Harefield Hospital

01895 823 737 Hill End Road , Harefield, Middlesex, UB9 6JH

IreneB reviewed Cardiology at Harefield Hospital

Can see why this is a centre of excellence

First ever visit for a coronary CT scan. Really impressed - from the first greeting by welcoming receptionist and the heart investigation that followed. Everyone at pains to put you at ease, to explain the process and make sure you understand. No rush or hurry, just very professional people doing a decent job.And at the end a great cup of tea in the refreshment pavilion run by Friends of the Harefield Hospital, instead of in some soulless and expensive costa coffee joint.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 19 August 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 24 August 2016

Dear Irene,
Thank you for telling us how impressed you were during your visit. We understand that coming into hospital for tests can feel overwhelming so our specialist teams ensure that they take the time to explain procedures so that patients are fully informed and can ask questions. The teams will be pleased to hear that you found their approach reassuring and friendly. It is also good to know that you appreciated the efforts of our dedicated volunteers in Harefield’s popular refreshment pavilion. Wishing you all the best for the future.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Inherited Cardiology Clinic

Please allow at least 3 hours wait at this clinic. The nurses who are very nice do not give any clue to the wait on this clinic, infact they stated that you need to allow all day to see a doctor. When we did see someone after 3 hours and we made a complaint, it was not the consultant. They suddenly found a registrar who you will never see again.

This is a lovely hospital but the waiting time for this clinic is unacceptable. The nurses seem to think that we have all day to spend at this clinic. There was some people waiting from 8.00 a,m, in the morning. Perhaps they knew that they would be there all day but we were not told.

This is a lovely hospital but there was no respect for patients lives other than you should expect to wait a very long time without any times being displayed. They do give you a bleeper so you can walk around the grounds and go for lunch. We did all that and the bleeper did not go off. We did not get to see a doctor until we made a complaint. Why are people waiting so long?

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 11 August 2017

Harefield Hospital replied on 17 October 2017

Thank you for your comments about the wait you experienced for your appointment. We're sorry to hear that you were unhappy with our service. If you have not already done so, please do contact our patient advice and liaison service (PALS) on 020 7349 7715 or by email at pals@rbht.nhs.uk who will be keen to help address your concerns.

Nico61 gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class hospital

I underwent a double CABG in July 2016. The treatment I received from the moment I was admitted until my discharge was the very best I have ever experienced in an NHS hospital. My consultant surgeon and their team were in my opinion world class. I understand they do this everyday but I was made to feel important not just another procedure. The nurses/HCA's were all fantastic.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 25 September 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 07 October 2016

Dear Nico,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how delighted you were with your care and your treatment. We pride ourselves on our world class specialist treatments and it’s fantastic to hear how pleased you were with your procedure. We know that coming into hospital is never just ‘another procedure’ for our patients, and that listening to them, and treating them with respect, dignity and courtesy, are all central to making sure we provide the highest standards of care. We believe our staff should feel proud of their work and the specialist nursing teams involved in your care will be really happy to hear how appreciative you were. Thanks again for letting us know, and all the best for the future.

T Abella gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ICD procedure

I was admitted on Sunday 8 May. My procedure was carried out Monday 9 May. I was discharged on Tuesday 10 May. The Staff in Oak Ward were kind helpful and respectful at all times. The lab staff made me feel at ease and comfortable and explained everything to me during the procedure.
Overall, excellent, and I can't thank you enough.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 18 May 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 15 June 2016

Thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with your heart procedure. We understand how treating patients with dignity and ensuring they are well-informed and involved in decisions about their care can have a big impact on their experience of being in hospital. It is good to know that the care provided by our staff helped to put you at ease. The specialist teams working on Oak Ward and in the catheter labs will be pleased to hear you were grateful for their approach. Thanks again for taking the time to provide feedback.

Rosemary Mitchell gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Atrial ablation

I was admitted to Oak Ward, Bay 1, Bed 3, on 18th April for the procedure the next day.
The nurses were very attentive and caring.
I felt privileged that the consultant carried out the procedure, and there has been continuity of care from my consultant whilst I was an out-patient too.
I was previously an in-patient at another hospitall 6 years ago, and I feel that the overall standard of care made last week's admission an altogether better experience

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 25 May 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 15 June 2016

Dear Rosemary, thank you for taking the time to comment about your care. We are lucky to have some of the country’s leading cardiologists and specialist nurses working at our Trust, which means patients have access to very high standards of care. The team on Oak Ward will be particularly pleased you appreciated their efforts. We are also pleased to provide consultant-led care in our outpatients department and it is good to hear this played a part in your positive experience. Thanks again for letting us know and we wish you the best for the future.

