Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital

01438 314333 Howlands, Howlands , Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, AL7 4HQ

Jt gave Urgent care centre at Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Rubbish care and rude staff

The process is very unclear in regards to the queues. I have been waiting for nearly 5 hrs with a 4 yr old kid for an injury he has. No empathy from staff, rude every time you ask about waiting times.
People have come after me and gone before me, when questioned. No good explaination.
No way to determine which patients will see gp and which will see urgent care go.
Do not go this urgent care..

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 03 November 2017

Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital replied on 03 November 2017

Thank you for your review Jt. We're very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the service provided at our urgent care centre. We'll make sure your comments are shared with senior members of the team.

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Out of hours GP service badly run

Had appointment for 16:30 to see a doctor after going through NHS 111.

Been here 2.5 hrs. No idea when the doctor will see me. The day shift doctor left at 6pm. They are currently waiting for a replacement.

I would recommend to go anywhere expect here to see a doctor.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 05 November 2017

Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital replied on 05 November 2017

Thank you for your review. We're sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the service. The NHS 111 and out-of-hours GP service aren't managed by our Trust - but we're happy to share your feedback with Herts Urgent Care.

Anonymous gave Radiology at Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Annoying person at main entrance

I have recently attended several appointments at the QEII and can say that I am very pleased with the efficient service and all appointments have been on-time.

But unfortunately I have to report that visits to the QEII I have been met by a very annoying person at the main front doors trying to recruit me into a children’s charity that I have not heard about and quickly asked me for my bank details etc of which I refused to give. I am an elderly lady and I found this very annoying and nervous and a cheek to ask me for these details so that I can be entered into some lottery.

The person was very persistent when I tried to go and was in a hurry. I am not sure that they should be promoting this charity within an NHS establishment?

Also I must report that some of the seats (yellow) in the xray/radiology department are very grubby and stained and do smell of urine.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 06 November 2017

Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital replied on 06 November 2017

Many thanks for getting in touch - although we don't manage the hospital, we will pass your thanks on to the radiology team for you. But also we'll make sure that your comments about this charity worker is fed back to the company that runs the hospital.

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Urgent Care - staff great; effective time management needed

I turned up with my 2 year old son at the urgent care centre at 7pm on Monday night. He had fallen down the stairs that had resulted in a cut above the eye which kept bleeding and needed to be cleaned and glued together.

It was heaving, the reception area / waiting area was jam packed.

Now before I start, I want to say that the staff were professional and polite and when we were eventually seen - they were brilliant. It was immediately apparent that there just wasn't enough staff to get through the patients.

We arrived at the Urgent Care Centre at 7pm. We were called to the triage desk at about 9pm.

My son was actually treated at 01:15 in the morning, which took about 5 mins. A pretty simple procedure of cleaning the wound and gluing the cut together.

It was plainly clear that my son had a fairly minor injury, he did not have concussion and he had not vomited - the nurse could confirm this, as he had been running around reception for 4 hours before he fell asleep at 11pm. He did not have a serious head injury - if I thought he had, I would've gone straight to the Lister hospital.

There were clearly people there that had much more complicated injuries, people that needed Xrays to see if it was a break. They were being seen but then needed to wait for the results

My main gripe is that the policy is to see patients in turn so my 2 yr old son had to wait behind all these much more complicated injuries who had to wait to get x rays back and then get treated. Surely, common sense would say that whilst, these more complicated injuries are waiting for their results to come back, someone could fix my child and then we could leave and get back home.

The time management should be assessed. Surely sorting out the minor injuries whilst you are waiting for the results to come back on the more complex cases would be the best solution

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 08 November 2017

Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital replied on 08 November 2017

Thanks for the feedback, which we will share with the clinical team who manage this service. If you would like them to discuss your experience with you directly, then please email us at generalenquiries.enh-tr@nhs.net so that they can understand more about what happened and why.

3 hour delay for appointment

After being sent to the QE2 by the 111 service, I was given an appointment time to be seen.

I arrived at the hospital and was told that they were running 1 hour behind.

This hour became a 3 hour delay, stretching into the early hours of the morning.

It doesn’t make sense to give people appointments, if you’re not able to make them event remotely close to the time.

Be honest, and don’t promise what you cannot deliver!

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 11 November 2017

Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital has not yet replied.

