University Hospital Of North Durham

0191 333 2333 North Road , Durham, County Durham, DH1 5TW

Judith Kane gave University Hospital Of North Durham a rating of 5 stars

Colonoscopy

Just returned for this procedure 4/10/18 which is not nice to have done but have to say the level of care from the doctor who performed it to the lovely set of nurses who really showed care and consideration throughout were a credit to this department don't be put off having a colonoscopy it has to be done for your own piece of mind and you will be well cared for at all times as I was well done to the team and thank you.

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 04 October 2018

University Hospital Of North Durham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Medicine at University Hospital Of North Durham a rating of 1 stars

Ward 6

Absolutely horrible ward they discharged my mam and she wasn't well enough to come home and was back in hospital the next night even worse she was in 3 weeks on ward 6 and was worse when they discharged her no care on this ward at all I am absolutely disgusted about the care

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 24 October 2018

University Hospital Of North Durham has not yet replied.

Sheila gave General Surgery at University Hospital Of North Durham a rating of 4 stars

Well cared for

I've just returned home having had a mastectomy. This is my second episode of breast cancer and this experience was much superior to the firdt. My eternal gratitude goes to all staff at the day unit and ward 9 not forgetting my surgeon and my breast cancer nurse.

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 28 October 2018

University Hospital Of North Durham has not yet replied.

Joanna Baskerville gave General Surgery at University Hospital Of North Durham a rating of 1 stars

Operation Cancelled

Called yesterday to confirm there was a bed available for operation and was told to be in to the Day Surgery Until for 7am. Got there for 6.40 and was prepared to wait. Approx 7.15 nurse came to do pre op checks and I spoke to anesthetist. Both were really nice. After the nurse had finished with me she then said that "there was a bed issue" so after getting myself all worked up the night before due to operation I was even more anxious that the operation may not be going ahead due to a shortness of beds. I returned to the waiting area and the anesthetist came to me approx 6.30 and said that the consultant had left him a voice message stating that he did not think that my operation would go ahead. I was offered a cup of tea n toast after sitting waiting for a definite decision until approx 9.20. The nurse asked me if I had transport to get home where I advised that it was my sister who tool me in for operation before she went to Newcastle to work and that my husband does not drive. The nurse who booked me in said that she would sort something and the next time I saw her she was calling another patient in for booking in. A further nurse came to give me my discharge letter and I asked if the hospital had an account with a taxi company as I was getting agitated and just wanted to go home as soon as I had transport. Needless to say this nurse said that she was going to speak to the Matron. As I waited another 15 minutes I went to the reception desk and advised the receptionist to let the nurse know that I was going and the receptionist could see my distress as my eyes filled with water from nearly crying. I called my husband.at home, and asked him to order me a taxi which arrived and I eventually returned home approximately 10.10. I am annoyed that I was advised that there was a bed when clearly there was not. I was not the only person in the waiting area this happened to today. An operation is a very stressful time and this is being enhanced by the bed situation. The same experience happened last May when I had the same operation. I waited with my husband until 1 pm and then said we weren't waiting any longer for bed, I was taken in a week later where when my bloods coagulated and the operation could not go ahead on the same day I had to stay in for a week so that I did not loose the bed.What a farce.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 13 September 2018

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent visit.

I am very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your experience on this occasion and we will make sure your feedback is passed to the relevant manager.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you and if you would like to contact us with some more detail it would enable the matron or manager to look into your concerns for you. If you feel this would be useful please contact the Trust’s Patient Experience Team on 0800 7835774. If you would prefer to contact us by e-mail, our address is cdda-tr.patientexperiencecddft@nhs.net

If you do decide to contact us, please make us aware that you have left comments on the NHS Choices website.

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients.

Tel: 0800 7835774

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Of North Durham a rating of 3 stars

A & E visit

We arrived in A & E on Saturday 15.09.18 at 2.45. My husband was in agony with kidney stones. Was told he would be waiting 3-4 hours to be seen. After waiting nearly 5 hours in agony he went to see the receptionist who told him they didn't know how long he would be as all the rooms were full and there were at least 4 patients on trolleys in the corridor from the ambulance service. There was no announcement to say there was a hold up and everyone was sat staring into space not knowing how long they would be there. When eventually we did get seen, the doctor wrote out a prescription with incorrect information on as I was informed by the pharmacist on the following day when I went to collect it. I think it is time that Durham got there finger out and built the new A & E which has been promised for about 2 years. This hospital cannot cope with the amount of patients coming in and something needs to be done.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 16 September 2018

Suki89 reviewed University Hospital Of North Durham

My daughter who swallowed a button battery.

