Hull Royal Infirmary

01482 875875 Anlaby Road , Hull, HU3 2JZ

303 total | 13 found in Maternity services Show all reviews

Mel gave Maternity services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 2 stars

Horrific, traumatic

My daughter had the balloon because of the risks involving high blood pressure! This failed to work at opening the cervix. They then inserted a pessary for 24 hour this failed to work she then had to have 2 tablets 6 hours apart but they failed to work !! She was asked to have the process again starting with the pessary and the 2 tablets with promises of going onto the list for a c section. These failed to work no c section was offered. They tried to break her waters? With legs in stirrups but this wasn't possible. They made her go nil by mouth from midnight with the c section in mind. In the morning the consultant attended and said she was 1cm dilated and they were going to try to break her waters on labour ward she was 3rd in the queue to go up but later that day she was told she was now 5th in the queue. Opals were contacted and attended the maple ward and my daughter asked to see her consultant who was suppose to see her at 6 o'clock but failed to turn up. She has to be nil by mouth again to be examined in the morning if not a c section!! Maybe this will take place because it is the 3td time it as been mention. 18 examinations and still no baby, they did at one point say she wasn't at risk, if she wasn't why try to induce labour in the first place!! A diabolical joke animals are treated better!!!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 31 May 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 31 July 2017

Thank you for placing your posting on the NHS Choices website. We are sorry to read of your recent experience in The Maple Ward. We will ensure your comments are shared with the (insert department name) team.

In order to address the concerns you have raised, we would like to invite you to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) who will be able to take further details and advise accordingly. The PALS service can be contacted on:

• Online: https://www.hey.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/feedback/

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your views on local NHS services.

laura gave Maternity services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 4 stars

labour ward

A huge thankyou to all the midwifes at hull royal infirmary. I went into labour and had to give birth alone as my partner was watching our other child and we didn't have anyone else to watch him. The midwifes never left me alone and supported me every step of the way. They were so kind and friendly. Cant thank them enough.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 27 May 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 12 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Midwives.

If you need to discuss our services further, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) and they can be contacted on:

Webb family gave Maternity services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care. Great communication throughout.

Throughout the birth of our little boy staff were friendly, professional and brilliant.

Not all went to plan, blood pressure went up, baby's heart rate dropped, and an unplanned c-section was required. The speed (and calmness) with which this all took place was stunning. Staff in the operating theatre put us all at ease throughout the birth which went exactly to plan and left no major scars or even any serious pain in the days afterwards.
Staff communicated what was going on really well with us at all stages. Any concerns we had were almost immediately dealt with by doctors on Rowan Ward. They also seemed to communicate really well with each other.
Midwife care after the birth has also been brilliant. They've happily made extra home visits to keep things on track. These visits feel very helpful and un-rushed which makes a massive difference.
Compared to the birth of our first child (in London) the care we received this time was far superior.
Well done!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 25 March 2017

Women and children's.

Had my baby girl here last month. Very impressed with the whole process from start to finish. Midwife's were excellent. Everyone on the ward was helpful. Felt like I was in great hands. Thank you.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 18 April 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 20 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Midwifery Team

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Fantastic experiance

I gave birth to my beautiful boy in February, with it being my first I was frightened of what to expect. HRI staff were reassuring and helpful and it's made me want to go through the whole experience again! ( not anytime this year)

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 27 April 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 26 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Labour ward.

Great care

I had emergency cesarean here in November. The care I received was great. Initially I was frustrated as left in the day unit without any gas / air etc but once the labour ward accepted me things were dealt with promptly. Throughout labour and the attempted forceps delivery and finally the cesarean I was kept well informed of what was going on. Even in theatre I understood what was going on and what everyone's role was. The care after was good. I was then moved to rowan ward where I stayed for 2 nights. I received great care and advice there too. My only complaint was that on my final night they wanted me to stay in for support with breastfeeding, unfortunately the ward got really busy that night and I didn't receive the support I thought I was staying in for. I feel this was purely down to how busy it was and staffing levels. Not a reflection on the hard work and good care the mid wives and nurses provided the rest of the time. Considering I was dreading staying in hospital on my own before the birth, I actually mostly enjoyed my stay on rowan and reflect fondly on that time (other than the last night). Very helpful advice was given to me which I have drawn on a number of times since. Well done and thank you to all involved in the safe arrival of my son and in my care post birth

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 23 November 2016

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Antenatal care

I have had a few appointments throughout my pregnancy and never seen the same person twice. I have history of troubled pregnancies and lost my first son due to no one listening to my concerns. Each time I have visited with this pregnancy instead of reading my notes I have been asked how many pregnancies iv had and how I delivered. When I tell them I delivered my son naturally at 24 weeks I always get asked how he's doing! It clearly states in my notes he is dead. How many more times must I leave the hospital in tears. My faith in this hospital is currently non existent.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 19 September 2016

