Queen's Hospital

01708 435000 Rom Valley Way , Romford, Essex, RM7 0AG

matt k gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

No one cares!

Arrived into Queens majors for the second time in 2 weeks, sister has serve issues with diabetes, vomiting blood and serve stomach pain.
Arrived last night with sister passed out in pain not one doctor, nurse or paramedic was interested.
Taken from an ambulance bed and told to sit in a crowded corridor in a wheel chair, along with another 40+ sick people.
When I begged for someone to at least give my sister pain medication I was met with indifference, not one medical professional gave us assistance. Treated us like we were a massive inconvenience.
24 hours later and sister is STILL in A&E and not been seen by a doctor or even assessed. - Trying to ring through to gt some info on her condition - guess what NO ONE ANSWERS!
THIS IS THE NHS PEOPLE!!

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 02 November 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 06 November 2018

Thank you for your feedback, I am really sorry to hear the concerns that you have raised on behalf of your sister.The experience described is not one we would like our patients to have at anytime. I would like to encourage you to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison service (PALS) so that we can address the concerns you have raised with us personally. The PALS team can be contacted on 01708 435 454 or by email, bhrut.pals@nhs.net and they will do all they can to help you. Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Bev Thomas
Divisional Director of Nursing – ED, Acute Assessment Units, Fopal and Ambulatory Care

robert bisco gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Queen's Hospital a rating of 3 stars

appoinment failure, why, who is to blame, 2 occasions

I attended the queens for a follow up appointment following a procedure to my face, on arrival I presented my form to the correct dept,only to be told I am not on the system. even though the time and date was clearly stated, the reply from this was, The Form should not have been sent to you, clearly the system has failed, this is the second time it has happened to me, and I feel some thing needs to be sorted , no doubt you will brush this off as a bad experience, and does not happen very often, to happen twice in a short space of time is unforgivable, the cost involved getting to the queens has been a total waste of money, may I suggest you have a revue of your appointment procedures, and remedy the failing of the person concerned,, what more can I say nothing will change, I know that and so do you, but at least you cant say you did not know.
yours faithfully
R H Bisco.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 06 November 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 13 November 2018

Thank your for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, I am so sorry to hear the problems you have encountered with your appointment letters. I will liaise with our Outpatients Manager to try and prevent this from happening again. If however, you would like to discuss this further the I would like to encourage you to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison service (PALS) and they will do all they can to try and help you. The PALS Team can be contacted on 01708 435 454 or by email bhrut.pals@nhs.net.

Michele Elliott
Lead Nurse
Surgery Division

Easmin gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Worse accident and emergency hospital ever......Rude staff

Today 6th of November 2018 around 11.30 I went to the accident and emergency with my 2 year old son.. I was shocked to see how long the queue was just to seem by the reception ladies .. there was only 1 nurse to assess the patients, and the rest of the nurses was just wondering around.. there was 4 reception assistants who was chatting away with each other, not even care in the world to check if the adults and children are ok .. there was gonna children were screaming the place down .. when I asked a reception assistant how long till I get seem ? Her reply was "do I look like doctor to you". Then after getting assessed by the nurse I had wait 5 hours with my 2 years oldlson in children emergency department just to be seen by another nurse ..., so will ever go to that hospital again my answer is NEVER....

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 06 November 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 13 November 2018

Thank you for your feedback, I am really sorry to hear the concerns that you have raised about the wait you encountered. Also, please accept my sincerest apologies for the way that you were spoken to by a member of the reception team, this is not acceptable. I would like to encourage you to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison service (PALS) so that we can address the concerns you have raised with us personally. The PALS team can be contacted on 01708 435 454 or by email, bhrut.pals@nhs.net and they will do all they can to help you. Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Bev Thomas
Divisional Director of Nursing – ED, Acute Assessment Units, ERU & Ambulatory Care

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ent Department

I was referred under the two week referral system due to various issues. I was seen quickly and had various tests. All of the staff were very kind and helpful. I was treated with respect at a very worrying time. I was given the all clear so a huge thank you.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 02 November 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 13 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. I am so pleased to hear that all the staff were kind to you and that you were seen very quickly. I will pass your feedback onto the team as I know this will mean a great deal to them. Once again, thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience.

