The Royal Liverpool University Hospital

0151 706 2000 Prescot Street , Liverpool, Merseyside, L7 8XP

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at The Royal Liverpool University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent clinics and day ward

I have been a patient at this hospital for over 10 years after being transferred once becoming an adult from Alder Hey.

I have received nothing but 5* treatment from the consultants and the junior doctors, I have also visited their a&e numerous times and been seen and treated (emergency laser) within 2 hours.

The staff here are amazing, yes you might have to wait around in clinics for a while but that’s expected when he NHS is understrain and there are patients like me who have complicated issues, there may also be issues that crop up I don’t think this should go against St Pauls at all.

I feel lucky to have access to such amazing staff and facilities. Thank you very much

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 06 September 2018

The Royal Liverpool University Hospital replied on 10 September 2018

Thank you for your kind comments about our staff. We are really pleased that you had a good experience and will pass on your comments to our staff. :)

Jane gave The Royal Liverpool University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Left hi and dry

My elderly aunt has been admitted for a broken hip. She was told she also has lesions and then riddled with cancer. She refused the op because she was scared. Nobody seems to be singing from the same hymm sheet and feel there is no communication from anyone in the hospital. She has not drank for days and not drip to hydraye her. I feel for the staff as they are left running round and not being able to take time with the patient's. The staffing is near none existent and that is not a dig at the one that are there as they do their best. I am at a loss to find anyone to get answers as to why one minute she doesnt have cancer and the next she is riddled. Regards frustrated

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 15 September 2018

The Royal Liverpool University Hospital replied on 17 September 2018

Our apologies about your experience here at the Trust for you and your aunt. There should be some clear guidance by now as to the health of your aunt, if not please speak to the ward manager where she is. However if you'd like to put in a complaint about this, contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), they can investigate your concerns for you. You can contact them by phoning 0151 706 4903/4908/4909 or via PALS&complaints@rlbuht.nhs.uk and they will look right into this for you. We hope some further clarity is gained very soon.

Rob Allen gave Emergency Abdominal Surgery at The Royal Liverpool University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

2x feedback

I had my appendix out in the early hours of 27.9.18. It is the first time I've experienced hospital as a patient so I was apprehensive. At every step of the process the care was first class. Thank you. The staff were patient, compassionate, knowledgeable, professional and reassuring. You can really tell the staff that are in the job because they want to be and that they have a passion for it. Young and old, British or foreign, there was a nice blend. Well done and thanks again for making me better.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 28 September 2018

The Royal Liverpool University Hospital replied on 28 September 2018

Thanks for your feedback about your experience here, we really appreciate it. :)

Nosebleed reviewed The Royal Liverpool University Hospital

Terrible communication between services

Having just started uni in Liverpool I was new to the area when I became ill with several severe nosebleeds. After a few I rang 111 in a panic, who told me to get to the nearest walk in centre to get it cauterised. I did so, and was told by the triage nurse at the walk in, after 30 mins wait that it's likely they would send me to A&E but it was best to wait for the main nurses opinion. My nose had stopped bleeding by then. An hour later I saw the nurse who said nothing more than she would order me a taxi to A&E as they can't cauterise.
At a&e I waited an hour to be seen by a triage nurse who didn't even do blood pressure or pulse. They asked when the bleed had stopped and I said it was two hours ago. I was told I need to go home then. I tried explaining it was my 4th major (45 minute plus, multiple cups of blood lost) bleed of the day and I was feeling very unwell and dizzy and they had none of it and told me to return if it bled again.
Inevitably it did, I was back in a&e two hours later after being unable to control a new bleed. This time I got into the main waiting room, as they saw my nose bleeding. No offer of any help, clean up or extra tissues despite the mess. Wait was 2 hours however after the two hours was up they increased it to 5.5. By then my nose had stopped bleeding so I told a nurse the situation and she agreed I should leave as nothing would be done.
Since then I've returned to Shrewsbury for the weekend, had the same issue and the staff were wonderful. Despite a&e being busy they helped in wrapping my nose in gauze to help stop the bleeding and getting bloods done. Sadly again they weren't of too much help as the ENT clinic at Telford weren't up for taking me in, but everything apart from that was faultless.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 29 September 2018 using Care Opinion

The Royal Liverpool University Hospital replied on 08 October 2018

We’re sorry to hear you didn’t have the best experience here at the Trust…if you’d like to get in touch with our PALs team who deal with concerns and complaints, please do and they will look into this right away for you. You can get them on email via PALS&Complaints@rlbuht.nhs.uk or on the phone via this number: 0151 706 4903.

