The Horder Centre

01892 665577 The Horder Centre, St. Johns Road , Crowborough, East Sussex, TN6 1XP

Christine Baker gave Orthopaedics at The Horder Centre a rating of 5 stars

Experience at The Horder

I had a knee replacement operation and stayed in for 3 nights. The care and attention I was given by every single member of staff was amazing. They really couldn't do enough for me. There was no fuss, just wonderful care. My private room offered peace and privacy, very helpful to recovery. Amazed I was actually able to sleep well at night! Meals were very tasty and there was a good choice. I cannot recommend The Horder highly enough.

Visited in July 2019. Posted on 11 July 2019

The Horder Centre replied on 12 July 2019

Thank you for your kind words, your feedback is really important to us. We are extremely pleased to hear that you were happy with your treatment here at The Horder Centre and that you would recommend us. Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery

Jacqueline Low gave Orthopaedics at The Horder Centre a rating of 5 stars

Total Knee Replacement Surgery

I recently underwent full knee replacement surgery (13th May 2019) at The Horder and would like to record my thanks and appreciation to the very dedicated team of people who handled my three day stay so professionally. From the staff attending to the cleanliness of my room through to those attending me in the operating theatre, I wish to give full praise in the way they approach their varied tasks. Thank you.

Visited in May 2019. Posted on 12 June 2019

The Horder Centre replied on 24 June 2019

Thank you very much for leaving a review. We are pleased to hear that you were happy with the treatment and care provided to you here at The Horder Centre. We wish you all the best and a speedy recovery!

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at The Horder Centre a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care from start to finish

I had total Hip replacement surgery in April 2019, as an NHS patient. I had chosen to be referred to the Horder Centre because of its outstanding reputation and having had family members also treated there. From the initial appointment with the consultant, right through to the post-op check up, I could not have received better care. I was kept fully informed, with the opportunity to ask questions at every stage. The surgery itself went very smoothly and my initial recovery in the hospital was very comfortable. The amount of information I had been given about preparation exercises had been very useful and I felt I was in the best place for a successful recovery. The post surgery exercise programme was clear and manageable and ensured that once I got home, my recovery continued successfully. I experienced some discomfort and stiffness as expected, but the advice on pain relief ensured that I was pain free almost from Day 1. Every member of staff, from the porters and reception staff to the ward staff, physios and consultant was kind and caring and had time to listen and explain anything. Two months on, I have normal mobility, increasing flexibility, am walking up to two miles already and have no pain. I can't ask for more than that! Thank you so much to everyone involved in making my experience as positive as it has been.

Visited in April 2019. Posted on 19 June 2019

The Horder Centre replied on 24 June 2019

Thank you for your kind words! We have made it our goal to provide the best care for every patient every day. We are extremely pleased to hear that you were happy with the treatment and care received at The Horder Centre. Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery

Eastbourne resident gave Back services at The Horder Centre a rating of 3 stars

Back surgery

I chose to have my operation at The Horder centre Crowborough. First impressions of this hospital are a good one. The hospital is well presented and has a calm, clean and friendly atmosphere. The staff I came into contact with pre-op were all very attentive, professional and informing. This was also the case of the surgery staff. Unfortunately this all fell apart after the operation when I was returned to the ward and in the care of the many changing nurses. Despite being booked into the hospital by my consultant for two nights, I was told on more than one occasion and by various staff that I would only be there for one night. This was fine with me as long as I was well enough to leave. I had my operation at 5pm in the afternoon after waiting since 11am in the morning to go to surgery. Despite not arriving back on the ward until 7pm and having very low blood pressure and feeling very unwell, I was expected to leave at lunchtime the following day. I was informed that after this time that I was signed off and no longer in their care. My blood pressure was still terribly low, feeling very giddy and sick but the care literally ceased. I did not see a member of staff after this time apart from discharging paperwork. I was told that I would need to be monitored overnight at home as my blood pressure was so low and I suggested that perhaps I shouldn't leave. I was told again that I was only there for one night. I can only assume that this was because of funding. I feel that I was treated as a number and that this 'private' hospital is very much a business. I feel that if I were to have chosen an NHS hospital that I would have not been sent home and would have received better after care on the ward. The staff were all very busy, did not have the time to speak to you and I felt like an inconvenience while I was there. I noticed that call bells of other patients seemed to ring for a long time before being answered. I was given foot pumps after my operation to prevent DVT but the nurse forgot to plug them in and this was discovered 6 hours later. She told me that she had forgotten but signed the paperwork to say that they had been checked anyway! This was my first experience of a private hospital and I would not choose to go to a private hospital again. I will be sticking with the good old NHS in the future! On a positive note the food was great and the staff serving it were really lovely.

