Hull Royal Infirmary

01482 875875 Anlaby Road , Hull, HU3 2JZ

Anonymous gave Neurology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Saw nurse at the clinic not happy very abrupt.

Appalled at the way a nurse spoke to my daughter at the epilepsy clinic .who they told in a very abrupt manner that she had epilepsy, even after i said i think its a lot to take in the nurse still continued to be abrupt and focus on worst case scenario even when it was plain to see my daughter's eyes were very red but Halle managed to stop herself crying until we left the clinic.Really unhappy with the treatment its huge shock for anyone to told they have epilepsy.I was brought with my dad who had this not nice to be spoke to that way !!!

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 30 September 2017

Jodie gave Gynaecology at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Waiting for results 7 weeks!!!!!!

Went to have abnormal cells removed and a biopsy been seven weeks of worrying!!!!!! I phone hospital a week ago they said they had the results would send them out as couldn't tell me over the phone still not recived nothing good or bad news I think it's wrong how long u leave us worrying it's a joke

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 06 October 2017

mike b gave Orthopaedics at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Hip replacement

Not given facts about surgery and very little information, please look at nhs website before your appointment, how can you ask a question if you don’t know what to ask.
Why can’t hospital give out fact sheet about the operation at first consultation,

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 09 October 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary has not yet replied.

Gail gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Big thank you

Arrived at ward 120 7th august 2017, to have a Arthrocentesis on my jaw joint due to TMJD, . Would like to give a big thank you to the auxiliary nurses who looked after me, the nurse who let me home, the anaesthetist who was brilliant; The staff from recovery who walked me down for my op and for seeing to me afterwards. The registrar and the consultant. And of course the other 3 patients in the room.
To say i was nervous wasn't the word but the Staff where brilliant and so friendly thank you all so much for the care you gave me will never be nervous about going in again.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 11 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with ward 120.

If you need to discuss our services further, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) and they can be contacted on:

• Telephone: (01482) 623065
• Email: pals@hey.nhs.uk
• Online: https://www.hey.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/feedback/

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your views on local NHS services.

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.

Andy Roughley gave Accident and emergency services at Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Admitted to emergency department with shoulder pain

I would just like to say what a first class service I was provided by all members of the A & E department at hull royal on the 9th Aug. As a member of the armed forces I have little cause to use the NHS so having read a lot of negative press was unsure what too expect. I was absolutely amazed with the high quality, professional,efficient and compassionate treatment I received , every decision was explained and discussed with me,every member of staff from consultants, junior doctors , nurses and auxiliary nurses could not do enough to get to the bottom of my problem and assist in anyway. I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone working in A & E.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 10 August 2017

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 11 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the emergency department.

• Telephone: (01482) 623065
• Email: pals@hey.nhs.uk
• Online: https://www.hey.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/feedback/

Anonymous reviewed Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Hull Royal Infirmary

still waiting

after over a year ago and told to wait 8 months after treatment by my dentist .I have been referred back to this department at my own request as my dentist had left and now have a new dentist who was unaware of my previous refferal to the maxilofacial department.Anyhoo it is nearly 3 months and still nothing about any appointment.I have phoned twice and in the 2nd phone call was told to visit in person and maybe the person on reception might be able to help.Popped in 2 weeks ago and wasted my time even bothering going as the person's answers were the same as the people on the phone.No doubt if and when I ever get an appointment it will be even more months away .Why is it so obsfucated to get an appointment ?

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 16 August 2017

jennyt reviewed Hull Royal Infirmary

Hysteroscopy

I was referred to the Women and Children's Hospital for a hysteroscopy recently after experiencing post menopausal bleeding and wasn't too worried as I have given birth to 5 babies without pain relief and I consider myself quite able to withstand moderate pain. How wrong I was! !
This was by far the worst procedure I have had to endure. It was performed by a trainee doctor guided by the consultant, so I wonder if this was why it was so painful. It seemed to go on for a long time and afterwards I was shaken, faint and nauseous. I was given some pain relief and was able to drive home after about 1 hour.
This procedure should not be done as an outpatient, it is barbaric and has left me feeling violated and fearful of future procedures.
The nurses were wonderful and caring and did their best to help, but the consultant did not inform me that a trainee would perform the procedure or ask my permission.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 24 August 2017 using Care Opinion

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at Hull Royal Infirmary

Still waiting! ??

