Royal Berkshire Hospital

0118 322 5111 London Road, Craven Road , Reading, Berkshire, RG1 5AN

Gemma gave Endoscopy at Royal Berkshire Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Staff that made a huge difference

I had an endoscopy today and having had one previously and it being pretty awful I was quite nervous. The staff in the unit were fantastic, really friendly and put me at ease straight away. The nurse that booked me in was fantastic, wish I could say her name, hopefully she will see this and know! The gentleman doctor held my hand and the other nurses and doctors in the room were very kind and reassuring. Hopefully I’ll not have to come back but if I do I’d certainly want this team! Thanks so much, Gemma (the girl who couldn’t decide between sedation or throat spray) :-)

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 11 February 2019

Royal Berkshire Hospital replied on 20 February 2019

The endoscopy staff are delighted to hear that you had a positive experience in what is deemed to be a daunting experience and we are very pleased to hear that the staff were extremely reassuring. Your kind review will be fed back to the entire team so it is greatly appreciated that you took the time to write a nice review. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Sharon gave Paediatrics at Royal Berkshire Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Kempton Day Ward

Thank you to all the wonderful staff on the Kempton Day Ward, from the pre op to arriving on the day of my daughters surgery we were made to feel very well cared for. Our staff nurse was very reassuring and efficient, she explained every procedure and was bright and cheerful throughout, which immedialty put us all at ease. The surgery team were fantastic too, we are extremely grateful for the care that we were given today.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 05 February 2019

Royal Berkshire Hospital replied on 13 February 2019

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your daughter's experience on Kempton Day Ward. We are pleased to hear that the service exceeded your expectations. Matron will ensure that all the staff on Kempton get to read your feedback and we hope that your daughter is recovering well.

Paul Melville gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Royal Berkshire Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ENT visit

I recently had a consultation with a particular consultant.
I can honestly say he put me at ease quite quickly.
There was a superb patient doctor rapport
He explained succinctly my nasal problems. I was very happy with the outcome.
I did not wait too long to be seen by tbe Consultant.
I was happy with all the staff I spoke to.
Well done ENT.
PAUL MELVILLE

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 14 February 2019

Royal Berkshire Hospital replied on 21 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to post a review - it is great to hear you had such a positive experience. Matron will ensure your kind comments are fed back to the staff involved.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Royal Berkshire Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Administrative inefficiency at ENT out-patients

The ENT department is inefficient.

I have been to the ENT Out-patients about 4 times per year for 4 years. On each occasion, it is running late, by between 30 and 90 minutes.
A recent visit was representative =
After waiting one hour, I asked the receptionist for information. She told me she did not know the current details, but this doctor always had to respond to A&E calls, and was always delayed. In other words. this delay to out-patients was well known, but no remedial action had ever been taken. After 90 minutes wait the doctor was available.
In the same waiting room were 2 separate patients. Each had gone deaf in one ear a few weeks ago, and were not being treated (medically) correctly. The first had received my appointment letter, 2 days earlier. The day on which I had received a phone call telling me that my appointment (which I knew nothing of) had been delayed to today. This patient had received no treatment since going deaf. The second patient was more active, but had not received the correct medication, despite chasing the NHS for a few weeks.

I am a regular customer and know that the RBH is significantly more inefficient in its out-patient services than the other local hospitals

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 17 February 2019

Royal Berkshire Hospital replied on 21 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We would like to apologise for the experience you had in our Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) Outpatient Department. If you would like to get in contact with us via the Patient Relations Team we would be more than happy to look into the issues you have raised in more detail. Telephone Patient Relations on 0118 322 8338 or email talktous@royalberkshire.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Florey Unit at Royal Berkshire Hospital a rating of 1 stars

rude nurse!

I came to the clinic at 7am, was the first to be there. I wasn't seen until 7.40am, then a nurse called for me and saw her. She was the rudest nurse i have ever met, I needed to have a coil fitted and also needed emergency contraception - she told me that i will have to come tomorrow at 10am, and when i told her i cant make that time due to work she told me i dont have an option and i am taking this service for granted! i have a 11 month old and it is hard enough finding a child minder for her and working and then on top of this i get grief because i cannot attend a 10am appointment. i asked for another day and she walked out and came back about 3 minutes later, i agreed to this appointment only because she was in such a bad mood! She then made an appointment and went through all the details about the coil which was good but wow! you would think she doesnt get paid for her job, her atitude was disgusting and I feel sorry for people who actually have real problems and visit this clinic. DO not recommend.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 12 February 2019

Royal Berkshire Hospital replied on 20 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are sorry that you had such a negative experience but unfortunately we are unable to investigate or address this issue without details of your date and time of visit. Your feedback will be discussed in our clinical governance meeting with the Florey Unit multi-disciplinary team but if you would like to discuss this in more detail or allow us to investigate further, please contact our Patient Relations Team on 0118 322 8338 or email talktous@royalberkshire.nhs.uk.

christine gave Gynaecology at Royal Berkshire Hospital a rating of 4 stars

long wait

I had a biopsy and polyp removed on 16 January, the staff were more than brilliant and i was made to feel special and cared for.
The nurses took time to chat to me and kept reasuring me.
The dept was clean and it was a pleasant day.
one complaint this took place 3 weeks ago and i have not recieved my results yet by letter,

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 05 February 2019

Royal Berkshire Hospital replied on 14 February 2019

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding your care - Matron will ensure the relevant staff read your review. However, we are sorry that you have not yet received your results letter. If you contact the Patient Relations Team, they should be able to help you with this once they know your patient details. Telephone 0118 322 8338 or email talktous@royalberkshire.nhs.uk to get in touch with them.

