Basildon University Hospital

01268 524900 Nethermayne , Basildon, Essex, SS16 5NL

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Basildon University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Left for 6 hrs

I was taken into Basildon hospital on Thursday evening with a nose bleeding like a tap for 31/2 hours . Ambulance staff were amazing but once they put me in a cubicle I never saw another person for 6hrs not even to see if I had stopped bleeding or needed a drink of water lucky I took my own water in with me and a bag of peas as they had no ice . Eventually a doctor came to see me at 1.30am treated me and sent me home . I had to tell him that the medic had said my blood pressure was high before he bothered to test my blood pressure which was very high .

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 08 October 2018

Gary gave Orthopaedics at Basildon University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Horndon Ward

I want to say a great big thank you.... to NHS Basildon Hospital for my care and treatment pre and post operation for knee surgery.

after being admitted on 3rd October 2018 i was treated with courtesy and respect from all the staff on Horndon Ward i was informed of all procedures and admitted for surgery on the same day, the ward was exceptionally clean and all the staff i met were professional and friendly. they allowed my wife to stay with me all day on the operation day. a nice touch for a nervous patient. but i need not have had any anxieties as these were all laid to rest by the nurses and surgeons in theatre. i had a spinal anaesthetic. and the op was a success. and the post op care was second to none. so once again Horndon ward and theatre staff.... Thank you so much for your caring attitude. i enjoyed meeting and chatting with a lot of the staff, and clem was a delight (charge nurse) keep up the good work guys and gals. you are a credit to the profession. we all need our morale boosting once in a while. and i hope this review amplifies that feel good factor, because you all deserve it. kindest regards Gary Goss

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 10 October 2018

Basildon University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Basildon University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great

Couldn't fault the staffing team whilst here with my baby boy.also had all my kids born here and again couldn't fault the efforts of the staff

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 13 October 2018

Basildon University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Basildon University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thank you!

Just want say a big thank you to the staff at Basildon Hospital and the great service the NHS provide. I have had to attend A&E with several family members on several occasions over the last few months and every time the staff have been professional, courteous and kept us informed as to what is happening.
I for one believe we don’t always appreciate the NHS and all the staff as much as we perhaps should!?

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 01 October 2018

Zoe gave Rheumatology at Basildon University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

The doctor

Disgraceful customer service from reception staff working on the Rheumatology help desk. Your staff were rude, offensive and unhelpful to my mum today when calling up. I wish to be contacted urgently.

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 15 October 2018

Anonymous gave Basildon University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

With regard to the review dated august 2018 I too have experienced just yesterday and today the same situation. it is impossible to get through to the fracture clinic to make an appointment. All day I spent calling over and over. Waiting and waiting. At one point, I logged that I waited 50 mins, in the end I gave up. Whilst waiting a message stated, your call is important to us the operator is busy we will put you through as soon as we can. Over and over I called and waited varying amounts.

After 2 days I decided to attend the hospital in person walking 20 mins there and back, so I did not have to encounter the car park! As i suspected and shy i walked the car park was full when I got there and as usual chaos at the roundabout Time 11.15 am

I waited 10 mins to speak to the receptionist , at the fracture clinic desk and at no time whilst waiting did the phone on her desk ring or in the back office, they must have it on silent!

When I asked for an appointment in early December I was told that one could not be made as she did not have the staff rostas and that I should ring in a couple of weeks to get one! I explained the above to the receptionist as to how I had been trying to get through she just said, sorry but I am on my own and shrugged her shoulders.

Another suggestion was that i wait until my appointment that I have for a scan in early november has taken place and then on that day make an appointment for 4 wks after but by then they will all have gone so I will be looking to probably January even February to find out the result unless of course I choose to go in person to the hospital again in 2 weeks hoping they have the rosta for december! WHo knows I can't ring to find out either way they don't answer the phone!

Talk about frustrating and a ridiculous situation. Please could it be sorted out

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 09 October 2018

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Basildon University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Badly organised

Really badly organised,I have been in twice over the last couple months for operations and I'm a young "fit" person,yet I got moved ward to ward no one knowing what is had done or what I could do,what I needed. Having had a spinal and unable to feel my legs I had a nurse come up and try to get me up out of bed and I had to stop her and explain I still couldn't feel my legs! I'd had zero observations done. Later I literally just needed some crutches to go home,ended up waiting from 9am-5pm for them. They stress about a lack of beds and I just laid there with no interventions taking place and such a lack of organisation to get me home!

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 21 September 2018

Ignored everything we needed

My mum is undergoing chemo so when she had a fever we got an ambulance into A&E. A&E were as helpful as they could be though they have a no pillows policy which was a problem for my mum’s pressure sore.
We got transferred to a ward in the evening and we made sure they knew all of the details of my mum’s care plan, especially her pain medication.
The next morning I got a call asking about how to change her catheter. I told them to let her do it but if she couldn’t then just stick some lube up a catheter and poke it directly in her belly. A few hours later I arrived and she still had no catheter in. I got one in and drained two litres.
Even worse, instead of giving her 20mg oxycodone every hour like I had told them, they were giving her 5mg of morphine every two hours (morphine is about half as strong as oxycodone). Writing this now at 4pm, they’re still refusing to give it to her more than every four hours.
Also, when I arrived her canula was leaking the IV paracetamol they had her on all over her bed and they refused to give her any more

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 20 September 2018

Basildon University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Basildon University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Maternity Ultrasound

Whilst I appreciate that the main reason for this scan is to check for any problems in the pregnancy, and it is important that measurements are carefully taken, it is however also a chance for the expectant parents to see their unborn child for the first time, therefore it would be a much more pleasant experience if the people carrying out the scan could be a little more friendly.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 24 September 2018

Basildon University Hospital has not yet replied.

Gill gave Accident and emergency services at Basildon University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Laindon ward was excellent

My husband was discharged from Laindon ward today after 6 days. I cannot praise this ward enough. Staff (except one who I will not allow to detract from this review) were friendly, helpful and a complete credit to the NHS. The doctor was easily available and happy to help everyone. Thank you all so much, be proud of yourselves!

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 03 September 2018