Crawley Hospital

01293 600300 West Green Drive , Crawley, West Sussex, RH11 7DH

lk2017 reviewed Crawley Hospital

day surgery operation - Crawley hospital

Everyone worked as fast as possible and I was grateful for the care I received. However, I was told by East Surrey to bring my partner with me for emotional support during the procedure, but when I arrived at Crawley, we were told that he would not be allowed in the room with me, so he had to wait outside for several hours. The communication between East Surrey and Crawley should be much clearer- I think this would be an easy thing to get right. The receptionist simply said East Surrey aren't very good at passing on the information, which wasn't a particularly helpful comment.
At Crawley, It was also unclear when I was initially called in, whether I would see my husband again before the operation. I thought I would, but I was not allowed out again- so making this clear would be better - it would have been a better experience if we had both known this.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 02 December 2017 using Care Opinion

Ward Manager, Crawley Surgical Short Stay Unit, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 04 December 2017

Dear lk2017,
I am sorry to hear of the experience you had with us, and am concerned about the communication issues you encountered. I would very much like to look into this further for you, so that we can prevent this happening again.
Would you be able to contact me at [Julia.spindler@sash.nhs.uk](mailto:Julia.spindler@sash.nhs.uk) with some more details?
I hope you are recovering well.
Many thanks.
Julia Spindler

Anonymous gave Crawley Hospital a rating of 5 stars

CT Scan

Had a 9:20 appointment brcause of traffic and appalling parking availabilty was 5 minutrs late. Still seen within 5 minutrs of checkong in.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 28 November 2017

Radiology Operations Manager, Diagnostic Imaging, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 28 November 2017

Thank you for your feedback regarding your scan appointment. I am sorry you had problems parking but happy that we fulfilled your expectations and completed the scan with no problems. I will feedback your positive comments to the team.
Many thanks

130 reviewed Crawley Hospital

Inefficient appointment system

I had no idea that an appointment had been made for me until I received a reminder by text message.
I did, however, subsequently receive a letter 3 days later postmarked the previous day about this appointment which was for 2 days previously. We are constantly being bombarded with the information that missed appointments cost the NHS vast sums of money & that the appointment could have been given to somebody else. I feel that the administration of this appointment could have been managed so much more efficiently.
Upon arrival, I was informed that the consultant was running approximately 1.5 hours behind because his first patient had overrun his allocated time. If the consultant's first appointment was 09:00 and there were 6 people in front of me how much time is allowed for each patient? I understand that there are sometimes emergencies which should take precedence, however, no such explanation was offered.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 03 October 2017 using Care Opinion

Lynda Filby, Matron, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 04 October 2017

Dear 130,
We are really sorry to read of your concerns regarding your ophthalmology appointment. We would be more than happy to look into this for you. If you wish us to this please can you contact our Service Manager on [christopher.treloar@nhs.net](mailto:christopher.treloar@nhs.net).
Lynda Filby
Matron for Surgery

Junifer reviewed Crawley Hospital

Cataract eye op

My appointment time was 12 noon and I was greeted and checked in on time. However, the actual op didn't take place until about 4. 30pm. Had I have known the wait was that long I would have brought some food with me as by that time I really was hungry. I had not brought money with me so was unable to purchase food. The hospital staff were very kind and caring and the op went well. A big "thank you" to all concerned.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 08 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Ward Manager, Crawley Surgical Short Stay Unit, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 25 September 2017

Dear Junifer,
Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us, and for your kind 'thank you.' I apologise that you felt poorly advised as to wait times. The time you are asked to come in for your appointment is not the time you will have your surgery undertaken. All the patients are asked to come in at a certain time so that they may be admitted and seen by the surgeon and/or anaesthetist. This also gives time for the appropriate drops and pellets to be administered to dilate your eye prior to your operation. This way, the surgeon can see all of her patients and then remain in the theatre for the entirety of the list. This maximises the use of the list for the Trust. I do appreciate that it can mean a long and uncomfortable wait for you. I will contact the Ophthalmic Pre-Assessment Team and ask that they reiterate this with patients as they see them.
I do hope that you have recovered well from the cataract procedure, and thank you again for your commendation of the staff looking after you. I will ensure they are aware of your gratitude.
With kind regards
Julia

Saraband reviewed Crawley Hospital

Excellent care received

I was at Crawley Hospital in short-stay surgical unit and all the staff with whom I came into contact couldn't have been kinder or more attentive.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 29 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Ward Manager, Crawley Surgical Short Stay Unit, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 29 September 2017

Dear Saraband,
many thanks for taking the time to post such a lovely comment about your visit to us here at Crawley Surgical Short Stay Unit. I will ensure your comment is communicated with all the staff here.
We wish you a speedy recovery,
Julia

Kulficat reviewed Crawley Hospital

Not listened to

I had an Hysteroscopy to see if I had a polyp as I have very heavy periods. Before the procedure the consultant advised having a Mirena fitted. I explained that I did not need a contraceptive, I have read about side effects that I am not happy about and I did not want something inside me for five years.
I asked about other ways to stop heavy bleeding but was told this was the best option. I did say I would stick to having to take tranexamic as this is only needed when I am bleeding.
Twice before the procedure the consultant advised me to have a Mirena fitted and then after the procedure they told me twice more to go to the doctors to get it fitted. It seemed as if they were a sales consultant rather than a medical consultant!
It was only two days before the procedure that I had read an article from asking why are GP’s so keen to push the Mirena contraceptive onto people? ! If I hadn’t have been prepared for this I would have probably come out of there with a Mirena that I would not have been happy with. I feel like the consultant did not respect my wishes what so ever.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 28 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Bill Kilvington, Assistant Director for Women and Children's, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 29 September 2017

