University of Sterling dementia care project
Our Dementia Care Champion Tracey Coombs is currently supporting 4 of our Field Care Supervisors and 2 Care Staff through a City and Guilds accredited course in Best Practice in dementia care.
The course involves completing a set of six self study booklets containing questions and each month attending a group discussion workshop which is run by Tracey to support each member as well as reflective practice.
The course is aimed to help people think about how to provide the best care for people with dementia in their own home covering a variety of topics including:
- How to exhibit a greater understanding of dementia and its impact on the individual.
- How to engage in reflective evaluation of caring interventions and change practice accordingly.
- How to implement a person-centred approach to care.
- How to demonstrate a more expansive use of communication skills when interacting with and understanding the needs of people with dementia.
- Be able to recognise the role of the carer / family, their needs and possible support networks.
Last updated on 01 March 2013.
Back to top