Hull Royal Infirmary

01482 875875 Anlaby Road , Hull, HU3 2JZ

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 3 stars

Some good people, some absolutely useless

Had a very traumatic labour and birth with first child, after care was terrible. Was discharged early, then admitted with a wound infection but separated from my newborn whom I was breastfeeding.
Currently pregnant, had a scan cancelled without my knowledge. Turned up to find it was cancelled, luckily a good receptionist in the antenatal clinic sorted it out and organised a new date, the person in the ultrasound dept just looked at me like it was normal practise to not inform patients. To cap it all, as this was happening, I watched an assistant midwife shuffle past the waiting area, scratching their behind as they went - nice. Not feeling much trust in this, especially after what happened in my first pregnancy and birth. It's a shame as I have seen some remarkable staff, unfortunately there are so many incompetent ones who avoid responsibility and let it all down.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 15 December 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding A & E service

I had to go to HRI today after causing myself a small injury to my hand. I was treated within five minutes of registering, so very, very impressed with the service. Maybe I was lucky in my timing but still, my gratitude is still worth a mention.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 16 December 2017

Anonymous gave Neurology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Bad service

Dr shouted at me "Just answer the questions" Which I was doing. Said they knew nothing about my illness.I was in tears. Unprofessional.Then reverted another persona and shook my hand and said "Nice to meet you". Unpleasant experience.

Hull Royal Infirmary has not yet replied.

Elaine Durant gave Accident and emergency services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Visit early hours Dec 14th

Advised to go to
A and e by nhs 111 service
I left in a much more hopeful frame than that in which I had arrived.

Tests were done very promptly.
The doctor I saw took a very thorough history,and I am confident that the advice and prescription they gave will give me the best chance of getting over my current difficulty.

When my relative in a distant part of the country rang to try and find what was happening,sister kindly checked and reminded me to ring them back when leaving,saving them many hours on the motorway.

The department was in the clean tidy state they were able to achieve when not totally overloaded.

Hull Royal Infirmary has not yet replied.

fearnley gave Accident and emergency services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Thank you to the ambulance service for a speedy response and ambulance crew where amazing ensuing my dad was kept at ease during the transfer to the hospital and the hospital staff where incredibly efficient and helpful making a bad situation much more manageable from start to finish couldn't of asked for a better service thank you keep to great work

Hull Royal Infirmary has not yet replied.

Outstanding help and care in A&E

For twenty years or more I have used catheters. Therefore I know that when I leave home for the day or a holiday I need to take them with me. I live in London and came to Hull on the 20th December on the train and realised that for the first time in twenty years I had forgotten to bring them with me. That is a desperate situation for someone with my condition. I could only think of going to the Hull Royal and asking for help.

The lady on reception was very sensitive and suggested that I go to A&E. The receptionist on A&E was equally sensitive - though by now I was starting to laugh at my stupidity - and she bantered with me about what I had done! The banter was relaxing and she assured me that someone could help.

Within minutes I was inside the doctors' and nurses' area of A&E so that I did not have to explain my situation within the hearing of the public. The doctor was very thoughtful and assured me that the matter would be resolved. I had only five or six minutes to sit and wait and a nurse called me back into that area (by my first name which was wonderful and made me feel not quite such a fool!) and showed me several different catheters giving me a choice and the ability to take as many as I needed. (|I took two which would see me through the day.)

Everybody was helpful and cheerful and made light of my 'self inflicted' difficulties.

I cannot praise the staff highly enough - from receptionists to nurses and doctors.

It was the NHS at it's very best - if I ever fall really ill I hope that I am within distance of Hull Royal Infirmary!

Please pass on my thanks and Season's greeting to everyone in A&E.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 22 December 2017

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Very good

After cutting off thumb tip went to ae checked in and was Seen within 30 minutes . Had x ray within 20 minutes and then back in with nurse to bandage up with a appointment to go back next day for surgery. Went back next day very busy waited 5 hours then told had to go back tommorrow as to busy I spoke to the consultant and explained what would happen . Went back following morning and within 2 hrs was all done . The plastic surgeon lady was fantastic and all the team brilliant big thank you to these people . I still haven't seen my thumb but has leaked blood every day through pressure dressing I think this normal I hope . I'm back at castle hill tommorrow and it's been 6 days so hopefully gone ok . The surgeon's and nurse's that work here are amazing and if it wasn't for them it's not worth thinking about what it would be like these work and have so much pressure and always give 100 percent .

