Southend Hospital

01702 435555 Prittlewell Chase , Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex, SS0 0RY

Anonymous gave Southend Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Terrible

Father brought in via ambulance to a and e after fall. No xrays carried out. Kept in on a ward where other patients appeared mentally ill although supposed to be an assessment unit. Ct scan was supposed to be done which never happened despite constant reminders for 24 hours. Moved to another ward where we were assured ct scan would be done as still unsure of diagnosis. 24 hours later still waiting and still not done. How can you treat a patient if you dont know what you are treating for goodness sake? Shameful and relatives shouldnt have to repeatedly ask fir sick bowls and sickness meds either and i mean an hour after first request.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 02 November 2017

Sharon Bannatyne gave Orthopaedics at Southend Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Happy patient

Hi there
Just came out from Southend Hospital after having a Hip Replacement I was in there 3Days and on Shopland Ward and from the time I was booked in till the time I left I could not fault the care and attention I received at all from the Drs Anethesist Nurses HCA they explained everything thoroughly until I was happy and the nurses and HCA on the ward that took care of me daily were excellent then the physios came round and they were great and gave you lots of encouragement to walk and get moving again now home I feel I was very lucky with the care I received

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 14 November 2017

Anonymous gave Stroke at Southend Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Benfleet Ward

My partner was admitted to Benfleet Ward after being transferred from The Royal London Hospital (an excellent hospital) with a fractured C2 (broken neck). She was admitted on a Friday afternoon and saw a doctor that evening. She then did not see another doctor until the following Wednesday despite us asking on a number occasions why she was not seen.
My partner was prescribed 2 powerful pain relief drugs which required that 2 senior nurses had to ok there release as they are controlled. On many occasions it took far to long the administer these drugs as 2 nurses were not available to authorise them. It is totally unacceptable that a patient in a good deal of pain has to wait an hour, and in one case two hours for pain relief.
Benfleet Ward is ment to be a stroke unit but during my partners time there it seemed it was being used by some general medical patients.
The main problem on this ward seems to be the lack of nursing staff. The ward should have at least 5 qualified nurses on duty at any one time but on one occasion there were only 2 and very often only 3. Hence when a nurse or nurses are on a break or attending to a patient important drugs cannot be administered.
I did complain to PALS and the Complaints Team and whilst they did respond promptly this only lead to a short term solution to the immediate problem not a long term one.
Whilst most of the staff on the ward seemed very good there was a significant number who seemed incapable of doing there job to an acceptable standard.
I do not want to just criticise the hospital as some departments, in particular the physios and the doctors my partner saw were very good. However the overwhelming feeling is this ward and possibly the hospital as a whole is not fit for purpose. I suspect that it needs a substantial injection of funds and most importantly more qualified staff.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 13 November 2017

Daughter gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Southend Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Tyrells health centre

My 95 year old mother sees her Consultant regularly for an ongoing ear problem. We cannot fault them but the clinic waiting times are appalling. They must be overbooked as we regularly wait more than an hour andrive often much longer. We go home after the cleaner has mopped the floor (not ideal for the elderly)and the receptionist has left. We have been unable to get appointments before 4pm and by 5 30 my mother is in severe. distress and is usually unwell when she returns home. Yesterday another patient gave up their appointment so mum could go in before then
The Consultant is brilliant. Appointments must be improved it is appalling to treat people this way.My mother was a soldier in WW2 and is used to putting up with things and not complaining but why should she have to.
Management please do something .

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 13 October 2017

Southend Hospital has not yet replied.

Kim Dinmore gave Accident and emergency services at Southend Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E absolutely amazing

Attended the department, triage, x ray and paster room amazing staff and treatment can't praise them high enough, Thank you for taking care of me. Kim Dunmore

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 13 October 2017

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Southend Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Lack of care

There are a few things that could make a stay in hospital less stressful for a patient.

1. Coordination and Continuity of care between specialists and consultants. Often opinions seem to change on a daily basis depending on who is in charge on that day. Major Diagnosis and decisions made without taking proper time to explain to the patient why or what the outcome might be.

2. Nursing staff really need to be a little more compassionate. I have experienced and witnessed some dreadful examples of basic care and understanding. a nurse asking you how you are this morning and walking away as you begin to answer is one example.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 18 October 2017

S Riggs reviewed Rheumatology at Southend Hospital

Dismissed and ignored is now the norm.

I've just visited this site and read two reviewers that have suffered exactly the same dismissive and treatment as myself. I've already been informed on my recent appointment that my next will be in a year and I will be seeing a nurse.
Disappointed is as a polite a word as I can find to describe my horror as for many years, longer than my primary disease, I was recently diagnosed with another problem which required my GP to shout very loudly to obtain an urgent appointment. Long term chronic damaging diseases often lead to other problems being dismissed by this department or simply ignored. As I am sure by what I have read in the two reviews I have mentioned we all have a long list of typical symptoms. Every problem we have is often ignored because it is simply 'on the list or similar''. Mine was found to be not typical and was not usual for my primary disease, Lupus/APS. It was found to have been older as well.
It's twelve years since the primary was diagnosed. The damage is now appearing and I was hoping for more support than a nurse.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 24 October 2017

Anonymous gave Geriatric Medicine at Southend Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Nobody listens, nobody cares

Having tried endlessly to book an x-ray, a number where nobody ever answers the phone, I asked health watch for advice. After many attempts the department rang me but I had proceeded to make a formal complaint.
Their response was that they rang me six time .... on the wrong number ... that staff took unplanned leave ... but this problem still exists today, no matter what time of day or day or the week you ring, nobody ever answers this phone.
The complaints department are very well aware of who I am, but tend to rely on the excuse book rather than a little honesty.
The NHS needs to remember that we are paying for these calls and with no clue as to how long you may hang on for, it is very costly.
There is an email address but nobody responds to that either.
The Southend CCG refuse to repsond to my emails so perhaps it is time we got folk at the helm that are honest and capable of dealing with problems rather than discriminate and hide behind closed doors.
No matter how many times we complain, nothing changes, a real need for special measures at this hospital and with within the unapproachable CCG at Southend

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 25 October 2017

Chantelle gave Ophthalmology at Southend Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My daughters squint surgery

I would like to say how pleased I am with the care my daughter received from all of the staff in the eye unit. We was so worried about our daughter having her eye operation due to her being so terrified of hospitals. From the moment we got there the whole team made us all feel at ease and made my daughter feel so much better. They really do a wonderful job and do not get enough credit! Thankyou all so much for looking after my daughter you really do all make a difference :)

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 25 September 2017

Southend Hospital replied on 26 September 2017

Thank you for your post, it is great to hear such positive comments.
Please be assured this has been shared with the staff within the eye unit.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Regards

Patient Experience Team

Andrew Richards gave Cardiology at Southend Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gordon Hopkins ward

I recently spent a week in southend hospital.
I would just like to say thank you for looking after me. I was very ill and believe you saved my life. All of the staff were kind and caring.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 08 October 2017

Southend Hospital replied on 09 October 2017

Dear Mr Richards,

Thank you for your post - it is great to hear so many positive comments regarding the medical staff and your experience on Gordon Hopkins ward.
Please be assured your comments will be sent to all those concerned.

Wishing you well for the future.

Regards