South Tyneside District Hospital

0191 404 1000 Harton Lane , South Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE34 0PL

Alanhigh gave Accident and emergency services at South Tyneside District Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Infection or Attack

Had to attend A&E for best part of a day. Symptoms of a heart attack but eventually diagnosed as chest infection. This after a battery of tests and examination by various clinicians. Felt very confident I was in capable hands - from the cadet to a consultant.
Excellent care and attention to detail. The NHS at its best!
Please remember to introduce yourself though - it does reassure the patient and creates a bond.
Interaction between doctors and nurses was admirable.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 08 June 2018

South Tyneside District Hospital has not yet replied.

Sharon gave Children's & Adolescent Services at South Tyneside District Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I attended the emergency care with my son this evening

I attended the emergency care with my 5 year old son who was displaying symptoms of a rash: spots on his legs associated with signs of meningitis septsemia . I was seen and left hospital within 1 hour by wonderful kind staff thank you so much x I have been thankfully on rare occasions with my children and can honestly say the say the service is amazing and such kind staff thank you so much my sons initials are jp who attended this eve and all staff involved were truly kind x

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 21 June 2018

South Tyneside District Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at South Tyneside District Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent accident and emergency response

Today my wife had a very nasty accident falling against a door and splitting her head very badly. I rushed her down to the a and e department. We were both a bit shaken and anxious but the response of all the staff was exemplary. The clerk on reception rang through so within half an hour of the accident my wife was receiving treatment from a wonderfully caring nurse and an expert doctor. A great many stitches were necessary but doctor and nurse throughout were professional, re-assuring and informative about the procedure. My wife was patched up and ready for us to return home before lunchtime.
We do so want to express our thanks to all. It was about 9.30 am this morning in the a&e at South Tyneside hospital.
God bless you all for the work you do.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 25 June 2018

South Tyneside District Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at South Tyneside District Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Child A and E

My daughter dislocated her thumb. At South Shields Hospital they took X-rays however not in the area of pain my daughter was feeling. After we returned from X-rays my daughter and I were rushed out of the hospital with no advice or even her thumb strapped or bandaged up.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 26 June 2018

South Tyneside District Hospital has not yet replied.

Disgraceful treatment of elderly patient

My 83 father, 2 hours after being discharged from the RVI, chose (unwisely) to attend South Tyneside's A&E department due to complications from the removal of a catheter. After arriving at 8.00pm a catheter was inserted by 9.00pm. However, he was left on a trolley with no pillow or sheets whilst my 85 year old mother had to sit in a chair until 5.30am the next morning when a doctor discharged him. 9 1/2 hours overnight my parents had to wait. This is absolutely disgusting. Patients should be admitted, transferred or discharged within four hours. If there had been a major incident, which there wasn't, they should have been transported to another hospital. I would also hope that elderly patients should be treated with more respect and consideration. So, why 8 1/2 hours to see a doctor? My parents are proud and private people and chose not to make a fuss and unfortunately I was away and unaware of their predicament to be present. I will be making a formal complaint on behalf of them but wonder if the hospital exploited the fact they were elderly and alone to place them at the 'bottom of the list'!? We and indeed the NHS have to do more to protect the most vunerable. My advice, ' don't attend South Tyneside A&E'!

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 01 July 2018

Attended A&E with my 3 year old son

Attended A&E with my 3 year old who had jammed his finger in a door and turned poisoned after a week. Waited 2 hours in a tiny crowded childrens room, which had blood on the floor from a child whose head was bleeding, and dirty tissues on the seats. Asll of the children were crying. It was chaos. it became apparent there was only one young female trainee doctor on duty and she was flapping and did not seem confident. There were two older nurses in there who were doing the bandaging, and seemed to be msaking fun of the doctor. When it was my sons turn to see the doctor she pressed on his poisoned finger with her finger and tried to squeeze the poison out. At no point did she wash her hands or gel them, or put gloves on. I did not mention it out of respect for her, but was appalled. She could not manage to release the poison and he was too distressed, so she told the nurse to bandage it up, and gave him antibiotics. I won't be going back here. iwould have been better going to my gp, or ordering antibiotics online. No faith in this hospital at all.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 14 July 2018

South Tyneside District Hospital has not yet replied.

ritchie gave General Surgery at South Tyneside District Hospital a rating of 5 stars

knee operation

iii recently had a partial knee replacement tha staff could not have been better,every one made me comfortable and glad to be allive thank you richard marshall

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 10 May 2018

South Tyneside District Hospital replied on 15 May 2018

Dear Mr Marshall,

Thank you for providing feedback following your recent knee replacement procedure. I am pleased to learn that you have had such a positive experience and you are happy with the care and treatment that you have received.

The Trust is grateful for your feedback, whether positive or negative, as it means we can gain an understanding of what is important to our patients. Your kind comments will be shared with the Business Manager of the team to share with the staff on your behalf.

E-mail: customer.services@stft.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Dementia Services at South Tyneside District Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Father Still in ward 2

My father is in ward 2 and has been there 3 weeks and has fell 15 times . He is very confused and not steady on his feet . He fell even though his room is next to the nurses station . He now has a massive bruise on his chest after a fall and no one knows how this has happened . Tonight he was left sitting in his own urine and towels were thrown in the floor around him because the nurses were busy seeing to someone else . It is a disgrace . I would not recommend this hospital to anyone a s we asked for dad to be put somewhere were he would safe . However this has not proved to be the place

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 01 June 2018

South Tyneside District Hospital has not yet replied.

Derek Heselton gave Accident and emergency services at South Tyneside District Hospital a rating of 5 stars

An essential hospital

Wednesday evening 4 March during dinner I experienced a throaty blockage , having a lot of pain and shortness of breath I was driven to A & E where when triage reception assessed me Iin less than five minutes I was immediately taken by a nurse to a treatment room where she tried to remove the obstruction , when it was seen it could not be moved I was visited by a doctor who sent me for an x-Ray , I was quickly attended to and the X-Ray assessed then admitted for overnight observation .
I was told in the morning if it had not cleared a camera would be used ,a very reassuring doctor and nurses visited me at hourly intervals , at midnight the blockage was cleared and I discharged myself at 06:00.
It would be disastrous for south Tyneside if this very efficient and caring local A&E had to be transferred to Sunderland as I think with my severe breathing problems due to the food blockage I may not have gone any further .
Sincere thanks to all at OUR A & E
Derek Heselton MBE

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 06 April 2018

South Tyneside District Hospital replied on 16 April 2018

Dear Mr Heselton,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent visit to South Tyneside District Hospital. I am pleased to learn that you have had such a positive experience and you are happy with the care and treatment you have received.

Unplanned visit

I arrived at A&E with chest pains and palpitations, I was quickly admitted into a side ward-where all the necessary tests were done. I was very pleased with the speed the results were received , luckily all the tests were okay, and I was allowed home feeling very relieved.

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 13 April 2018