South Tyneside District Hospital

0191 404 1000 Harton Lane , South Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE34 0PL

Pam gave General Surgery at South Tyneside District Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant doctors and staff

I am still in this hospital now and can honestly say the treatment and services I have had is excellent. The staff work so hard and are professional at all times .. The food is excellent with plenty choice and I 've never been left to look after myself at anytime . The hospital ward is spotless and the cleaning team are happy and a pleaseure to talk too. I think they have made a lot of changes with fantastic results and it's reflected in the patients comments . Overall a great result and well done south tyneside .

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 20 October 2018

South Tyneside District Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at South Tyneside District Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Called 111 told to go to Accident and Emergency

I was advised by 111 to go to A&E and tell them I needed to be seen at the urgent care hub because they advise I should be seen within 12 hours from what I was describing. I went to A&E and was seen fairly quickly by a nurse practitioner, but they were not very helpful and I left feeling very upset and like they had not listened to me and did not care. I have underlying health issues and I was not asked if I had any before my blood pressure and temperature was taken. I'd explained what the problem was and was not even examined, I was just told that they would not refer me anywhere, that they didn't have the department that I needed to be seen in, to go back to my own GP and keep going back and telling them about the problem I've been having. I don't understand why they couldn't have passed me on or called somewhere that could help me because I am desperate. This has been a problem for getting on for about 2 years now, and when I told the nurse that they asked f I'd considered changing GP and repeated that A&E was not the correct place for me to come to even though 111 had advised me to go there. I would not recommend South Tyneside Hospital to anyone if they need care and need helped. They just don't seem to care and had zero sympathy or empathy and it felt like they just wanted me to get out of the room. I cried and cried and was in so much distress and left feeling like no-one is going to help me with this nightmare.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 03 September 2018

South Tyneside District Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at South Tyneside District Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Disappointing visit to A & E - 19:10 - 2nd Sept 2018

My name is Peter G, and I write this in reference to the visit with my 91 year old Father, Mr. John G following a head injury at home on the evening of 2nd Sept 2018. We were initially called by the Nurse for his assessment, where she put a clean dressing on the head wound whilst we waited for the Doctor.
When eventually called by the doctor whose name I didn't quite catch, we were taken into a cubicle, where the doctor asked all the relevant questions in relation to a fall/ head injury, checked his ears for any bleeding, and then said we could leave.
It was at this point I asked the doctor should he not check the wound before discharging as I thought it required a stitch or glueing. He then proceeded to remove the temporary dressing and realised the wound was open and required glueing.
My concern is that my father was on the point of discharge with an open wound and only because I spoke up did he eventually get the correct attention.
If a person has to wait two and half hours to be seen surely they deserve more attention and a full check of their injuries by the doctor before discharge.
If this occurred in the Construction Industry and was reported, we carry out a " Tool Box Talk " to ensure no re-occurrence agian and to remind people of their responsibilities.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 03 September 2018

Tom suggitt gave South Tyneside District Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 6 Harton Lane hospital

What a time, I was very worried when I first arrived but was put at ease straight away.
You hear so much about hospital food, cleanliness, staff, etc but I was well impressed with everything the food was very good.
The staff could not be more helpful.
The cleaner was very dedicated to her job and was proud of her ward 6.
Just a big thank you
Regards
Tom

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 16 August 2018

South Tyneside District Hospital has not yet replied.

Alanhigh gave Accident and emergency services at South Tyneside District Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Infection or Attack

Had to attend A&E for best part of a day. Symptoms of a heart attack but eventually diagnosed as chest infection. This after a battery of tests and examination by various clinicians. Felt very confident I was in capable hands - from the cadet to a consultant.
Excellent care and attention to detail. The NHS at its best!
Please remember to introduce yourself though - it does reassure the patient and creates a bond.
Interaction between doctors and nurses was admirable.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 08 June 2018

South Tyneside District Hospital has not yet replied.

Sharon gave Children's & Adolescent Services at South Tyneside District Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I attended the emergency care with my son this evening

I attended the emergency care with my 5 year old son who was displaying symptoms of a rash: spots on his legs associated with signs of meningitis septsemia . I was seen and left hospital within 1 hour by wonderful kind staff thank you so much x I have been thankfully on rare occasions with my children and can honestly say the say the service is amazing and such kind staff thank you so much my sons initials are jp who attended this eve and all staff involved were truly kind x

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 21 June 2018

South Tyneside District Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at South Tyneside District Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent accident and emergency response

Today my wife had a very nasty accident falling against a door and splitting her head very badly. I rushed her down to the a and e department. We were both a bit shaken and anxious but the response of all the staff was exemplary. The clerk on reception rang through so within half an hour of the accident my wife was receiving treatment from a wonderfully caring nurse and an expert doctor. A great many stitches were necessary but doctor and nurse throughout were professional, re-assuring and informative about the procedure. My wife was patched up and ready for us to return home before lunchtime.
We do so want to express our thanks to all. It was about 9.30 am this morning in the a&e at South Tyneside hospital.
God bless you all for the work you do.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 25 June 2018

Child A and E

My daughter dislocated her thumb. At South Shields Hospital they took X-rays however not in the area of pain my daughter was feeling. After we returned from X-rays my daughter and I were rushed out of the hospital with no advice or even her thumb strapped or bandaged up.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 26 June 2018

South Tyneside District Hospital has not yet replied.

Disgraceful treatment of elderly patient

My 83 father, 2 hours after being discharged from the RVI, chose (unwisely) to attend South Tyneside's A&E department due to complications from the removal of a catheter. After arriving at 8.00pm a catheter was inserted by 9.00pm. However, he was left on a trolley with no pillow or sheets whilst my 85 year old mother had to sit in a chair until 5.30am the next morning when a doctor discharged him. 9 1/2 hours overnight my parents had to wait. This is absolutely disgusting. Patients should be admitted, transferred or discharged within four hours. If there had been a major incident, which there wasn't, they should have been transported to another hospital. I would also hope that elderly patients should be treated with more respect and consideration. So, why 8 1/2 hours to see a doctor? My parents are proud and private people and chose not to make a fuss and unfortunately I was away and unaware of their predicament to be present. I will be making a formal complaint on behalf of them but wonder if the hospital exploited the fact they were elderly and alone to place them at the 'bottom of the list'!? We and indeed the NHS have to do more to protect the most vunerable. My advice, ' don't attend South Tyneside A&E'!

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 01 July 2018

Attended A&E with my 3 year old son

Attended A&E with my 3 year old who had jammed his finger in a door and turned poisoned after a week. Waited 2 hours in a tiny crowded childrens room, which had blood on the floor from a child whose head was bleeding, and dirty tissues on the seats. Asll of the children were crying. It was chaos. it became apparent there was only one young female trainee doctor on duty and she was flapping and did not seem confident. There were two older nurses in there who were doing the bandaging, and seemed to be msaking fun of the doctor. When it was my sons turn to see the doctor she pressed on his poisoned finger with her finger and tried to squeeze the poison out. At no point did she wash her hands or gel them, or put gloves on. I did not mention it out of respect for her, but was appalled. She could not manage to release the poison and he was too distressed, so she told the nurse to bandage it up, and gave him antibiotics. I won't be going back here. iwould have been better going to my gp, or ordering antibiotics online. No faith in this hospital at all.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 14 July 2018