Worcestershire Royal Hospital

01905 763 333 Charles Hastings Way, Charles Hastings Way , Worcester, Worcestershire, WR5 1DD

Anonymous gave at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Shocking

really really disappointed and upset with the treatment I have received from the maternity triage department over the last few weeks.

After experience some funny symptoms from 28 weeks and seeing my GP about them, I felt unwell one Sunday evening and decided to take my blood pressure at home. It was HIGH and I called triage for advice. I was made to feel like a criminal for ‘ illegally’ taking my own blood pressure and told... “well I wouldn’t have seen you but I,m going to have to now aren’t I” hmmmm I don’t know... that’s why I’m calling. When I arrived a midwife support assistant showed me into a room and didn’t even say hello. She obviously didn’t want to be there and the only thing she said was that it was sunny.when I tried to be nice and said “you like the heat then”her response...” yeah but at least I’m not unemployed” WHAT THE HELL?..why does that matter and how would that make someone who is unemployed feel?. Funnily enough, I did have high blood pressure and ended up being admitted. Being spoken to like a naughty school girl probably didn’t help the blood pressure though!

I have had a further two visits to triage since and I will NEVER be returning again, what ever symptoms I get, if I feel I need to see someone I will be going to A & E . I have been told different information by every person I speak to. Been told I was diagnosed with a condition weeks ago and I didn’t even know about it. People dismis what you say and talk to you like a child! When mentioning my weight gain in the space of 10days (11lb) the response I got was “ well all scales are different” not even really, let’s weigh you now on the SAME scaled you were last weighed on just to double check.

This is my first pregnancy and unfortunately, I don’t know everything... that’s why I’m not a midwife and I rely on the services on the NHS to offer me the care and support I deserve which unfortunately has not been received.

I have requested a call from my consultant ( who I was allocated at 12weeks but not meet or spoken to yet} I didn’t get the call today but fingers crossed I will receive this ASAP.

I apprichaite you are all busy and not once have I complained about the 6 hours I have waited each time to see someone, or that each time I finally see a doctor they are called to an emergency so I don’t get to ask the questions I want to. I totally get that people are poorly and need help and those people should be treated. What is not acceptable is that you make people feel bad about using your service. This is not good and pregnant women should not be made to feel like an idiot for calling when they are experience symptoms of a serious condition!

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 06 August 2018

Worcestershire Royal Hospital replied on 07 August 2018

Dear Madam,
Thank you for leaving us your feedback. I’m very sorry to hear about your experience; we will share your comments with the responsible management team for Maternity. If you wish to discuss this further or would like us to look into your concerns in detail, please contact us at wah-tr.PET@NHS.net or by telephone on 0300 123 1733; please provide your name, contact information and quote the reference number 34726.

Patient Experience Team

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 1 stars

A total disgrace, avoid at all costs!

Attended on a Thursday evening at 18:00hrs after an appointment at my GP's surgery. GP said get straight to A&E don't go home, call 999 immediately iif you symptoms get worse and nil by mouth. Suspected Peritonitis following being an inpatient a few days earlier and having severe bowel pains. Attended Worcester with urgent letter from GP who also had phoned ahead telling hospital I was enroute and my approximate ETA. Attended and was told to sit. Waiting area was busy with lots of people. People clearly drunk, people arguing, people being sick on floor, like a zoo, no security anywhere, just like an advert on the tv for a donation for a third world hospital. An absolute disgrace. I was seen by a triage nurse who had coincidentally seen me a few days earlier when I was first admitted, she said she'd phone the surgical team and get me some urgent pain relief, an hour later still waiting and now it's 19:00 and shift change . After another hour of waiting I complained to another nurse and 40 mins later ( nearly 3 hours after urgent attendance) a nurse bought 2 paracetamols for oral administration, I said nil by mouth to which she just shrugged and said it'll be ok??? I took them due to the pain but could have took these 3 hours ago myself and at least would gave been in less pain. Waited another 3 and a half hours and despite waiting and waiting they couldn't tell me when of if I'd be seen. People were just getting up and walking out.in the end I decided to leave as I I was tired, hungry, thirsty and had simply had enough. By constrast Russells Hall hospital were great, a totally different experience, as was New Cross where a friend was admitted to. In future and unless being in an ambulance with no choice I would always travel to Dudley or Wolverhampton as Worcester is simply a joke! Perhaps the chief exec and his senior management team should try being a patient and see for themselves if they could even find where A&E is! Better still they could visit Dudley / Wolves NHS Trusts and take a steer from them, there's a thought! The nurses tried their best but clearly waiting area insufficient, no regular updates for patients and insufficient staffing all round.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 18 August 2018

Worcestershire Royal Hospital replied on 11 September 2018

Thank you for leaving us your feedback. I’m very sorry to hear about your experience; we will share your comments with the responsible management team for A&E. If you wish to discuss this further or would like us to look into your concerns in detail, please contact us at wah-tr.PET@NHS.net or by telephone on 0300 123 1733; please provide your name, contact information and quote the reference number 35460.

Dignity in a corridor

This was my first experience of A&E with my 90 year old father and it lived up to my appalling expectations. The housing of patients in corridors without any privacy or dignity has become the normal experience, the staff do not flinch at this. My father's partner and I stood in the corridor for over 8 hours; no chairs were offered, no food, no drink. All vending machines in A&E were out of order. The patients in the corridors had no privacy. I saw patients distressed and confused. The communication from the staff was non existent. All we were told was that this was not a hectic shift. My father was then moved to Redditch, arriving there at 3.30am this morning and I repeat her is 90! Redditch had none of my details although these had been left. The nursing staff at Worcester were caring towards my father but the doctors were not visible. This provision at this time is inadequate in every way I am sad to say

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 27 August 2018

Worcestershire Royal Hospital replied on 11 September 2018

Thank you for leaving us your feedback. I’m very sorry to hear about your experience; we will share your comments with the responsible management team for A&E. If you wish to discuss this further or would like us to look into your concerns in detail, please contact us at wah-tr.PET@NHS.net or by telephone on 0300 123 1733; please provide your name, contact information and quote the reference number 35457.

