Chesterfield Royal Hospital

01246 277271 Calow, Top Road , Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S44 5BL

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Chesterfield Royal Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Maternity consultation

I had recent appointment in maternity unit with the consultant after hospitalisation in other country with my pregnancy. I felt like doctor wasn’t really helpful with all my questions and things i wanted to pass to doctor from foreign doctors. After appointment i wasn’t very happy or felt more assure about my pregnancy then before the visit.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 09 November 2018

Chesterfield Royal Hospital has not yet replied.

Annie gave Colorectal cancer services at Chesterfield Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colorectal Cancer - 2 Week Wait appointment

The hospital contacted me just a day after my GP referred me. My appointment was 10 days later. The waiting area was bright and spacious, and the nursing staff helpful and friendly. There was a notice saying the consultant was running a little late but I didn't mind at all.The doctor I saw was friendly and caring, and took a thorough history. He explained what examinations he needed to do, and the examination itself was dignified and relaxed. Afterwards we sat down while he explained everything fully and told me what other tests he recommended and how these would be done. Even though a suspected cancer is very worrying, my experience during the appointment helped to lessen the worry a lot. Chesterfield Royal should be so proud of their Colorectal Team. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 20 November 2018

Chesterfield Royal Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Chesterfield Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

emergency admission

I dialled 999 because my husband had been suffering chest pains and passed out for several moments. The paramedics arrived very speedily and took him to the hospital. The staff in the emergency department were clearly incredibly busy and clearly understaffed, but they were kind, helpful and thorough. It turned out to be pleurisy, not a heart attack. We are grateful to all for the service.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 25 November 2018

Chesterfield Royal Hospital has not yet replied.

David Bamford gave General Surgery at Chesterfield Royal Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Hernia Repair, Holywell day surgery ward

My overall experience was good, however there were a few things that I thought could have been done I little better.
When I initially recognised that I had a problem I tried to book an appointment with a doctor at my local primary care surgery. When I attended this appointment I found that it was with a practise nurse not a doctor which was not made clear to me at the time. The practise nurse booked me in for a scan at the Hospital. I waited a week and a half and phoned the department to find out when my scan would be and was told I had been referred back to my local GP. The receptionist at my local surgery told me that they had been informed about this but had not informed me whereupon she rand through to the GP who referred me back to the practise nurse. I was in a lot of pain at the time and so insisted that I see a doctor ASAP. The doctor told me I needed to see a surgeon straight away as the hernia was strangulating and 'the bowel could die' but the appointment was not for another 5 weeks which was the earliest they could fit me in. When I did see the surgeon my surgery was booked in quite quickly and the operation and care in the ward was very good, The ward nurse gave me a letter and told me that a district nurse would visit me to dress the wound after 2 days however the local surgery contacted be halfway through the day and told me I would be expected to attend the appointment at my GP surgery which had no available bookings that day so it would the day after.
I thought the care from the Holywell ward was very, very good but the communication between the Primary care GP surgery and the hospital was poor and the feedback to the patient was also poor from both. It almost seems as though the GP surgery and the hospital were not working together. An example of which is when I questioned the nurse about having to go to the surgery instead of a home visit which the hospital had promised she said 'they always say that and expect us to fit it in'. Why would the hospital make this commitment when GP surgery had no intention of carrying it out?

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 26 November 2018

Chesterfield Royal Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Chesterfield Royal Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Referral from GP to EMU

What an absolute shambles the EMU department actually is? I am appalled and extremely disappointed that a visit to this department would be be so unbelievably stressful and disappointing! I was made to feel ignored and irrelevant by reception staff when I raised the issue of being sat in the department for four hours without any explanation from any single member of staff. I was informed by my GP that I urgently needed to see the surgical team with my health issue and that it could potentially be a serious issue, clearly all the staff in this department know better by some other diagnostic method that I am unaware of.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 19 November 2018

Chesterfield Royal Hospital has not yet replied.

Gary Ellis gave General Medicine at Chesterfield Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Angiography Department

I just wanted to express my gratitude to all the staff in the angiography department. I am so impressed with the facility which is both clean and friendly. The nurses are all brilliant and treated everyone with great sensitivity and help create a very relaxed environment for a procedure which can be very nerve-wracking. Thank you everybody.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 27 November 2018

Chesterfield Royal Hospital has not yet replied.

Karen Newberry gave Head and neck cancer services at Chesterfield Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Head and Neck Cancer Services

I am about to be discharged after 5 years of outstanding care and treatment from this team. the consultant and the team have been professional, caring, sensitive and supportive. I couldn't have asked for anything more from any of the team, and can't thank them enough.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 07 November 2018

Chesterfield Royal Hospital has not yet replied.

marilyn matthieson gave Accident and emergency services at Chesterfield Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

suspected heart issues

Today I phoned GP surgery for advice and there were no appointments left.
I rang 111 as advised and after completing their questionaire they sent paramedics who checked me thoroughly and took me to Royal Hospital Calow
Calow were professional and helpful and thorough
Thank you to everyone who looked after me today

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 01 November 2018

Barker gave at Chesterfield Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Angiogram department

After my visit to the angiogram yesterday I want to tell of my superb experience and care.
The staff were friendly and efficient and quite obviously very happy in their work. I was looked after so well and kept up to date with procedures. It was a great relief to have this specialist treatment as I was extremely afraid of being seriously ill and having my life style being restricted. Thank you so much to you all, you really excelled.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 08 November 2018

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Chesterfield Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Today I once again attended this department for a routine follow up. It never ceases to amaze my husband and I as to the fantastic service of this department. Everyone I saw today and in the past have been brilliant. Having been treated privately before, the treatment I get here from everyone is better. Keep up the good work and thank you ladies for listening to me regarding my recent surgery.

Regards