Michele Elliott
Lead Nurse
Surgery

Anonymous gave Neurosurgery at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Communication very poor

In trying to sort out an MRI scan appointment I've just spent 70 minutes being shunted from extension to extension and serially being kept on hold, first waiting for the main switchboard to answer, then for every extension tried thereafter. Some staff have failed to answer their extensions properly (just "hello" is not appropriate) and another, who said I had the wrong department, was just plain rude. Sadly, communicating well with patients (and in some cases being courteous) is not a priority for this trust.
Neither is keeping clinics to time. My first "rapid access" clinic appointment was running 2 hours late and had no staff able to give an update on what was happening. Apparently the clinic allowed just 10 min per patient, which is insufficient time to adequately clerk a new patient with potentially complex problems.
Were this part of the Health Service to be a commercial enterprise it would be out of business in a matter of days. In other words it's not good enough, but unfortunately most NHS patients have no choice. Courtesy costs absolutely nothing. Staff training and a working telephone protocol for all departments would save everyone time and stress, and most likely save on missed appointments. I should maybe add that I'm a retired nurse, midwife and tutor so have years of experience of the "sharp end". I grieves me that a hospital can be so poorly managed; the CEO might like to try being a secret shopper and have his/her eyes opened.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 05 November 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 19 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, I am so sorry to hear the problems you have encountered trying to arrange your MRI Scan. I am also very sorry to hear that some staff have been unhelpful and rude, this is completely unacceptable, and I can only apologise to you. I would like to encourage you to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01708 435 454 or by email, bhrut.pals@nhs.net and they will do all they can to assist you in making an appointment to have your MRI scan carried out. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Caroline Moore
Divisional Nurse Specialist Medicine

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 3 stars

No privacy at check in

I visited the a&e yesterday on advice from 111 service. I believe the hospital does its best and staff are clearly stretched. I don't believe that you should moan about the wait as there is always people worse than you.
However I do think that the check in process is poor and confusing. First you have to stand at a point like a till check out, to wait to be seen intially by a nurse. sign posted by a laminated print. Incidentally the nurse isn't always visible due to being busy elsewhere to people don't know if they are doing the right thing. After being assessed you are given a credit card style coloured card which must have bearing on importance. I assume these are reused and thought to myself they are a potential harbour of germ passing unless they go through some kind of cleaning process but I found this pointless as you hand it to reception. At reception you give your personal details and ailments in full view and hearing of the waiting room. I could hear other people's details and the conversation within the reception area. I also watched most people appear confused with what the proceedure was and witnessed a couple of young mums clearly already worried for their child looking distressed as they were unclear regarding the intial nurse check. I don't know if this proceedure is temporary but the patients don't feel informed. I do appreciate the work of the staff and being advised.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 12 November 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 26 November 2018

Thank you for your feedback, I am really sorry to hear the concerns that you have raised regarding the triaging process upon arrival in our Emergency Department. I would like to encourage you to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison service (PALS) so that we can address the concerns you have raised with us personally. The PALS team can be contacted on 01708 435 454 or by email, bhrut.pals@nhs.net and they will do all they can to help you. Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Bev Thomas
Divisional Director of Nursing – ED, Acute Assessment Units, Fopal & Ambulatory Care

Vivienne Parker gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 2 stars

A and e triage nurse

Attended a and e on 12 th Nov at 20.30 after having tried to book gp appointment that day and told Friday was earliest one but if problem gets worse to go hospital out of hours which I did only to be told it was not for them to deal with . Came out my daughter rang 111 who were very helpful sent us back into Burton and arranged for a doctor to see me .Turns out my joint in my wrist is infected and needed treatment which I was given and told if it doesn't improve I would need to go back for further treatment as in patient not happy with nurse I seen in a and e as she could have sorted my problem out .

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 13 November 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 19 November 2018

Thank you for your feedback, I am really sorry to hear the concerns that you have raised regarding the GP Out of Hours Service. This service is not managed by Barking Havering and Redbridge NHS Trust and is managed by Partnership of East London Co-Operative (PELC). Therefore your feedback would need to be directed to them. They can be contacted on 0208 911 1130 or by email, Pelc.feedback@nhs.net.

