Hull Royal Infirmary

01482 875875 Anlaby Road , Hull, HU3 2JZ

302 total | 26 found in Ophthalmology Show all reviews

Excellent care

Both my husband and I have needed there services of this department over the last 18 months and can only say the staff have been amazing.
Particularly the clinical staff have showed an enormous capacity to care about us as individuals as well as getting on with our clinical needs.
Going forward my father is also going to be cared for and I will need monitoring for the foreseeable future - but I am extremely confident that we will be cared for to the highest possible level.
Great team and great facilities.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 07 September 2017

cataract op

After only waiting for about 4 weeks I was given an appointment on the 6th June for a pre assessment. Although very full, the 2 clinics ran efficiently and smoothly. I was surprised that the date of my cataract operation was only 2 days away. This was not a cancellation since a few of the previous patients were also given this date. Again, everything ran like clockwork and I cannot praise all the staff enough for their care and professionalism. Thankyou to all concerned.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 12 June 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 17 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Ophthalmology department.

If you need to discuss our services further, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) and they can be contacted on:

• Online: https://www.hey.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/feedback/

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your views on local NHS services.

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Waste of appointment

After a 2 hour wait in outpatients and spending £4.00 on parking and a 20 mile round trip I had been booked with the wrong consultant. The doctor I saw made it clear I was booked in the wrong clinic A waste of an appointment and a waste of my time and money. Now after being rebooked my appointment is 3 months after my consultant wanted to see me. The nursing staff and doctors are amazing but the administrative staff clearly think they know better than the consultants and ignor the consultant requests.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 20 May 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 23 May 2017

Thank you for placing your posting on the NHS Choices website. We are sorry to read of your recent experience at the Eye Hospital. We will ensure your comments are shared with the Ophthalmology team.

In order to address the concerns you have raised, we would like to invite you to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) who will be able to take further details and advise accordingly. The PALS service can be contacted on:

Transfer to Eye Hospital

I attended the A@E department early on the morning of the 17 th of May. I wanted to thank the doctor on duty for their quick assessment of my eye and my efficient transfer to the eye hospital. I was supposed to be celebrating my 70 th birthday in London with an afternoon tea at the Dorchester. Due to the excellent service I received I was able to catch a new train and made it to the afternoon tea, so many thanks!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 08 June 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 14 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the A&E department.

Lesley gave Ophthalmology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Opthalmology appointment wait times, telephone based.

Appointment 1pm, actually seen at 3:45pm, everyone had the same time in the room surely some sort of scheduling should be administered. When the op was over we were last in the building, external doors locked and cordoned off, no-one to point us in the right direction, reception closed so was told to ring back for appointment for the stitches etc. taking out by the discharging nurse. Tried today for over 2 hours, phone line cut off at the hour point twice so eventually rang the emergency number and was told they are like that with us too !, a law unto themselves, nurse to hand my request in personally by walking down to reception. Not impressed at all.The care seems fine, it is the front line support that is lacking somewhat. I would also question the relevance of this site as no-one appears to respond at all, but no surprise there given its yet another back office function that is broken and needs managing.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 07 March 2017

AHart gave Ophthalmology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Care eye ward and hospital

The treatment and care that I have received both in the clinic and on the eye ward over the last 2 years has been excellent.
The ward staff especially gave a very high level of nursing care but were also empathic and gave me TLC when I most needed it, it was a frightening time.
The consultant, nursing staff and care assistants were all excellent both on the ward and in the follow up clinic
I cannot thank them enough for the first class treatment and nursing care, you deserve to be recognized.Thank you !!

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 07 February 2017

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Disappointed

After two operations disappointedly I still have the same problem. As a result of the surgery I now have a very dry eye and slight ptosis.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 02 September 2017

Julie Kelly gave Ophthalmology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

World Class NHS Hull Eye Hospital

My husband was diagnosed with a detached retina and had emergency surgery at Hull Eye Hospital. The care was World Class. There was an outstanding sense of teamwork and commitment. The ward was spotlessly clean, all staff were warm, extremely sympathetic and friendly as well as showing undoubted competence and expertise. Everyone involved was giving 110% all the time to ensure patients received the best care imaginable. Thank God for the NHS - and anyone with any reservations about the quality of care should visit Hull Eye Hospital! Thank you to you all - words cannot express our gratitude.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 17 October 2016

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 3 stars

My name is ****

Having been referred urgently to the Opthalmic ward 35 I was extremely impressed by the efficiency and systems which enable me to be seen within a hour of leaving my GP. However, what was far less impressive was the way I was treated on arrival in reception at ward 35. On walking into the reception I was subjected to a sour faced nurse who didn't give me the grace of raising their head and therefore I made my way to the HCA sat behind them. The nurse then rudely showed their annoyance that I had approached a mere HCA and not the nurse. Twenty minutes later the same nurse was running for the door to greet whoever had been buzzed in, I thought the CQC had made an unannounced visit, such was their speed and change of demeanour "hello my name is ****" I heard the nurse say thinking obviously they are more important than me, I didn't even get the courtesy of a raised head. I then noticed it was the Chief Exec who has entered the ward. The nurse needs to be reminded that it is the taxpayer who pays their salary not the chief executive.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 19 June 2016

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 22 June 2016

Thank you for placing your posting on the NHS Choices website. We are sorry to read of your recent experience in the Eye Hospital. We will ensure your comments are shared with the Ophthalmology department.

In order to address the concerns you have raised, we would like to invite you to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) on (01482) 623065 or email pals@hey.nhs.uk. They will be able to take further details and advise accordingly.

aldens gave Ophthalmology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 4 stars

Outpatients - eye hospital

Been highly satisfied by previous treatment for cataracts. Referred this time 3 months previously by letter from optician. When called in for initial check, eye drops, couldn't get name right. Waited approx a further hour to be seen by doctor and greeted by a question as to why I was there. Examination was done in silence, apart from directions to look, with no comment other than to state a referral would be made to the cornea clinic with no description of the problem or possible prognosis and no invitation to ask questions.
Does this mean another 3 months to wait?

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 21 June 2016

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 22 June 2016

Thank you for placing your posting on the NHS Choices website. We are sorry to read of your recent experience in the Eye Hospital. We will ensure your comments are shared with the Ophthalmology Department.