Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

0115 924 9924 Derby Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

macular eye department Friday 1 March

Many many thanks to your wonderful staff. I accompanied my 89 mum to her appointment and everyone was amazing. On arrival the receptionist spoke to my Mum clearly (usually people ignore her and talk to me). She gave her directions to get a coffee as we were early and on our return remembered us and said she had booked Mum in.

The three staff we saw - all made Mum comfortable and took their time to explain everything they were doing.

Thank you so much.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 04 March 2019

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 05 March 2019

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch and for leaving such wonderful feedback for our Ophthalmology Team. I’m so pleased to hear that the receptionist that greeted you was attentive and helpful and that during your mother’s treatment, time was taken to inform you both about what was going to happen next. I have shared your feedback with my team.
All the best
Keith Knox, Matron, Ophthalmology

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Disabled car parking charges.

I had occasion to attend QMC eye casualty recently. I am disabled. Fortunately a family member drove me and ran about to get change for the ticket machine.
Why doesn’t the machine accept card payments, especially for disabled parking. Not every disabled driver always has someone to drive them.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 10 March 2019

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 11 March 2019

Thanks for your feedback. We continue to listen to and act on feedback from patients and can confirm that we are currently in the process of reviewing and exploring a range of options for how we can expand the use of technology in our car parks to allow for more flexible payment methods. This will require significant investment but will be reviewed alongside other investment requests that are considered to be priorities in 2019/20.

With kind regards,

Paula Charlton.

Hub Manager, Estates and Facilities Management

Helen Young gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Appalled at lack of thorough assessment

My 84yr old mother in law was taken to hospital at 8.00pm by my sister-in-law after contacting 111. Her left leg had become bruised from the hip to the ankle (looked like she had a footless pair of black tights on). Her blood pressure was higher than normal and she had what looked like an ulcer/blister that had scabbed over. She has Alzhiemers/ Dementia and is always with someone when at home. After an initial several hours wait ,where she had no idea where she was or what was happening, she was just examined and sent home at 1.45am saying she must of had a fall. There was no form of scan or xray. She has not fallen down as she sits down all day and only gets up to go to the toilet and my father in law has not heard her fall or heard her shouting for help, neither has any other member of the family. Obviously, she cannot say if anything had happened as she has no memory due to her condition, its non existent. The way the bruising is, is not subject to a fall and I am not a Doctor. There should have been further testing before making that decision, after getting home, she has been asked if she has any pain, she states her leg around the sore and hip hurt when you touch it. We are very concerned about internal bleeding, infection, sepsis, but to name a few. Why were no scans or xrays carried out, or indeed a more thorough investigation before that decision was made.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 10 March 2019

I’m sorry that you feel your mother-in-law was not fully assessed and for the distress this has caused. It would be useful to get some more information so I can look into your mother-in-law’s case so that we can find out what happened and provide you with a fuller explanation. If you are happy to discuss this further can you please share your details with our Patient Experience Team? You can reach them on 0115 924 9924 ext. 66623 or QMCPET@nuh.nhs.uk.

Best wishes,

Simon Dejonge
Lead Nurse/Deputy Divisional Nurse Emergency Care

Jack Corah gave Neurosurgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

NSPU and neurosurgery (V.N.S implant)

5th March 2019 I had the vns implant fitted. ALL of the staff were absolutely amazing. All of them. Doctors, nurses, surgeons, porters (or other relevant title) ever single one was kind, patient, respectful, understanding and helpful... and given the obvious and overwhelming pressure, stress, time constraints, impossible logistics, lack of staff with those that were there mostly working 14hr shifts, huge amount of patients (some of which were hellish, rude and just plain ungrateful) it's a true testament to the NHS. I can't thank them enough for the treatment they gave me and my family.

So too all the staff on ward D9, clinic 2&3, recovery unit, everyone involved in surgery and all the other staff involved, thank you so much for changing my life and that of the ones I love.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 12 March 2019

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 14 March 2019

Dear Jack – thank you for your fantastic feedback which shows that what we do is very much a team effort. It’s really good to know that we were able to make such a difference to you and your family. I have shared your feedback with the various teams you mention.

Wishing you well,

Sally Boyle,

NSPU Ward Manager.

NurseB reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Lack of Interaction & communication

I was brought to ED via ambulance and I did not wish to take up a trolly and so sat on arrival. Name was shouted and I was pointed to a trolly in IAU. Sit there. So I did. A CSW took my observations and left. No other words spoken until I heard what we doing with cubical 2. To be honest I was really frightened which was never realised but because no one interacted at all. Lots of talk between the staff which I appreciate happens but not one said hello to me. I heard everyone else’s treatment plans and conversations. A nurse then asked what symptoms brought me in. An ECG was done, staff member was very nice but left with it. Heard someone outside say beautiful ECG which I took to mean normal. No one came back to explain this. I was then told I’m taking you to the next area. I then sat in minors for 11 hours. There was no interaction whatsoever from anyone in the dept, no one said hello or what the process would be. No one reassured me or explained my obs or ECG. And when I say no interaction I certainly wasn’t expected a long chat or a review I was happy to wait I just couldn’t believe the same standards of welcoming and communication aren’t happening in ED. The staff in minors sat behind that screened area cackling so loudly and laughing at how they’d not cleared their 12 hour wait today but another member said they’d cleared their 7 hour next door. No one checks on those laying on the chairs. I had no wristband and if alone wouldn’t have been able to be identified if anything happened to me. You can also hear and very loudly every single handover and conversation held through those screens. It felt like we were no one’s because we were waiting and there felt a real barrier between the staff in their area who finished their conversation before acknowledging a man waiting to book in. Really sad to see this in our hospital. The day staff arrived and were much more discrete behind the station but I felt that night team were awful.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 19 March 2019 using Care Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 21 March 2019