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service

Sarah gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Still waiting.......

I was admitted to A&E majors lite on Monday 5th November at 7pm, sent by my gp for suspected appendicitis. After waiting 4.5 hours I was finally seen by a doctor and transferred to the surgical assessment unit for surgery. On arrival the surgeon was not satisfied my symptoms were appendix related so sent me for an ultrasound at 9.45am the following morning! I was given two paracetamol throughout the entire time.
I was then diagnosed with an ovarian cyst and sent home.
My pain has worsened and so under gp referral again I am back at queens, this time today 8th November I arrived at 1.30pm, sat in majors lite until 6pm before a doctor transferred me to the gynae A&E unit regarding my cyst again, without even examining me! I have been offered no pain relief even when telling the doctor my pain level is 8/9 out of 10!
I now have to sit here to be seen, and the waiting time is a further 4 hours!
It’s absolutely obserd the way I have been ignored. God forbid this is actually an appendicitis and it bursts!
I cannot understand why I was made to wait in majors lite all afternoon and now have to wait on cornflower unit, it’s a joke. Nobody has checked on me, I have had nothing to eat and I’m severe pain!
I was ignored on Tuesday when I said ovarian cysts are not this painful as I have had them before, my whole stomach is swollen, severe pain all over my abdomen and raised temperature. Gp thinks appendicitis or gallstones, but A&E doctors couldn’t care less!

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 08 November 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 26 November 2018

Thank you for your feedback, I am really sorry to hear the concerns that you have raised about the wait you encountered. I am also very sorry to hear that you feel you haven't been listened to when you have visited the hospital, this is not how we want our patients to feel. I would like to encourage you to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison service (PALS) so that we can address the concerns you have raised with us personally. The PALS team can be contacted on 01708 435 454 or by email, bhrut.pals@nhs.net and they will do all they can to help you. Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Interim Divisional Nurse – ED, Acute Assessment Units, ERU & Ambulatory Care

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

8 hours and I went home

Took my son there on Friday by 16:35 we we’re booked in . Waited 2 hours to see paediatrician. Told us my son needed to be seen by a specialist adolescent doctor as he said in school he want to commit suicide because they did not wanted him to put a badge on .22:30 after asking 3 times when someone was gone come the adolescent dokter came 30 minutes she was chatting to my son after that she said I have to call my collage to speak to him to see wat we gone do . So at that point my son was exhausted and we wanted to go home so I told the nurse in charge of someone is not coming after 30 minutes I was gone take my son home . 12am I said to the nurse when she is gone come . She did not know so I told her I’m gone take my son home . She said if u do that the police can come and get him . So I said I’m going home if anyone wanna come to my house they can do so . It’s ridiculous nearly 8 hours waiting with a 8 year old in a&e.getting him more upset by just sitting there and nothing to do . No gd service at all . It’s now Sunday and I still did not see any social services or police . This proves my point that kids say things they don’t mean. I’m gone make appointment with dokter and defenatly have a word in school tomorrow

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 18 November 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 26 November 2018

Thank you for your feedback, I am really sorry to hear the concerns that you have raised regarding the length of time you and your son waited in our Emergency Department to see a Mental Health Worker. Please accept my apologies for this. If you would like to discuss this further, then you can speak to our PALS Team, their contact telephone number is 01708 435 454 or they can be contacted by email pals@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk. Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Interim Divisional Nurse – ED, Acute Assessment Units, ERU & Ambulatory Care

Stephanie gave Dementia Services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Clementine A

Clementine A
Thank you so so much for the care you gave to our mum and the support that the staff showed to myself and my family at a very difficult time .
Our mum was very well looked after always looked comfortable and pain free ??We can not thank you enough ????
A Very Special Thanks to the Sister, Truly a Angel ?? X

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 18 November 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 26 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of yours and your mother's experience. I am so pleased to hear that the staff showed you and your family support and always looked after your mum. I will ensure your kind words are passed onto the team so that they know what a fantastic job they are all doing. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Caroline Moore