Dear Kulficat,I am sorry that you are unhappy with the outcome of your consultation and the advice given. Please do contact Julia as if necessary she can arrange an appointment with another consultant for a second opinion.
However, I wanted to re-assure you that the use of a Mirena coil for very heavy periods is often best practice as a first line pharmaceutical treatment.
It is of course entirely your choice which method of treatment you opt for and only you and your consultant can know the details of your own condition, but I do want to point you towards the clinical evidence about the use of Mirena for heavy menstrual bleeding (HMB).
Firstly, there is a very helpful leaflet published by the British Fibroid Trust and this can be found on-line here http://www.britishfibroidtrust.org.uk/Factfiles/Mirena_BFT_A4_Factfile_1.pdf
Secondly, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence provides advice for patients with your condition.
If you click on the page link for drug treatments you will see that the first treatment to consider is the Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system. This is a Mirena coil.
As I have stated, only you can decide what is the best treatment for yourself, but I did want to ensure that you have access to authoritative clinical advice.
Whichever course of treatment you opt for, I hope that you achieve the relief of your symptoms that you are seeking.
Best wishes
Bill Kilvington
Associate Director - Women and Child Health

Anonymous gave Crawley Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Emergency Dental Clinic

From the moment I made my telephone call to the emergency dental clinic to the end of my appointment the staff could not have been more helpful and professional.
The receptionist who took my call was calm, informative and reassuring.
I was given an appointment and directions how to get to the clinic etc.
On arrival the hospital was very clean and well signposted to the clinic.
The receptionist was taking calls every few minutes but took time to greet me and give me a form to fill in.
Was seen on time by a very gentle caring dentist who explained everything well and gave me a prescription for antibiotics.
What a great service and how lucky we are to have it on our doorstep!

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 29 September 2017

Crawley Hospital has not yet replied.

Kittenmum gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Crawley Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Total waste of time

I visited the outpatient department this morning for an ent apt.
I have been told that I have chronic sinusitis in the past already undergone surgery and extensive treatment.
Today I was spoken to like I was stupid and I didn't know what I was talking about.
I had already been seen in another clinic with a view to having more surgery to correct the nasal septum which has moved over to one side causing pain and discharge from the nose.
According to the consultant I had the misfortune of seeing today told me the pain, thick green smelly mucus and the swelling I have had up to 8 times a year is nothing more than a headache.
My gp has no right to diagnose it as sinusitis and the other ent clinic I went to are not qualified enough to discuss treatment options with me.
I left the room in tears today as I went with an open mind for help and advice, I left feeling that I had been ignored. The consultant refused to even let me speak putting their hand upto me and rolling his eyes.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 01 August 2017

Jamie Moore, Divisional Chief Nurse for Surgery, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 02 August 2017

Dear Kittenmum, I am sorry that your experience at your ENT consultation was not as expected and this was clearly distressing for you. Please will you forward you contact details to: [Sarah.MayhewHinder@sash.nhs.uk](mailto:Sarah.MayhewHinder@sash.nhs.uk) in order for us to investigate and offer you another appointment with the Consultant Clinical Lead for ENT.
Many thanks
Jamie Moore

Anonymous gave at Crawley Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hardly noticed I had an op

This was the first time I have ever had surgery of any kind, or general anaesthetic. The staff were all wonderful and the whole thing worked like a well oiled machine. Would especially commend the anaethetist who did a fantastic job.

The surgeon who performed the operation was very friendly, informative and gave me great confidence.
Would say they certainly made sure I understood the risks and their likelyhood as well.

Am now reclining in bed at home some eight hours after, absolutely zero pain, unless I move too much, then very little. No pain killers needed yet but will watch carefully.

Many thanks to all Crawley day unit. You're a great team.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 18 July 2017

Ward Manager, Crawley Surgical Short Stay Unit, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 17 August 2017

Dear Anonymous,
Thank you for your kind words. We aim to make our patients feel like individuals, and give them tailored care whilst they are with us. We're a close team who enjoy working together and we're always happy to receive feedback.
I will ensure that the team here at Crawley see your Care Opinion.
We all hope that you are continuing to recover well.
With kind regards
Julia Spindler

Flora gave Haematology at Crawley Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Poor communication and no empathy by nurses.

I am visiting every 4 weeks the hospital to take my medication intravenous.The previous visit was on 12/06/2017 and today I found out there is new protocol to follow of how we get the medication but I was given the least information.I was only told they weigh the patients but nothing else.
The head of nurse who had to check my medication half way through they approached me with no empathy and a pretendetious care.
I have an experience of hospitals and nurses and I have to say I have been treated like I'm a person without feelings and the nurses forget humans are not always comfortable with hospitals even been visiting over 10 years.
It is sad to say that you have to complain so you don't get treated the same way like all patients as everybody is different.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 10 July 2017

Patient Experience Lead, Patient Experience Team, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 14 July 2017

Dear Flora,
I am sorry to hear that your recent appointment was not handled well by our staff. This is not what we would expect and would like to look into the circumstances in more detail. Stories posted on Care Opinion are anonymous and so for us to do this we need to you contact our senior sister in the outpatient department at Crawley hospital.
Please email her: clare.mckale@sash.nhs.uk and she will follow this up.
With best wishes,