Countess Of Chester Hospital

01244 365000 The Countess Of Chester Health Park , Chester, Cheshire, CH2 1HJ

Natalie gave Gynaecology at Countess Of Chester Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Pathology

I feel compelled to submit a review which will also be sent to the Commissioners to contrast and compare between the Countess and the Care received from another neighbouring Trust as there is no comparison. I was advised due to complications of surgery that I would need to avoid having blood withdrawn from both of my arms. I was informed by another Trust (not Countess) they unable to facilitate the request made by both my GP and Clatterbridge despite the request being urgent as I required chemo. I challenged the decision and lack of policy and was advised NICE guidance supported the Trust within their decision making not to accommodate. Firstly "guidance" is what it is and there is clearly no evidence to support the decision making /conclusion. Clatterbridge have been very supportive and helped challenge the decision made by the other Trust concerned. My care was being improvised as a result based on the fact my disease is not visible. An elment of my care has been transferred to the Countess as a consequence. I was apprehensive when I required bloods although the Phlebotomist at COCH reassured me that my request was not unusual and was able to take the blood from my hand and not my arms. I had to explain in detail in order for you to appreciate from a patient perspective the difference between one Trust to another. Fortunately NHSE, Secondary Care Commisionners , Oncology Team (Clatterbridge) and my GP currently challenging the other Trust concerned as no alternative solution had been provided despite requiring bloods regularly. At least Countess designs services to accommodate patients. Much obliged and thankful to the Phlebotomist who met my request. The Countess should be considered with regards to redesigning future services as they should secure the contract and remove from the Trust who is unable to deliver. Thank you!

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 11 January 2019

Countess Of Chester Hospital replied on 21 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave these comments. They have been passed on to the department concerned.

Patient Experience Team

John Coull gave Accident and emergency services at Countess Of Chester Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thanks and Appreciation

I was admitted to the Countess A&E department 9/01/2019(17.00ish) with a pulse rate of over 200
The staff who attended to me (will know who I am writing about as I am terrible for remembering names) but the care and appreciation that I received from the doctor and nursing staff was fantastic - I cannot thank them all enough with the way they diagnosed and rectified my problem.
Such friendly people and a willingness to cater for all your needs

I can only offer my sincere thanks to everyone.

John Coull

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 10 January 2019

Countess Of Chester Hospital replied on 15 January 2019

Dear Mr Coull,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, we are delighted to hear that your experience was such a positive one. We will certainly ensure that your kind words are shared with the team in the emergency department.

If PALS can be of any further assistance, please do let us know.

The Patient Experience Team

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Countess Of Chester Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Waiting 8 hours in A and E

This review is only relating to my recent experience of A&E on 6/1/18.
All previous experiences as an outpatient and inpatient have generally been satisfactory.
Also I emphasise that I have tremendous admiration and respect for all the staff who dealt with my attendance at A&E. No criticism in this review applies to them.
At about 0030 I decided to phone 111 because of experiencing severe palpitations at home for about 2 hours. I was advised to go to A&E for an ECG.
I arrived at A&E at about 0130 and took a ticket.
I saw the triage nurse after watching for about an hour.
I was then sent to another waiting area and was told that it would be more than 4 hours to wait to see a doctor.
Unfortunately the wait turned out to be 8 hours and I eventually left the hospital at 0930.
The waiting room was cold. The radiator was either faulty or permanently turned off. I am 74 and have severe circulation problems in my legs and ended up trying to have a snooze with my coat wrapped around my legs, or walking up and down the corridor trying to get warm.
8 hours waiting through the night feeling tired, hungry, cold and uncomfortable is excessive.
I was told that A&E emergencies were very busy that night which explains the delay, however if the 4 hour waiting target is regularly being substantially exceeded, then obviously staffing levels and waiting facilities need to be improved.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 09 January 2019

J Leitch gave at Countess Of Chester Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A pleasant change

Day Centre surgery through orthopaedic dept: can't over-praise. Efficient, very well organised for a busy unit & above all genuinely caring. Everyone knew their role & how it interacted. Smooth & caring processing. Usual tests apply - come out alive, with the right bits attended to etc, skilful surgery, but it also passed my own personal test with flying colours - the canula left nothing but a small puncture wound; no lumps, no wall-to-wall bruising. First time that's happened to me in decades. Shows expertise at all levels.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 11 January 2019

Countess Of Chester Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Countess Of Chester Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Paediatric A&E Waiting Times Shocking

