Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

0115 924 9924 Derby Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH

Appalled wife reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

My husbands stay on ward B3

When I visited my husband today early July 2019 I found him in the most appalling state. Since being diagnosed with dementia, almost 5 years ago, he has always known who I am and also his family. Today his first day on the ward, not only did he not recognise me, he had no light in his eyes, he was still wearing the clothes he was wearing when the ambulance bought him in yesterday, he was unwashed and unshaven. His teeth and mouth needed cleaning and his breath smelt as a result of lack of oral cleanliness, neither could he speak, never mind string two words together.
I might add he had pj’s, wash bag containing all his needs and a towel. Non of these were used. He hadn’t eaten and was extremely dehydrated. As I was complaining his arms went out his mouth opened and he put his tongue out. I interrupted the doctor and offered his a drink, my husband who doesn’t like water downed a bottle, he was so thirsty. I asked for food and tea, he ate ravenously and drank a full cup of tea as well as another glass of water. He also ate a chocolate pudding and a bowl of fruit with two tubs of ice cream. I might add that although there was a jug of water, there was no glass. After eating and drinking, thankfully he was back, I had my husband back who new who I was. What has happen to caring for patients, what has happened to showing compassion to someone who is vulnerable. I know this ward isn’t geared up for looking after a dementia patient but they still have a responsibility of care. I was on the point of walking him out of the hospital and bring him home with me. Yours truly disgusted.

Visited in July 2019. Posted on 03 July 2019 using Care Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 11 July 2019

I’m sorry to read of your husband’s experience in our care and that it appears we have fallen well short of the standards we would expect for our patients. Your comments are extremely concerning. I would welcome the opportunity to listen to your concerns by discussing these with you personally. Please contact me on 0115 924 9924 ext 67756 and I will be pleased to do so.
Diane Capel
B3 Ward Manager

Sally Spink gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

They were amazing!

I visited the A&E Department around 10.45 pm on 4/7/19 due to abdominal pain and bowel issues, it was a referral from OOH GP service. Firstly the ladies on reception were lovely and although the dept was busy they gave me time to gather myself due to the pain I was in.The Nurses throughout my visit were all very professional, polite and kept me informed.The Dr who dealt with my concerns was lovely and never once made me feel uneasy or that I was wasting anyone's time. My visit in total was 4 hours during which time I had examinations,IV pain relief,a series of bloods and X Ray. All of which were explained to me fully,giving me reassurance when I was allowed home.Well done to all in the Dept, keep up the good work as there's so much negativity regarding the NHS!!

Visited in July 2019. Posted on 10 July 2019

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 12 July 2019

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m pleased our teams took such good care of you and kept you well-informed during your time in the department. I hope you are now feeling better. Have a good weekend.
Clare Mayfield
Matron, Emergency Department

sculptoryn64 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Professionalism & kindness from all different departments and hospitals

In 2018 I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer (by NHS screening programmes)
I was referred for colonoscopy @ Lincoln County Hospital who diagnosed colon cancer.
I was sent to Nottingham QMC. for a stent keep the colon from obstructing. (failed attempt) In Oct 2018 I had a left hemicolectomy. At Grantham & District Hospital. I had a Pick line (The Boston Graft) inserted ready for chemotherapy (Folfox) for 12 sessions, I completed 8. I am now awaiting resection of lived andastasis at Nottingham.
Throughout this period I have been treated with professionalism and kindness from all the different departments and Hospitals I have had treatment from.
Despite stated staff and being really busy at all times.
If I had been the Queens I could not have had better treatment.
(Waiting poor due to periskeval neuropathy) in my hands

Visited in July 2019. Posted on 10 July 2019 using Care Opinion

Anthony Harbottle, Patient Experience Officer, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 17 July 2019

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us and for sharing your experience in our care. We’re pleased that you felt that you were treated with kindness and professionalism during your treatment. I have shared your kind words with our teams.
Best wishes
Anthony Harbottle
Patient Experience Officer

Mr R. Walton gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Poor patient care

Visited Sat 13th July via visiting Specksavers with sore eye. 4.40 booked in. After 10mins seen nurse for eye tests, after further 20mins another nurse for eye drops. Told to wait for Doctor. After sitting till 6.45 no instruction from any staff to the waiting, to see doctor, l approach the man on reception, who then discussed by wait with the staff on duty. A further 20mins passed l was given a prescription for eye drops from a nurse. No Doctor seen, then was told, the Doctor had gone home. So much for care of patients, for a Doctor to leave the clinic without checking that all is patients are looked at, is appalling. I left the clinic 7.10 to get my prescription in main reception, not a happy patient. Very poor patient care, from staff and even worse from a professional Doctor in charge.

