady on his feet we were allowed to leave as just being in the ward was at this point causing a lot of distress to our son.

10-15 minutes after arriving back at the ward we had calmed him down enough to have a drink and a bite to eat and we were allowed to leave.

Both myself and my partner are INCREDIBLY impressed by all the staff involved from us arriving to leaving. We felt very welcome and nothing was a bother for anyone, everything was done to make our sons experience as comfortable and calming as possible.

I have nothing but praise to say about the staff.
A massive thank you to all the staff.

I would recommend everyone to consider Royal Preston Hospital's Children's Ward to everyone, including from outside Preston as we came from Blackpool and the difference is noticeable.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 25 March 2019

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 25 March 2019

Hello and thank you for taking the time to share this lovely feedback with us which will provide reassurance for any parents who may need to bring their child in to our Paediatric services. It is just a pity that there was the one disappointing experience involving the nurse in Theatre being sharp with your son - it reminds us that we all have to work as a team and if any part of that teamwork breaks down it really does affect the whole experience.

We hope that your son is feeling much better following this ordeal. We will be passing your kind comments on to our Paediatric team