Burnley General Hospital

01282 425071 Burnley General Hospital, Casterton Avenue , Burnley, BB10 2PQ

Alan gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thank You All.

I visited the urgent care unit on the 2nd of Aug following a cat bite suffered the previous day. I booked in at the desk and went to sit in the waiting room. 2 hours waiting on the notice board! Within 5 mins a young Nurse called me in for assessment, ( I wasn't feeling to bad then ) and was asked to take a seat in the waiting room again. I was sat for maybe 10 or 15 mins before I started to feel unwell! Now someone must have been watching because a few minutes later I was called in by a Doctor, ( the waiting room was half full of people who looked worse than myself! ). The Doctor gave me a quick but thorough examination and promptly spoke to her senior to confirm her recommended treatment. Within minutes she had a nurse there with a Tetanus injection, ( Ouch! Yes! They still hurt..... Ha Ha ) and started me on a course of Antibiotics and the wound was dressed. And before I left I was given very firm instructions to return if things did not improve or got any worse. It's now 2 1/2 days later and the red tracking marks up my arm are now just bruising marks, the swelling is subsiding and i am well on the mend.
From walking through the door I was treated with courtesy and care by everyone. Thank You All...... "The World" would be a far far poorer place to be without such caring people as yourselves.......
As for the cat! He'd had a seizure! My hand got to near his mouth whilst trying to stop him doing himself harm! He shook himself off and wanted feeding! Ha Ha.....
Alan Whitehead.......

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 04 August 2018

Burnley General Hospital replied on 06 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit to the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Teaching Hospital following a cat bite.
It is lovely to receive such positive feedback regarding the care and service you received during your visit and we are delighted to pass this on to the staff who will very much appreciate your comments as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
If you would like to provide us with further information about your experience then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and using our services. You can either contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.

Gwen Crawford gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The staff put the care back into nursing

This was a very different experience to a similar procedure I had in a different hospital around ten years ago. The staff were very kind and professional, and seemed to see me as a person, not just someone in a bed. I know there have been moves to improve the care aspect of nursing, and not over technologise the role, and if this is the case, then it seems to be working. Facilities excellent, as were all staff. A special mention to the night nurse, who was incredibly kind and solicitous.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 04 August 2018

Burnley General Hospital replied on 06 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit to Gynaecology at Burnley General Teaching Hospital.

Carl Riley gave Orthopaedics at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hospital stay

I have just spent 4. Nights on this ward and I can’t speak highly enough. From admission to discharge, the staff were fantastic. Very friendly, welcoming and caring. The whole ward was exceptionally clean and had plenty of notices around the place.

Well done and thank you for looking after me so well.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 09 July 2018

Burnley General Hospital replied on 09 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent admission to the Orthopaedic Ward at Burnley General Teaching Hospital.

It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about your stay and the staff who cared for you during your admission. We are delighted to pass your comments on to the staff who will very much appreciate your feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to provide us with further information about your admission then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient using our services. You can either contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk

Dellym gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Urgent Care Centre

After a fall this morning I was forced to visit urgent care for my injured ankle.
I cannot praise the staff and care provided highly enough. Very efficient, friendly and caring.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 10 July 2018

Burnley General Hospital replied on 11 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit to the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Teaching Hospital following an ankle injury.

Elaine gave Surgery - Breast at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Second mamagram and ultrasound needed

A difficult day was made much easier by the wonderful DR and staff.They were easy to talk to they explained each procedure simply and answered all questions. I feit very reassured
Thankyou

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 11 July 2018

Burnley General Hospital replied on 12 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent mammogram and ultrasound procedures at Burnley General Teaching Hospital.

MRR gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I could not have been treated better.

I visited the hospital on 19th July for a colonoscopy.
I was attended to by a Consultant and his team.
Quite honestly, I don't think I could have received better treatment.
All of the staff were very friendly and professional
Everything was explained to me and I was made as comfortable as possible during the entire procedure.
I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending this department.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 20 July 2018

Burnley General Hospital replied on 20 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent colonoscopy procedure at Burnley General Teaching Hospital.

Meg gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Burnley urgent care - 5 hour wait.

