Worcestershire Royal Hospital

01905 763 333 Charles Hastings Way, Charles Hastings Way , Worcester, Worcestershire, WR5 1DD

Bryan Horrocks gave Haematology at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Saved my life twice

The title seems dramatic, you judge. Earlier this year I was diagnosed with Lymphatic Cancer After 18 weeks of Chemo ( not nice ) I came out fine. Eight months later ie last week I was diagnosed with Neutropenic Sepsis. After 4 nights in bed I left feeling fine.
As I have managed to evade any hospital for 78 years I only had the media to go on which was to say the least not encouraging.
However all I can say is that the service from all the clinicians, nurses and support staff during both periods was no less than excellent. It may be that as in both cases the illness I had was life threatening it made a difference. That`s not for me to know or say.
( I was informed that in both cases without treatment it would be fatal ).
All I can say is thankyou to the staff of Rowan Suite for looking after me for my Cancer and A&E, MAU and Laurel 3 for my Sepsis.
( This review also includes staff involved with my Cancer care at Alexandra Hospital - Redditch ).

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 09 December 2017

Worcestershire Royal Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 2 stars

winter pressures is not an excuse for inadequate resources,

too many poatients seeking treatment in hard pressed A&E resulted in very long waits for my elderly fragile Dad. Staff were kindly and caring, but their working conditions are far from ideal, and it screams out for better resourcing,I have accompanied my father there twice recently, both times he was stuck on trolley in overcrowded corridors, later the main A&E where he got a bed, and had several hours waiting, last time was early hours of Tuesday, brought in from another medical unit around 315 am for urgent treatment, but had to wait til gone 6 pm before passing on the MAU, and later, after I left, to a ward. Dont know how staff can be so tolerant of moaning patients who complain at lack of choice of a sandwich at 4 am. They are put in a situation where there are so many seeking urgent help, that I wonder how they keep going. Very kind caring professional staff in desperately stretched working conditions,

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 10 December 2017

JTM2003 gave Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy Unit

Had one over two years ago, today was my second.
Doctor and nurses just brilliant.
Am on Warferin, and INR was 2.0 Friday, Doctor advised we can do the procedure, but your INR should be 1.5 or lower, not 2.0, so if we find anything, you will have to come back to operate.
Doctor was great.
Nurse then popped out, got an INR star machine, and I said to Doctor whilst the nurse was out - "Doubt I will get under 1.5, as was 2 on Friday"
Nurse came back and finger prick test came back at 1.5.
We laughed about that - spot on, and the chances of that ?
So we were good to go.

I cannot recommend your staff highly enough, brilliant just brilliant, and we even managed to have a laugh.

The nurse was brilliant, they went out of their way to get the INR machine and make me comfortable, the nurse was totally on the ball.
I shook the nurse's hand at the INR test and afterwards, great care and with a very positive attitude.
The nurse is a great asset to the department.

The nurse also appreciated I wanted to get back to ride my new motorbike !
The nurse was lovely and with such a refreshing positive attitude, as was the Doctor.
I do sincerely hope my positive comments get back to the Doctor and Nurses on the endoscopy unit.
Just Brilliant.
Cannot fault them.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 16 December 2017

Carpenham reviewed Worcestershire Royal Hospital

My Hospital Experience

Following a two-week stay in Worcester Royal Hospital (WRH), I have been reflecting on the Care Quality Commission’s Report that assessed the WRH as being ‘inadequate’.
The quality of medical and social care I received was of the highest standard. This includes from not only the Consultants, Doctors, Nurses (and Student Nurses on placement) but also from the ancillary staff; the porters who wheeled me along the corridors to and from the x-ray department; the cleaners; the bed makers and those who served my meals. All were kind and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
The negative reporting of WRH’s performance is, in my opinion, appalling and does not necessarily reflect patient experience.
To all the WRH staff, my sincere and grateful thanks for your professionalism, carried out with good humour, under difficult circumstances.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 21 November 2017 using Care Opinion

Worcestershire Royal Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent and Quick Communication

The staff are very friendly, from the receptionists to the consultant.

I like the fact that the consultant explained my results to me by drawing me a diagram and explaining exactly what was happening inside my ear, bit by bit, and in lay terms. I feel like I can make an informed decision about what to do next because of the clear delivery of information. I also don't feel rushed at all when meeting with the consultant and I feel like they were very supportive.

I've been able to have two hearing tests and a meeting with the consultant within a month which is very speedy and unexpected!

I feel relaxed and comfortable in this department. A great experience in times of worry and nervousness - thank you.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 23 November 2017

Worcestershire Royal Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Not Taken Seriously, Delay Unacceptable

Saw the endocrinologist on the 9th of November for testosterone replacement therapy change. Say's they'll write a letter to my GP for Nebido injections.

It's not the 28th, and no further forward.

Since being in the West Midlands healthcare system I have flatly found they don't give a damn about men's health and hormone treatment. If I were a woman, I'f have HRT thrown at me until I was drowned in it. Men? We can wait, suffer the symptoms and just be quiet. Someone will do something at some point.

Absolutely disgusted, from beginning to end - I've had to even educate the endocrinologist on aromatase enyme and estrogen conversion from excess testosterone. Is no one even aware of what this is? Didn't even know of a study on it.

Shocking isn't even the word. Sexist, discriminatory and painful to go through.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 28 November 2017

Sexijonni reviewed Worcestershire Royal Hospital

Recent visited to acute stroke ward

I was very pleased with the services I received at my recent outpatient appointment and would like to thank all the staff who I was seen by

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 30 November 2017 using Care Opinion

Worcestershire Royal Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Poor service

I was referred to the ENT department by my GP who is excellent by the way as the doctor listens and talks to me like a human being. I am deaf and my hearing is deteriorating and my GP had diagnosed catarrh or at least something blocking my ear as my ears felt clogged & sore.
Anyway, I did not know which doctor I would see but when I went into the room and saw the doctor, my heart sank as I had seen the doctor before and the doctor wasn't very pleasant then. I took my mum with me to the appointment and boy am I glad I did. I could hardly hear the doctor as they made no effort to speak up and the doctor even talked to my mum and not me. I came with a notepad of questions and research I had some but the doctor didn't seem interested in what i had to say. Yes, I know I have nerve deafness but there may have been other contributing factors that may have caused my hearing to deteriorate and I wanted to explore that. The doctor didn't seem interested. The doctor showed us a model of the ear and talked directly to my mum and not me! By this time, I was extremely distresed and angry and didn't hear what they said. The doctor has absolutely no idea how to speak to a deaf person and has no bedside manner whatsoever. I came away from that appt very upset and angry. I would not recommend the doctor - even my mum was furious with them - and I hope I never have to see this doctor again. I've seen better doctors. The doctor may have all the credentials etc but the doctor doesn't have any compassion nor the abilty to listen and explore other ideas. Please don't let me see them again.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 04 December 2017

Worcestershire Royal Hospital has not yet replied.

Nicola hill gave Gynaecology at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic service

I was admitted to the anti natal ward for a removal of a cyst and full hysterectomy. I was treated with so much dignity and respect. I was comforted and nothing was never too much trouble. Every one from consultants. Nurses HCAS were amazing. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 04 December 2017

Worcestershire Royal Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Physiotherapy at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Pediatric physio outpatients

My 16 your old has to wait 18 weeks for a physio out patients appointment and the only clinicians that deal with this type of physio are based in Worcester.

I said as he is 16 can he not see an general physio I was told he has to wait for a paediatric appointment. Earliest appointment 9th March 2018

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 30 November 2017