Cheryl McGrath gave Endoscopy at Royal Berkshire Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First Class Service yet again!

I attended the Endoscopy Unit today (7th January 2019) for a Colonoscopy procedure. From the moment I arrived in Reception I was greeted with a smile and a very helpful member of staff who took my appointment letter and showed me to the seating area. The Receptionist who checked me in for my procedure was equally courteous and helpful. The Nurse (apologies but I cannot remember her name) was just lovely and really took her time to explain everything to me. The doctor and nurses that I saw during and after my procedure were all very caring and attentive. As per all of my hospital visits in the past 2 years at The Royal Berks, I received excellent care and most importantly, I felt very valued as a patient. No question is ever too silly to ask and even though I fully appreciate that "time" is not always something that staff have, those pressures and demands are never projected onto the patient in my experience. I have no hesitation in recommending the RBH as an excellent hospital. First class service every time.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 07 January 2019

Royal Berkshire Hospital replied on 07 January 2019

The feedback that you have posted so promptly is wonderful to read and on behalf of the entire Endoscopy team we are delighted to hear that your visit went smoothly and that you received the patient experience we endeavour to provide for all our patients. This will be shared with the wider team as well. Wishing you a quick recovery.

DP Cowen reviewed Royal Berkshire Hospital

Royal Berks A&E

Called 999 for the first time ever due to chest pains. Ambulance sent and arrived in about 5 minutes. Great paramedics who were very experienced.
Taken into A&E, the entire department here were friendly and carried out their roles as efficiently as possible in a professional and caring manner. They carried out numerous tests and we were never left waiting for more than 15 minutes in between seeing a nurse or doctor. The department was busy on a Saturday afternoon but we were out with all tests competed within a couple of hours with a positive and reassuring outcome. The final young female doctor we saw was excellent and very in-depth. Thanks to all the A&E team at the Royal Berks in Reading.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 05 January 2019 using Care Opinion

Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 January 2019

Many thanks for the wonderful feedback. We strive to ensure we deliver the best service for our patients so it is great when we read that this has been achieved. Matron will pass on your feedback to all of the relevant members of the team.
We hope you are now recovering well.

HELEN MARTIN gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Berkshire Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Professional courteous service

I attended Royal Berks A&E today with earplugs stuck in my ears. I was very impressed with the speed and excellence of my treatment, the Dr was very thorough and kind in A&E and I was especially grateful to the the trainee GP who collected me from A&E and removed them on the ENT unit... he was very kind. Thank you NHS

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 03 January 2019

Royal Berkshire Hospital replied on 15 January 2019

Thank you for your positive review on your recent visit to the Emergency Department. We are glad to hear that you were shown kindness and that your problem was sorted for you.

Anonymous gave Florey Unit at Royal Berkshire Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Walk-in means won’t be seen.

Never had a problem if the first to arrive at 7am on a weekday- doors don’t open until 7am on the dot, usually quiet. On a Saturday this is rather a different story. I arrived at 9.20 and was with around 9 other people who were told the clinic was now full. Note on the website, phone lines and anywhere else this does not open until 9.30am. How are those who work during the week able to come to get the contraception they need if you are untrue to opening hours? Because of waiting times, it is difficult during the week to get down to you and not be turned away around 4pm. I have tried to call the clinic for over an hour to advise on a Saturday opening time and it has been ‘busy’ each time. Very frustrating that I made the journey, arrived before opening and still turned away. Could have saved me that journey or I would have left earlier. Disappointed and frustrated.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 12 January 2019

Royal Berkshire Hospital replied on 28 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on the service. As we are only open for two hours on a Saturday and due to the fact we are a walk-in service, there are always more people attending the clinic than we are able to see. We therefore have to limit the number of people seen on a Saturday to the first 20 people waiting. On this occasion, there was such a large queue that the clinic staff decided to open the doors earlier as there were already more than 20 people waiting outside the doors. We appreciate it is very frustrating to be turned away from a clinic, but this is due to the popularity of the walk-in system. The unit is open Monday to Friday until 7pm so there is an opportunity to be seen after normal office hours during the week.
Last week the Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare changed its guidance so if you are a contraceptive pill taker, we are now able to (depending on your health checks) provide you with one year’s supply of contraceptive pills at each attendance. This should mean that any future visits for you are reduced. Please remember that we are only able to provide regular contraception for women aged 25 and under. Once you are 26 year old, you must access your GP for any ongoing contraception requirements that you may have.
We have also just launched a home testing kit so people with no symptoms can take their own samples in the privacy of their home without the need to attend the clinic. This should hopefully increase our capacity, especially on a Saturday, to see more people with symptoms and those, like yourself, who require continuing contraception.