Bolton NHS Foundation Trust

01204 390390 The Royal Bolton Hospital, Minerva Road, Farnworth , Bolton, Lancashire, BL4 0JR

Anonymous gave Bolton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Care from a nurse on F3

My son, who I may add is in severe pain was sworn at by a nurse when he asked for his pain medication

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 25 August 2017

Bolton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 August 2017

We are very sorry that you have raised concerns regarding the attitude and behaviour of our staff. We take these comments very seriously, therefore if you would like to discuss this in further detail please contact Matron Liz Patel on 01204 390390 and ask for bleep 5369 or Lianne Robinson, Divisional Nurse Director on 01204 390390 ext 5366.

Tony Smyth gave Bolton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Quality service and compassionate nursing.

Last Thursday 20th July 2017 I attended the DCU for a Cardioversion.
I wish to place on record my sincere thanks to all the Procedure and Nursing staff who attended to me.
Their professionalism and compassion was excellent.
I was very apprehensive about my visit but they made me feel at ease.
Due to their excellent care I am now recovering from my procedure and am looking forward to better health in future.
Thank You.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 24 July 2017

Bolton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 25 July 2017

Hello Tony, thanks for posting this. It is good to know you are recovering from the procedure and we wish you well for the future.

Rozina salim gave Bolton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Patency test- not happy with it only being done on one day

I have tried to book a appointment at the radiology department for a patency test and as the letter says you should ring to book an appointment on the first day of your cycle which I followed. My cycle lasts for 7 days and the person said we only do the test on a Thursday which meant I would still be on my period on that day. As it has to be done within 10 day of the start of your cycle, I was told I would have to wait until next month if I'm still on my period. If my cycle is regular, it would start on the exact same day every month so It could maybe take me a very long time before I could get the test done. I would have to hope my cycle is irregular for me to get the test done. I think this is poor service especially when a lot of people have regular periods. No flexibility for patients at all. This is really distressing as I have been trying to get pregnant for a while and even went through an ectopic in that period so for me to be told I just have to hope my cycle lands on a different day is totally ridiculous. Even then I may not be able to do it as they only do them tests on a Thursday. I would not recommend anyone to go to Bolton hospital for a patency test as you may have to wait a very very long time due to inflexibility for patients there!! I have nothing against the service provided by staff there as they have always provided excellent service for every test I have had to do. But this last test before my final consultation has hit a roadblock. This needs to change not just myself but for all patients.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 24 July 2017

Bolton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 25 July 2017

Dear Ms Salim,
In general terms women should not have to wait a long time for this test so I’m sorry to hear of your experience and I think there may have been some confusion. I’d like to discuss this with you so that we can clarify the situation and rectify matters – please call me on the number below. Sister Tina Gundlach- Clare, Manager, Women's Health Care 01204 390486

Anonymous gave at Bolton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Breast screaming and follow up

I have been today for a follow up appointment after having a mammagram. The staff at the breast unit are attentive, caring and very professional. They talked me through the ultra sound and then a byopsy. I was perifid. The nurses and doctors were so helpful. And kept me calm all the way trough the procedure. Thank you all for making a unpleasant situation as calm and plesent as possible.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 09 January 2017

Bolton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 January 2017

So pleased to hear that our staff were able to help. thanks for posting.

Anonymous gave Bolton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

A&E dept Bolton Hospital

We visited the dept on the 12/12 approx 7pm as a result of my father in law being unable to communicate fully due to a diabetic condition. Due to a lack of ambulances my son drove him to the hospital and as a result of him obviously being in a panic due to Charles condition ( we thought he had had a stroke ) the staff who attended to him immediately were excellent simple as that. Within 3 hours he was back to normal and we were given the all clear shortly after midnight. On arrival the hospital appeared under immense pressure to deal with walk in and ambulance brought patients but everybody we dealt with was professional and caring. As a retired police officer I am used to seeing A&E depts extremely busy but I have to say Monday evening was unbelievably so. Special mention to the young Doctor who treated Charles over the 5 hours we were there, they were superb. Maybe our Politicians should attend when the hospitals are at full capacity like this to see how staff cope with the obvious demand for their services.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 13 December 2016

Bolton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 December 2016

We appreciate your comments which will be passed to the staff in the department. It is indeed very busy in A and E, so your remarks will be very welcome. We are pleased to hear your father was treated well and wish you all the best.

