Hull Royal Infirmary

01482 875875 Anlaby Road , Hull, HU3 2JZ

302 total | 10 found in Dermatology Show all reviews

Anonymous reviewed Dermatology at Hull Royal Infirmary

Outpatient appointment

My appointment at the dermatology department was for 3:30. At 4:15 I asked the receptionist how much longer I was going to be. It was estimated that it would be another 25 minutes, approximately. I asked why , in these circumstances, reception staff could not have explained to people waiting that there was over an hour's delay, to be told that it was not their responsibility to do this but the nurse's.......how can this be, and even if it were the case, would it have inconvenienced them to explain politely to the waiting patients that the clinic was running late , for whatever reason? People are, generally, very understanding if they are treated with respect as opposed to complete disinterest.
I have no issue with the medical staff, I have received very good care, but the reception staff need to be a little more engaging. I left without being seen because I had to be somewhere else which is not ideal.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 02 June 2016

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 22 June 2016

Thank you for placing your posting on the NHS Choices website. We are sorry to read of your recent experience in the Dermatology Outpatient clinic. We will ensure your comments are shared with the Dermatology team.

In order to address the concerns you have raised, we would like to invite you to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) on (01482) 623065 or email pals@hey.nhs.uk. They will be able to take further details and advise accordingly.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your views on local NHS services.

June Gardiner reviewed Dermatology at Hull Royal Infirmary

Excellent care

I recently spent 16 days on Ward 35 as a dermatology patient. I cannot praise the staff highly enough. Nothing was too much trouble and everyone was so helpful and kind. The staff from both Ward 35 and from Dermatology were extremely professional but their compassion and dedication shone through. Many, many thanks to everyone involved.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 23 April 2016

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 28 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the team on Ward 35.

If you need to discuss our services further, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) on (01482) 623065 or email pals@hey.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Dermatology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Dermatology appointment

I had my dermatology appointment last week and was prescribed tablets for hyperhydrosis. I was seen 2 minutes after getting there and spent around 3 minutes with the consultant. The Dr was very nice but I felt that instead of asking me about my symptoms or how this has affected my life, they just gave me the prescription and that was that which was good and not time consuming. I just think after a decade of suffering, my GP could have done this a long time ago.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 21 March 2016

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 30 March 2016

Thank you for placing your posting on the NHS Choices website. We would like to invite you to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) on (01482) 623065 or email pals@hey.nhs.uk to discuss your experience in Dermatology outpatients further. They will be able to take further details and advise accordingly.

David Rodgers gave Dermatology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Experience

Had an appointment at the Dermatology Unit on Monday 8th February after a referral by my GP for a small spot on my arm which didn't respond to treatment. Was greeted by friendly staff and seen within 5 minutes of my arrival. Contrary to some previous comments both the Doctor and Nursing staff were friendly and informative. After an examination I was offered to go either on the waiting list or as they had a slot available that day a minor operation to remove the spot in 30 minutes time. Rather than having to come back again I took the option to have the spot removed there and then. Waited no more than 30 minutes as was taken into the operating theatre where the doctor I had seen earlier was waiting for me. The whole operating was over within 15 minutes with the use of a local anaesthetic. All through the operation both the doctor and nursing staff were reassuring me and telling exactly what was happening.

The NHS does come in for certain levels of criticism from people at times but I have to say how lucky we are in the UK to have the best health service in the world which always comes up trumps when need. My experience on the day backs this up and I can't speak highly enough of all the staff on duty that day.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 10 February 2016

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 16 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Dermatology team.

Christine gee gave Dermatology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Dermatology appointment

I visited the dermatology dept after a referral from my doctor for a facial spot.
I found the whole experience unpleasant . The doctor was devoid of communication skills and openly admitted that they did not talk much and in their words ' I do not find talking helpful in my job'' !
I suggested that the patients would certainly find empathetic communication totally desirable . Indeed a job in medicine surely means you are concerned with the whole person you are treating in order to make their diagnosis as informed but as caring an experience as possible .
I cannot believe that this critical side to medicine is not taught in med school!
I have had breast cancer, my partner , prostate and I am currently looking after my mum who has terminal ovarian cancer . My partner us being admitted next week for a mouth cancer op. This is only mentioned to highlight the stress many people are under and a kind word and a pleasant exchange with all patients is essential to allay further angst.
Fortunately my diagnosis was not cancer but I dread to think how I would have been if it had been !
Even the dermatologist who I then saw told me when I asked about waiting times I'm a doctor not a secretary ' !
No one is entitled to speak like this in or outside hospitals . My family and friends have been horrified by my experience. I just hope my partner encounters more humane physicians next week on entry to Hull Royal . A response would be welcome .
Chris Gee