Visited in April 2019. Posted on 02 May 2019

The Horder Centre replied on 07 May 2019

We are very sorry to read that you were dissatisfied following back surgery at The Horder Centre.

We have a comprehensive complaints process for anyone who would like to raise a concern. For more information please download the ‘Listening to you’ leaflet available here https://www.horderhealthcare.co.uk/patients/complaints-procedure/, which explains our formal complaints process.

We aim to ensure all our patients have an excellent standard of service and would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you. If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact the Clinical Services Manager at The Horder Centre on 01892 665577.

Poppypoppy gave Pain Management at The Horder Centre a rating of 5 stars

fantastic procedure carried out at The Horder Centre

I attended this hospital for bilateral cervical facet joint injections by the very talented specialist of this centre. The specialist and his team including the anaesthetist are so very good at what they do and in my case trying to keep me free of pain.
Due to the specialists diligence in treating me on more than one occasion I am able to lead a better life, without the interruption of constant pain.
This is such a quality facility that is precision run from when you walk in to when you leave and I am still so grateful for their enduring attention to detail.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
What a special place the Horder centre is!

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 04 March 2019

The Horder Centre replied on 13 March 2019

Thank you for your kind words! We have made it our goal to provide the best care for every patient every day. We are extremely pleased to hear that you were happy with the treatment and care received at The Horder Centre on the multiple occasions you have visited us. Best wishes

Alan Hooper gave Orthopaedics at The Horder Centre a rating of 5 stars

A very good experience

I am very lucky because I live in the same town as The Horder Centre but I would want to continue using it even if I moved a long way away. They specialise in muscular, skeletal problems and because they don’t have an intensive care unit, they won’t be suitable for patients with complications but for everyone else, they are simply excellent.
Firstly they are an independent charity so not part of the NHS although I understand 90% plus of their work is for the NHS. I have had two knee replacement operations there, one privately funded and on the NHS and I was treated exactly the same both times.
I suppose because they don’t do everything but concentrate in a few areas, the whole process works very smoothly right from the initial appointment with the consultant, through to discharge after the operation.
In relation to my recent operation, on the date I saw the consultant , he arranged a couple of X-rays which were done down the corridor in about ten minutes and then I saw him and we decided how to proceed. He then placed me on the list. I was then in the process and a few tests and a blood sample was taken again without any significant waiting. I was in and out in under two hours.
About ten days later I received a letter with a date for the operation, it was about three months in the future. However, I decided I would like it done earlier if possible so I phoned and was placed on a waiting list for a cancellation. An hour and a half after my phone call, I received a call from them offering a date three weeks later; I quickly said yes please.
About ten days after that, I attended for some more tests and for a session, with other potential patients, by an occupational therapist who gave us lots of paperwork, including a very comprehensive booklet on what to expect and the paperwork exercises we should do from now on to prepare ourselves for the operation. This booklet is on the website and is very comprehensive. At this session a member of staff offered and made me a cup of coffee and this just demonstrates the very friendly and helpful attitude all staff there have towards their patients.
The operation took place n time and everything was faultless. Staff efficient without appearing rushed and just nice.
The same attitude was displayed by the nursing staff throughout my stays. They know their jobs inside out and quietly do them.
The meals are very edible with the presentation being attractive and the quantity, if anything, just a little too much at a time when you’re not feeling great.
Physiotherapy. Now we get onto the other main strength of The Horder Centre. It is simply very good, effective but intense. You have either a one to one or a group physiotherapy session two or even three times a day as and when you are ready to start which will certainly be on the day after the operation unless there is a medical reason for a delay. They work you hard but in a considerate way.
I strongly recommend the Horder Centre.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 16 March 2019

