Queen's Hospital

01708 435000 Rom Valley Way , Romford, Essex, RM7 0AG

nuthatchbf76 reviewed Queen's Hospital

Blood tests

Appalling waiting times at Victoria Hospital, Romford. Notice put up at 11:25am on the day saying they are closed even though the opening times clearly state 12:30 as the normal closing time.
Clearly, the premises are too small with limited capacity to deal with the number of tests required. Moved on to Queens hospital and similar story - but only an hour and half waiting time for blood test. Again, insufficient capacity to deal with the huge numbers of people waiting for blood tests.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 01 March 2019 using Care Opinion

Queen's Hospital replied on 19 March 2019

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. I am so sorry to hear about the problems you encountered trying to get your blood taken. Unfortunately, we are unable to determine how many patients are going to need to access the walk in phlebotomy service on any one day. Therefore, sometimes when the service is very busy we do have to close it early so that we can ensure the blood is with the lab in time. We do run phlebotomy services were patients can book appointments, the details can be found on our website, www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk. Once again, please accept my sincere apologies and would like to thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience.

Clare Bailey
Professional Lead for AHP’s & Nursing for Cancer and Clinical Support

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 3 stars

lost in the system

I was admitted to the observation ward over night , and was due to be discharged this morning. My daughter tried to contact the ward to get the details for my discharge and was passed from pillar to post. Six transfers before she managed to talk to the medical staff on the ward.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 08 March 2019

Queen's Hospital replied on 19 March 2019

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. I am so sorry to about the problems your daughter had trying to get intouch with our observation ward to find out when you were going to be discharged. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, then I would encourage you to contact our Patient, Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) they will do all they can to help ressolve your concerns. The PALS Service can be contacted on 01708 435 454, or by email bhrut.pals@nhs.net. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Sylvia Patten gave Cardiology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Surprise ECG results

I was sent to the cardiology department by my GP due to breathlessness. I was given an ECG without much delay. I was immediately seen by a male nurse practitioner, who took over my treatment, having been told that my heart rate was very high. This Nurse practitioner, over the course of several visits helped sort out my irregular heart rate with medication. The care and kindness and professionalism given to me at every visit was exceptional. It was so nice to have the continuity of care, when one is feeling so nervous.
I have nothing but praise and thanks to all in that department.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 16 March 2019

Queen's Hospital replied on 19 March 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am so pleased to hear that the team showed you kindness and were professional. I will ensure your kind words are passed onto the team. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with yoru feedback.

Caroline Moore
Divisional Director Specialist Medicine

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 2 stars

A and E visit

The queue to get to triage was an hour long. You tell them the problem you then have to queue again to register for 30 mins. That’s when the 4 hours start. So the last 1 half hours don’t count towards the 4 hours waiting time. The they send you to majors light to repeat everything you told triage and booking. Then another wait to be called into the cubicles to again repeat everything. Then they do blood tests and you wait outside for 2 hours. Then called back in to actually see a doctor. Total 4 hours plus the 1 half not counted =5half hours

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 22 February 2019

Queen's Hospital replied on 04 March 2019

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. I am so sorry to hear about the delays you encountered. Unfortunately, we are unable to determine how many patients are going to need to access our Emergency Department on any one day. All patients are triaged in clinical priority, this therefore results in some patients waiting longer than we would like. Please accept my apologies. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, then I would encourage you to contact our Patient, Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) they will do all they can to help resolve your concerns. The PALS Service can be contacted on 01708 435 454, or by email bhrut.pals@nhs.net. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Tony S reviewed Queen's Hospital

Blood test clinic times

I turned up at Victoria Hospital just after 12pm on Friday 8 February 2019. My blood test form clearly stated the facility was open for tests from
8:30am – 12:30pm. However, upon arrival I was greeted with a notice stating that the facility was closed and not taking in any more tests. The staff do a wonderful job here but could you please either, change service times or change the time to 12:00pm in line with reality or change it to "last tests taken at 11:30."
Thank you.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 09 February 2019 using Care Opinion

Queen's Hospital replied on 18 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. I am so sorry to hear the concerns you have raised regarding the blood testing service at Victoria Hospital. Unfortunately, we are unable to determine how many patients are going to need to access the walk in phlebotomy service on any one day. Therefore, sometimes when the service is exceptionally busy, we do have to close the service early. This is to ensure that the blood is taken from those patients that are waiting in time for when the samples are collected and taken to the lab. We do run phlebotomy services were patients can book appointments, , the details can be found on our website, www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk. Once again, I am sorry to hear about the concerns you have raised and would like to thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience.

Clare Bailey
Professional Lead for AHP’s & Nursing for Cancer and Clinical Support

Len gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Telephone answering

My mother has been brought into Queens with a suspected Stroke. I have rung A & E twice and sat listening to the dialling tone for some 10 minutes each time. No one answers.
This hospital has built an awful reputation, and it would appear that it is doing it's best to keep it.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 12 February 2019

Queen's Hospital replied on 25 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. I am so sorry to hear the problems you encountered getting through by telephone to our Emergency Department. I would encourage you to contact our Patient, Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) so that we can gain further information from you and try to address the concerns that you have raised. The PALS Service can be contacted on 01708 435 454, or by email bhrut.pals@nhs.net. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Acute Medicine Division

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Daughter was not seen by a doctor for 7 hours

I brought my five year old daughter to Queens today as she had fallen on a table and split her lip and had some teeth missing. She was complaining of jaw pain and my main worry was whether she had broken her jaw. I was sent to the main a&e where we were then slowly shoved in a small and dirty room. During this whole time my daughter was screaming and loosing blood from her mouth, at no point was my daughter offered pain relief medication or a drink.

