Royal Preston Hospital

01772 716565 Sharoe Green Lane North, Fulwood , Preston, Lancashire, PR2 9HT

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Impressed

I attended A and E after suffering a cut to my head which was entirely my own fault - treatment,communication and professionalism of the staff could not be faulted.
If there are problems in the NHS then I was certainly not aware of them on Saturday night. Thanks are due to all the staff at the hospital as well as the ambulance crew who brought me in.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 10 September 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 13 September 2018

Ouch! We hope you are feeling better, and thank you for taking a moment to post your kind feedback which will be shared today with our wonderful ED team

James Leech gave Neonatal Care at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful Care

We had our baby on the maternity ward in the Sharoe Green Unit and were incredibly impressed by the level of care.

We have recently had a very poor experience with a Primary Care Service which has led to a formal complaint and our experience at Preston Hospital has restored my faith in the NHS.

All the staff were incredibly professional and the wards seem very well run. The staff appear to actually enjoy their jobs and have smiles on their faces which always helps.

From the lady who met us when we walked onto the ward to the support workers, the midwives, anaesthetist and surgeons, everyone seemed to really care about helping us and put us totally at ease even when going into theatre for the C Section for the biggest moment of our lives.

In this day and age, it’s easy to criticise and comment negatively from behind a keyboard, and there are too many people with a sense of self entitlement who see our understaffed and underresourced NHS as a punching bag. So credit where credit is due, bravo and well done Preston Hospital and the maternity wards.

James Leech

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 11 September 2018

Dear James

Thank you for this, it must be hectic in your household all settling down with a new baby, so we really do appreciate the thoughtfulness of taking time to share this feedback with us.

Just as we need complaints to let us know where we can make improvements, positive stories such as yours give us an opportunity to celebrate such a wonderful example of excellent care with compassion. It also reassures other patients who are thinking of using our hospital for their own care.

With best wishes

Norman Lochhead gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

If offered treatment by the ENT Department...........

My advice would be to take it!
I had Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. I had the very best of attention pre-surgery, during the operation also in three post surgery reviews.
The consultant and his Team were very pleasant and so nice to deal with,
I understand they made full use of the latest equipment during the operation. In effect the Surgeon operated using a CT scan of my sinus areas with the template embedded into surgical tools so nothing was left to chance. Please excuse my layman's understanding of this but most importantly, the operation was a complete success.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 11 September 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 13 September 2018

That's great news! It's lovely to hear feedback like this from our patients, and we're always glad to pass it on to staff as it really does make their day.

With best wishes

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 1 stars

eye appointment

After having tests in september last year, i was told they would operate, but needed me to come back again 6 weeks later for more tests to confirm everything the same, I came back did different tests, then expected appointment for operation, I was surprised when i then got appointment for more tests 3 months later on 25th Feb 2019, these then got cancelled by post a few days before and was advised I would receive another appointment, well it is now 5th September and still waiting, had doctors ring up to try and find out what was happening, but they couldn't get through, not happy.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 05 September 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 21 September 2018

Please consider contacting our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who will be able to liaise with the Ophthalmology team on your behalf.

PALS can be contacted Monday to Friday 9 - 4pm

Jomack gave Respiratory Medicine at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exclent Service and Attention

My recent appt at Preston Chest Clinic was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble, everything was explained. Staff were cheerful, helpful, and very caring.....
This is a first class dept.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 14 September 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 21 September 2018

This is lovely to read and will be greatly appreciated by our hardworking staff in Chest Clinic

Best wishes

jan gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Care

I brought my elderly mother to the department on the 15th September 2018 following a fall at home.
From entering the department the service we received was outstanding,
My mother was treated with the upmost respect and spoken to in a friendly and professional manner by all the staff.
The nursing staff and doctor were wonderful.
I hope that you all feel appreciated. THANK YOU

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 16 September 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 21 September 2018

Thank you so much, our Emergency Department staff work very hard 24/7 in often very challenging situations, doing their best to deliver safe effective care as they would want for their own friends and loved ones.