Recently went to the urgent care centre at 9pm on a Friday evening after being bit by a cat at work (veterinary nurse). When I arrived the receptionists were not friendly at all. The waiting room was full and there was a sign saying 4 hour wait (I only saw this when in the waiting room, the receptionists didn't tell me that). I waited until 1:30am to be seen. Other patients had OOH GP appointments so we're arriving and checking in with reception and being called straight through. I wasn't told I could make an appointment and come back later by reception. I didn't know this was an option. At 1:30am I was called through to be assessed. The consultant looked at my finger and said I would need antibiotics and an x-ray and tetanus. I was then left in the consult room without much communication. The porter came to get me to walk me to x-ray. The nurse there was lovely. I had some xrays done, walked back to the consult room where another patient had been placed. I stood outside in the corridor for a good 20 minutes. No one spoke to me, no one told me to go and wait back in the waiting room. When the other patient left the consult room I went back in and sat down and waited there on my own again for a long time. A nurse (?) Then came along and said she would be with me shortly. The consultant I had seen was sat at a little reception and told his colleague he was going on his break and walked off....
The nurse came in to give me my tetanus and antibiotics. At this stage I asked what my xrays were showing, she didn't know. She hadn't been told or knew if they had even been looked at... I then asked her what I should be looking out for with my hand, as the consultant literally squeezed my finger and sent me for xrays... She gave me basic signs to look out for and told me if it gets worse to come back. Which I never would have done after that experience anyway.
I didn't mind the wait, I understand there is a long waiting time but the lack of communication between staff and to leave me as a patient sat on my own with no communication for so long is unacceptable and left me with no confidence in what they were telling me.
I have since been to Preston urgent care centre and had a very different and positive experience with different advice and would not recommend coming here at all.
Ring up first and ask for the waiting time or make an appointment with a GP.
Really let the NHS down. Need to work on communication with the patients from reception right through to the consultants and nurses. If I treated my patients like that the practice would not be open for long!

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 06 August 2018

Burnley General Hospital replied on 06 August 2018

Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
I am extremely sorry to hear of your recent experience and will ensure that your comments are fed back to the senior staff for the Urgent Care Centre.
If you would like to provide further information about your experience you can contact the Patient Experience team. You can contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk
Or if you prefer you can discuss further any concerns you may have about our services with our East Lancashire Hospitals Trust Customer Relations team on 01254 733700 or complaints@elht.nhs.uk who can advise you of your options in raising these concerns further.

Fiona gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visit to gynaecology

Excellent appointment in a new part of the hospital which I had not been to before. I had 3 different scans/examinations with hardly any waiting time and by the time I reached the 3rd one the scans from the first two had been sent through. Very efficiently done. Lovely staff who were kind and very respectful. The automatic check in didn't work but it wasn't an issue. My only comment is that on arriving in the hospital grounds there is no clear map or labelling on the outside of the buildings. It is therefore very confusing to find each area and level and to know what building to enter.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 10 June 2018

Burnley General Hospital replied on 11 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent appointment in the Gynaecology Department at Burnley General Teaching Hospitals.

It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about your visit and the staff who dealt with you and we are delighted to pass your comments on to the staff. They will very much appreciate your feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care. I will also ensure that your comments about there being no clear map or labelling are passed to our Estates Department.

If you would like to provide us with further information about your experience then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient using our services. You can either contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk

Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

The slowest pharmacy in England (probably)

My day started at 7.50am with a phone call from the hospital to ask if I could come in ASAP as there had been a couple of cancellations, I was supposed to go in at 12 0'clock. I duly went in by 9am. The staff were great and appreciative of the fact that I had managed to get in so quickly. Everything went well and all finished by 1.30pm I could go home. But no, I needed items from the pharmacy and would have to wait until they were ready. 2 hours and 30 minutes I had to wait twiddling my thumbs until they could fill out my prescription. Ridiculous. This has been the case every time I have been to this department. Someone/something needs to change. I can put myself out for the hospital but the pharmacy only seems to have one speed - as slow as possible.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 18 June 2018

Burnley General Hospital replied on 19 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on NHS Choices regarding the Pharmacy at Burnley General Teaching Hospital. We are sorry to hear about your experience and in particular the length of time you had to wait and will ensure that your feedback is shared with the service provider.

If you would like to provide further information about your visit then you can contact the Patient Experience Team at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk or you can telephone me, Melissa Almond on 01254 734087

Chris gave Pharmacy services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Glacial speed

I am unfortunate enough to require medicine that can only be prescribed by my specialist meaning hospital prescriptions, meaning a trip to wasting more of my life away in that infernal, overcrowded waiting room. I have never gotten out of there with my medicine in hand in under 45 mins. What's worse is despite my specialist seeing me quarterly and giving me perscriptions for 3 months worth of medication they refuse to just dispense what is on the perscription, instead giving me a month's worth and telling me to come back when I need more. As if they don't waste enough of my time, petrol and parking money. This service (if you can call it that) is some kind of bad joke. They regularily turn my half hour off work for my appointment into a 2 hour mess. Just give me what the prescriber says to give me and save me having to sit there catching bugs from all the people in there coughing away when I have a weakened immune system. The whole thing is a disgrace, it should be shut down and proper perscriptions issued so I can go somewhere else.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 22 May 2018

Burnley General Hospital replied on 15 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on NHS Choices regarding the Pharmacy at Burnley General Teaching Hospital. We are sorry to hear about your experience and will ensure that your feedback is shared with the management team for the department.

If you would like to provide further information about your experience then you can contact the Patient Experience Team at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk or you can telephone me, Melissa Almond on 01254 734087