Visited in July 2019. Posted on 15 July 2019

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Care

I have just attended the ENT department having requested a second opinion following attendance at another hospital trust that left me anxious and dissatisfied . It’s impossible to over emphasise how much better this experience has been to my previous encounter. Staff were friendly helpful and efficient. I don’t generally judge by waiting time as there are so often unforeseen circumstances which can cause delay, however as I had no wait at all it was worth a mention. Thank you to medical and nursing staff for you help and support! You were great!

Visited in June 2019. Posted on 12 June 2019

Sherry41 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Nothing was too much trouble for them

I was admitted for emergency surgery via my GP and the surgical triage unit.
I was in a lot of pain at the time and was concerned that the operation I was about to have would have a long term impact on a previous procedure that I had had done a while ago.
From the moment I was taken down to the operating theatre to being discharged I cant thank the staff enough. I was well cared for and was given opportunity to ask questions long the way so that I fully understood what options of treatment the surgeon was considering depending on his findings once I was anethetised.
I appreciated the fact that the registrar that initially assessed me in the surgical triage unit spoke to a surgeon who specialised in my type of operation and it was decided that the senior surgeon would perform my operation the following day given what a delicate surgery it was. This reasssured me that I was receiving the best care possible care by an experienced person in his field of practice.
I’d particularly like to than the staff in the recovery lounge post operation. Helen (nurse) and Hannah (Student nurse) were tasked with monitoring me while I came out of the anaesthetic. Both of them were excellent. After examining me they told me in clear terms what procedure I had had done and skilfully dressed the wound and cared for me until I felt well enough to be transferred to the ward.
They were both bubbly professional people who clearly loved their job and this put me at ease. Nothing was too much trouble for them even to the point of Hannah running up to the ward to find my bag that I had lost along the way.
As I will most likely need further surgery to completely resolve my problem, after this experience I am now not quite so worried about it. I trust that the staff have the skills and experience to provide good care and achieve the best outcome for me no matter what.

Visited in June 2019. Posted on 01 July 2019 using Care Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 04 July 2019

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch. I’m sure your story will help others to feel reassured about coming into hospital for surgery. I’m so pleased that you felt well cared for, that we kept you well-informed throughout and that you felt confident in our care I will share your kind words with all my colleagues who support our emergency surgery pathway. We wish you the very best for the future.
Jeanette Mulhern
Matron for Emergency Pathway and Vascular Surgery

madperson reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Compassion and respect, just not enough trained staff

In the early hours this morning I was taken by ambulance to A&E after hurting myself badly.i arrived at the department at 2am and was triaged very quickly and put in a cubicle.
Every hour a nurse came to do my observations and ask me about my pain levels and for 9 hours I replied that my pain levels were moderate or 5 out of 10 and I asked for pain relief
At 7am the doctor prescribed me some painkillers but it took until 11am before I was finally given any after managing to ask a doctor why I hadn’t been given any
A&E was just so busy - it was chaotic and I can honestly say that everyone I encountered treated me with compassion and respect but there just weren’t enough trained staff to meet the needs of the patients and it felt scary
There were two patients who were mentally unwell and they were put in a cubicle next to each other as there was only one security guard to keep an eye on them. I felt so sorry and embarrassed for the patients as it was obvious that staff and other patients were finding their behaviour challenging but at times amusing and it just felt so wrong that there wasn’t any more support for them.
After struggling with mental health issues myself it just brought home that a busy A&E unit is not the place for someone experiencing mental distress. There needs to be a better place that they can be held whilst awaiting an assessment.
After speaking to a nurse who stitched me up after I had been in the department for 10 hours it seems to me like the new re-organisation is just not working and I have never seen staff so stretched and the department so busy. It is just not meeting the needs of patients or staff that work there. They do an amazing job to deal with the volume of patients and to juggle everything but it doesn’t feel like a safe environment anymore.

Visited in June 2019. Posted on 02 June 2019 using Care Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 06 June 2019

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us and for bringing to our attention your concerns about the safety of the environment and growing demand on our Emergency Department. We are grateful for your feedback, both positive and where we need to improve, which we have taken on board. I’m sorry to hear that you found the department to be chaotic and that you felt there was not enough staff to meet your needs and the needs of other patients. I’m also disappointed to hear that you observed some our most vulnerable patients not receiving the dignity and respect they deserve. I’d be more than happy to discuss and listen to your concerns further and so that I can share more information about the changes we have made recently to support improvements to the experience of our patients, including reducing overcrowding in the department. I can be contacted on 0115 924 9924 ext 63700 if you wish to do so.
Clare Mayfield
Matron, Emergency Department

