Royal Derby Hospital

01332 340131 Royal Derby Hospital , Derby, Derbyshire, DE22 3NE

Tony gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Royal Derby Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ENT

Specialist is a consummate ENT surgeon and a credit to their profession.
I had a major ear operation many years ago which they successfully completed and they continue to provide ongoing aftercare and support to me as an outpatient

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 04 October 2017

Royal Derby Hospital replied on 12 October 2017

Dear Sir

It was very kind of you to take the time to write to the hospital; I am pleased to hear that you had and, continue to have a positive experience and that you wish to express your grateful thanks to the Surgeon from the ENT Department. Pals will forward your kind comments to the manager for ENT to share with the staff.

Thank you again for taking the time to write in, it is appreciated.

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Royal Derby Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Segmented decisions and delays

It is very clear that the NHS is in a crisis and that if you have anything involving more than one organ then the system is simply not geared up and only able to help if you hit a real emergency.
Having to now face financial ruin, loss of home and immeasurable stress on a marriage because of the ongoing impossibility of cardiac to communicate with respiratory and vice versa I am at one of the lowest points in my life.Systems are not shared so GP no idea what is happening.
The reality is that umpteen tests, in fairness requested by respiratory, are ignored by cardiology, despite being for the heart. Yet officially you are in the system and so not actually waiting to see a consultant. This is wrong. 9 months on; not able to work. Loss of job looms. I am simply lost in a merrygo round of indecision and a lack of leadership with no one person able to coordinate my care since the teams cannot decide if I'm cardiac or lungs! Well here's one; I'm both and as far as I'm aware both work together.
No wonder the NHS has non money.Why are those in work not prioritized?
Cardiac outpatient appointment cancelled 3 times. Still not seen yet obvious changes to heart valves, capacity and thickening. Continually breathless. Can no longer walk more than a few meters.
If you are remotely a medical mystery then prepare for a very very long paper shuffle, cancellations and being kept in the dark.
Do I have to have a cardiac arrest?
Seems that way.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 13 October 2017

Royal Derby Hospital replied on 13 October 2017

Good afternoon
Thank you for contacting the Trust about your recent experience with our Cardiology and Respiratory departments. I would firstly like to say that I am extremely sorry that you have had cause to complain. I appreciate that you will not have done so lightly and I would like to thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Your feedback is valuable in assisting us to identify areas for improvement.

I would like to invite you to discuss the matter further so that we can take your concerns forward. Please contact the PALS office on 01332 785156, we are open Monday to Friday 09:00 to 5:00 and outside of these hours the answer phone is in operation. If you would prefer to email please use, dhft.contactpals@nhs.net. You can attend the office without an appointment or ring for a specific date and time if that would suit better.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Royal Derby Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Coronary Care Unit.

I had the good fortune to be taken to Royal Derby Hospital on Wed 11th October following a collapse at home. Everyone involved in my care was amazing, from the Ambulance team who responded to the 999 call to the cleaning staff and everyone in between.
The care I received was fantastic and I actually felt listened to. The A and E doctor who saw me was amazing. I was then sent to the MAU, again I had really good care. The nursing team on CCU put me at ease and nothing was too much trouble for them. They explained everything to me and kept me in the loop as much as they could. The Catheter suite team again amazing. This team managed to diagnose a problem I've had since childhood and I've now been fitted with a pacemaker. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hospital from my personal experience. The big downside for me was the Wiltshire Farms ready meals. I am not usually a picky eater but for me they were just totally unpalatable. A big big thank you to everyone who looked after me. xx

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 18 October 2017

Royal Derby Hospital replied on 20 October 2017

Good morning

It was very kind of you to take the time to write to the hospital; I am pleased to hear that you had a positive experience and that you wish to express your grateful thanks to the various departments you were admitted to.

We will make sure that your compliment is passed to the relevant teams , as well as senior managers for these areas. Thank you again for taking the time to send in your compliment; it is appreciated and we sincerely hope you are continuing to improve.

Deb gave General Surgery at Royal Derby Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A cut above.

I saw the doctor in General surgery today and was compelled to leave feedback because the doctor really is a cut above the numerous consultants I have seen to date.
The doctor ran through all of my options in a clear, concise manner without talking down to me, treated me as an individual rather than a "patient" and put me at ease by listening and understanding before responding with empathy.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 04 September 2017

Good afternoon

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent attendance in the General Surgery department at the Royal Derby Hospital.

We will make sure that your compliment is passed to the relevant senior manager for the Surgical Services to share with the staff.
Thank you again for taking the time to send in your compliment; it is appreciated.

