Peterborough City Hospital

01733 678000 Edith Cavell Campus, Bretton Gate, Bretton , Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE3 9GZ

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great care of patients and family members

We brought our son into A&E following a sports injury. He was promptly assessed booked in and seen in a very acceptable timescale. All the individual members of staff he saw were professional and focused. thank goodness for the NHS and its brilliant team. Thank you looking after us.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 01 October 2017

Deputy Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Lovely, friendly care

My child had to have a procedure in the Amazon Chidlren’s Ward today and the care we received was so caring. My child had been extremely worried about the procedure but the nurses and play team nurse were wonderful: totally putting my daughter at ease. Staff were considerate to her feelings and checked and double checked with her before they began. They spoke to her with respect and spoke clearly so she understood what was going to happen. The play team nurse held her hand to comfort her, making her feel more calm and after the procedure, they made sure my daughter was well enough to leave and didn’t make us feel rushed at all.
This experience was brilliant, particularly when my child was so very nervous.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 13 October 2017

Deputy Chief Nurse

Mrs Woollard gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Rudeness

I am really sorry we went to A and E this morning with my husband broken arm We were told we were in the wrong place and should have gone to the walk in centre as there were people in A and E with far worse injuries than that. I'm sorry but we didn't know that and we could have been told politely.
We went to the walk in and they were wonderful despite being rushed off their feet.
And yes, I've left them a lovely review

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 15 October 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 19 October 2017

I am so sorry to hear about your experience and I am obviously concerned about the comments you have posted. We want to ensure all of our patients receive good quality care and I am disappointed that this is not what has happened in your case.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail please do contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01733 673405. Once again my apologies that not all of your encounters have been positive.

Deputy Chief Nurse

Paline Iredale gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ambulance & ED OBSERVATIONS

Ambulance crew & ED staff excellent. Caring; kind and efficient. ED obviously understaffed as ratio of staff/patients not even comparable. This presumably due to lack of NHS funds. Felt very sorry for staff as they worked flat out and more. Long waits between seeing senior staff/consultants and being given pain relief etc.
Finally discharged after 11 hrs.
Unfortunately, even though a suspected diagnosis was made no ultra sound scan was offered which resulted in my husband suffering a flare up of his condition 2 days later and GP involved having to arrange ultra sound scan and confirming suspected diagnosis. Now having to wait for referral to hospital again. Is this not a waste of time and money and a threat to a patients healtj

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 28 September 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 19 October 2017

If you would like to discuss your concerns in more detail please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service who I know would be keen to hear about your experiences.

Anonymous gave Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Disappointed

Took in one of my parents to the ambulatory care unit for a review the receptionist there was absolutely appalling does not know how to deal with patients needs to learn customer service skills really rude.
Sat there for over a hour went back to to see what's going on and the receptionist apparently forgot to log us is totally useless.
The doctors and medical staff however are really good and helpful but the hospital really need to recconsider their reception staff

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 14 September 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 26 September 2017

• I am so sorry to hear about your experience and I am obviously concerned about the comments you have posted. We want to ensure all of our patients receive good quality care and I am disappointed that this is not what happened in your case.

If you would like to discuss your concerns in more detail please do not hesitate to contact me via email lesley.crosby@pbh-tr.nhs.uk so that we can arrange a convenient time to chat as I am keen we learn from your experiences. Once again my apologies that your stay was not as we would wish it to be.

Deputy Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Colonoscopy

I have had 4 previous colonascy precedures and this last one was carried out with the most severre pain I have yet to experience. I was pumped so full of air that it was very uncomfortable. Previously I have had larger removable polyps with far less discomfort.
The nursing staff were excellent and the the after care excellent. What more can I say.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 05 September 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 26 September 2017

If you would like to discuss your concerns in more detail please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service via email PALS@pbh-tr.nhs.uk so that they can arrange a convenient time to chat as I am keen we learn from your experiences. Once again my apologies that your visits were not as we would wish them to have been.

Deputy Chief Nurse

Brian McDonnell gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I visited A&E Department on the afternoon of Wednesday 20 September 2017, referred by my GP. I have to write and compliment all A&E staff for their kindness and diligence in dealing with me - and other patients. In particular I want to thank the Doctor whose easy and friendly manner set me fully at ease. Everything concerning my treatment was fully explained. The Doctor told me that my ECG traces and blood tests confirmed my complaint was far less worrying than I at first thought. The other member of staff I wish to mention is the Deputy Sister on duty that afternoon. Foolishly I never asked their name but duty rosters will identify this caring and calm nurse. With all the pressures A&E staff work under these two medical staff members were both friendly, calm, caring and highly professional at all times. The whole experience in A&E left me feeling deeply grateful. How fortunate we are to have such dedicated medical staff in the NHS working under such pressure with limited resources. Thank you A&E!!

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 26 September 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 19 October 2017

Thank you for posting such lovely comments and I will ensure they are shared with the staff. I hope that you are continuing to recover and I wish you well for the future

Deputy Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colorectal aurgery

My husband has recently been discharged from ward A4, having had surgery for early cancer. His care, while having MRI , CT, colonoscopy, surgery and ward stay has been exemplary. The Consultant in particular has gone the extra mile to explain things in detail to my husband. It is all very much appreciated by us and all our family. Thank you all.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 08 September 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 26 September 2017

Thank you for your lovely comments and I will ensure they are passed onto the relevant staff. I am pleased that your faith in the NHS has been restored given the importance of your care at this time

Mike Langhorn gave Urology at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 1 stars

My visit to the Urology Clinic

I was booked into the Urology Clinic for 9.00 am on Monday morning. I arrived at 08:40 - in good time for my "appointment". I saw a nurse at 9:20 who completed some observations ( blood pressure, temperature, sats, and took blood for blood tests). Then I waited, and I waited, and I waited. Other patients arrived and went through the same routine and then they waited too.
Eventually a nurse spoke to us to offer us coffee - telling us that the Doctor would be there soon. There were 5 of us that had been waiting for between 4 and 5 hours - for a Doctor who wasn't even there. I know that the NHS is stretched but this is an appallingly wasteful process.

If you are running a clinic for patients, then ensure that your doctor is there to see them. If for some reason the doctor isn't there ( and I know that this does happen) then explain this to your patients and give them some indication of when we might expect to see the doctor.

Train your receptionists (ward clerks?) to take ownership of questions like "when will I be seen by the doctor" so they don't simply fob off patients with comments like " well we have to wait for your results to come back, then we have to wait for the doctor to look at them". Be honest - even if it means telling your patients that the doctor is not here and we don't know when they will be back.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 11 September 2017

A and E 16.9.2017.

Good treatment at a busy time but so much noise !

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 18 September 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 26 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to respond following your visit to our hospital. It is always a pleasure for our staff to read comments such as yours and I will ensure they are passed on. Sadly due to the business of the department it can get noisy but we will remind staff to try and reduce the noise levels where possible