I took my son to the A&E at the Countess last night. Took a ticket like you get at the meat counter at Asda and waited for an hour and a half. One triage nurse, who took his name his injury, date of birth - we were then sent out to wait for the reception - who sat next to the triage nurse's curtained room, to call his name - we waited another half hour, listening intently, wondering if we'd missed it. The reception confirmed next of kin and Dr's surgery which I'd given to the triage nurse and then told us to go to the Kidszone.
We couldn't get the wheelchair in as the toys were against the wall near the door and there were children and parents sprawled over the floor. Neither were there enough seats (bottleneck) I stood for over 3 hours outside in the corridor. Parents were bringing their children out because they were too hot to stay in the room. Chairs were requested, nurse or consultant provided them randomly. Feet and children controlled as every now and then porters would be bringing ill patients through to x-ray on beds or wheelchairs. One family had been in the hot room from 6 pm and when we finally went to x-ray at 10-20 which was empty, the family were still waiting. They had been waiting before we arrived. The dad had requested how long they would be staying as his little one had school, he was told not long - no attempt to find out his name and follow up. There were 4 treatment rooms and only one being used at any one time.
A couple of police liaison arrived to talk to a boy of 16 who had been jumped on, had blood all over his face and had a suspected fractured cheekbone - I knew he had been jumped on as they interviewed him in the corridor. We eventually got to x-ray - who I must say were very professional. We then went back to kids zone and waited for the result, we were told in the corridor that there was no fracture and that to elevate it and apply hot and cold. I pushed my son out into the cold air and wheeled him all the way around the other side of the hospital to car park 1, as most of the parking down near A&E is either staff or disabled and there is very little short to long stay parking. I paid my £3 and on exit had a voicemail to tell me to go back as the registrar had found a hairline fracture. I took him back to the entrance of A&E dropped him off with crutches to be greeted by a security guard who told me I was in the ambulance bay. I took the car back to the car park. Walked down to A&E as he waited out in the cold, found him a wheelchair and wheeled him back to wait for someone to do his plastering. A 14-year-old boy having to wait outside the A&E on crutches whilst his mum went to park the car at 11pm! The process of your A&E is all wrong - you need to re-engineer your booking in process and review manpower planning. Book in at reception - get sent to kids zone and be triaged there. . There needs to be a separate paediatric A&E with x-ray and fracture facilities. it was shocking!!

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 12 December 2018

Countess Of Chester Hospital replied on 13 December 2018

I am very sorry to hear about the experiences you have had whilst attending A&E with your son. You will be pleased to learn that building work has commenced on a new waiting room and reception area. This will be completed in approximately 5 months. This will include a separate paediatric area and a significantly larger waiting room as a whole. The current location of kids zone is not ideal but it is a temporary measure until the re-development has been completed.
I hope this reassures you that we are working to improve the facilities for everyone who visits A&E. If you would like more information or would like to speak to someone in more depth about the other points you have raised, feel free to contact us at the Patient Experience Team.
01244 366066
cochpals@nhs.net

Vee gave Ophthalmology at Countess Of Chester Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent & Professional Treatment

I have this week had a cataract op at the countess, waiting times at clinics were kept to a minimum, the place clean, the staff great, the doctors lovely. Of the four places I have attended for the same condition that led to the surgery, this one is a winner hands down. The English have it made, not only was the op hassle-free, but it was also pain-free.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 18 December 2018

Countess Of Chester Hospital replied on 21 December 2018

Many thanks for taking the time to provide your kind comments, we are delighted that your experience was such a positive one.
Please be assured that your feedback will be passed through to the appropriate management teams and staff members.

Best wishes,
The Patient Experience Team.

Long wait prior to triage

I arrived in agony from stomach pain. Asked to take a ticket and wait my turn to be seen by the triage nurse - there was only 5 people ahead of me. After 1.5 hours of writhing around in pain on the A+E reception waiting room floor and 3 sick bowls later, I decided I had had enough. I still hadn’t been triaged. I had to ask a senior nurse to help because I didn’t seem to be making any progress in the waiting room - she then came along and gave me pain medication and something for my sickness. Beyond this point, I can only compliment the staff for the treatment I received. The wait before the triage nurse is unacceptable. I could have been sat there having had a heart attack and no-one would know for hours

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 17 December 2018

Countess Of Chester Hospital replied on 27 December 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, I am sorry that you have found your experience to be a poor one.
Please be assured that your comments will be passed through to the appropriate members of staff. If you wish to discuss your concerns further please do not hesitate to contact us on 01244 366066, or alternatively please send an email to cochpals@nhs.net.

The Patient Experience Team

Peter Roberts gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Countess Of Chester Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant Staff and Care

I attended the Jubilee Day Centre on 17/12/18 for Micro Laryngoscopy surgery. I would just like to thank everybody who attended to me for their kindness and care, from the moment I arrived to the moment I left. Thank you all very much.I hope these thanks get back to the staff who were on duty that morning.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 18 December 2018

Countess Of Chester Hospital replied on 27 December 2018

Dear Mr Roberts,

We are delighted that your experience was such a positive one.
Many thanks for taking the time to provide your kind comments, we will ensure that they are received by the appropriate staff members and management teams.

Best wishes,
The Patient Experience Team.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Countess Of Chester Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Countess the best ******

No matter which department I visit Countess never fails me. Thanks to the member of staff who seen me today in the O&G outpatients. It was a traumatic time and indeed very emotional. She needs to be commended for providing me quality time and acknowledging each of my questions raised. Nothing was too much trouble. Thank you for showing empathy in such at such an overwhelming time.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 01 January 2019

Countess Of Chester Hospital replied on 02 January 2019

Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to post them. I will of course send this to the department, but if you would like to contact the Patient Experience Team on 01244 366 066, or cochpals@nhs.net directly with your details, we would be able to find the specific staff member who you mention.
I will still pass on your thanks to the department as a whole, and I'm glad they were able to help you through what was obviously a difficult time.

John Clark gave at Countess Of Chester Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Urology

With an ongoing urology problem I was tested in every way but without conclusion, a decision was made to undertake surgery and the care and attention could not have been better. The operation was brought forward and all staff involved could not have done more to make the process easier.The consultants, nursing staff, anesthetists and surgery team seamlessly worked to provide the best of medical care. The tireless work of the ward teams is amazing.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 12 November 2018