Hull Royal Infirmary

01482 875875 Anlaby Road , Hull, HU3 2JZ

PWR gave Accident and emergency services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

fantastic & thourough care

I attended following a dog bite that penetrated the nail of my forefinger. The very nice triage nurse saw me within about 15 minutes of me being there.
They cleaned my hand and noted the only injury was the fingernail/fingertip. There was a lot of blood so no one was sure up until then. The nurse offered me painkillers that I did refuse at the time.
20 minutes later when the shock of the injury had worn off a bit and the pain kicked in, I approached the nurses station to ask them if I could change my mind about the painkillers. The nurses were more than happy to give me painkillers and I had some within one minute of asking.
My care was then handed over to the Nurse Practitioner who was very thorough in their examination. They sent me for a x ray to make sure my finger end wasn't broken. The nurse gave me antibiotics and a tetanus injection. They then referred me to the plastics clinic who specialise in that kind of injury.
Overall I was very impressed with my experience and think all of the staff on shift the day, especially the nurse practitioner are a credit to the Trust.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 29 July 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 11 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Emergency department.

If you need to discuss our services further, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) and they can be contacted on:

• Online: https://www.hey.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/feedback/

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your views on local NHS services.

PWR gave Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Plastics Clinic

I attended Plastics clinic following dog bite injury to fingernail/finger end.
I was taken from the main reception area into the clinic itself, very quickly (about 5 mins). The nurse took my A&E dressing down immediately, cleaned the wound & then the doctor arrived to review the wound.
They said I would need the nail removing, the nail bed repairing and that there could be quite a wait, but that it would be that morning. They got me to sign a consent form & said I would need to wait.
An auxilliary arrived who took some personal details & then asked me to go back to the waiting room.
Expecting a long wait, I decided I would nip to the toilet & I barely had time to get back to my chair when I was called in to the Plastics theatre.
The nurse gave me a nameband & got me onto the trolley.They then distracted me with conversation while the doctor stuck needles in me & removed my fingernail.
Dressing was applied, paperwork completed & I was on my way in no time.
The nursing/medical & reception staff were very friendly, very efficient and I think they are a definite credit to the plastics clinic & HEY Trust

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 29 July 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 11 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Plastics department.

Anonymous gave Stroke services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 4 stars

Stroke unit team doing a great job

I went through a & e on Saturday afternoon middle aged women with changes to the right side of face and vision and terrified. Apart from the self checking in a & e and the hard incompassionate receptionist I have to say this stroke team were amazing. From the triage a and e to the stroke nurse practitioner the ward day staff and on on duty consultant team I can say every team member did their job to perfection. Their manner was friendly professional they knew their subject even though my diagnosis took a different route the neurologist quickly identified the issue ordered the tests referred and I am awaiting ophthalmic s admission. The neurologist explanations were clear, at my level and treated me like a human being and the MRI staff dealing with someone very scared were so polite and reassuring. I have lived here for nearly 30 years never been admitted before and all I can say is thank you

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 31 July 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 11 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Stoke team.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Gynae outpatients and cedar ward

I was referred on a 2 week pathway i can not fault the process, i received a phone call the day after my GP referred me with an appointment, this was followed up with full written information about the clinic i would be attending and the investigations i may have to have..

Attended on the day i had a scan and saw the consultant within 2 hours, i needed a further investigative procedure. All the staff involved were really informative and careing ,they put me at ease and supported me through a quite painful procedure. I really did feel cared for.
The clinic was spotless and all the staff i spoke to were really polite and helpful.

Had to attend Cedar ward a week later as a day case, can not fault the care from the ward and theatre staff. All really polite ,kept me informed about what was going to happen.

On return from theatre obs were done immediately and i was kept pain free at all times.
Seen by the consultant post op. Discharged home when i was ready to go with full written and verbal instructions for my continuing care at home.

Thankyou so much to all the staff that cared for me

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 19 July 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 21 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the departments.

Anonymous gave Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Extremely helpful and professional staff

I attended today to see a Consultant. The nurses were brilliant. The Consultant handled my case extremely well and demonstrated a passion for their position and that they care about what actually happens to me (even if i think i know best).

Excellent support and advice.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 21 July 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 25 July 2017

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.

Richard L gave Accident and emergency services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 2 stars

A&E attendance

Attended A&E in the early hours of Wednesday 19 July on foot rather than blue light when I last attended with the same condition 2 years ago.

Observations
1) Signage poor with no obvious signs to A&E from front door
2) lights out nobody at front reception
3) followed 'red circles' which I recalled from a previous visit and found a nurse who guided me to 'minors'
4) receptionist guided me to 'self check-in' which I completed though the options did not reflect the severity of my condition.
5) I advised the receptionist of the key factors and was advised they would 'record them'
6) after over 90 minutes my wife raised my condition again and the receptionist response was to 'go and speak to a nurse'.
7) after this action I was taken straight through to Minors, then majors, then AAU then Cardiology.

Main issues
* lack of any obvious signage/directions
* lack of a effective triage system for assessing on arrival
* receptionists lack of interest/training/understanding and willingness to liaise directly with the nurses on duty.

Once seen by the first of several clinicians the service was good, the issue being over the arrival issues prior to that happening.

Should this condition happen again, I will again use a 999 blue light to go straight to Majors - this shouldn't be necessary if the front of house system and staff were fit for purpose.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 28 July 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 31 July 2017

Thank you for placing your posting on the NHS Choices website. We are sorry to read of your recent experience in Accident and Emergency department. We will ensure your comments are shared with the (insert department name) team.

In order to address the concerns you have raised, we would like to invite you to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) who will be able to take further details and advise accordingly. The PALS service can be contacted on:

Alan Preston gave Vascular services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Staff/patient Support

I would like to thank all the staff involved in my procedure for their helpfulness, caring attitude and the professionalism shown in the theatre. I was kept informed of every aspect of the procedure prior to and during , which I found very reassuring and could not have wished for a better team to look after me. Thank you

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 28 June 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 17 July 2017

Nicola gave Vascular surgery at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Ward 4 & 40

I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone on wards 4 & 40 for looking after me following my operation recently. You are all amazing, I was very nervous prior to my surgery but thanks to you all, you made me feel at ease every step of the way.
Thank you to everyone, you helped my speedy recovery.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 10 July 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 12 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with ward 4 and 40.

Hels gave Respiratory Medicine at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Mother's recent stay.

My elderly mother recently had a long stay on Ward 5, mostly on the HD ward. I can't fault the staff, from the cleaners to the consultants, but especially the wonderful nurses, they all worked tirelessly to help her and the other patients. I hope we never have to come back, but if we do i know they will do their best.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 13 July 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 14 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with ward 5.

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

cataract op

After only waiting for about 4 weeks I was given an appointment on the 6th June for a pre assessment. Although very full, the 2 clinics ran efficiently and smoothly. I was surprised that the date of my cataract operation was only 2 days away. This was not a cancellation since a few of the previous patients were also given this date. Again, everything ran like clockwork and I cannot praise all the staff enough for their care and professionalism. Thankyou to all concerned.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 12 June 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 17 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Ophthalmology department.