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us and share your detailed experience in our care. I’m both disappointed and concerned to hear of your poor experience. I’m also sorry that you felt that the communication from staff relating to your treatment plan was poor and that when not seeing to patients our staff seemed to lack the professionalism we would expect. The privacy of all of our patients is extremely important and I’m grateful to you for bringing this to our attention. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally to discuss your concerns and experience further so that we can learn from this and make changes where this is necessary for future patients. If you would like to do that, please contact me on 0115 924 9924 ext 63700, and I’ll be here to listen.
Clare Mayfield, Matron for ED

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Paediatric ambulatory

My 4 year old had an operation yesterday and I had to leave a review because we were so impressed by the wonderful care he (and we) received from all the staff we encountered.
Nothing was too much trouble, he was greeted and treated with smiles and patience, and everything was explained in clear language. We were told that it is important that children have a positive experience so that should they need to return in future they aren’t frightened. Well my son thought it was all such an adventure. Plenty of toys to keep him busy and lots of food when he recovered. Not to mention the hugely impressive medical treatment.
It is amazing to see that despite everything the nhs is facing, the ethics and staff still take a holistic approach to medical care. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are all awesome.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 14 March 2019

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.

carrieanne reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

My stay

I was admitted to ward f18 blue 2 for 4 days. I have broken my heel bone. Just want to thank the staff who looked after me.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 09 March 2019 using Care Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 12 March 2019

Thank you for your message of thanks, which we have shared with the ward team.

Wishing you well in your recovery,

Rebecca Fielding.

Deputy Sister, F18.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Rude. Delays. Unfair treatment.

Clerical staff seem to be both completely indifferent and don't care slightly about patients. Any requests or questions are met with anger from receptionists and they generally act to do anything they wish rather than to help patients.

They also were discussing patient details loud enough that I can now tell you the illnesses and details of a number of patients in this waiting room.

Doctors will reassure you they're going to help but 'forget' to give important injections and tablets, lie to your face "If this medication doesn't agree with you still, come back in and you'll be taken straight into the ward" were the words of the doctor. We acted upon those words and have once again been sat waiting over 4 hours with no information, pain relief. Frankly I haven't been treat like a human being during my time here yet rude and horrible staff expect to be treated with respect when they refused to give a basic level out. Disgusted with the department and service and would honestly advise people to attend different hospitals as the care is better and you'll probably get seen quicker

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 28 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback, which is deeply concerning. I’m sorry to hear your experience of attending our department has been such a poor one. It is important to us – given the severity of the concerns you raise – that we speak or meet so that we can listen to your concerns and look into this further once we have the full details. I can be contacted on 0115 969 1169 ext 67130 and look forward to hearing from you.

Benita Brear

Matron for Gynaecology.

Tyrone Cole gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Prescription delay

My father recently was in your hospital for a gaulstone. He is an 80 year old man. My mother got a phone call at 11.30 am the next day to say he was being released and just was waiting for a prescription to be given to him. I cannot believe that it can take 9 hours to sort that out. Yes 9 hours he was released just after 8.30 in the evening. I think to keep an 80 year old man sitting around this long is a disgrace. No wonder there is a shortage of beds when someone is taking a bed up nine hours waiting for a few tablets. Its absolutely disgusting and someone dragging there feet needs disciplining.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 16 February 2019

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 26 February 2019

I’m sorry to hear that your father has such a long wait to be discharged from our care recently as a result of medication delays. I will share this feedback with our Pharmacy Team. I would also like to share with the appropriate ward, but I will need some more information to be able to do so. If you are happy to, can you contact the Patient Experience Team to let us know your father’s details and which ward he was being discharged from so we can ensure this reaches the relevant teams?

You can reach us on QMCPET@nuh.nhs.uk or 0115 924 9924 x 66623.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. We hope your father is feeling better since his recent stay with us.

Sarah Kennedy.

Patient Experience Officer.

Rosemary Ricjardso gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Administrators ruining hospital

Been I nearly 2 weeks have have moved wards 7 times, this morning woke up at 5.30 am to be packed up and moved again on a so called bed managers instructions. Apart from.the hour it has left me feeling really apprehensive, I'm.usually a very laid back person but this has set my nerves on end. The nurse says it's cos I'm medically fit which I know isn't true and if it was, why not discharge me. The doctor says one think but these faceless bed managers another.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 17 February 2019

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve received conflicting information and been moved so many times during your stay – this isn’t the experience we would wish for any of our patients. I’d like to address your concerns directly with the ward on your behalf. Would you be able to contact me to discuss this further? You can reach me on 0115 924 9924 x 66623 or QMCPET@nuh.nhs.uk.

Sarah Kennedy, Patient Experience Officer.