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 26 December 2017

Anonymous gave Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Dirty Hospital with poor communication

Ward 90, patient left in a chair and aloud to fall a number of times really injuring his head. No one told the family when visiting! We found out ourselves from reading the patients notes.One diagnoses after another, family just left completely confused. Poor communication on staff handovers.
Outbreak of sickness bug on the ward. No wonder when you have patients soiling themselves. The smell was unbearable in the heat on the ward. Get some windows open!

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 27 December 2017

Michelle gave Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Abysmal horrible place - unfortunately I live in hull.

I Suffer MS, had a neurologist who just wouldn't treat me, asked my symptoms and then to my face said no... That's not usual and literally wrote the ones she 'thought' I should exhibit. Its MS, it is never 'usual'. After years I wrote to Pals and was finally allowed to change... Yes allowed, when I first started asking I got a no and was forced to see her again.

Was never referred to MS nurse, found one myself and was then ignored for months until I finally requested an appointment since I'd been having a lot of problems, went to the appointment, and go figure, she forgot me. And then made out like I was inappropriate for asking for a complaints form. Needless to say between the nurse and my neurologist I went untreated for far too long.

Since I wrote to pals I changed to a new neuros, and just received a letter saying I have an appointment with my old one, rang the hospital since I point blank refuse to see her, I actually hate her with a passion that's inhuman, to receive a whoops our mistake just an oversight.

Daughters been seeing the eye clinic for 3 years because her eyes just stopped working properly one day,, they have done nothing for her, I mean literally for 2 years didn't even try a thing, then I mentioned my MS which they already new about so they did a brain scan, nobody looked at the brain scan for 11 months, luckily there was nothing there because 11 months could be critical for some people. Finally after 3 years and making it half way through secondary school not being able to read properly because they told her not to wear the glasses the optician made her that actually helped her see, they said well we"be tried everything, it looks like she's learnt to manage. Hmmmm, you haven't tried anything, like at all. I pointed this out and said she could just wear her glasses again and they decided to try this one last thing in the long list of things they haven't tried they gave me some drops for her to use for 1 week which help her eyes refocus and this would be followed by an appointment.... Well, went to get the prescription, can't get that because the doctor wrote the wrong name on the prescription, he ommitted her surname... Good job really considering we have not received an appointment for the after check. I'll expect it in about a year.

I actually hate this place, I'm not saying I haven't had a few good experiences. . well one, my new neuro treated my ms.... That's it!! If I had to go into hospital I'd drive to anywhere else in the world, that's never a pleasant experience since no one actually seems to care. Poor and rude nursing staff.

How can one place make so many mistakes with 1 adult and child, its actually terrifying. Also patient confidentiality sucks, I've been told things and overheard things about patients there.

There really are no sufficient words.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 29 December 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary has not yet replied.

Airida Pazniokaite gave Accident and emergency services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

In hospital you will never get a help

Like as always if you feeling unhealthy it's better to choose stay at home in bed and treat yourself , than go to hospital and ask for help... Few days I felt a big pain all over my body I knew that the hospital is not an answer for feeling better so I decided to stay in warm bed, but the pain get more worse and now it's started chest pain as well, My breathing become very hard and I can't do it deeply . Than I decided to go for emergency, they been checking me and after 3 hours they send me home without any help or medication, just told me to drink more water and take rest . Because all results it's good so they don't know how to treat me , while they was taking some samples from me I asked them a help to lay down and they say sorry it's health & safety not let us to give a hand for patients cause you can hurt us .... I never see that much stupid hospital politic like in UK , how many people I know if they was having any problems with health doesn't matter which city , in emergencies or operations they never treat professional and never complete illness . POINTLESS !!!!!

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 30 December 2017