Colchester General Hospital

01206 747474 Turner Road , Colchester, Essex, CO4 5JL

269 total | 81 found in Accident and emergency services Show all reviews

Lynn gray gave Accident and emergency services at Colchester General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Rushed to A&E second time in 6 weeks

I was ambulance to A&E this morning for the second time in 6 weeks. The staff are extremely efficient and helpful but above all kind. They are a credit to the hospital

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 07 February 2019

Colchester General Hospital replied on 07 February 2019

Thank you for your kind words, I will make sure they are passed onto the team in A&E and I know they will be thrilled to see how they had such a positive impact on your care and overall experience.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Colchester General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Attended A&E on 08/02/19.

Staff professional, competent, friendly, reassuring, offered a comprehensive assessment, proceedures explained. No delays and from start to finish it took 3 hours.
Please congratulate staff on duty.
Thank you.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 09 February 2019

Colchester General Hospital replied on 11 February 2019

Thank you for leaving your kind words, I will make sure they are passed onto the A&E team. Many thanks

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Colchester General Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Horrible place to have to visit!!!!!!

Attended A&E recently, not because I wanted to but at the insistent of my GP.
Waiting times are horrendous, cold waiting area, no water available, the list could go on and on.
Once I finally saw a Doctor I was totally amazed how Rude, abrupt and disrespectful he was!!!
I fully understand it’s a busy place,but it’s no fun having to sit and wait hours, 4 to be exact and then to be spoken to has if I was an inconvenience.
I did come across a very kind male nurse,who was just as busy as the Doctors, who took time to explain things to me in a polite positive way.
I just hope I do not have to attend this place again.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 10 January 2019

Colchester General Hospital replied on 11 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments and I am sorry that the experience was not as expected, I will make sure that your comments are passed on the team in A&E for their attention. If you would like us to look into this further please give me a call on 01473 702101 at your convenience. Many thanks Steve Bruce - Patient Experience Team

Visit to Children's A&E and follow up care

We visited A&E with our young daughter following advise from 111. She had live chicken pox but was displaying some very worrying symptoms, seemingly unconnected to the chicken pox. We were treated with complete respect, and respect for the other patients, considering she was infectious. We were segregated immediately and kept up to date with the progress of her care. Staff were considerate to our needs as very worried parents and always informative about what the plan was.
After seeing the lovely paediatric doctor, we were informed what the treatment plan was, and offered a follow up appointment to review her progress.
We left feeling reassured that we knew what was happening to our daughter, and why.

The follow up appointment was also top class. We went to the Children's Assessment Unit and were again treated with time, patience and respect, seeing the same doctor who we had seen in A&E. Having not made enough progress, the treatment plan was continued and a further review booked in.

From the lovely nurse at the booking in desk at A&E to the paediatrician who was able to reassure us, all the staff we met in our visits were brilliant. We're pleased to say that our daughter has now made a full recovery because of the care she has received. Thank you!

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 24 January 2019

Colchester General Hospital replied on 24 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I have passed on your comments to the teams concerned who will be thrilled to see how the information, care and reassurance they gave you about your daughters condition had such a positive impact on the overall experience for all concerned. I am pleased to hear that your daughter has made a full recovery. Many thanks

keith richardson gave Accident and emergency services at Colchester General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

heart failure

having felt very poorly on wed 23rd in the evening I visited my gp practice thursday morning where the nurse called paramedics who were brilliant, they took me to Colchester general into resus, again the nurses and doctors were fantastic, I was moved to the heart ward and looked after by the nursing staff the rest of the day and into the next morning, my heart rate was fluctulating wildly and going as low as 26 and it was decided to fit a pacemaker. On the Friday mid morning I was wheeled into a small theatre and a pacemaker fitted. Again magnificent body of people. So from seeing the practice nurse to having a pacemaker fitted ONE day, if I paid 1 million pounds the quality of care could not have been better, I have nothing but praise for the NHS in general and Colchester hospital in particular.
if I was an American I would call them awesome

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 31 January 2019

Colchester General Hospital replied on 07 February 2019

Thank you for your kind words, I will make sure they are passed onto the teams concerned with your care and treatment. I hope you are continuing to make a good recovery. Many thanks

