Royal Preston Hospital

01772 716565 Sharoe Green Lane North, Fulwood , Preston, Lancashire, PR2 9HT

Sandra steele gave Plastic surgery at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Plastics five star

Five star treatment in the plastic surgery theatre al staff
Was informative and considerate and made me feel at ease thank you Sandra steele x

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 05 January 2019

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 07 January 2019

Dear Ms Steele

Thanks so much for taking a moment to let us know you would rate our Plastic Surgery theatre team as 5 star! We will pass this on and they will be very touched.

Michael gave General Surgery at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Coronary Angiogram

I attended for Angiogram on the 4/1/19, all the staff, nurses doctor etc, went above and beyond, nothing too much trouble, made to feel at ease at all times, incredible performance from you all, you are a credit to the NHS.

Thank you all so much.

Michael

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 07 January 2019

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 11 January 2019

Dear Michael, that's a pleasure to read thank you so much. It really must have made all the difference to you. The team will be delighted to know you took a moment to share this with us,

best wishes

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic treatment

I have recently had time in this area and i cant thank them enough at such a difficult time. All the staff were supportive, respecting my choices and dignity at all times.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 09 January 2019

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 11 January 2019

Thank you for taking a moment to share this with us; the Gynaecology team will greatly appreciate your kind words.

With best wishes

Angela D Pritchard gave Oncology - Clinical at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 3 stars

New car parking fees for cancer patients

After surgery at Chorley and radiotherapy at Rosemere, Preston I attended my last appointment to see my oncologist to be signed off on 9/01/2019. The wait was almost 2 hrs. Unbeknown to me the pre Christmas policy of free parking permit had been changed. I was advised by reception that I would have to pay full fee - no concession as I would not have any ongoing appointments. I said I would need to draw out money but was advised I could pay by card. I was charged £5.50 for the privilege of the long wait, five minutes with oncologist and signing off, which I and I am sure many recovering cancer patients can ill afford.It appears that minimum payments of £2.50 daily will be the future charge for ongoing cancer treatment, those who cannot afford this will be seeking patient transport to avoid fees, putting more pressure on this service.
At the new pay machine, people waiting to pay behind others were getting angry with payers not using the machine fast enough, as they were trying to avoid extra charges. I let someone go ahead of me for this reason. I then had another person behind who was literally pointing and rushing me through the payment process, fully able to see me putting my debit card code in - unpleasant and not secure.I am disabled but mobile and found the low height of the controls difficult as I have trouble bending and with vision which also added to the pressure I felt under - I assume the height was to cater for wheelchair users ( quite rightly ) but does make it difficult for other types of disability. Machine is located in very small entrance so the queue is in the way of others entering/leaving. I only found out after researching at home that payment can be made online before miidnight the same day - this would avoid the bullying which appears to be happening at the pay point. An unexpected, expensive and upsetting end to what had otherwise been excellent treatment.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 10 January 2019

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 11 January 2019

I'm sorry to hear you felt that difficulties with the new car-parking payment arrangements left you feeling under pressure and upset. The Trust is working closely with Parking Eye and hopes to have these problems addressed very soon which include extra payment machines and "how to" guides for patients and visitors positioned around the machines.

Anonymous gave Intensive Care at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

On Jan.1st.2019 2 Ambulances attended my house. The paramedics worked on me for over 3 hours in order to get me stable enough to be put in the Ambulance.
They almost flew down the Motorway from Gt.Eccleston to Preston..I was taken into Ressus.where the staff continued the work that the paramedics started...I had severe metabolic acidosis secondary to urosepsis which was further complicated by a 2AKI...my condition was diagnosed very quickly and I was told that I only had 2 hours to live.
I was grateful that no one sugarcoated my condition so that I was able to ask for a Priest who was with me in minutes.
I was taken to Intensive Care where the Drs and Nurses proceeded to save my life.
From Paramedics to Resuss, Fr. to the Intensive Care Staff and the staff on Ward 24 where I went for a few days before going home,not forgetting the Renal Team who did all they could to get my Kidney (I only have 1) function as good as possible.
Everyone played their part in saving my life...I don’t have the words to thank them but I am grateful from the bottom of my heart.
Anyone who does not believe in miracles...just read this x

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 17 January 2019

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 22 January 2019

Oh thank you - that really is so uplifting. We're going to send this on to the Emergency Department, Critical Care, ward 24 and Renal and can honestly assure you they will all be so very touched that you took the time to share this with us,

with best wishes

MaureenMasters gave Plastic surgery at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

staff help and kindness

I wish to thank all the staff in the plastic surgery department . I am terrified if hospitals but they put me et ease and made my proceeded very comfortable. Just thanking them again.. Also I wish. to say thankyou to the hospital staff on their efficiency on the appointment system .

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 19 January 2019

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 22 January 2019

So many patients are anxious about coming in to hospitals so you really are not alone in this, but it's lovely to be able to share this and hopefully it will help anyone reading it to feel a little less scared about coming in.