On a Sunday at 4. 30pm my daughter swallowed a 3v button battery, around the size of a 10p piece. We were instructed by the opertator at 111 to go into a&e within the hour, which we did.
Upon arriving we were seen by a triage nurse and my daughter was sent for an X-ray, she had an X-ray from the side of her stomach which confirmed the battery. We had a 3 hour wait until a surgeon called back from the Royal Victoria hospital after reviewing the X-rays and instructed us to go home and come back in the morning for another X-ray to see if the battery was making progress moving down. We returned at 9am the following morning and she another X-ray, This time the X-ray was taken straight on, the Dr seemed confused as to why they had x-rayed her from the side the day before and from straight on the day after as he couldn’t tell if the battery was making it’s way down. We were then instructed that she had been x-rayed too soon after the incident and we were to return on Tuesday at 4. 30 (48 hours after the incident) with still no sign of the battery we returned on the Tuesday at 4. 30 for another X-ray which to our delight we couldn’t see. We were slightly concerned as we hadn’t seen the battery pass and I had been very careful to check every nappy thoroughly for peace of mind. The Dr presumed the battery must have either passed without our knowing or it was further down, near the rectum because it couldn’t be seen on the X-ray. We left hospital not entirely satisfied but felt we need to put some trust into the Dr’s.
On Friday I returned to the a&e department concerned that I still hadn’t seen the battery pass, after waiting for an hour we spoke to a nurse who felt my daughters stomach and asked if she had been feeling ok within herself. Which she had. I strongly expressed my concern that I hadn’t seen it pass, after all I was the one pulling apart her poo for the last 5 days.
She went away to speak to the Dr we had been dealing with and to check over the previous X-rays, returning 15 minutes later she told me that she “felt confident it had passed” and that “ you should really stop sifting through her poos now” they felt it was unnecessary to X-ray her again. So I left feeling very dismissed and patronised, and worried as I still hadn’t come across a battery!
At around 8. 30 pm that evening I received a call from a surgeon at the Royal Victoria infirmary asking for some information re my daughter X-rays. The surgeon phoned Durham hospital requesting my daughters latest scan that she had on the Tuesday and called me back to tell us that Durham had in fact only X-rayed a part of my daughters stomach missing the top of it and the bottom. Later discovering the battery was actually in the top corner of the stomach which couldn’t be seen in the X-ray because they failed to X-ray that part. We were instructed to attend the RVI the following morning at 9am for yet another X-ray to check wether it was still there or not. Low and behold there was the battery in full view.
Because of the battery’s position they decided not to do any surgery and let it come out naturally as it was in the colon and making its way down. My daughter recently passed the button battery which is black and started to corrode. If this battery got stuck in the stomach and Durham failed to pick it up or even X-ray her days later to confirm it was out when I was expressing my concerns it could have been a very serious situation. I feel let down by Durham hospital, I looked to them for reassurance and got nothing but made to feel like an over paranoid Mum.
Thank goodness the RVI was on the ball and called to check on the situation. My daughter is only 2 and in my opinion far too young to be taking any chances.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 22 September 2018 using Care Opinion

Anonymous gave University Hospital Of North Durham a rating of 1 stars

I will never go to UHND again

I had a telephone consultation with my GP this morning. She arranged for me to go to UHND as the x-ray equipment at Shotley Bridge was out of action.
In the main xray dept, the nurse calling the names could not pronounce the patient's names properly.
I had my xray carried out by an ASSISTANT then told to wait.
The assistant came & told me the report would be sent to my GP in 7 to 10 days, I asked about treatment, I was to see my GP
I told her I would be going to the RVI Newcastle A&E Dept to be seen and have treatment.
I have been a patient at UHND, I have worked there both on agency and as a company rep. I have never found it a hospital that works in the patient's interests. I won't be going there again, it is unfortunate that I live in the UHND catchment area

TH DEPARTMENT WAS X-RAY

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 18 September 2018

Tel: 0800 7835774

Hospital is borderline to being overwhelmed as too small

Drastically understaffed to nearly unsafe, sent to A&E via 111 after 2hrs we were sat in waiting room, 4hrs were advised basically to go else where as it was 5 to 6hrs to get seen. Obviously we waited as was already 4hrs in, after 5hrs 20min we got into an A&E room and received pain relief and were advised that A&E had been closed to emergencies, should say so as the lines of people lying on trolleys in the corridor and the waiting room full of people. UHND drastically need to expand services to 24/7 in this day and age across all departments as illnesses do not stop overnight or at the weekend and with dramatic increase in housing the population around durham, the current size and effectiveness were drastically underestimated when this was rebuilt. Staff are brilliant with what they have but the hospital is borderline to being overwhelmed and unsafe

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 21 September 2018

Tel: 0800 7835774

Anonymous gave General Medicine at University Hospital Of North Durham a rating of 5 stars

A&E, Acute Medical Unit, Ward 5

During two short stays in this hospital recently I was impressed by the professionalism, expertise and friendliness of EVERY member of staff I met. The respect I was shown and the care I received were exemplary. Thank you.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 10 August 2018

University Hospital Of North Durham replied on 16 October 2018

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent visit.

I am very pleased to hear that you had a positive experience and that you are happy with the care you received.

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients, and your kind comments will be shared with the relevant manager to pass onto the staff on your behalf. I know they will be encouraged by your positive comments.

Anonymous gave at University Hospital Of North Durham a rating of 1 stars

Wish I could give 0 stars

My husband and I had a previous complaint upheld but he said “never again am I going in there” but he had to come back .... could it get worse YES. I dropped crisps couldn’t reach to pick them up 2 days later they were still there, there were used cotton swabs left on windowsills, corners of wards (behind entry/exit doors) were grubby, syringes on the top of lockers etc. Nursing - waiting for urine bottles, staff talking ‘over’ the patient, etc. Doctors - not using gel, not explaining tests, tests upon tests then ‘thinking’ it’s simething but not ding a test to rule it in or out ....is that guessing. Discharged to be readmitted 1week later!

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 10 August 2018