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 2 stars

Ectopic pregnancy - traumatic event made worse

I was told after an early scan that my pregnancy was ectopic. I was taken to a counselling room to be told, which terrified me as the nurse told me it was dangerous and I will be given a few options, the options were briefly explained but made to sound horribly scary and after that we were left for hours in the room. With no idea what was going on it took hours for anyone to come and take my bloods, when I did get my bloods taken it was by a doctor who had no idea what was happening with my care so we still had no idea what was happening. We were eventually seen by a consultant and signed the forms for medical management and went home after 5 hours on the ward. I was told i'd receive a phone call the next morning confirming whether I can have the treatment and that if I can it will happen on the same day. I didn't receive a call by 12pm so called several times, spent a total of 40 minutes on hold, eventually was told to come to the ward as the treatment was ready. I begged on the phone that there wouldn't be a wait and was told there shouldn't be. My husband and I waited in the public gynae/early pregnancy waiting room for 1 hour 40 minutes and I was distraught. I watched many couples come and go for scans, nursing bumps and coming out with scan pictures. I felt like I was being tortured. When I was eventually called in to be treated my heart rate and blood pressure was through the roof I was inconsolably stressed. The nurses I saw were lovely and empathetic and I can't thank them enough. However, how I was processed through the ward, particularly the torturous waiting, made the worst time in my life immeasurably more traumatic. Please please put a partition in the waiting room for gynae/early pregnancy so that women like me don't have to sit listening to conversations about other women's excitement and joy about being pregnant and watching others enjoying the very thing that has just been cruelly taken away from you. I understand the NHS is under a lot of pressure and waiting times are probably something you can't help but obviously less time waiting, especially waiting without knowing what's happening, would have made things so much easier.

Visited in June 2019. Posted on 05 June 2019

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 07 June 2019

I am grateful that you have taken the time to get in touch, though so sorry to read about your distressing experience. We will absolutely take on board your feedback and make improvements where we can. I am sorry that you didn’t always feel fully informed about what was happening to you. I have fed this back to my colleagues in the early pregnancy and emergency gynaecology service for our learning. I would welcome the chance to discuss your concerns personally with you; if you would like to do this, you can contact me directly on 0115 9249924 Ext: 67130.

Benita Brear
Matron for Gynaecology

TOF Dad reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Ongoing communication issues

I find myself once again complaining about the QMC in Nottingham and the standard of care received by my daughter. I have tried time and time again to get things resolved internally but nothing has changed.
My daughter has regular surgical procedures done at the QMC and every single time we have a nightmare experience getting it all organised. On this occasion, following her last procedure, we were told her next one would be in 3 weeks time as she struggles to be able to eat over 4 weeks due to her condition and her consultant being on holiday. After 2 weeks, we hadn’t received communication of a date for said procedure so contacted the relevant people to check so that we can make the arrangements with work and nursery only to be told she’s not any list! We then got a phone call a day later to say she’d been booked in for 5 weeks time which we questioned how this was deemed to be acceptable knowing her condition means she won’t be able to eat anything and was told she would be placed on an emergency list.
We received a call on Tuesday from one of the surgical registrars to say she was booked into the morning list for Thursday and needs to be in Ambulatory care for 7:30am with a view to being seen in theatre at around 11am.
We turned up today at 7:30am only to be met with “You’re early, you shouldn’t be here until 11am as she’s on the afternoon list”!
The communication is either poor or none existent and no matter how many times we raise issues, nothing ever seems to change. We’ve lost money, used unnecessary holidays and even had to leave our job due to the lack of organisation with regards to our daughters care over the last 2 years.

Visited in June 2019. Posted on 06 June 2019 using Care Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 11 June 2019

I’m sorry that the communication between the department and yourselves regarding your daughter’s procedures hasn’t improved. I’m concerned to hear that nothing has changed since you last raised these concerns and I would very much like the opportunity to listen to your concerns so we can see what steps we can take to resolve these issues. If you would like to do this you can contact me directly on 0115 924 9924 ext 66623

Sarah Kennedy.

Patient Experience Officer.

Anastasia Smith gave Neurology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Disheartened and frustrated

I have been waiting to see a neurologist for a long time, and I am so disheartened by this appointment. The doctor dismissed my symptoms, didn’t take any time to look at my history, and accused the optician who referred me of ‘getting it wrong’. The doctor took one look at my 7-month-old, and concluded that I have PND. I do not have PND, and my symptoms are not even close to that of the symptoms of PND. I am a seasoned mother, who knows the difference between PND and something else at play. The doctor needs to stop looking at every young woman with neurological symptoms, as somebody who is ‘depressed’ or struggling with motherhood. There are many of us who are not depressed, yet have genuine medical issues. I will be returning to my GP and requesting an appointment with a female neurologist. Avoid.

Visited in June 2019. Posted on 07 June 2019

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 10 June 2019

I’m sorry to hear that you felt your symptoms were dismissed by your Consultant. I am pleased to hear you will be following the right route to get a second opinion and I hope this will be a better experience for you. You are welcome to contact me if you would like to discuss your experience further, and can call me on 0115 924 9924 ext 66510 if you wish to do so.

Simon Parsons