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Not the best start

We visited Hull Women's and children's hospital in August 2016 for my 40 week growth scan. We found that my son had leaped up in growth so we were advised by the sonography to go down to ADU and get checked out. We were met by one of the midwives and took into a room where I was talked at and berated into having a stretch and sweep. I tried to explain that I did not want to be induced unless it was medically necessary. It fell on deaf ears, so I agreed to the stretch and sweep and my cervix was closed so they couldn't do it. I was then told that they needed to induce me. Again I was never given an explanation why. We eventually spoke to a lovely registrar and we decided that I would prefer to have an elective c section if my baby was going to be that big that it created a risk to both our lives. The registrar respected my decision and went to speak to a consultant. The midwife came back into the room and shouted with the door open that "having a big baby isn't an excuse for having a c section" myself and my husband felt that we could not get an impartial opinion from them. So he went to another dept to get some info on c sections. The midwife then humiliated my husband in front of dozens of people. They then came back and shouted at me saying "there was no need for that" and also commented on how the registrar hadn't been there long so didn't know how things work. That was it. We were done with this person. They then came over at the end of their shift and tried to befriend us. My husband trying to keep the peace then put his hand out to shake their hand and they turned their back on him and left. The ADU was busy that day so we had to wait a while to see an consultant but it wasn't a problem. We were taken into a room and with car key in hand they quickly told me they weren't doing a c section all because they wanted to get home. I then saw another midwife and I explained to them that I wasn't happy with the consultant but I respected the opinion and wanted to see another consultant. We left feeling completely let down and upset that a midwife would treat a heavily pregnant woman this way but also try to discredit a registrar. To be honest I felt like the midwife was trying to bully me into doing what they wanted despite the considerable risks to me and my baby. We saw another consultant a day or so later and they agreed completely that a c section was the way to go due to the risks and an appointment was made for my section. My baby was delivered by c section a few days later and is completely healthy. A pregnant woman should not be made to feel bullied or like she has failed before she started and my husband did not deserve to be humiliated and embarrassed as he was. We spoke to a midwife supervisor about the issues we had and they helped us alot. The surgical team were excellent and considerate and also created a very calming environment. The staff on the maple ward were excellent!! Could not praise them enough! They were very helpful to our new family.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 01 November 2016

Hull Royal Infirmary has not yet replied.

Hannah O'Connell gave Maternity services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Huge thanks to all at HRI Women and Childrens Hospital

I would like to say a huge thank you to all at the Womens and Children hospital who supported me and my partner during the birth of our daughter, as well as the staff who helped me through the first night on the post natal ward. My daughter was born on 9th August in the afternoon and I was in room 13 on the Labour ward (very lucky for me). I had the wonderful midwife looking after me throughout the birth, and I have to say I couldn't have asked for a more supportive midwife. The midwife communicated everything very clearly to us before doing it, remained calm and encouraging throughout and fortunately for us was able to give us a lot of their time. I was very lucky to have a good labour and birth and can without doubt say it was because of their support and expertise- I think it would have been a very scary experience otherwise. They are a credit to your team. The whole team seemed to work very well together and I know with such a demanding job it can be difficult to do this. My care after our daughter was born was great, we were able to take some time to process it all and spend precious time as a family whilst paperwork and checks on baby were done. On to the post natal care, I spent my first night (9/10th August) on the Beech ward. All midwives, midwife assistants and domestic staff were amazing particularly when supporting me trying to breastfeed. I called for help often through the night due to being so nervous and inexperienced, and every time a member of the team came and gave me as much time as I needed. Sadly I found breastfeeding very difficult and the following day on the 10th August after my daughter hadn't fed for 7 hours we made the decision to bottle feed her. This is something I was comfortable with but did worry about what the midwife would say. I spoke to a student midwife about this and they were incredibly informative and supportive. They told me the pros/cons of breast and bottle feeding without being judgemental and relayed any worries I had about being a "failure" for not breastfeeding. I really valued this and cannot thank them enough. Thank you again to all staff - what a wonderful experience you made the birth of my daughter. Please please ensure this is passed on to all. Many thanks, Hannah O'Connell.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 22 August 2016

Matt Johns gave Maternity services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Hull's midwives are amazing!

We had planned a homebirth and labour progressed well up to a point. Throughout the whole labour at home the midwives who came and went were all fabulous. They respected our birth plan and always presented us with options leaving us totally in control of major decisions - even transferring to hospital in an ambulance when it came to that.

At hospital when it came time to deliver coached pushing was required and the two midwives attending were really great and did a fabulous job and helping my wife and son through a difficult birth. Our birth plan was still respected at this point too. The consultant, the anesthetist and the surgeon who looked after my wife afterwards were also really professional and had a really good bedside manner.

My son needed a little care after delivery but was brought back to my wife as soon as humanly possible, and we were all left together to recover in peace for ages with very discreet but dutiful checking in by the midwife.

In terms of aftercare, the midwives who have helped my wife and son breastfeed have also been totally brilliant. Overall I can't speak highly enough of Hull's midwives, both the one's on call who attended at home and the ones on duty in Hull Royal - I honestly don't think we could have received better medical care. Thanks to all Hull Royal and the homebirthing midwives for top rate professionalism and care.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 28 March 2016

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 30 March 2016

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Midwifery team.

If you need to discuss our services further, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) on (01482) 623065 or email pals@hey.nhs.uk.