Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

0115 924 9924 Derby Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH

TaHannahandallstaff reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

My mothers stay of B47

Picking up my mother today after a 2 night stay in C57 and B47 she was in great form after their care and attention saw her though an episode of delirium. A small group had been singing together in the day room. She was animated and engaged and felt she had been away on holiday for a weekend. Our thanks to all the staff.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 11 January 2019 using Care Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 15 January 2019

I’m pleased to hear your mother is on such good form. We are very fortunate to have a great team of activity co-ordinators who organise various activities, including singing, for our patients to aid their recovery and recuperation. I’ll let them know that you appreciated their efforts and I’ll share your feedback with the rest of the team.

Best wishes to you and your mother,

Nikki King,
Ward Manager, B47.

Bill Stobbart gave Cataract Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Cateract Operation - excellent care, brilliant result

The title says it all. I had an operation on my right eye on the morning of the 5th December. The care and attention I received from all the staff was excellent. Despite the research I'd done and explanations given to me I was still a little fearful about the operation itself, which I suppose is quite natural when faced with the prospect of an eye procedure.

However, the actual experience was fine; excellent pre-op preparation, clear explanations and re-assurances. No pain at all during the operation. After a short recovery period I was able to go home.

Its now 10 days since my operation. I am following the post op guidance to the letter and I can say, that after an initial grittiness feeling in my eye for two days or so, everything is fine. I believe I am now well on the way to a complete recovery. My vision in that eye is dramatically improved and is far beyond my expectations.

Hopefully anyone reading this will be re-assured by my personal experience of the procedure.

My sincere thanks to the surgeon, his team and everyone else involved in the process. A big thumbs up for the NHS.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 15 December 2018

I’m pleased to hear you had a positive experience in our care. Thank you for taking time to let us know. I’ve shared your kind words with the teams involved, who all wish you well in your ongoing recovery.

Best wishes,
Keith Knox.
Matron, Head and Neck.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Lack of dignity and respect

I am a Qualified Nurse and I was shocked by the lack of communication, team work and care for my husband as he was treated in A&E last week after a trauma. The waiting area for wards was like a cattle market with trolleys of patients queued closely next to each other waiting for beds on wards. I will be writing a more detailed letter of complaint. I think there is a major staffing issue which was evident. My husband is now back home to my relief. I cannot complain about the ward staff they do the best they can with resources available. Parking is a major issue with a lot of signs damaged/ missing.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 02 January 2019

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 07 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch and for sharing your experience of our Emergency Department while attending with your husband. I’m sorry that you felt that you experienced poor communication and teamwork and that your husband’s treatment wasn’t to the expected standard. We are extremely busy at this time of year which goes some way towards explaining the number of trolleys you saw in the department at the time of your visit. I’d be more than happy to discuss your concerns further so that we can learn from your experience and make changes and improvements where necessary. I can be contacted on 0115 924 9924 ext 63700 if it would be helpful to discuss further.
Clare Mayfield, Emergency Department Matron

Anonymous gave Neurosurgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

In-patient experience

I have recently had the good fortune to be an in-patient at the Queens Medical
Centre in Nottingham.

I took myself to the accident and emergency department after noticing a sudden onset of a mild coordination problem which in the event turned out to be a brain tumour requiring emergency attention.
I am writing this letter is because as a former employee within the NHS, I realise how little acknowledgement the staff and the organisation get when things have been done well. The public are quick to criticise when things are not as expected.

I cannot speak highly enough of the attention I was given from the beginning to the end of my 3 admissions over almost a 3 week period.
I was a -patient on NSPU twice and received excellent care all the nursing staff. They were keen to tell me how supportive the sister is on the wad too. Nothing was too much trouble. The sister had even kept mu telephone charger safe for me from my previous visit and remembered to hand it back to me when I was re admitted.
The thing that impressed me most about the one night that I was there to recover post operatively, was that there was an extremely difficult to manage patient also on the ward who was undoubtable in some discomfort and confusion. I could hear him shouting out all night and at times he was clearly gripping the nurses too hard, to the point of hurting them. Never did they lose patience with him. At all times they maintained respectful of him and comforting and reassuring to him. I believe at one point they had to summon help, but that never detracted from the care and attention they gave to myself and to the other patients on the ward, who all managed to get their share of nursing. I take my hat off to each of them for their outstanding care.

