The James Cook University Hospital

01642 850850 Marton Road , Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW

Steve Blackman gave General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care and attention.

My wife was admitted to ward 25 to the on 3rd Oct to have surgery on her shoulder. The care and attention was exemplary from start to finish. All the staff from nursing, auxiliary, catering and house keeping were a joy and should be complimented. Please pass on our sincere thanks to everyone on ward 25. Thank you.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 05 October 2017

South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your story.
I am delighted that you have had such a positive experience with the Trust and it is always rewarding to hear stories of how our staff are delivering care and support to patients when they need it most.
I will happily pass your feedback on to the relevant department. If you would like me to pass this on to specific staff members I will need some further details as the information you have given here has been anonymised. If you would like to provide further detail please can I ask you to get in touch via our email address: stees.compliments@nhs.net or by phone on 0800 028 2451 and I will be happy to help you further.
Chloe Holmes - Patient Experience Administration Assistant

Nigel sherwood gave General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent

Admitted as a day patient for a hernia operation . From initial contact with the receptionist to leaving the unit I have nothing but the highest praise for all who looked after me . Their professionalism (and good humour) shone through, making the experience so much more bearable . Thank you .

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 18 October 2017

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Absolutely disgusted

I came into a&e and because I had took a overdose they told me I was next to be seen by the sphyc at 2am all my bloods came back they came back at 3:30 am still no mental health tea I was told if I let the hospital the police would bring me back was took to ward 37 and dumped in a chair even tho I explained I have sever back problems i had to sleep in the all night which obviously i went to sleep i took a overdose of sleeping pills. I'm still sat hear at 8:30 the next morning and now my son has missed his morning medication which are controlled drugs and my son is disabled so he can't take them himself and if he goes to collage with out them he will be kicked out and he has only been there a week. I was told if I left I would be returned by the police!!!! This is absolutely disgusting even tho I've got my community mental health nurse coming tomorrow to see me.
Something better be done if I was to go home nothing would of happened my ex partner was staying.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 19 September 2017

South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 September 2017

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to share the story of your experience with the Trust.
We welcome the opportunity to look into your concerns with A&E at the James Cook Hospital. If you would like us to do so please make contact with our PALS team on 0800 028 2451 or via stees.pals@nhs.net. One of our PALS Officers will be able to provide more information on the next steps we can take.
Thank you again for sharing your story with us.
Kind Regards,
Chloe Holmes - Patient Experience Administration Assistant

Anonymous gave Plastic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

World-class hospital

My son recently had an op. He was cared for so well at every stage. The staff were brilliant and we couldn't have had better treatment anywhere.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 25 September 2017

South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 September 2017

Chloe Holmes - Patient Experience Administration Assistant

Polly. gave Ear, Nose & Throat at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

How fortunate are we!

I had a consultation in the ENT dept this am. I was treated in a kindly and professional manner, and the consultant was gentle and explained my condition so thoroughly that it allayed all of my fears. The staff are a credit to James Cook Hospital being efficient yet pleasant despite being so busy. They are obviously happy people in this department. We are so fortunate to have a hospital of this calibre in "the north" Thankyou for your care.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 07 September 2017

South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 September 2017

Dear Polly,
Thank you for taking the time to share your story.
I will happily pass your feedback on to the ENT department. If you would like me to pass this on to specific staff members I will need some further details as the information you have given here has been anonymised. If you would like to provide further detail please can I ask you to get in touch via our email address: stees.compliments@nhs.net or by phone on 0800 028 2451 and I will be happy to help you further.
Chloe Holmes - Patient Experience Administration Assistant

Kelsey gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Labour Experience

I have gave birth at James Cook twice. July 2016 and August 2017. feel comfortable and made to feel very at home there. I couldn't have felt anymore supported. Both times I was kept in my delivery room till I was discharged later the same day. The midwives were amazing, I felt safe. I couldn't thank them enough.

On my second labour, I did have a few personal issues afterwards which I did email the delivery suite manager. I was amazed at how quickly they responded. They took the time to listen to what I had to say, addressed the issues, took time to call me personally and give me explanations and answer my emails after. They let me know that what I had to say was important to them. I couldn't have been more grateful and thankfulI. My opinion and experience mattered and they wanted to make sure I was happy with their explanations, which I was.

I feel very fortunate to live close by to James Cook hospital. Furthermore, during my second pregnancy I needed to go for reduced movement. I felt like I was overreacting and going to bother them however as soon as I called I was invited straight in. I was put straight on the monitor. The midwives generally made me feel a priority. I was checked on regularly and they had the time to listen to me. They didn't want me to leave until I personally was happy with my baby's movements. I went back the next day as I still felt unsure, they got me straight back on the monitors and also got me in for a scan more or less straight away after being monitored again. I felt reassured and that they actually cared. They didn't fob me off like I thought they would. in fact they didn't want to leave until I was happy. I knew I could call anytime if I was concerned.

I would highly recommend anyone who is thinking of choosing James Cook to welcome their baby in the world.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 13 September 2017

Chloe Holmes, Administrative Receptionist, South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 September 2017

Dear Kelsey,
Thank you for taking the time to share your story.
I will happily pass your feedback on to the relevant department. If you would like me to pass this on to specific staff members I will need some further details as the information you have given here has been anonymised. If you would like to provide further detail please can I ask you to get in touch via our email address: stees.compliments@nhs.net or by phone on 0800 0282451 and I will be happy to help you further.

Keri gave Gynaecology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My expirence in the colposcopy department

I arrived at the colposcopy department today and was greeted by a nice receptionist who was friendly and thorough checked all of my details and was very helpful.