I had a fall on the 12 august straight onto the front of my head & nose, went to Beverley Hospital on the Monday for x-ray, they sent the results to Hull & said a junior had had a look & couldn't see anything. But will be in contact me very soon. Which I had a phone call from hull saying someone will get in touch with me for. Follow up appointment, as it was classed as a head injury, in a week. Still to this day I am waiting to hear from someone whether letter or phone call. My nose creeks & hurts like it's been hit & my eye brow bone is lumpy & hurts. To too it off I've had headache everyday since.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 28 August 2017

Anonymous gave Hull Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Complete lack of communication

My Mother in Law was admitted after a fall. After a 6 hour wait in A&E she was eventually seen by a doctor and 24 hours after getting to hospital she was admitted go ward 80. I appreciate the cuts have led to a lack of beds, but her treatment in the Medical Assessment Unit was well below what I would have expected. My Mother in Law was distressed and confused, but largely ignored by the staff. When we asked for explanation of what was happening from the doctor we were ignored. The staff nurse offered sympathy but little support.
On admission to the ward, we were given little information about what was happening. The diagnosis of bladder infection (Sepsis) was treated by an antibiotic drip but it was difficult to find or speak to a doctor to get an explanation. The nurses were very attentive but never seemed to have a complete picture of what was going on.
My Mother in Law has suffered from a bad back for a number of years (after a fall) and this was explained to the doctors and nurses. She had 2 further falls while in the hospital leading to further damage to her back. Once I can maybe understand, but twice is inexcusable.
My wife and I visited every day and frequently had to ask the nurses for additional pain killers , but the doctor seemed unaware of this. We heard from another relative who had phoned in that my Mother in Law was going to have a 'cement injection in her back', so we enquired about this on our next visit. We were informed that this was an oupatient procedure but she would be kept in until the following Tuesday or Thursday when the procedure would be carried out.
None of this was discussed with my Mother in Law and it was left to us to research verteboplasty, obtain patient information from another hospitals web site so we could tell our Mother in Law. When trying to talk to one staff nurse about what was happening the nurse said 'I wish I knew'. We left a booklet with my mother in Law which was on her bedside tray only for her to then be told it wasn't going to happen after all.
While my Mother in Law was in the ward, she picked up that they had recorded she had type 1 diabetes. We had not known this and asked the locum. The doctor found the comment in my Mother in Laws file and said they would find out more. This was taken by ourselves as the reason my Mother in Law had a series of blood tests. When we managed to pin down a doctor to ask about the verteboplasty they explained that the specialist did not think it would be of benefit. The doctor mentioned that we could expect an appointment with a blood specialist, but in fact the letter had already arrived. Again we assumed this was something to do with the diabetes. When asked how my Mother in Law was expected to manage with the pain in her back, they seemed surprised but said it could be managed in another way.
Limit reached but the saga coninued.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 27 August 2017

Annoyed1980 reviewed Hull Royal Infirmary

I had an operation on my elbow. I received a call from the therapy centre at...

I had an operation on my elbow. I received a call from the therapy centre at HRI and told I needed to see them. They made the appointment.
I arrive at HRI and wait in the waiting room. 9 am comes and goes. Nearly 35minutes later I get called into to see the therapist who after reviewing my notes confirms I'm here about my shoulder! I correct them saying "no, I had my elbow operated on, not my shoulder". This appeared to confuse them. Then they tell me that there's no point in me being here as my post op notes say to wait 11 days following my operation to begin therapy. I wasted fuel on a 20mile round trip, parking expenses at the HRI, sat for nearly 45 minutes....all to have the incorrect health notes presented and told to return the next week! To suggest I'm a little annoyed is an understatement. I my time, my wife's who had to take the time to drive me, the expenses incurred in such a trip and all for nothing!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 03 August 2017 using Care Opinion

Hull Royal Infirmary replied on 11 August 2017

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are very sorry to hear that your experience of the Physiotherapy service was not as good as we would have wanted it to be. We take all patient feedback seriously and endeavour to improve our systems based on the comments that we receive.

Occasionally inaccuracies occur in the referrals that we receive due to the volume of patients that are seen in the orthopaedic clinics. We are working hard with the patient administration department and the Orthopaedic consultants to improve the referral process.

In order to address the concerns you have raised, we would like to invite you to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) who will be able to take further details and advise accordingly. The PALS service can be contacted on:

o Telephone: (01482) 623065