I also spent time on wards D8, D10 and D11. Each and every nurse contributed to my well- being in a positive way. I met so many nurses that I can’t name them all individually which is a shame.
Overall, the care and attention I received throughout my stay, not to mention the speed in which I received 2 brain scans, 3 MRI’s, a biopsy and a resection has exceeded my expectations.

Who knows my prognosis? That isn’t set in stone. What I do know is that without the excellent care and attention received and the speed of the treatment, my chances would have been a lot less.

In all of this I need to mention my surgeon and his team who had enough belief in me to go ahead with an operation and subsequent planned treatment. I feel it is important for the staff to hear when they are appreciated, especially when the services are stretched to their limit. The important things are not ‘notice boards ‘and ‘reaching targets’, but the high standards of nursing care that these people strive for, and in my case at least, achieved.
I would like to thank each and every member of staff who worked on the above wards in December 2018 because the chances are that they will have contributed to my care,

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 07 January 2019

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 09 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave such fantastic feedback for the team on NSPU and Wards D8, D10 and D11. I’m so pleased that we made you feel so comfortable and well cared for at such a difficult time for you. Our nursing team are extremely professional and caring and it’s great to receive this sort of feedback. I’ll share your feedback with the team who will be so pleased to read such wonderful comments.
The whole team wish you all the best with your ongoing recovery.
Angie Braley, Matron, Neurosurgery

Kelly Holmes gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Great nurses and doctors - a credit to A23

I just want to thank all the nursing staff and the doctor's team for the care I was given last week... helping me through our nightmare of our world being turned upside down - the care was outstanding, not just for me the patient but they looked after my husband all the way through it too nothing was to much trouble for anyone.

I don't really want to go in to much detail on here as where still trying to come to teams with what's happened.

Sorry I can't remember everyone's names but I do remember the nurses that held my hand all the way through it.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 17 December 2018

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 18 December 2018

Thank you both for sharing your experience during what must be an incredibly difficult time for you both. I have shared your kind words with all of my colleagues on Ward A23, who each appreciate you taking the time to get in touch. We are all thinking of you.

Sarah Kordula
Ward Manager, A23

Jack gave Ophthalmology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Very poor waiting times

Attended Eye outpatient for a 9:10am appointment
First eye test by 9:30am then shown to consultant waiting area
Had to wait until 11:50 wham was told to go for an eye scan where there was still a 1 hour wait.
At no point was any information give about waiting times.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 17 December 2018

Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry for the wait you experienced and that our communication was poor. I’ve shared your comments with the clinic staff to remind colleagues that while on occasions waits are unavoidable, that it is important and respectful to ensure our patients are kept well-informed and know the reason for the delay.

Keith Knox
Ophthalmology, Maxillofacial and ENT

Doug Pimblett gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Emergency department thank you

I was brought by ambulance to the ED after fainting. The ambulance crew, nurses and doctor were all unfailingly pleasant and professional. The department was very busy and there was a bit of a wait but at no time did I feel ignored or forgotten. I was kept fully informed as I moved through the department.

My thanks to everyone involved in my care and treatment.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 17 December 2018

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 20 December 2018

What great feedback to receive just as we open our new Urgent and Emergency Care Centre, which includes a new adult ED entrance and expanded department so that we can further improve the experience of our patients and staff. Thank you for getting in touch. I’ve shared your message of thanks with our Emergency Department team. We all hope you are feeling better.

Best wishes
Clare Mayfield
Matron, Emergency Department

Terry Flynn gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

ENT/maxfac doc available but can't be bothered with A&E

When you are aware of NHS constraints (through a 22 year career in health) and see your GP instead of running risk of adding to A&E burden, the last thing you really want when you end up in A&E anyway is to be seen by a (presumed) nurse consultant who not only doesn't know the facts (as she acknowledged after being over-ruled following a phone call to the consultant) but insists on you following a self-treatment path that makes no sense - yes it was Boxing Day and though I make no accusations, one can't help wonder if it was just an attempt to get me out of the door.

