Queen's Hospital

01708 435000 Rom Valley Way , Romford, Essex, RM7 0AG

Andrea gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Poor patient care

I took my husband to A&E the early hours of 7th September 2018 with abdominal pains. Appendicitis was diagnosed and he had surgery on that day. Due to complications his GP on the 10th September sent him to A&E. Less than 48 hours my husband had to queue for nearly an hour at A&E and sent to Major lite for further queuing. No safe guarding for the fact that he in post surgery pain and discomfort. No timescale given. 3 hours plus since our arrival and we are awaiting an x-ray. He was told not to eat by 111 and GP so he has not eaten nor drank all day.
The current A&E patient jornney needs to be reviewed to restore patient dignity and care.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 10 September 2018

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Cancelled appointment - Ophthalmology Clinic

Having received notification by letter dated 29 Mar 2018 for appointment today 17 September and receiving telephone confirmation week commencement 10 September I arrived at the Clinic only to be informed that my appointment was cancelled as the Doctor was on holiday. A senior supervisor was called to address my concern but was unable to give me a satisfactory reply or to advise a new appointment date, and said I would receive it by letter.
Surely holidays are planned and booked in advanced such that notification could be given, and the person who telephoned me from the appointments office to confirm my attendance should have been made aware.
A waste of a morning and expense in travelling to Queens.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 17 September 2018

Maggie gave Oncology - Clinical at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Poor organization at Radiotherapy

Broken would be a good description of this service. In the waiting room, which is dowdy with poor lighting , large areas of paint missing from a skirting board and rather grubby arm chairs, there is a notice that says TV broken. It has been like this for a week ! On the notice board a scrawled message said 1hr delay due to broken machine.! Last week it was 2hrs

My friend's times have been altered with no reason given and appointments do not run to time. There are often long delays. Why?

Too many patients?

Not enough machines?

Machines too old or not serviced?

Too few radiographers?

Poor organisation and management?

Or all of the above.

Whatever it is it needs sorting out.

I feel so sorry for the hardworking and dedicated radiographers who have to work under these conditions. They are lovely and deserve less stress as do the cancer patients.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 18 September 2018

Queen's Hospital has not yet replied.

Ladybirdally gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Pleasantly surprised

It is almost 7 years to the day that I lost my daughter in this hopistal due to staff negligence, and I have just left tropical lagoon after a stay with my son, what a huge difference!! The staff are so much more aware of patients friendlier and more compassionate and the cleanliness is 100 percent better. It’s obviously had a huge turnaround since I last visited and vowed never to go back, am honestly so pleased

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 22 September 2018

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 4 stars

I visited the eye casualty dept on Tuesday 29th August with my son and we were seen within 2 hours. We were dealt with very well and told a follow up appointment would be sent in the post for 2 weeks time. We have tried ringing as 8 days have passed with no follow up, finally got through to be told my son hasn't visited since 2013 and was not on the system. I was given an extension to ring later, no one apparently could ring me back to sort it out. I have been trying all afternoon and no one is manning the phones. The attitude of the person I spoke to on the phone was not helpful, so now I have to spend tomorrow doing the same thing. I cannot fault the consultant we saw, he was so helpful but the aftercare is not up to a basic standard.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 05 September 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 24 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, I am really pleased that you were happy with the care provided to yoru son when you visited our Eye Casualty Service. I am however disapointed to hear the problems you have encountered getting another appointment. Please contact our PALS Team on 01708 435 454 or by email pals@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk and they will do all they can to try and help you ressolve this.

Divisional Nurse Surgery

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Visited emergency department

Visited emergency department because my GP didn't have appointment available and I needed antibiotics.

It took me over 4hours to see a GP. There was literally no way of knowing when my turn would be to be seen as I was not given a ticket, there's no overhead monitor to show you where in the queue you are.

Literally every time Dr was coming out calling for patients no body knew when they turn was. Some people including myself could even go to toilet worrying I might lose my chance to see the Dr.

Receptionist were pleasant enough to ask where in the queue I was but there's so many time I could ask them for update.

Seems like a single patient who went in before me took 45minutes to be seen and get checked up however when I went in it only took 5min.

I mean for a hospital who is established for many years this waiting time is really poor. Once I saw the doctor who gave me prescription for antibiotics at 03:00 am I was told all the pharmacies including the hospital one are closed and I needed to go to a pharmacy the next day. They could easily offer me pre-packed antibiotics for emergency patients but Dr refused to help me.

