Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust

01273 696955 Royal Sussex County Hospital, Eastern Road , Brighton, East Sussex, BN2 5BE

Roger Kenward gave Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

eurosurgery consultant

This morning I had a consultation with a consultant from the Dept of Neurosurgery. Over the last decade I have had very many consultations in about half a dozen clinical areas and I have to say without doubt this was the most excellent session I have ever experienced in the hospital. The clinician was friendly, carried out thorough investigations with me, set out various options for further treatment, explained to me a proposed monitoring schedule, and finally while I was still in clinic dictated explicit instructions to the Hove Polyclinic regarding a programme of treatment. Further to this I was the last patient to be seen after a long morning of other patients had been treated. I know the Trust has had many brickbat in the past few years but if my experience this morning, a truly Gold Standard can be replicated the Trust will soon be awarded and excellent rating.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 14 September 2018

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 17 September 2018

Dear Roger

Thank you so much fro taking the time to contact us, I will ensure that your feedback is shared with staff who I know will be most grateful.

With best wishes

Head of Patient Experience, PALS & Complaints

Anonymous gave Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent surgeon

The surgeon did a wonderful job when she operated on my hand. She was very professional & produced a brilliant result. She was the best, 10 out of 10!

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 05 July 2018

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 05 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your visit in May, I will ensure that this is shared with the orthopedic team.

Head of Patient Experience, PALS & Complaints

Colette gave Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding Breast Cancer Team

Following a 'run of the mill' Mammogram, I was recently admitted to Hurstwood Park Surgical ward for a mastectomy. Having initially attended for further investigations at The Park Centre for Breast Care in Brighton.

Staff at the Park Centre provide the best care any patient could receive. I was treated with the utmost respect and kindness and given all the time necessary to ensure I was well informed about my diagnosis and treatment.

I was obviously apprehensive about my planned surgery and even more worried about my longer term prognosis. Everyone did all they could to offer reassurance with clear and concise guidance about what to expect.

The staff within the Nuclear Medicine Department at the PRH are so empathetic and highly professional. A procedure for an isotope injection - which I had dreaded - was undertaken with minimal discomfort and unswerving kindness.

Staff in the surgical ward, theatre staff, and those in recovery are equally attentive. Their gentle humour really helped to ease my nerves.

My whole experience was so impressive. I feel a debt of gratitude to every member of the Breast Care team, from the student nurse to the Consultant Clinicians and the wonderful surgeon as well as those ladies in the Discharge ward!

My recovery has been rapid. From the moment I returned to the ward following surgery, I had no pain and continued to be pain free without any pain relief medication throughout.

My wound drain was removed after six days, I was able to drive after three weeks and at no time have I felt "unwell". Family and friends remain amazed at how well the entire procedure has gone and with my recovery.

Within days after surgery, although taking things a little easier than usual, I returned to my usual routine, running my home, caring for my Grandchilden. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the truly outstanding care offered by the Park Centre for Breast Care and the Princess Royal Hospital.

Anyone with a diagnosis which requires a mastectomy could not be in better hands. Huge thanks to all.

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 21 May 2018

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 01 June 2018

Dear Colette

Thank you so much for your email, I was so pleased to learn that you had such a positive experience at what I am sure, was a worrying time for you.

I will, of course, share this message with the staff who were involved with your care, I know they will be most grateful that you have taken the time contact us.

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all the best for your ongoing recovery.

With warm wishes
Jane Carmody, Head of Patient Experience, PALS

Colonoscopy procedure - Endoscopy Department

I attended the RSCH on 27.02.18. for removal of polyps with snow falling heavily outside. The procedure was a success. The Doctor was so kind and efficient and the nurses were brilliant - putting me at my ease and being very comforting. The young man taking blood prior to the procedure was very gentle and kind. I would like to thank the Consultant for her care and consideration. A marvellous team.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 03 March 2018

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 05 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to contact us following your procedure, I will ensure that your kind words are shared with the team, who I know ill be most grateful.

I hope you are recovering well at home now.

Best wishes

Head of Patient Experience, Complaints & PALS

A grateful thanks

my cousin had a number of medical conditions which meant that she had to make a number of day visits for treatment and in patient care. She was always full of praise for the treatment she received and I would like to praise the staff of Albion War for her final careand a grateful thanks to the bereavement Office.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 09 January 2018

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 10 January 2018

Thank you so much for your feedback about the care your cousin received at our hospital. I will, of course, share your kind words with staff from Albion ward and the Bereavement Office, who I know will be deeply touched that you have written to commend them at a time of great sadness for you.

With best wishes
Head of Patient Experience, PALS and Complaints

Ian Taylor gave at Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Emerald ward

My 86 year old mum was recently admitted to emerald ward after suffering a broken hip & pneumonia, she was there for approximately 2 weeks before she passed away.. the staff were amazing, care was second to none & cannot praise them highly enough.. they cared for my mum with kindness, patience & compassion, couldn’t have asked for more.. thank you so much ..

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 09 November 2017

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 09 November 2017

Thank you, very much, for your kind and thoughtful feedback about your mother's care at our hospital. Clinical expertise and experience go without saying but kindness and compassion can never be overstated. I will, of course, share your kind words with the Emerald ward team, who I know will be touched by your message and pleased that their care made such a difference at what must have been a very difficult time for you all.