alanh reviewed Bolton NHS Foundation Trust

Very Good Service

Attended A&E this morning with accidental facial scalding. Was seen by triarge nurse within 5 minutes and treated by nurse practitioner within another 30 minutes. Nurse contacted Wythenshaw burns unit about my injuries and arranged for an appointment with them as soon as they could see me which would be the next day. As Wythenshaw advised against dressing the wound, the nurse practitioner cleaned the wound and gave me sterile wipes and pain killers to use until I was seen by specialist burns doctor. All staff were very sympathetic, efficient and helpful.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 09 November 2016

Bolton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 November 2016

We're pleased to hear that your treatment was efficient and our staff were sympathetic and helpful. We hope you are making good progress after your accident.

leecromp reviewed Bolton NHS Foundation Trust

Not such an emergency

Arrived at A/E by ambulance after having a mini-stroke, then sent home again by doctor after being given a dose of aspirin.
was told they would send for me in a couple of days to investigate further.
I limped back to the A/E waiting room after symptoms got worse, spent almost a week in salford royal.
Stroke is supposed to be a medical emergency, i should have been kept in and monitored overnight not sent home.
Symptoms of stroke are frightening and traumatic, and investigations need to be made straight away not in a couple of days.
complete disgrace not happy with you bolton.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 26 October 2016

Bolton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 November 2016

Thank you for your comment. Your concern is difficult to answer fully without being aware of your individual case. However in general any patient who presents with symptoms of a mini stroke (also known as a Transient Ischaemic Attack (TIA)) are risk assessed using an ABCD2 score which looks at blood pressure, symptoms and symptom duration. Patients who have an ABCD2 score of 3 or less are classed as low risk and are referred to clinic within seven days. Patients with an ABCD2 score of 4-5 would be seen in clinic within 48 hours.
However you commented that your symptoms worsened so I am not sure whether your symptoms actually resolved and then returned.
In order for us to discuss your individual case please contact Tracey Garde on 01204 390390 extension 3726

Anonymous gave Bolton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Sexual Health Clinic

I had a negative experience having my contraceptive implant removed. As soon as I sat down I was immediately talked down to and the doctor made many assumptions about my situation: I was told that it was a bad idea, I was young and didn't want to get pregnant in the near future (I'm in my 20s, what if I do?), and that there was no reason to have it removed if I wasn't experiencing negative side effects. What should have been a simple procedure and and an open conversation, turned into me feeling backed into a corner and forced to explain myself on what is a very personal decision. I felt judged and do not want people, especially those younger than me accessing contraception for the first time, going here and being treated like that. Doctors, particularly in this department, need to be open minded, calm and non-judgemental in their approach. I will say that the nurses here have always been fantastic and I've had better treatment in the past, so I'm hoping this was an isolated incident. Regardless I will go elsewhere in future.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 11 November 2016

Bolton NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Bolton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

First appointment after assessment

Attended first appointment and found that my child felt uncomfortable throughout the appointment. Was very quiet and it started to feel really awkward. I felt awkward when trying to explain our situation. Lack of understanding and the outcome plan very immature for age of my child. My child felt as if he was totally misunderstood. We had waited 6 months for this first appointment. I then made another appointment. I was unable to keep this appointment the month later due to my son needing emergency dental appointment that fell on the same day. I then rang to cancel and re arrange the appointment. I was unable to re arrange as I couldn't make the times given. So I then told the receptionist that I would ring back to re arrange as I work shifts. I then received a letter saying that I had not been in contact and I had. I then rang to make the appointment and I was told I had missed the deadline by a day so I had to go back to see my doctor and wait another 6 months. I had rang regularly and spoke to reception to negotiate a date and I wasn't given a chance. I don't know how people who are employed manage this. I was sent a rewards chart for the age of a year 3 child to complete previously to this. My son is nearly 13 and is unable to function in main stream school. A desperate situation with no solution. Feel totally let down by this service especially after all the meetings with professionals at school etc and having to take my son out of main stream school due to total lack of support. It's like my son doesn't matter.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 26 August 2016

Bolton NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Rach x gave Bolton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Best treatment ever...

After poor treatment over the past few years from the NHS I aimed to avoid hospital for my upcoming birth. Opting for a homebirth until my body had different ideas so hospital became my only option. From entering the hospital I was treated with the most passion and respect and most importantly empathy. My midwife was fantastic, kept me well informed and at ease and comfortable, they respected all my wishes and did everything they possibly could to make my birth as pleasant as it could be. The Dr's I saw were also informative and again showed so much empathy. Nothing was too much trouble for any member of staff. Once transferred to main ward, again, treated fantastically. Not a single bad word to say about the Maternity departments, incredible!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 14 April 2016

Bolton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 April 2016

Dear Rach, we're so pleased we've been able to give you a positive experience and appreciate you taking the time to let us know. Many thanks.