I was then taken for my appointment by the specailist colposcopy nurse who was absoluetly amazing throughout my appointment they put me at ease answered all of my questions and explained the procedure thoroughly.

During the procedure alison the nurse and their assistant both maintained my dignity explained what they where doing as they did it. The assistant held my hand during the procedure and made sure i was okay. I am grateful to both the team they where fantasic and made an expierence that i was not looking forward to a lot more bearable. Discharge advice and helplines given for aftercare. Please pass my thanks on to the team really good service

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 17 August 2017

South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 August 2017

Dear Keri,
Thank you for taking the time to share your story.
I will happily pass your feedback on to Colposcopy department. If you would like me to pass this on to specific staff members I will need some further details as the information you have given here has been anonymised. If you would like to provide further detail please can I ask you to get in touch via our email address: stees.compliments@nhs.net or by phone on 0800 028 2451 and I will be happy to help you further.
Chloe Holmes - Patient Experience Administration Assistant

Bastet2015 gave Orthopaedics at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic spinal consultants, terrible layout and parking.

I rate the hospital as terrible, but the staff as five stars.

I need to give a bit of background information about North Tees before reviewing James Cook, as it's important to know why I actually swapped.

I was the victim of medical negligence at North Tees Hospital. 5 months after submitting my complaints, I have yet to have a single formal response. Basically, the consultant could not be bothered to help me with a spinal injury dating back to 2004 & they discharged me knowing I was in agony & virtually immobile. As I'd expressed concerns about a discectomy they were due to perform, the consultant cancelled my surgery, stating that it would not help me (when they'd previously told me it would & I'd signed consent forms & had pre-assessment). Every time I visited the same consultant, they'd contradict what they'd previously told me. The main examples are offering me surgery, then telling me surgery won't help me when I question the success rates. Another example is telling me on 3 different occasions that my groin pain is due to a compressed part of the sciatic nerve, then telling me it isn't & never investigating why it hurts there. The only reason they cancelled the surgery is because I expressed concerns about the op, & the consultant was too worried about complications & potential complaints from me if they messed up.

I therefore asked to be referred to James Cook. I visited 22 August 2017. The spinal surgeon at James Cook was absolutely brilliant. Very polite, professional & helpful.

The surgeon at James Cook offered me 3 options which North Tees failed to offer, but which they most definitely should have offered.

James Cook's consultant offered me a nerve root blocker injection to try & ease the back/sciatic nerve pain. They offered me scans of my hips, stating that groin pain's often down to hip problems. Finally, they offered me the same surgery that North Tees 1st offered me but reneged upon, if the nerve root blocker does not succeed.

After 13 years of agony & constant mistakes & negligence at North Tees, I have a renewed sense of hope that I might have a chance of finally being mobile again & not having to take Morphine like Smarties anymore. I finally feel positive.

Even if the treatments fail, at least James Cook Hospital tried, rather than fobbing me off like North Tees. The treatment at the 2 hospitals were complete polar opposites of each other.

James Cook Hospital itself is a nightmare. The hospital is gigantic, but the available parking is appalling. No matter the day or time, the car parks are always full. Disabled bays are few & far between & taken by people who do not display a Blue Badge. I had to walk 20 mins to get to the department & 20 mins back, with a spinal injury as we had to park miles away. People park outside of bays, anywhere they can, because of a woefully inadequate amount of parking. Then you are charged for the privilege of having to park 40 mins round trip away!

This results in stress & pain!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 24 August 2017

South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 August 2017

Dear Bastet2015,
We welcome the opportunity to look into your concerns with James Cook Hospital. If you would like us to do so please make contact with our PALS team on 0800 0282451 or via stees.pals@nhs.net. One of our PALS Officers will be able to provide more information on the next steps we can take.
Thank you again for sharing your story with us.
Kind Regards,
Chloe Holmes - Patient Experience Administration Assistant

Della gave Orthopaedics at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My operation.

I would like to thank all the staff that looked after me on ward 36 and 25 and All the operating staff and surgeon. From being admitted to leaving i am happy to say i was well looked after. Made me feel at ease before my op and comfortable after. Staff work their back side off to make sure i and the other patients that were on my ward were in the best of hands. I can not thank them enough. As for the staff in the operating theatre, what a smashing bunch, made all my concerns fade away and they were true to their word when i raised my concerns before and after my knee operation. They all had a sense of humour even when they are ran of their feet and always made time for you. I was in for 24 hours and in that time i am exceptionally happy with my care. I would like for this message to be passed on so they all know how grateful i am. Last but least i met some new injuried friends on both wards which i went to say goodbye to, one lady was 90 yrs old and was smiling i came back to say my farewells. Again Thank you. Della

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 26 July 2017

South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 July 2017

Dear Della,
Thank you for taking the time to share your story. I hope you are recovering well.
I will happily pass your feedback on to the relevant departments. If you would like me to pass this on to specific staff members I will need some further details as the information you have given here has been anonymised. If you would like to provide further detail please can I ask you to get in touch via our email address: stees.compliments@nhs.net or by phone on 0800 0282451 and I will be happy to help you further.

barrett1 reviewed The James Cook University Hospital

all the staff in the unit were so caring

I had a Colonoscope procedure and I was quite nervous but all the staff in the unit were so caring and the doctor was very informative throughout thank you so much.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 09 July 2017 using Care Opinion

South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 25 July 2017

Dear barrett1,
Thank you for taking the time to share your story.
I will happily pass your feedback on to Endoscopy Unit, however if you would like me to pass it on to specific staff members I will need some further details. If you would like to provide further detail please can I ask you to get in touch via our email address: stees.compliments@nhs.net or by phone on 0800 0282451 and I will be happy to help you further.