Plus point - she said my GP should have sent me to A&E immediately. The PRIMARY fault lies at the door of my GP. BUT....
Minus point - corsodyl mouthwash for suspected antibiotic resistant infection/new infection??? Just send me to dentist? If no change then new (oral and reconstructive) surgery?

I was a Professor of Health Services Research and if this is really "efficient use of resources" then I'm a banana. Of course I'd never claim their attitude is "let's risk this guy getting septicaemia so I don't have to walk down to A&E". But little I was told made clinical sense.

Last time I went (reluctantly) to A&E was 2005. I was rushed through and ended up having my heart re-started. If I end up in A&E you can be very very sure I know something serious is wrong. And I get treated like a time-waster. I TAUGHT medical students.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 26 December 2018

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 27 December 2018

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch and sharing your recent experience. I’m sorry that you felt that you were rushed through the department and that your treatment wasn’t to the expected standard. I’d be more than happy to discuss your concerns further so that we can learn from your experience and make changes and improvements where this is necessary. I can be contacted on 0115 924 9924 ext 63700.
Clare Mayfield, Emergency Department Matron

helenc gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Lyn Jarrett Unit

I was admitted to this unit on Monday 3rd December and was discharged two days later. I would like to thank all the staff who cared for me in this time. They were absolutely brilliant, thank you so much all of you for your care, reassurance and patience. Absolutely brilliant care, a credit to the QMC and NHS as a whole.

Thank you!

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 05 December 2018

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 07 December 2018

Thanks for your lovely feedback; which is really good to hear. I’m pleased that we look after you so well. I’ve shared your kind words with the team, who send their best wishes.
Anita Morley
Ward Manager, Lyn Jarrett Unit

Stuart Croft gave Neurosurgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

Brilliant certain staff on ward D3 but poor admin and medics

Had the (mis) fortune to be on ward D3 throughout the new year period for 8 days. The staff on the ward floor were, in the main, fabulous. The staff delivering the meals and drinks were absolutely fantastic, even remembering my name (it wasn't written above my bed) when I'd been moved in the ward and this particular staff member had been off for some days. Most of the nursing and auxilliary staff were pretty good but my wonderful physio was the main hero in my surgery and rehabilitation following a considerable spinal injury. I cannot thank her enough. I am trying to find a feedback mechanism for individual staff so this can be taken into account on her record.

The communication of the medics/consultants was awful and bordered on the shambolic at times. For the majority of my time in hospital, I had no idea what was going on. I had one visit from two medics who asked me how things were progressing and failed to listen to a single word I said in response - even the lady changing my bed sheets was shocked by how rude they were. As a result they recorded I was making an improvement on my records, even though I told them the opposite. Awful behaviour, I wish I had their names but they even failed to tell me that audibly.

Similarly, I was throughout my visit promised by several consultants that I would be transported home in an ambulance, lying down as was the need following my surgery for the two hour journey home. Ward administration refused to do this, eventually arranging under duress sitting transport with my local ambulance authority. When the driver turned up he told me that; a - I should be lying down given my condition and b - they had plenty of crews that were available to do this. Needless to say I wasn't really pleased with this treatment and lack of communication amongst staff. My recovery could have been severely affected by the transport issue and the lack of compassion and understanding of the admin staff was upsetting.

So, a mixed experience. Awful communication of consultant/admin staff with each other and me as a patient. Some staff who should have been aware of the facts of my case weren't. BUT, certain individual staff (mainly the lower paid staff) were fantastic, supportive and generally incredibly nice and helpful. Thank you for treating my condition.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 08 January 2019

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 14 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for highlighting where we did well and where we fell short during your stay with us. I’m sorry that you felt that you weren’t listened to by your consultants and that our communication about next steps in your treatment and some behaviours were poor. Your comments about transport arrangements are also noted. We would like to look into your case and require some further details to do so. Please can you contact me on 0115 924 9924 ext 68451 so that we can discuss further and importantly so that we can provide you with the answers you deserve.
Angie Braley