The plus side was I guess every one was trying their best but seems like there's fundamental issues needed to be addressed and get improved. Hope the management could somehow make life for patients and staff easier. Thank you for seeing me and in advance for looking into my review

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 30 August 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 17 September 2018

Thank you for your feedback, I am really sorry to hear the concerns that you have raised regarding the length of time you waited in our Emergency Department. Unfortuntaly, we are not able to determine how many patients are going to need to visit the Emergency Department on any one day, this is why sometimes the wait is longer than we would like. Patients are also prioritised based on their clinical need. I am however very sorry to hear that when you visited you had a long wait. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, then you can speak to our PALS Team, their contact telelphone number is 01708 435 454 or they can be contacted by email pals@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk. Once again thank you for taking the time to provideus with your feedback.

Bev Thomas
Interim Divisional Nurse – ED, Acute Assessment Units, ERU & Ambulatory Care

Anonymous gave Neurology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Smoking in a smoke free zone

During a recent visit I spent some time at a table just outside the main entrance. I was appalled at the large number of people smoking, including patients in wheelchairs. Security and medical staff were ignoring this. Smokefree zone? I dont think so!

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 05 September 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 18 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, we do ask patients and visitors to the hospital to refrain from smoking within our hospital grounds as we are a 'smoke free site' We do this by displaying signage and staff will sometimes approach people and ask them to stop smoking on site. Please accept our apologies, that on the day you visited there was a large number of people smoking on the hospital grounds.

The Patient, Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

Kevin Spencer gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Ent experience today

After 1 year of experiencing ear infection I was reviewed in early Feb by a very good audiology dept and a registrar. I was sent for MRI and CT scan within the next month and then given an appointment 6 months later for a review of the results.

Today I returned for a follow up and again had a good experience with audiology. But when I saw a doctor he didn’t introduce himself ( I assumed it was the consultant on my appointment) . He was rather abrupt with the nurse when he asked her to take a picture of my ear but didn’t make it clear he want to scope my ear. He eventually tried 3 times to scope my ear but couldn’t get the camera into the right position so he gave up. He then said I needed surgery on the inner ear but did not explain what this entailed just saiid just look up on the internet on the risks etc. Said facial paralicise was a side effect but gave no figures on risk etc. He said it’s your decision and you can decline at any time.

As someone who has worked in the NHS for 45 years I find this approach to patient care not very patient centered. I am fortunate in that I can easily find information about the procedures that are being offered but I am sure most patients could not do this. I think a review of procedures is needed.

Felt I wasn’t given information, I had to ask about results of previous MRI text etc and was uncomfortable as to how he treated nursing staff and his interaction with patients needs to be addressed. As I wasn’t given his name I don’t know who this needs to be addressed to but my appointment was with Dr Kumar who has to take responsibility for his team.

It is surprising when you go on to the internet when you look for details about my proposed procedure ( mastoidectomy) how many trust provide patient information leaflets - but clearly nor BHRUT.

This consultant and BHRUT need to up the game.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 03 August 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 13 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, I am sorry to hear the concerns that you have raised regarding the doctor you saw during your appointment. If you would like to discuss your concerns further then please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), they can be contacted on 01708 435 454 or by email pals@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk and they will do all they can to help you.

Lorraine Hodges gave Ophthalmology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I walk in eye clinic

I had phoned 111 who advised me to see a doctor. I was in terrible pain and could not open my eyes. I was staying on a camp site with my mum. No doctors would see me, only on a temporary form which I could not fill in because I could not see. They then would not see me for 4 day's after that. 111 informed me of Queens. I did have to wait. I got there at 2.30. I was seen within 30 mins by a nurse. I was offered pain relief and told they were very busy. I was also offered that if the pain got any worse I could speak to the sister. I was seen at 5pm by two doctors. I was prescribed antibiotics and pain killing drops. They also booked me into the clinic for a follow up appointment because the drops had to be administered every hour for 48 hours. I cannot thank them enough, and I did not mind that wait because they had informed me there would be one. The only problem was gaining the drops. No chemist had them so we had to ring several before we could get them. I have an appointment to return tomorrow. Thank You.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 07 August 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 13 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to make me aware of your experience, I hope you are now feeling better. I am really pleased to hear that the team looked after you and I will ensure your feedback is passed onto them so that they are aware what a difference they are making. Once again, thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience.

Divisional Nurse Surgery

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

A&E

Was advised to take my mum to A&E by GP to check whether she had had a heart episode.
We went by ambulance whose staff were exemplary. However we were waiting in the AAU for 6 hours in a chair before we saw a doctor. My mum is 83 and suffers with heart problems and is incintinent.

This is totally unacceptabl and the management of that department should hang their heads in Shane. Would they accept that treatment of their elderly relatives?

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 14 August 2018

Queen's Hospital replied on 03 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, I am so sorry to hear the concerns that you raised and the wait you and your mother encountered when you visited our Emergency Department. I am also very sorry to hear that a bed was not available when your mother visited, if you would like to discuss your concerns further then please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), they can be contacted on 01708 435 454 or by email, pals@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Bev Thomas