LP18 reviewed Royal Preston Hospital

My grandfather is declining but it is preventable

My grandfather is currently a patient in ward 20 which is an elderly medicine ward.
The atmosphere in this ward is incredibly upsetting. From the moment I walked in, I saw staff members providing personal care with doors wide open and talking to each other over the patients while providing them care. It seems to me that dignity appears not to be a priority.
My grandfather is a frail, elderly man who is deteriorating rapidly. He is lay in bed all day, every day other than to shower twice in over a week or go to the toilet. His mobility is declining rapidly and he is frightened that he is dying because he feels himself becoming weaker and less able. He says he wishes he could just get up and be helped to move around more.
Currently he is nil by mouth whilst they explore if he is aspirating food and fluids. This has been for over two days. He is starving and thirsty. He is already weak and very underweight. He has not been assessed by speech and language therapists in this time and won't be for at least another day since they don't work weekends. He has an IV for fluids but this is not acceptable. It is in fact incredibly cruel, when the option to thicken food or employ an ng tube is an option. Perhaps not ideal bur far preferable to starving an already frail and underweight person for 48 hours.
As you can imagine his mouth is very dry. He has been provided a pot of water and sponges to wet his mouth but it is always out of reach when we visit him. He is so incredibly grateful to be able to wet his lips but he is not wanting to bother staff. His mood is very very low and he cries frequently. He believes he is dying and he is weakening but staff are not reassuring, nor are they attempting to mobilise him to prevent "PJ Paralysis" and every day he loses mobility and independence. This is terrifying to him as it would be to anyone.
Often the phone on the ward is not answered or staff do not know the answer to questions when family phone. Communication is very poor and there is a strong sense that concerned family are a burden to deal with.
We are all frightened that he is declining, including him, but this is entirely preventable and nobody seems to see what is happening to him. It feels like a jumble of staff not connecting well and meanwhile he's just slipping away.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 01 December 2018 using Care Opinion

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 04 December 2018

We are extremely concerned to read this and would ask you to please consider contacting our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who will be able to liaise with the ward management on behalf of your grandfather and the family.

PALS can be contacted on 01772 522972 and are situated in the Main Entrance of Royal Preston Hospital. Their opening hours are 9 - 4pm Monday to Friday.

Caroline gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class

My daughter had a tooth removed today and from the moment we arrived the staff were lovely. My daughter was very nervous and everyone made her feel very comfortable and they explained everything that was to happen. They took the time to reassure her before every procedure and her nerves quickly settled.

The tooth was removed in minutes; so quickly my daughter thought they were still waiting for the anaesthetic to work!!!

Thank you so much from a very relieved mum

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 04 December 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 07 December 2018

What a relief for you both, we're glad to hear it all went well.

Your feedback has been passed on to our Oral Surgery Maxillo Facial team and they will be very touched,

with best wishes

Derek gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Cancer patient and carer treatment

My wife is suffering with an aggressive form on mouth cancer which requires major reconstructive surgery if she has any chance to survive. Post op requires an ICU bed otherwise surgery does not go ahead. On 2 occasions we have been given an admittance date and on both occasions, surgery has been cancelled due to the lack of an ICU bed. Due to holidays, Christmas and New year we are now being advised surgery is delayed until early January at best but is still dependant upon an ICU bed.
It seems we are between a rock and a hard place, the cancer is getting more and more painful to manage and there is a real danger of it spreading into her neck the longer it goes untreated, reducing the chance of a cure by 50%
Our mental well being is also being crushed by these cancellations, the latest of which was only minutes before surgery was due to start.
I cannot persuade my wife that as a result of these delays she has not been handed a death sentence, especially in the context that her aunt, mother and youngest sister have all died of cancer in the last 2 years.
We seem to be no nearer treatment now than we were when she was diagnosed some 8 weeks ago.
Together we face an appalling Christmas and New Year filled with pain and an inability to eat or drink properly and some 3 weeks to ponder on the next possible cancellation and its' consequences.

RPH, we were relying on you to give us hope, so far we have only despair and frustration!

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 12 December 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 28 December 2018

I am so sorry to read this, please contact PALS on 01772 522972 and the team will liaise with the Oral and Maxillo Facial Service who will liaise with the management team on your behalf

PALS are open Monday to Friday 9 - 4pm excluding Bank Holidays and there is an answering machine facility for out of hours.

Angela R gave Ophthalmology at Royal Preston Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing considerate treatment

This department treated me with the utmost respect, courtesy and urgency without making me worry.
Turned out I had a tear in my retina which was diagnosed quickly and lasered within a couple of hours to fix the issue.
The most amazing service by very professional people, to them maybe it was business as usual I'm sure, but to me it was a very worrying time dealt with quickly & efficiently with no fuss which kept me as relaxed as I could be in the circumstances.
I can't thank you enough, without sounding dramatic I know my sight has been kept safe thanks to your acrions.
You do a great job, so thankful for your team and our NHS. ❤

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 11 December 2018

Royal Preston Hospital replied on 28 December 2018

We're so glad you shared this with us, it will be very gratefully received by our dedicated colleagues in Ophthalmology here at Royal Preston Hospita