I would like to thank the team at Colchester a and E Department who took such good care of my daughter Sunday evening (2nd December). The department was extremely busy, so much so that many parents had to sit on the floor in the waiting room. My only complaint was that the seating was inadequate that evening. Some parents commented that the vending machines were all empty. However , the staff were friendly, polite ,respectful and treated my daughter efficiently and professionally. I thought that the treatment that we got was excellent. I am a staff member at the hospital, and I’m proud to say I work here.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 03 December 2018

Colchester General Hospital replied on 12 December 2018

Thank you for leaving your kind words regarding your daughters treatment in A&E. I am sorry that you may have had to sit on the floor and the vending machines were empty. It is great to heat that the care your daughter received great care and I hope that she is making a good recovery. Many thanks

Visit to A&E

Visited A&E due spraining my ankle and was not sure whether it was fractured. The receptionist and nurse were really helpful and informative, however the doctor lacked empathy and understanding and said that he thought I should be brought in wheelchair if I am iusing an A&E - it was an arrogant comment. I think some medical staff could benefit from further trainings to enhance their people skills and to move away from medical model of treatment and instead using holistic approach. Doctors Please make sure you listen to your patient because one day you are going to be a patient yourself!!!

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 14 December 2018

Colchester General Hospital replied on 24 December 2018

Thank you for leaving your comments and I am sorry that the care you received was not as expected from everyone who came into contact with. I have passed your comments onto the A&E team for their attention. Many thanks

Sue gave Accident and emergency services at Colchester General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E

My husband had ECG done two weeks before Christmas the GP told him to go A&E for a second opinion. When we go there it was a Friday about 1 o’clock we saw a lovely lady on the desk who was very helpful. But before that when we was waiting to be see a lady was shouting at her the staff member told her politely to sit down. Anyway he got to see the doctor he had to have blood test etc after he was told to go and sit outside waiting for his results. Then the same lady who was shouting her partner went up to the desk and was really shouting at this staff member who politely told him to sit down and he will be see. I have worked with the public all my life but your staff needs a glass protector on that desk we are living in a age people can do anything that desk is to open it’s not fair on those ladies who sit there day after day without nothing. First time in the A&E from doctor’s to the nurses and the desk staff it was brilliant experience very caring very professional. But please reconsider about your lovely ladies on that desk because they are the first port of call to the public.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 01 January 2019

Colchester General Hospital replied on 02 January 2019

Thank you for leaving your comments, it is great to hear about the care you received and how the staff were caring and professional. I have passed all your comments onto the team in A&E who will be thrilled to read them. I have also forwarded your comments onto the security advisor for his attention regarding the reception staff. Many thanks.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Colchester General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Exemplary Care

My daughter was admitted to EAU for 2 days severely I'll with Sepsis, Gastroenteritis and Pneumonia. As an ex nurse I can say that the care she received was excellent, they did everything they could and should have done and more to ensure she recovered. I cannot fault her care and she had all the correct treatments and investigations. All staff were very attentive and polite and explained everything fully to us. It is amazing considering the huge strain the NHS is under as the department was packed with acutely ill patients. The only fault was that the cleanliness of the hospital is not the best and needs improving. Please pass on our deep gratitude to the dedicated staff who cared for her.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 28 November 2018

Colchester General Hospital replied on 12 December 2018

Thank you letting us know about the care and treatment your daughter received at Colchester hospital. It is great to hear that the information and care you all received has had such a positive impact and I hope your daughter is continuing to make a swift recovery. Many thanks

A&E great experience

I had a ‘bad turn’ whilst working as a volunteer guide. Within a short time I ended up in the resuscitation Ward where l received so much care and reassurement - in particular from the staff from the Stroke Unit..everything was explained to me and it ensured that my experience was not in any way an anxious time. Thankyou to you all.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 29 November 2018

Colchester General Hospital replied on 07 December 2018

Many thanks for your comments regarding your treatment in A&E and the Stroke Unit, I will make sure that your comments are passed on to the teams concerned. Thank you