RugbyMatt reviewed The Royal Liverpool University Hospital

Ankle surgery

Many thanks to everyone at Royal Liverpool University Hospital A& E, fracture clinic, daycase surgery and theatres for everything you did following my injury. Special mention to Lauren in MRI who had to endure the smell of my feet

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 04 October 2018 using Care Opinion

The Royal Liverpool University Hospital replied on 08 October 2018

This is really great to hear, thanks so much for your review. :) Although we're sure your feet did not smell bad, if you'd like to nominate Lauren anyone for employee / team of the month, please do so here! https://www.rlbuht.nhs.uk/nominate

Danny83 gave General Surgery at The Royal Liverpool University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Im a drama queen an i know it

I was admitted with an infection in my elbow which had turned nasty - couldnt get an appointment with GP so left it.

I was admitted onto a ward an treated accordingly

Staff were fantastic, couldn't possibly have done any more for me, polite an courteous - even though I was a drama queen (over pain)

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 11 October 2018

The Royal Liverpool University Hospital replied on 19 October 2018

Anonymous gave Cancer Services at The Royal Liverpool University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Selfish Smokers

I have attended this hospital on many occasion over last 12 months with my husband who has been diagnosed with cancer.On EVERY occasion we have had to walk though a cloud of smoke from selfish patients and their visitors i find this appalling Have never seen these people approach by anyone. Security or others in authority instructing them to move away i have seen security walk passed them ! why are not these people asked to smoke elsewhere. WHY don`t this hospital care about their patients and put their health first not the idiots who can not read the No Smoking signs. why cant smoking shed be constructed far away from entrance for these people.
The treatment my Husband has received here has been Excellent my only complaint is the above.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 20 August 2018

The Royal Liverpool University Hospital replied on 03 September 2018

Our apologies about your experience here at the Trust. We always advise staff to advise those smoking to go past the no smoking line which is past the main entrance of the Royal, right in front of Prescot Street. Our apologies if you have seen security not doing this. If you would like to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), they can investigate your concerns for you. You can contact them by phoning 0151 706 4903/4908/4909 or via PALS&complaints@rlbuht.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave The Royal Liverpool University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Rude Nurse at St Paul's

My wife attended St Paul's and was spoken to and treated very rude by a nurse. Even though she can't see out of one eye the nurse told her it wasnt an emergency and she shouldn't have attended even though she was advised to by the NHS help line. The nurse told her she would have a 4 hour wait and spoke to get like a child.

My blood is boiling just writing this! She was then rude a second time and rolled her eyes at my wife so we decided not to wait and gain medical attention elsewhere. All
the nurse done was go in about it was a bank holiday and they were short staffed so she decided to take it out on her patients.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 27 August 2018

The Royal Liverpool University Hospital replied on 03 September 2018

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t have a good experience at St. Paul's. If you would like to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), they can investigate your concerns for you. You can contact them by phoning 0151 706 4903/4908/4909 or via PALS&complaints@rlbuht.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at The Royal Liverpool University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great professional care

Came into A&E with irregular heartbeat. Got triaged straight away and then waited for a couple of hours before seeing Nurse Practitioner. Although I was in the hospital for 10 hours I was always well looked after and I understood that if I felt more ill I would have been fast tracked. As it was, after blood tests, ECG and echo scan all was fine and everything was explained to me and I was given choices about what to do next. Excellent staff working in a very busy environment. Thank you.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 02 August 2018

The Royal Liverpool University Hospital replied on 06 August 2018

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff in our emergency department and beyond. We are really pleased that you had a good experience and will pass on your comments to our staff. :)

Josie murphy gave Accident and emergency services at The Royal Liverpool University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

No Empathy

on the 10/06/18 I attended the royal liverpool Hospital for a ct colon with contrast, after falling ill , during the procedure I was taken to A+E my blood pressure had dropped I felt as if my body was closing down, I was basically left in a cubicle unless having X-ray or tests, not able to control my body with continued vomiting and diarrhoea, at one pint my partner counted 8 vomit pots in cubicle along with 2 full commode pots, I was told they were waiting for a side room for me,,,,,,,,24 hours later I am still on A+E with once again a collection of pots again curtain drawn and forgot about I feel that there is no structure or commitment anymore it appears that all staff want to do is natter and have a laugh, wrong look after the patients that are in your care instead of breaking confidentiality, because 2 nurses or care assistants took great pleasure in mocking some patients, I think you would be better cared for in a dogs home, bring back the Matron to kick buts.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 14 July 2018

The Royal Liverpool University Hospital replied on 23 July 2018

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t have a good experience here at the Trust. If you would like to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), they can investigate your concerns for you. You can contact them by phoning 0151 706 4903/4908/4909 or via PALS&complaints@rlbuht.nhs.uk