The Horder Centre replied on 18 March 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review and for your kind words, it really means a lot to us. We pride ourselves on the quality of care we offer to all of our patients and hearing that you have had a great stay at The Horder Centre makes our jobs worthwhile. Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery

Irene Balls gave Orthopaedics at The Horder Centre a rating of 5 stars

First class treatment and care at The Horder Centre

From my initial contact all the way to discharge, post up access to professionals, and follow up on my progress, I give the care experience at The Horder Centre the highest rating and compliments. From Reception, pre-assessment, to consultant surgeon and theatre team, post op nurses, physios, and catering; every person involved in my care gave their best in professional knowledge, training, and their very own breezy cheerfulness. To me it made such a difference to my sense of well being and morale. Treatment at The Horder reveals a highly efficient and streamlined methodical organisation strongly tied to a culture of friendliness and kindness which all together succeeds in a big way to lift the patient's spirits and promote recovery. I was impressed by the number of staff who told me how happy they were at work. Such widespread job satisfaction across the disciplines has clearly created the foundation and sustainability of the high quality of care and dignity so consistently provided to patients.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 04 April 2019

The Horder Centre replied on 08 April 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review and for your kind words, it really means a lot to us. We work by following our five key values which are; Caring, Friendly, Quality, Integrity and Pride and we believe in applying these to every patient we come into contact with. Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery

Anonymous gave The Horder Centre a rating of 5 stars

Toe Surgery

I had a fusion of my big toe due to osteoarthritis. The hospital had been recommend to me. The care and service give was exceptional, enventhough I was treated on the NHS under day surgery. Every member of staff I met gave me 100% of their time and care. Would not hesitate to recommend attending this hospital.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 20 February 2019

The Horder Centre replied on 04 March 2019

Thank you for the feedback. We are extremely pleased to know you were happy with the treatment and care received at The Horder Centre and that you would recommend us. We wish you all the best and a speedy recovery!

Geraldine gave Orthopaedics at The Horder Centre a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful care

Six months after a hip replacement operation I returned to the Horder for a knee replacement operation this week. Not only is the medical care first class, the entire staff, from the porters to the surgeons, are wonderfully kind. I was treated with care and courtesy throughout my stay, nothing was too much trouble for anyone, and I could not recommend the Horder more highly.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 23 February 2019

The Horder Centre replied on 04 March 2019

Thank you for sharing your kind feedback with us so shortly after your operation. We are pleased to hear that you were happy with the treatment and care provided to you here at The Horder Centre and that you have chosen to come see us again. Best wishes of a speedy recovery

Peter Shepherd gave Orthopaedics at The Horder Centre a rating of 5 stars

Total Knee Replacement

I returned home two weeks ago having undergone total knee replacement surgery. I should like to thank all the dedicated staff that make the Horder Centre a truly exceptional hospital experience. From my very first consultation through to discharge, I could not fault anything. This is a first class orthopaedic hospital/centre which should be congratulated on running an exceptional service to all.

I am grateful to the committed nursing team who showed real care and respect to all their patients; to the anaesthetists who explained the procedures so clearly and concisely and put me at ease; to the catering team who work tirelessly and patiently ensuring every patient gets exactly what has been ordered, always with a smile; to the fantastic physiotherapists who guided me through all the exercises and prepared me for a confident discharge.

Without doubt, I am indebted to my Consultant/Surgeon for his reassuring expertise, professionalism and outstanding skills.

FInally, I should also like to give special thanks to a fantastic Nurse who looked after me over my final two days. She was so caring and respectful, nothing was too much trouble, an excellent Nurse who ensured I was completely aware and confident before discharge. The Horder Centre is lucky to have her in their nursing team.

To anyone contemplating or worrying about a future knee replacement, I cannot recommend the centre highly enough.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 06 March 2019

The Horder Centre replied on 11 March 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review so soon after your operation. We are extremely pleased to hear that everything went well and you were happy with your treatment here at The Horder Centre. Your comments will be passed onto the departments who will be delighted to hear of your positive experience. We wish you all the best, and a speedy recovery from everyone at Horder Healthcare