Lizbeth gave Haematology at Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Unfriendly experience bit upsetting

I visited the pathology department with my elderly Mum for blood tests. I have to be with her to help her with walking as she is disabled and could easily fall. She sufferers from chronic pain as well I had been worried and rushing around bacause she had been really poorly. I drove to pick her up and take her, we chose the QE11 because the parking is easier with someone who is disabled although the Lister is much closer to her. She was also having an xray to check her lungs because of shortage of breath and to check if there was a return of cancer. I find Hospitals a very stressful place to visit as I have lost my Dad when I was young and My Step Dad not long ago to cancer and it brings back bad memories. But I make the effort to go with my Mum to giver her support.
The receptionist on duty before 1.30 p.m. Was very abrupt and serious. I gave them my Mum's paperwork. The receptionist complained that this was for an xray. The other sheet of paper was underneath, but they didn't take a second to look. but I couldn't read it because I need reading glasses. Unfortunately for me I made a suggestion that they could smile which was a huge mistake. The receptionist accused me of being rude to them. The receptionist spoke in a really loud voice and said they would have me removed because they had a policy of zero tolerance there. I said that they were being rude to me. I then just went on to try to explain that I didn't have my reading glasses on and handed the paperwork to Mum. Whilst I was explaining they shouted through me and said again about zero tolerance and removing me. I then said that I wasn't swearing. Everybody in the room was then looking at me. The receptionist made it look like I had tried to attack them. I felt like bursting into tears I honestly don't know why the staff behave in this way to patients, perhaps they had been previously threatened or was under extreme stress them-self. I perhaps should not have said anything in retrospect. But was a bit concerned that they might have me removed. I am over 50 and suffer from a spinal condition myself, so hardly a threat, and needed to help my Elderly Mum. Although if they had been friendly and had smiled and been more understanding about paperwork this would not have happened. What has happened to putting people at ease. We went on to the xray deparment were the staff were lovely and Mum was seen quickly. Then came back later to pathology because of the hour wait. There was a different person on duty who was fine. Generally everything else went smoothly the volunteers at the door are really helpful. It will take me a while to forget this experience. Next time I will not speak! This probably sounds petty but it really upset me although I tried to laugh if off after for the sake of my Mum.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 14 November 2017

Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital replied on 14 November 2017

Thank you for your review Lizbeth. We're sorry to hear about your experience at reception, but we're glad that you and your mum's visit went a bit more smoothly after. We would like a few more details from yourself, so that we can make sure your review is shared with senior members of the relevant teams. If you're happy for us to do that, please get in touch by emailing generalenquiries.enh-tr@nhs.net.

Anonymous gave Neurology at Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Can never speak to a human

I was referred to neurophysiology specialist who was very good and professional but my review is based on the attempt to get the results of the tests. I was told it would be a week. It is now two weeks and I can't get to speak to anyone. It may seem petty but to me as a diabetic with cancer and issues around mobility, this is pretty fundamental.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 09 November 2017

Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital replied on 09 November 2017

We’re sorry that you’ve had these problems but the reason you can’t get through to anyone is because the team visits the New QEII, it is not based there. Email us at Generalenquiries.enh-tr@nhs.net with all the details and we will make sure that you are contacted with the results - it’s the least we can do.

Brenda Thomas gave Radiology at Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visit to radiology for an ultrasound and an x-ray

I visited the Radiology Department this morning. The reception staff were helpful and pleasant. The senior radiologist responsible for my ultrasound scan was extremely caring and informative, explained exactly what was going on and helped me to make a decision during the process. They arranged for my x-ray to be done while I was waiting for my scan to be repeated. The radiologist who did my x-ray had a very pleasant manner and put me at my ease.
I was assured that the care I received today is 'normal' and that I wasn't getting any 'special' treatment. I'm sure that's the case, and I would like to thank everyone involved in my visit today for making it as 'painless' and stress-free as possible.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 02 October 2017

Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital replied on 02 October 2017

Thank you for getting in touch Brenda. We're very pleased to hear you had a great experience of our radiology services at the hospital. We'll share your feedback with the team, who will be pleased to hear from you.

Karl gave Surgery - Breast at Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Breast cancer results

Absolutely appalled by the service received from the staff at this hospital, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer a week ago, they have the results but refuse to give us them without an appointment, but yet they can’t give us an appointment date, staff member on the reception was extremely rude and all they did was their utmost to get us off the phone. Extremely angry with the level of care received.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 05 October 2017

Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital replied on 05 October 2017

Thank you for your review Karl. We're very sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your wife's experience at the hospital. We're keen to look into this for the both of you, but we'll need more details (including your wife's name, date of birth and address). Could you email us those details at generalenquiries.enh-tr@nhs.net?

GK gave Haematology at Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Phlebotomy

Very pleasant staff but life would be so much easier for everyone if there was a ticketing system so that patients knew where they were in the queue and could visit the loo or go for a stroll without worrying about missing their slot. It would also save staff having to go on a hunt for 'missing' patients! Other hospitals have a ticketing system, why not the QEII?

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 15 October 2017

Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital replied on 15 October 2017

Thanks for the feedback- we believe that the team is looking at a range of options to address this very issue - so watch this space....