Angie gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Lung Surgery

I was admitted and stayed in Cedar 1 Ward for the night before my operation the following morning. I was immediately introduced to the nurse that was going to look after me at that time, which was very reasssuring. At every shift change the nurses would introduce the next nurse that would look after me. All of the nurses and healthcare workers that I had the privilege to meet were absolutely lovely. Nothing was too much trouble and I was treated with courtesy, respect and consideration at all times.
At all stages I felt fully informed and consulted about the operation with any associated pros and risks clearly explained. Both the surgical team and anaesthetist took time with the above and listened and responded to my anxieties.
On the morning of the operation, all the staff I met introduced themselves on route to theatre, and meeting my Surgeon and Registrar pre op helped to put me at my ease and make me feel more confident before the procedure. I would especially include the porters and catering staff who possibly receive few thanks yet do a fantastic job.
Following surgery I spent time in the High Dependency Unit and Cedar 2 Ward with outstanding care. I cannot praise or thank everyone highly enough, and I do genuinely mean everyone that I met at Harefield hospital enough. Harefield is a fantastic Hospital and a jewel in the NHS crown.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 13 June 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 01 July 2016

Dear Angie,
Thank you for telling us how impressed you were with your treatment. Our clinical teams understand that making sure patients are fully informed and involved in decisions about their care and treating them with respect can make all the difference to their time in hospital. The specialist nursing and surgical teams will be pleased to hear that their approach was appreciated and put you at ease. Thank you for also recognising the efforts of our non-clinical staff who will value your feedback. Many thanks again and best wishes for the future.

ZIPPYPOPPY gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Never Again

Arrived at 0900 for angioplasty, told at 1330 that I was next in the queue, then told at 5pm that the op was cancelled. Said I'd go home & have the op done privately, wish I had done so. Next, I was told the op could be done at 2pm the next day, I said no, this was not possible for domestic reasons. Finally the procedure took place approx 6pm.

I was refused pain relief, which I feel was out of spite as I'd complained about the delay, left screaming in agony and handled roughly, resulting in damage to my arm. Arm swelled up and extreme pressure was applied, then tight bands were strapped on & my arm was put into a sling, which was hung vertically from a hook. I spent 9pm to 4 am sitting upright with the arm suspended like a piece of meat in the butcher's.

No food whatsoever was offered to me (I'd not eaten since 6am) and no pain relief until, on 2nd request, I got 2 panadol tablets at about 730 the next morning. Later a more helpful nurse got me some codeine.

No towel or clean gown, unable to wash or do anything other than brush teeth in a lavatory washbasin. No private facilities on the ward, and usage of mixed sex facilities on the corridor was demeaning, particularly for a male patient who was wheeled half naked into the lavatory. Worse than prison conditions - at least prisoners get fed & can have a wash.

Mistake with hospital transport meant I had to pay £20 for a taxi home.

6 days later my arm is severely bruised, swollen and I have only partial use of it. I still feel dizzy and exhausted from lack of sleep. I remain shocked at the inhumane way in which I was dealt with (won't say "treated" ). Harefield was, for me, the hospital from Hell.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 13 March 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 14 March 2016

We are very sorry to hear that you felt your experience did not meet the high standards for which we strive. We would encourage you to contact our patient advice and liaison service (PALS) for a confidential discussion. You can contact PALS on 020 7349 7715 (Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm) or by email at pals@rbht.nhs.uk.

Anonymous reviewed Respiratory Medicine at Harefield Hospital

Inpatient food and menu

Food served to patients is not good. Soups are thin and tasteless. No roll served as menu. Presentation of mains unappetising and things on menu not served. Eg dry roast chicken and overdone roast potatoes. Menu says with stuffing and Yorkshire pud, not served. Pudding chosen not available.
Food is vital part of recovery and just not good enough. Has drastically detriotated since last in 2 years ago

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 15 March 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 31 March 2016

We are sorry to hear you were not satisfied with the meals provided and appreciate you taking the time to let us know. Our latest patient-led assessment rated food at Harefield slightly above the national average, but we are always striving to improve our services and recognise that an important part of this is acting on patient comments and suggestions. Thank you for your feedback which we have passed to our catering team.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My father was admitted for a triple bypass. The operation went well and I just want to say a big thank you to all the doctors and especially the nurses who made a real effort to go beyond the call of duty and look after my Dad. From everything from food, to conversation, to reassuring the family - the nurses were amazing. My family will be forever in gratitude for the exceptional care. We cannot put into words how thankful we are.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 04 January 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 27 January 2016

Thank you for letting us know how pleased you were with your father’s treatment. We are extremely proud of our expert clinical teams and are fortunate to have skilled nurses who are fully committed to providing the very best care to patients. They will be happy to hear you appreciated their efforts and that they were able to put you and your family at ease. Wishing you the very best for the future.

Brenda Redford gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful hospital

My son was admitted last August after having a heart attack. He is only 36. They saved his life. He has had wonderful care and support. Cannot thank you enough. He had a diffulator fitted in March which went well. The doctors and nurses are worth their weight in Gold.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 30 May 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 14 June 2016

Dear Brenda,
Thank you for sharing your positive experience. We are proud that the heart attack centre at Harefield has one of the fastest treatment times in the country as we know the speed of treatment is crucial to a patient's chances of survival. It is great to hear that your son has benefitted from the expertise of our clinical team and they will be very grateful for your kind words. Thanks again for taking the time to provide feedback and we wish you and your son the very best for the future.