Head of Patient Experience, PALS and Complaints

Anonymous gave Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Pre op assement.

To start with the multi story car park is a joke not enough spaces, parking bays to close together, then very poor signage from car park into building, once inside building again very poor signage, most of the staff rude and unhelpfull, often giving wrong information, ie sent to a department for some tests only to be told these tests need to be done closer to the operation time, so it means another visit to that hospital, some staff tried to blame the wrong information on the building work going on, don't belive this the stsff just don't care.
Keep away from this hospital at all costs.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 07 September 2017

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 13 October 2017

I was very sorry to learn of your poor experience at our hospital and appreciate how frustrating this must have been for you.

Please do contact our PALS team either by telephone: 01273 664511 or by email: PALS@bsuh.nhs.uk if it would be helpful to further discuss any of the issues raised

Head of Patient Experience, PALS and Complaints

Anonymous gave at Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

To say a big thank you to all the staff at the Emerald Ward.

I would like to say a heartfelt thanks to all the staff including the doctors who have been looking after my friend Frank. when ever I visited the ward , I was made to feel welcome and usually offered a cup of tea. I was very impressed by how diligent and conscientious all the staff are and the extra work they do , well beyond their call of duty. Thank you once again for all the marvellous work you are doing.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 19 September 2017

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 20 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your very kind words regarding the care provided to your friend on Emerald ward. I will, of course, share your thanks with the team involved in his care - feedback such as yours is always greatly appreciated by our staff.

zie reviewed Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust

Brilliant Surgeon Scary lack of facilities and bed capacity

Decompression of spine Operation at last taken place 9 oct 6 months after recommendation by Hurstwood Park neuro surgeon. First date cancelled sent home 19 sept whilst in waiting room for bed on the day. Recommended for op by neurosurgeon on 26 /4 2017.

The neurosurgeon was most excellent as was the theatre staff team. Communication from this department was direct clear and respectful at all times instilling a feeling of safety and confidence.

However the constant mixed messages misinformation and chaos within the pre op admission and bed availability department was not conducive to creating trust and confidence in the wider team process. Communication between the departments was poor to the point of being frightening. Whist in the waiting area with other hopeful patients waiting for a 50% chance of a bed for 4 hours I observed a steady stream of staff from differing departments turning up asking and looking for lost ?? patients to conduct yet another pre op procedure that 50% would not go ahead.

After the bed availability manager arrived within the waiting room to say no bed yet available my daughter left to feed the meter and get a drink When The Theatre staff arrived unexpectedly to take me down to op. still no bed ..My daughter not being told where I was despite my request for staff to phone them on site. Finally the waiting room patients told them I had been taken down for surgery.

Again I say that the theatre staff nuerosurgeon registra and procedure did much to instill a sense of trust.

However after surgery on arriving in The ward it was again chaotic very noisy with blazing lights flashing into my face and eyes all night from the toilet door opening all night opposite. Where I developed a severe migraine. The bed mattress I was lying on was damaged beyond belief with a vast well in the centre just at the point where my spine op needed most support.

My discharge the day after op although very welcome was unexpected I had been told 3 days in hospital and I had much to do within the stress of trying to connect by phone and find someway of getting home and home support on recovery none being offered by hospital . Or my home area being Kent . Finally I managed to contact my daughter 3 1/2 hour drive away to collect me where I was transported at night wedged in with pillows on the back seat of a truck not being able to sit at the time.

In summation no I would never recommend anyone to have op or procedure at the Brighton Site. despite my having being blessed by the care skill and attention of a very talented and dedicated surgeon and theatre team.

Haywards Heath staff are in a very different league as are the Hove Polyclinic staff and team excellent..Why oh Why are the operations and interventions not conducted at Haywards Heath anymore and When is the Hove Polyclinic going to be ready for this??

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 24 October 2017

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 24 October 2017

Thank you for your feedback and for your very kind words about the surgical team involved in your care.

I was, however, very sorry to learn of the events you describe during your admission and would very much like to discuss these with you in more detail. if this is something that you would find useful please do contact our PALS team either by email: pals@bsuh.nhs.uk or by telephone on 01273 664511

Head of Patient Experience, PALS and Complaints

Jane Groom gave Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

A&E

Sunday the 13 of August I spent in A&E for the fist time . We had been to Fierl vintage fair
Where collapsed and had a fit , this has never happened before . We arrived about 8-30 pm .Although we were there till just gone 1 am we were seen quickly .
All the staff , Nurses , HCAs and Drs I saw made me and my family very at ease . They were extremely thorough and did every thing possible to make me comfortable .
If I ever happen to be in that area again and in need of medical attion I would not hesitate to use your hospital again . I hope your departments get to here of these thanks as I'm sure you know people are always ready to complain but not always to sing there praises. Once again a very big thank you for looking after me .
Kind regards Jane Groom and family

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 14 August 2017

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 16 August 2017

Dear Jane

Thank you for taking the time to contact us following your attendance to our Emergency Department. I was sorry to learn of your worrying experience, but was so please to learn that your time at our hospital was made comfortable for you. I will ensure that you comments are shared the team who I know ill be most grateful to read this.

Wishing you and your family well.

Hannah Pacifico