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 27 January 2016

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 15 February 2016

Thank you for placing your posting on the NHS Choices website. We are sorry to read of your recent experience in the Dermatology department. We will ensure your comments are shared with the Dermatology team.

Anonymous gave Dermatology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

out patient appointment

Attended the dermatology clinic which is in the eye hospital building.
Reception was friendly and efficient and i was seen bang on the time of my appointment.
I had an unhurried and thorough consultaion and was explained what my problems were and given a letter for my Doctor to raise a prescription.
I have been on the medication for several days now and can see a small early sign of improvement.
Everywhere was clean and staff were helpfull.
I was dreading it as I had read and heard some very negative feedback about HRI.
I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 08 February 2016

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 16 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the team in Dermatology.

Anonymous gave Dermatology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Useless!

The dermatologist was terrible!! I took my little boy initially when he was 5 months old. Got told not to give him milk but was given no alternatives! The second visit 3 months later the dermatologist requested the wrong dosage on my sons medication causing a bit delay in getting this from the pharmacist. Never got call back as promisedz Very distressing!!

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 21 December 2015

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 23 December 2015

Thank you for placing your posting on the NHS Choices website. We are sorry to read of your recent experience and we will ensure that the staff concerned are made aware. If you would like to discuss this matter further with us, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service on (01482) 623065 or email on pals@hey.nhs.uk.

If you would like to become more involved in decisions about local healthcare, we are recruiting members. By becoming a member you receive our quarterly newsletter, find out more about your local NHS and help us improve local services. You can also attend our ‘medicine for members’ sessions and respond to questionnaires. You don’t need any special skills or experience to become a member; you just need an interest in local health services. There is no commitment, you can get involved as much or as little as you choose. For more information please either email foundation.trust@hey.nhs.uk or telephone the Corporate Affairs office on telephone number (01482) 675165.

Anonymous gave Dermatology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 3 stars

Awaiting test results

I attended the dermatology department almost a month ago as a priority appointment to look at a mole. Unexpectedly the mole was removed in a quick and painless procedure. However 4 weeks later despite numerous calls to my GP I am still awaiting the test results. This period of time is unacceptable and distressing.

Visited in October 2015. Posted on 10 November 2015

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 20 November 2015

Thank you for placing your posting on the NHS Choices website. We are sorry to read of your recent experience and we will ensure that the staff concerned are made aware. If you would like to discuss this matter further with us, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service on (01482) 623065 or email on pals@hey.nhs.uk and they will be able to help find out what is happening with your test results.

Anonymous gave Dermatology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Disappointing

After being born with mastocytosis I have been under dermatology my whole life. As an adult I have been discharged, referred again, discharged again etc. Considering this condition can deteriorate over time and begin to attack major organs, they did regular blood tests for a couple of years and now that is even forgotten. Absolutely disgusting.
The flare ups can lead to anaphylactic shock, this is basic on every website when you type in mastocytosis...as a precaution an epipen should be carried. These doctors don't seem to know this.
Understandably it isn't curable but considering it can deteriorate you would think that they would be monitoring this just as good practice
The worst case scenario is it can turn into blood cancer.....not important enough to monitor?

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 16 August 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary has not yet replied.

pam gave Dermatology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

reception

Trying to get through to reception via telephone is useless.

I have just held on for 25 minutes, listening to a recorded message saying "you will be answered soon, etc".

I understand now why some people do not turn up for appointments - they have probably tried telephoning and had to give up - like I did !!!

and, yet, when I am at the Clinic, there are a number of people in reception chatting/laughing.

Can someone please answer the phone !

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 20 June 2016

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 22 June 2016

Thank you for placing your posting on the NHS Choices website. We are sorry to read of your recent experience trying to contact outpatients in for dermatology. We will ensure your comments are shared with the Dermatology department.