We waiting in this dirty room for 4 hours, I attended the a&e reception and requested many times when we would be seen and on all occasions we were told you would be the next one. All the children and new children walking in was seen before us, no staff members would help. We were only seen when I attended the a&e reception where I requested to speak to a manager and even then it was by a nurse who could not sufficiently understand my daughters problems and referred us straight to children’s a&e. CHILDRENS a&e!!!!!!!!!!!!! She recommended that my daughter was to be x-rayed and even called up the x-ray department that agreed. She told me I would need to book her into children’s a&e which was I was gobsmacked by.

I then had to re-book which took further time and then was greeted by an extremely rude rude nurse in triage. She explained that I was not to come to children’s a&e as this was a dental issue and I should of thought to go to the dentist. No sympathy, no understanding, no even treating me or my 5 year old daughter like we were human. She then said she doubted my daughter would be x-rayed and sent me back into the waiting area.

I had my other child with me and after several long hours waiting and seeing no doctor BOTH my children looked ill and exhausted. I asked reception when my daughter would get an x- ray and we were in a que for a clinician, which I had no idea why for. No communication at all.

I am shocked and disappointed and I will be contacting the media.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 17 February 2019

Queen's Hospital replied on 25 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. I am so sorry to hear the concerns you have raised. I would like to encourage you to contact our Patient, Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) they will do all they can to help resolve your concerns. The PALS Service can be contacted on 01708 435 454, or by email bhrut.pals@nhs.net. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Denesh gave Maternity services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great service

Very clean and well managed hospital with very friendly nurses and administrators. it is always a pleasure as the staff are so nice and helpful.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 12 February 2019

Queen's Hospital replied on 25 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, it is so lovely to hear that all the staff have been helpful and that they are always friendly. I will pass your kind words onto the team so that they are aware of them. Once again, thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience.

Sue Lovell
Interim Director of Midwifery

V gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Father Admitted

My Father was admitted and was sent straight to Resus. Unfortunately he passed away very quickly within a couple of days with Renal Failure and Heart Failure. I feel very sad that he was then placed in MRU and then Mandarin Ward A with other patients who clearly were dementia or mentally ill patients. It was very noisy and I do feel that for patients when you know they are sadly in their final days they should be placed in a quieter area or quieter ward or side room if available. This should apply to other patients also and I felt that with the staff that seemed extremely busy there was not enough one to one care either given. I was also misled on the phone by staff not actually knowing where my father was one day when he clearly was on the ward. Very disappointed and sad.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 14 February 2019

Queen's Hospital replied on 25 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. I would like to start by offering you my sincere condolences for the loss of your father, I know this must be a very difficult and sad time for you and your family. I like to encourage you to contact our Patient, Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) so that we can gain further information from you and try to address the concerns that you have raised. The PALS Service can be contacted on 01708 435 454, or by email bhrut.pals@nhs.net. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Tammy gave Neurology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Dr- no empathy whilst carrying out memory test 21/2

Due to recent realisation that my short term memory was in decline and because I have epilepsy I asked to be referred for memory test. I should add that although at the end i was asked to fill in a questionnaire I'd been in the hospital for a gruelling hour and a half and I didnt fill it in correctly as i just wanted to leave. The Dr I saw clearly didnt understand the word empathy. I'm only 37, and having this kind of test at my age is very hard to get head around. I cried at a few points and not once did she offer me a comforting support. It felt robotic. Worse still she didnt offer me any words of reassurance, next steps or ask me if I had any questions. As I said, cos I was in a state I didnt even think of saying much apart from "it's not dementia then" she didnt bother saying much else. I felt very much like an animal. She did explain the tests but in a very clinical way like I was just a tick box exercise for her. There were some positives; she told me how to keep challenging myself to help things, such as reading and trying to get that job. However when I explained to her that I've had anxiety and can she recommend any confidence classes she was quick to say she couldn't help and didnt even give me a number to call. I really think a robot would have had more empathy. I woke up in the middle of the night worrying senseless about my future, she even told me that I shouldn't look for a job where I need to multi task as I'd get muddled and I should only look for a job in something like customer service!! What a cheek!! She basically had very little positive to say. I'm left feeling really sad and useless, I didnt feel like that before I went in. It feels like shes chipped off the confidence I had regained through what has been a real anxious year for me.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 22 February 2019

Queen's Hospital replied on 25 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am so disappointed to hear the concerns that you have raised regarding the consultant you saw and I would like to start by apologising that you were not reassured particularly when you got upset. I would encourage you to contact our Patient, Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) so that we can address your concerns and try to resolve them. The PALS Service can be contacted on 01708 435 454, or by email bhrut.pals@nhs.net. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Caroline Moore