West Cumberland Hospital

01946 693181 Homewood, Hensingham , Whitehaven, CA28 8JG

Darryl Torney gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Care & Attention

On the 5/10/17 I had an osteotomy performed on my left knee, I would like to congratulate the surgeon & team in the theater they made the experience more comfortable with there witty comments which made me feel more easy & relaxed. After recuperation I was moved to ward 1, I would like to thank a member of staff for their care, attention and professionalism in what I can only say was a very comfortable experience considering my operation, 5 stars all round for cleanliness, care & attention, information given and general pleasantness.
The only complaint is no fault of your own, but being addmited to hospital for any procedures I don't agree with the cost & having to pay for TV which is for comfort of patients.
All in all very comfortable experience, would definatly reccomend to anyone, makes me more confident about having to get my right knee done,.
Thank you keep up the Good work.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 07 October 2017

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Christine Jones gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

High Tibial Osteotomy knee Surgery

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all corncerned in my recent knee surgery. From the Day surgical staff who looked after me and booked me in, especially my Surgeon and the theatre team who where all lovely, recovery and the day and night staff on ward 1a everyone was very friendly and nothing was a bother. Also the two lovely people who helped my husband with the wheel chair with a mind of its own on my departure. Having my own room to recover in was also a huge bonus meant I could have the window open for some fresh air. Thank you all

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 29 September 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 02 October 2017

Dear Christine
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust. I am really pleased you had such a positive experience in both Day Surgery and Ward 1.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the single room beneficial and the care from staff not only positive but to be a high standard.
All of the staff, including those behind the scenes, work really hard to provide a continuity of care and they will be delighted with your feedback.
Your comments demonstrate the whole team approach to care where everyone has a part to play in the patient’s journey.
I hope you are continuing to improve at home.
Best regards,
Patient experience

Cath gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

visit to A+E

Recent visit to A+E and i couldn't believe how brilliant all the team were
From reception to triage,doctor to nurse absolutely outstanding
Keep up the good work you are all a credit to the NHS and Whitehaven

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 13 October 2017

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Dupytrens procedure + A&E visit

I was back after 7 years for a repeat dupytrens operation. What a huge improvement the new building is to the old. I was in the day care unit for most of the day prior to my op late afternoon. After the op I was transfered to 1a for an overnight stay. The whole experience was very pleasant, individual room on both wards. All the staff on both wards were excellent including the orthopaedic outpatient team. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hospital.
More recently my wife was admitted to A&E spending 3 nights in the AEU ward. Once again the care and attention she received was excellent and the new wards make your stay more relaxing. We couldn't ask for anything better. Thank you to everone for the care we received.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 07 October 2017

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Barbara Leckie gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 1a

During my 3 day stay on ward 1a following a knee operation, I feel it's important to acknowledge the exemplary care I received from all members of staff.
Everything from the nursing care, support, food, friendliness and cheerful attitudes made my admission a success.
I would also like to say a huge thank you to the doctor and their theatre staff who immediately put me at ease.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 17 August 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 21 August 2017

Dear Barbara,
Thank you so much for taking the time to give our staff in theatre and Ward 1 this lovely feedback.
I am very pleased that you received exemplary care and found the staff supportive.
We know that they work incredibly hard and they will be pleased to hear that this is recognised and appreciated by patients.
With best wishes

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day Surgery Patient

A very professional treatment service in a modern clean environment

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 30 August 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 31 August 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience of your care and treatment at West Cumberland Hospital.
I will ensure that you review is shared with the Day Surgery and Orthopaedic teams involved.
With best wishes

S Tweedie gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Stay in ward 1c

I have recently spent 10days in ward 1c at the bedside of a critically ill patient who unfortunately passed away. He received the best treatment imaginable always treated with so much compassion and dignity. In addition the staff who were always so busy found time to look after me and other family members. I cannot praise them enough for all their kindness. One night I stayed all night and was provided with a reclining chair for sleeping on and during the night I saw how the same excellent level of care was given to the patient. One night I left at 1am and was asked to ring the ward to let them know I had arrived home safely.
I cannot thank the staff enough for the cups of tea, pieces of toast and bowls of soup they provided me with to ensure I stayed ok. This hospital must have the best staff in the country and I will forever be so grateful to them.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 02 September 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 04 September 2017

Please accept our condolences at this sad time, we are sorry to hear about the death of your loved one. Serious illness can be very difficult to deal with and I am glad that you and the family found some comfort from the care and compassion shown on Ward 1 at West Cumberland Hospital.
I will forward your kind comments to the ward teams involved who will appreciate that you have taken the time to thank them.
With our sincere condolences to all the family
Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

8 day stay medical ward 2

Just wanted to Thank Distington Ambulance crew, AE dept, AEU ward medical ward 2 for exceptional care of my husband. From beginning to end the NHS did not fail us. Thankful for the ambulance crew for listening to our directions and not sat navigation. Every member of staff was welcoming, and did their best for the patients. His disease, is not that common but was accommodated by the talented staff that we have in whitehaven hospital. Our hospital have knowledgeable staff and resources to assist them in treating patients, and who liason with other hospitals for 2nd opinions. His diagnosis and treatment were well coordinated from admitting Dr's and nurses to pulminary nurse specialist and pulminary consultant. Thank you for listening to the patients views and adjusting treatment. My husband's care plan was closely monitored and tweaked to give him the best outcome. Thank you all nhs whitehaven for doing a difficult job, with patience, sincerity, and humanity. Without you the staff the NHS would not exist.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 10 September 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 12 September 2017

Thank you for sharing details of your husband’s recent stay at West Cumberland Hospital.
It must have been a stressful time for you both whilst the doctors liaised with other hospitals to confirm a care plan.
I am delighted to hear that you found this multidisciplinary care to be knowledgeable and that the staff were not only welcoming, that they listened to you, but, also showed your husband patience and sincerity.
I am very pleased that this was a positive experience and I shall ensure your comments are passed to the teams involved. I am sure the staff will be delighted to hear how they made you both feel.
Best wishes to you and to your husband for his continued recovery.
Patient Experience

Lynne Davidson gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gallbladder removal

3 days ago had my gallbladder removed and from arriving to leaving the same day I was put at ease by the nurses and theatre staff all of whom were lovely. I would certainly recommend this hospital to everyone

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 06 August 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 07 August 2017

Dear Lynne,
Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive comment on NHS Choices about your recent admission for gallbladder surgery at West Cumberland Hospital.
I will pass your comments to Sister and Matron as I am sure they will be delighted to share your feedback with the teams involved.
All of our staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your comments.
With best wishes for your continued recovery,
Patient Experience

Angela Cliffe gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Visit to A&E

Thursday 10th August 2017 I unfortunately had a fall, whilst out walking. I damaged my left wrist and had cause to visit the A&E Department at this hospital, which is local to where I live. I would just like to say how impressed I was with how quickly and efficiently I was dealt with! We hear so much negativity about our NHS Service that I feel that it is important to give credit where it is due. I am unable to provide the names of the staff who dealt with me as I was feeling a little shaken and didn't make a note of them. But a big thank you to you all!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 11 August 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 16 August 2017

Dear Angela,
I am so sorry that your walk resulted in an fall but thank you very much for taking the time to write to us with your positive review of our services.
I am very pleased to hear that you received such kind and compassionate care from the staff in Accident & Emergency on the 10th August 2017.
I shall pass your kind comments to Matron so that she can share them with the team who will be delighted to know that you appreciated the care that they provide.
I hope your wrist is healing well.
Best wishes,