Patient Experience Team

Beatrice Baldwin gave Accident and emergency services at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I would like to thank all staff for their care last night

I would like to comment on the care and professionalism I received last night under such difficult circumstances for them to deal with. I only wish I could remember names. The staff cannot be faulted and while they are working under such difficult conditions their care was exemplary in the time they had to deal with individuals. Please let them know how much I appreciated it. Beatrice Baldwin’. This was 31st August 2018

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 01 September 2018

Dear Ms Baldwin,
Thank you for leaving us your feedback. We will share your kind comments with the responsible management team for A&E so that they can be shared with the staff. If you require anything further you can contact us at wah-tr.PET@NHS.net or by telephone on 0300 123 1733 - please quote the reference number 35433.

Patient Experience Team

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Riverbank

My daughter was admitted via A&E to riverbank Ward last weekend, the care she received in A&E was very timely being seen by a consultant swiftly and referred on equally swiftly. When on Riverbank the paediatric team of doctors and nurses were fantastic throughout a very difficult night. The medical treatment my daughter received was excellent and as she recovered the care from the rest of the ward was equally as good. Working within the NHS myself I know how stretched and pressurised things are, we couldn’t have been better looked after.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 01 September 2018

Worcestershire Royal Hospital replied on 10 September 2018

Thank you for leaving us your feedback. We will share your kind comments with the responsible management team for Paediatrics so that they can be shared with the staff. If you require anything further you can contact us at wah-tr.PET@NHS.net or by telephone on 0300 123 1733 - please quote the reference number 35432.

Patient Experience Team

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Sorrel Unit

I accompanied my Autistic son to the above unit on the 15th of August and was very relieved by the attitude of the reception staff and the nurses.

One of the nurses was excellent and found my son somewhere quite to wait and kept him informed as to the time scale .

It's not always appreciated by hospital staff haw distressing the hospital environment can be to someone with autism, or the effort and planning that carers go to in order to ensure that person attends appointments. Hospital staff listening to carers/parents and making small adjustments can make a huge difference which can be the difference between someone being able to access medical care or not.

Thank you to the receptions staff and the nurse

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 17 August 2018

Worcestershire Royal Hospital replied on 10 September 2018

Thank you for leaving us your feedback. We will share your kind comments with the responsible management team for the area so that they can be shared with the staff. If you require anything further you can contact us at wah-tr.PET@NHS.net or by telephone on 0300 123 1733 - please quote the reference number 35430.

Gemma gave at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Couldn’t fault the hospital or staff

The staff were amazing and I could not thank them enough for their care and support during my stay at the hospital. The hospital was very clean and comfortable.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 06 August 2018

Worcestershire Royal Hospital replied on 07 August 2018

Dear Madam,
Thank you for leaving us your feedback. We will share your kind comments with the responsible management team for Maternity so that they can be shared with the staff. If you require anything further you can contact us at wah-tr.PET@NHS.net or by telephone on 0300 123 1733 - please quote the reference number 34728.

Patient Experience Team

NWM gave Accident and emergency services at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A and E activity and staff.

I attended for over 3 hours late on Sunday evening/early Monday morning. Loads of staff working very hard and all I saw were great. Well done and they all in A and E should take a big bow!

However throughout that time it was obvious the whole system was working at 150%. Rarely a seat to be had and people had a long wait. Could someone advise us what plans are in place to increase capacity in the medium term?

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 16 July 2018

Worcestershire Royal Hospital replied on 23 July 2018

Thank you for leaving us your feedback. We will share your kind comments with the responsible management team for the area so that they can be shared with the staff. If you require anything further you can contact us at wah-tr.PET@NHS.net or by telephone on 0300 123 1733 - please quote the reference number 34225.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cardiology

I recently attended the hospital for a cardioversion. The whole process took less than 3 hours and fortunately was successful. All the staff that I came into contact with were wonderful-friendly, kind and reassuring and the whole experience was a pleasure.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 18 July 2018

Worcestershire Royal Hospital replied on 23 July 2018

Thank you for leaving us your feedback. We will share your kind comments with the responsible management team for the area so that they can be shared with the staff. If you require anything further you can contact us at wah-tr.PET@NHS.net or by telephone on 0300 123 1733 - please quote the reference number 34224.

Alison gave Rheumatology at Worcestershire Royal Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant rheumatology care

I have been supported by the rheumatology department since they were first involved while I was in hospital. What impresses me most is the absolute determination of all three practitioners involved with me to find out what is wrong and get me on appropriate treatment as soon as possible. I am treated with respect and as though my case matters.

The two specialist doctors and the specialist nurse listen to me and give me suitable information at my level, neither too complex nor patronising.

All in all I couldn’t wish for better. A HUGE THANK YOU.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 03 July 2018

Worcestershire Royal Hospital replied on 17 July 2018

Thank you for leaving us your feedback. We will share your kind comments with the responsible management team for the area so that they can be shared with the staff. If you require anything further you can contact us at wah-tr.PET@NHS.net or by telephone on 0300 123 1733 - please quote the reference number 34070.