Eil Chiatoh gave Maternity services at Royal Derby Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic

Was seen at the Medical Assessment unit and the staff were one of the most caring I had ever come across. I felt well looked after. Sadly I was diagnosed with a OR, was moved to ward 314 where the midwives were excellent. Only let down were the Registrars who seemed to busy to explain my health situation to me except a doctor who was excellent.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 04 October 2017

Royal Derby Hospital replied on 05 October 2017

Good Morning

It was very kind of you to take the time to write to the hospital; I am pleased to hear that you had a positive experience and that you wish to express your grateful thanks to the staff at the Medical Assessment Unit and the midwives on Ward 314 in Maternity.

Pals will forward your kind comments to the managers for these departments to share with their staff, as well as the concern regarding the registrars.
Thank you again for taking the time to write into the hospital, it is appreciated.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

Ed Ashton gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Derby Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thank you all staff in children's a and e

My 18 month old son had a big fall. The staff were all great and reassuring. Spent 2 hours at A and E in derby. Within 5 mins we had seen a nurse who did a thorough physical check and confirmed they though he was fine. Saw a registrar about 20 mins later who do further checks again confirming all ok. Waited another 15 mins and saw the consultant who was happy. Waited another hour or so in a comfortable child friendly waiting room so the nurses could perform regular checks before they where happy for us to go home. The staff made a very stressful situation much better with there attitude, and professionalism - thank you

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 01 September 2017

Royal Derby Hospital replied on 08 September 2017

Dear Mr Ashton

It was very kind of you to take the time to write into the hospital. I am very pleased to hear that you both have had a positive experience of our services. I will make sure that your compliment is passed to the manager for the relevant team to share with the staff.

Thank you again for taking the time to send in your compliment; it is appreciated and we sincerely hope your son is recovering well.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Royal Derby Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My Daighter had her Appendix removed

I am so pleased with the care my daughter had whilst she was in hospital. She had her appendix out and was cared for amazingly by all the nurses, doctors and surgeons involved. Everyone was so informative by keeping my daughter at ease the whole time she was there. She enjoyed her stay that much she did not want to go home!
Thanks again to all the amazing staff at Derby Royal infirmary??

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 02 September 2017

Good afternoon
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent attendance in the Children’s and Adolescent Services at the Royal Derby Hospital.

We will make sure that your compliment is passed to the relevant senior manager for the department to share with the staff.
Thank you again for taking the time to send in your compliment; it is appreciated and we sincerely hope your daughter is continuing to improve.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

Debbie gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Derby Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visit to A&E after a fall

I just want to say a huge thank you to all the staff in A&E on Saturday morning and afternoon. Following a fall and a bumped head, I was brought in by a friend. We were dealt with promptly and with care by everyone we came into contact with. Everyone was friendly and reassuring while doing a professional job. Even though I came into ward 101 later on, I was given lunch and a sandwich was found for the friend who had accompanied me. We both had opportunity to witness the care of other patients in the ward and were impressed by the way elderly people with dementia were cared for with dignity and patience. If I ever have the misfortune to have cause to visit A&E I hope it lives up to the standard set at Derby.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 03 September 2017

Good afternoon
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent attendance in the A+E department at the Royal Derby Hospital.

We will make sure that your compliment is passed to the relevant senior manager for A+E to share with the staff.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Derby Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent staff

Admitted to A&E SAU on Sunday.
The staff couldn't have been more helpful. I was in a great deal of pain, but the staff were calm and understood exactly what they were meant to do. very professional.

General condition of the hospital was very good.

I am lucky that I don't have to visit any of our NHS hospitals very often, but my visit on Sunday to Derby Royal made me realise where all of our tax dollers go. Those guy's should be given pay rises.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 09 August 2017

Royal Derby Hospital replied on 10 August 2017

Good morning

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent attendance at the Royal Derby Hospital. We will make sure that your compliment is passed to the relevant teams , as well as senior managers for these areas.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS).

Children's A&E

My 2 year old son was sent to a&e after speaking to our GP surgery who thought the hospital was the most appropriate place for him to be seen.
We were seen by triage within 10 minutes, after being assessed we were shown to the next waiting room. Within another 10 minutes a nurse practitioner led us to a bay for a full assessment. My sons tenowrature was now 40.2 and they decided to keep us in the bay to see if they could get his temp to come down. The nurses came and made sure we were comfortable and his obs were taken very regularly. He was due some medicine at 4:30 and at 4:30 a nurse came with the medicine. His temp still wasn't coming down so we were taken round to the observation unit by a lovely nurse who settled us in and brought my son a snack box (which is a brilliant idea!) and a cup of tea for myself. The care and kindness given to us yesterday will always be appreciated. Every staff member we saw was lovely and made sure we were comfortable. I'm so grateful for the reassurance I received especilaly because I was on my own with my little boy.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 10 August 2017

Royal Derby Hospital replied on 10 August 2017

Good afternoon

It was very kind of you to take the time to write into the hospital. I am very pleased to hear that you both have had a positive experience of our services. I will forward your kind comments to the manager for the Children’s A+E to share with the staff.

Thank you again for taking the time to write in, it is appreciated and I hope you son is recovering well.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS).