University Hospital Lewisham

020 8333 3000 Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

Julie gave Ear, Nose & Throat at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Ent

Fantastic ent so helpful kind and found out what was wrong with me and made me better would recommend the ENT to every one so greatful for all there help

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 06 December 2017

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Day surgery.

From start to finish I was well informed. Given chance to ask questions. I was treated with respect and dignity. Anaesthetist made me laugh before I fell asleep. Woke up with nurse beside me checking me and offering pain relief. Nurse during recovery continued to check pain relief was adequate and how I was feeling. Once moved to recovery was offered food and drink. Checked on regularly and told to buzz if I needed anything. Nurse collected my prescription from hospital pharmacy for me so I didn’t need to.

Nurses were friendly and caring with a genuine wish to make sure patients were comfortable and treated Ruth dignity.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 11 November 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 13 November 2017

Thank you so much for giving the staff such positive feedback. Being encouraged is always welcomed and our staff try to ensure all patients are treated as individuals and that what could be an anxious time is eased by compassionate care. A bit of laughter helps too.

The team wish you a speedy recovery.

Karen Gardiner
Head of Nursing
Surgery UHL

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

If medical issue requires ongoing engagement go elsewhere.

I have had to have a number of interactions with this hospital: A&E, Orthopaedics, Day surgery and Physiotherapy. While treatment of immediate problems has for the most part been satisfactory, everything that has to do with co-ordination and/or administering longer term care is in complete disarray.

Correct appointments are not made, letters for appointments are not sent, attempts to contact clinics are impossible - after calling over 20 times a person from the Patients Advice Line had to physically go to the administrators desk to get any answers on my behalf.

If you need ongoing care I would highly recommend going elsewhere - the standard of care I've seen is mediocre at best and just not worth the stress.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 11 November 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 29 November 2017

Thank you for your feedback.

We are genuinely really sorry and disappointed to hear that your experience at Lewisham & Greenwich Trust has been a negative one. If you would like to discuss this further please contact our PALS department on 020 8333 3355 or pals.lewisham@nhs.net

Patient Experience Team

Anonymous gave Podiatry at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Perfunctory consultation

After a long wait for a podiatry appointment at my surgery, they referred me for a biomechanics appointment at Lewisham hospital. The appointment letter said to allow an hour and I was told to expect a gait analysis.

What I got was an arrogant consultant who was clearly not interested in anyI had to say, spent about 5 minutes with me and gave me some exercises which they did not explain clearly. Waste of time and disappointing. I am no further forward.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 14 November 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 16 November 2017

I am very disappointed to hear about your poor experience with the Podiatry service at Lewisham Hospital. We always aim to provide quality care in a timely manner to all our patients.

Currently the average waiting time for new patients into our MSK service is 6 weeks. I would like to apologise if your appointment was any longer than that. Our invitation letter to book an MSK appointment with our service states:

‘As part of the assessment a full musculo-skeletal examination may need to be undertaken, …..to enable full assessment of the range of motion in the joints’

and once you book an appointment, the letter confirming the appointment time and date states:

'.......the assessment can take up to 1 hour....'

I would therefore like to apologise if our letters led you believe you would have a full hours appointment including gait analysis. As a result of your comments we will be reviewing our letters to ensure better clarity

Your comments have also been forwarded to the team involved in your care for their review and reflection, as they will want to ensure that any future patients do not have a similar experience and all learning from your complaint is applied to future practice.

Ciaran Devlin
Foot Health & Orthotics Service Lead
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Visit on 18 Nov 2017 at 11.45pm

I visited the Urgent Care centre at 11.45 and was there for a total of 5 hours, waiting just under 4 hours before I was seen. Not sure if this is the typical waiting time but it seemed very long in comparison to my trips to other UCCs incl. Queen Elizabeth in Woolwich/Eltham.

When I arrived there was vomit on the floor that remained there for about 2 hours. There was a 'slippery floor' notice put next to it.

When I was finally seen by a doctor they were rightfully called to attend to one of their patients in critical condition and advised they would return in 10 minutes. This turned into approximately 35-40, which meant my total wait time to receive help was now over 4 hours. No fault to the doctor but I wonder if in such a situation, given we had barely started our consultation, if I could have been put back on the list to avoid having to spend almost 5 hours in UCC. It was clear they were understaffed and busy though at time it felt, in the waiting room in the view of others, that there was no sense of urgency or feeling amongst the doctors on shift to get people seen as soon as possible. Perhaps this is due to overarching factors, who knows.

When I saw my doctor it did feel like I directed them using what I had read on NHS online. The doctor was very attentive and was willing to help.

I would avoid going here and probably will choose to go further out to a different UCC if needed simply due to the wait times and state of the UCC.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 18 November 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 20 November 2017

Thank you for your comments. A clean and healthy environment is one of our top priorites and I am very disappointed to learn that this standard was not met on this occasion, so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

With regards to the long wait, it is difficult to answer specifically as the situation can change in any A&E department from one hour to the next but all departments have a target that 95% of patient’s be seen and discharged or admitted within 4 hours and we try our utmost to meet this target. There are of course times of high demand where this is not possible and we understand how frustrating this can be. We are committed to serving the local
and extended population and therefore work constantly on ways to improve and polish our service within the resources that we have.

All comments help us to do this so thank you for taking the time.

Sarah Carver
Matron ED
University Hospital Lewisham
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Sexual health services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Couldn't get a slot as they called it!

Went in, went to reception 21/11/17. The receptionist looked at me like I was an alien. I asked for an appointment, they said I should have come earlier! All the slots are gone.
I got there at 3:30pm!. I said didn't you open at 2pm? They said yeah but you have to get here by 2:30 to get a slot. I said, I work and I finished early to get here at this time. They said you should go to waldron in Newcross! I said I can't get there and back in time to get my child from after school club. No where online did it say to get there by 2:30 to book a slot. Or even that you have to book a slot! Basically this clinic is suited to people who do not work! Its a joke.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 21 November 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 01 December 2017

I apologise that you were unable to access the sexual health service that required on Monday 21st November. Due to service constraints we are not able to see all patients who may wish to access services on any given day and at any given clinic. I acknowledge that this was frustrating for you as you had taken time off work to access a service which could not accommodate you.

We have just launched our new website kisp.org.uk on Monday 27th November. This clearly states that we offer a slot system, that slots are limited and clinics may close earlier than the advertised times if very busy. The web site indicates that the clinic doors open 30 minutes before the start of clinic so clinicians are able to start seeing patients promptly at the designated opening time but as a consequence capacity for the available slots may be reached quickly.

The website also provides information on booking same day appointments at the Waldron, the same day appointments are available between 17.00 and 19.00. These appointments are available to book from 10.00 on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday at 14.00 on Wednesday.

Some patients may find the Saturday service which operates from the Waldron from 10.00-14.00 an alternative means to access sexual health services on a day which may be more convenient to them.

The Administration Manager for our department will be delivering training on the 6th December on how staff manage patients presenting at reception to be seen will be covered.

Kathryn Cross
Matron Sexual and Reproductive Health
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Francesca gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 3 stars

Brilliant doctors, patchy nurses but great auxiliary nurses

The SelDoc Gp was amazing - so helpful and compassionate and really listened. They prescribed; gave me three possible diagnoses; then strongly advised me to wait in the actual A and E for bloods as they were worried about accidental liver damage. I wanted to get home, but the GP was so politely insistent I stayed. I did have liver damage. I was treated within 2 hrs in AandE - doc was wonderful. So caring and compassionate and went above and beyond many times. So grateful. But bad luck with nurses began here. Nurse cannulating my arm sneezed all over their equipment and carried on, then scolded me for making a fuss about the pain(!) - they had a few painful attempts at before getting it right.//I was put in small waiting room, but were three loud conversations, from other patient groups on drips, every word painful in my state. I asked a nurse if could I move - 'No, there are no rooms, they're all being used.' Seconds later my doctor arrived and whisked me off to one of the many empty rooms.//I was in CDU for 2 night and days. The 4 doctors I saw were all warm and compassionate - absolutely wonderful. I really wish I could remember their names - I was too ill. //Unfortunately experiences as an inpatient are shaped by nurses, not doctors. I did not receive my meds on time once. They gave me every wrong combination, from giving me pills twice that could have been catastrophic if boyfriend hadn't;t noticed, to forgetting to give any pills at all, to taking an hour to walk the morphine over after I reported 10/10 pain..//One nurse told me my scan was fine. I had not been told the results yet, and little did they know that 'fine' meant it was 'something else' - a very serious, untreatable condition. It turned out later they were wrong, thank god! I was distraught, they were very unsympathetic - walked away from me rolling their eyes. Mv pain was still 10/10, and later they told me, to my devastation, a new doc I hadn't met was cutting my pain meds in half because 'you should never have been on that dose.' I asked why was I on it then, had CDU made a mistake? A farcical conversation ensued where they denied saying 'you should never have been on that dose', then said it again! Then said it didn't mean an error. They wouldn't listen or let me explain. They told me to take ibuprofen - (accidental ibuprofen overdose key part of my liver damage...). They were rude, bullying, talked over me, did not listen and left me sobbing in a corner without morphine which they then 'forgot' to bring me all night. It was finally brought when the next nurse came on shift with apologies.// good news -the auxiliary nurses were all lovely. One comforted me when I cried after 2 incidents. Another person constantly went above and beyond their duties and was so kind, attentive and caring. Reporting my pain relief requests, doing everything to make me comfortable - what a loving, kind, hard working person. They're very lucky to have them.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 30 November 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 01 December 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to le us know about your experience. It is lovely to hear about the staff who you found to be warm caring and efficient , but very disappointing to hear that you found some of the nursing team to be not as warm and caring.

The Emergency Department Matron will discuss with the nursing staff who were involved with your care and your concerns will be used for learning and development. We would like to pass on our apologies to you. We try very hard to ensure all our patients feel cared for and are looked after well and we are very sorry that you did not experience this.

Carol Spanswick
Emergency Department Matron
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 4 stars

Early pregnancy unit

I went to the hospital 5th of Oct as I began to worry about my 4 weeks pregnancy. I went to A&E and refered to Early Pregnancy unit. Once I got there I had to wait. I think the prioritization system is based on number rather than urgency i.e if you refered by emergency, may be those people should be attended quicker rather than put into normal queue. But then again there was only 1 nurse working on ultra sound machine and I am 100 % sure they were doing all they can do. They were supportive they was attentive (as much as they can as 1 person within bunch of pregnant ladies). Unfortunately I had miscarriage but the nurse was exceptionally caring. I am sure that for them I am probably 1 of 30 people they see everyday (May be more) . But they made me feel they cared about what is happening to me and treated me with sympathy and dignity. I know people can be unhappy with waiting time etc etc which is not the fault of these wonderful people who are working really hard, but it is due to low funding and lack of support to these people. So special thanks to nurse who was working on Early pregnancy unit, ultra sound machine who helped me enormously on the 5th of Oct.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 06 October 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 10 October 2017

Thank you for your positive comments. I will pass them on to the EPAU staff.

Patients are seen by number order, however we do prioritise them on clinical need at presentation. We are currently reviewing our posters to explain our system to patients, which will ensure they are kept informed.

kind regards

Advanced Nurse Practitioner, EPAU

Adrian gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Very smooth procedure

Having had an unpleasant experience on a previous occasion, I was apprehensive about having a routine gastroscopy examination. But I have nothing but praise for the way the procedure was carried out this time, as quickly and painlessly as possible. I was given full information before, during and after the procedure and my questions were fully and clearly answered. The care and consideration I was given were second to none.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 20 October 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 23 October 2017

Thank you for these positive comments, they are much appreciated and I have passed them on to the team.

I am pleased that your experience was good and better than you had feared.

Dr John O’Donohue
Clinical Lead for Endoscopy
UHL

Ngozika gave Gynaecology at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

I want to say a big thank you to the gyeancolgy team.

I want to thank the gyeanacology team in LEWISHAM hospital. They are excellent and humble the doctors are very down to earth they kept alive today,

Am proud of the the N.H.S AM ALIVE TODAY THANKS TO THEM

The nurses are excellent I was treated with respect and dignity.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 22 October 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 25 October 2017

Thank you very much for your positive comments about the gynaecology service at University Hospital Lewisham. We will ensure that the staff receive your feedback on how you felt about the service that they provide.

Louise Pollard