It means a lot to them when they receive feedback such as yours, so thank you for taking the trouble to let us know, and we hope your Mum is feeling much better

best wishes

Dave Bentley gave Neurosurgery at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Thank you to all the staff who treated me from the surgeon and theatre staff to the wonderful staff on ward 2B they made me feel comfortable, cared for and safe following my spinal surgery which I was really worried about. The staff however always seemed to be on the go and i don’t feel they had much time to look after themselves, the staff nurses were spread thin on the ground but always made time for you , the HCAS were brilliant supporting the clinical staff and the 2 student nurses on during my stay were amazing and went above and beyond for some of the more unwell elderly patients I also became unwell with infection following surgery that was quickly picked up and stamped out by the staff . I am very grateful for what you all have done and would highly recommend to anyone of my own family Fantastic team

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 19 September 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 21 September 2018

This is very uplifting and it means a great deal to us that you would take the time to share your experiences here on NHS Choices.

Just as complaints help us to identify what we could be doing better, compliments like this give us the opportunity to celebrate great practice.

The Neurosurgery team will be very touched, so thank you.

JON GOODIN gave Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Nobody answers the phone

Why does nobody answer the main line phone.

I phoned on Monday 3rd Septmber, 3 times, and let it ring for 20mins each time and nobody answered. Why?

I total understand you could be busy but that is alittle ridiculous

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 03 September 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 13 September 2018

This is so frustrating - please do contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01772 522972 (there is a voicemail facility for out of hours). PALS will be able to liaise with the department for you and also find out why there is a problem for patients getting through on that line.

Best wishes

Alan Martin gave Cardiology at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 2 stars

CLEANLINESS

I am a regular attender at your hospital with my wife and I am getting increasingly annoyed by the number of patients sitting in wheelchairs in their nigh attire with drips etc and smoking in a non smoking area. To walk through the smoke to enter the hospital through the main entrance is not a pleasant experience and certainly doesn't happen at other hospitals in the region Chorley for one. This is quite disgusting and although I am not saying patient shouldn't smoke to do this outside the main entrance is deplorable and I am not surprised infections are carried back into the hospital.
Furthermore to see doctors patients and possibly even surgeons in their scrubs in the shop and even in BOOTHS -- yes I have seen this does nothing for the strict control of infection.
Its about time Preston Hospital wakened up to this appalling situation.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 06 September 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 21 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We do recognise that is unpleasant and unacceptable to have to walk through smoke at the front entrance of a hospital.

Our resources are committed to training our staff to assess all patients for their smoking status to ensure that we have the greatest opportunity to manage their withdrawal successfully. In doing this, we can significantly reduce the number of patients who feel the need to go outside to smoke. This is a sustainable and evidence based approach to reducing smoking and one that is supported by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. We have also revised our prescribing guidance to ensure that we prescribe sufficient Nicotine Replacement Therapy – this is key to managing the withdrawal symptoms that leads to someone smoking whilst in hospital.

We understand that this is unlikely to change the situation overnight, and for that we can only apologise and would like to reassure you that we are committed to improving this situation and the experience of all of our patients, relatives and visitors in the most effective and sustainable way.

Anonymous gave Plastic surgery at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Horrendous waiting times

I was referred here by Westmorland General Hospital, whose doctor in PCAS went to the trouble of arranging an 11.30am appointment. I checked in at 11.00am, and after waiting for nearly 4 hours I enquired why no one had been to see/treat me. I was told this ward is a triage ward, so it serves on a first come first served basis, so if you are being referred from a hospital on the Scottish Borders for example, not only is there a 3 hour round trip, you could potentially be waiting for a further 8 hours before you receive treatment, of any kind.

I have never come across such a poorly organised service, that doesnt take into account its patients, with 1 doctor treating up to 50 people per day. I cant blame the staff, as none of them really did anything wrong, except give the referral doctor the impression they did appointments. So there it is folks, we have 1 plastic surgeon covering all areas from the Scottish Borders to Liverpool, 1 imo is a disgrace.

I am now forced to go to Newcastle Freeman Hospital, 'pretend' I have just had the accident at A&E and then be referred into their plastic surgery ward where I would be treated almost immediately. But this is the quickest method of gaining treatment for us poor souls living in the North West. Good luck to you all.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 11 August 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 21 August 2018

We are very concerned to read this and would ask you to consider contacting our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01772 522972 to discuss further.

In the meantime, our Plastics management team offer their apologies for your experience and have additionally commented: "We are currently experiencing unprecedented levels of trauma patients for plastic surgery and have been cancelling where appropriate planned surgery and adding additional lists, to accommodate trauma. I am sorry that the patient felt it necessary to seek treatment elsewhere."