East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust

01254 263555 Royal Blackburn Hospital, Haslingden Road , Blackburn, Lancashire, BB2 3HH

Robert O'Hara gave East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Friends and Family Test

In Day Surgery Unit and found the experience very good.
The premises were clean, the staff were friendly and communitive.
The care and treatment were excellent

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 26 August 2017

East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 29 August 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Surgical Day Care Unit, and thank you for taking the time to do so.
It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the care provided by the staff and that you were treated with the greatest dignity and respect. I will ensure your comments and thanks are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
If you would like to provide us with further information about your experience then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and using our services. You can either contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Slow service!!!

Waited More than 7 hours in the A&E department to be seen. No clear indication on how long the doctors would take. The staff seem clueless and don't know what is going on.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 09 July 2017

East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 25 August 2017

Apologies for the delay in responding to your comment made on the NHS Choices website. Unfortunately your comments were originally logged against Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust, and the NHS Choices moderators did not publish the comment or inform East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust until 23/08/2017.

Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to the Emergency Department and thank you for taking the time to do so.
I am extremely sorry to hear of your recent experience and will ensure that your comments are fed back to the senior staff for the Emergency Department.
If you would like us to look into the matter in further detail please can you contact the Patient Experience Team either by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk or you can contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471.
Or if you prefer you can discuss further any concerns you may have about our services with our East Lancashire Hospitals Trust Customer Relations team on 01254 733700 or complaints@elht.nhs.uk who can advise you of your options in raising these concerns further.
If you would like to share your experience in confidence with an independent organisation please contact Healthwatch BwD on 01254 504985 or info@healthwatchblackburnwithdarwen.co.uk

Andrew harrison gave East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Opthalmology department my review

No waiting at all . straight into sight test more or less10minutes from when I arrived.around 10mins later had fields test.20mins or so later got consultation with specialist. 1problem is toilets not at hand to use.very helpful staff took me down as needed there help to take me in hospital wheelchair. May have only been around10mins to see consultant specialist as I wasn't near the consultants room time I was using the toilet. All in all staff were 100%helpful and friendly. Thanks to all. At the eye clinic.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 05 July 2017

East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 25 August 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the eye clinic, and thank you for taking the time to do so.

Aidan Griffin gave East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Inadequate out of hours cover in A&E

I arrived at Royal Blackburn A&E at 7.30pm on Monday 10th July and as I sit here writing this review at 6.45am on Tuesday 11th July still waiting to be seen I have just discovered there is only one Emergency Medicine Consultant who has been working through the night. If I had known this and given how busy the department was when I arrived I may have tried to make alternative plans.

So after a sleepless evening and still with no indication as to when I will be seen by an appropriate Clinician I can only say I am simply appalled by the level of Consultant resource employed to cover nights for the many patients of East Lancashire.

Surely waiting times of 12 hours and over should not be tolerated in 2017!

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 11 July 2017

East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 12 July 2017

We would like to apologise for the waiting time you experienced when you attended the Emergency Department and will ensure that your comments are fed back to the senior staff for the Emergency Department.

If you would like to provide us with further information about your visit you can contact the Patient Experience Team by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk or by contacting me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087

Melissa Almond
Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

David Wright gave East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

trabeculectomy at bgh

I attended BGH ward6 on the 6th. July 2017 for the above named operation. from the start I was made to feel at ease. The ward staff could not have been more helpful. There was always someone, of various coloured uniform, to ask. The anaesthetist outlined the procedure, sedation, clearly .I was made calm during the tortuous transfer to Theatre. The operation itself was amazing. I could hear the calm conversation between the surgeon and their team but, could not feel a thing. I had a friendly chat with theatre team at the end. In the recovery ward I was given the ultimate reward Tea and Toast. No food has ever been sweeter. The follow up consultations have been excellent. I wish to put on record my thanks to the surgeon and all their team for highest quality of caring professionalism shown to me. David Wright

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 19 July 2017

East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 27 July 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent experience at Burnley General Teaching Hospital for a trabeculectomy, and thank you for taking the time to do so.
It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the care provided by the surgeon, anaesthetist, ward staff and all their team. I will ensure your comments and thanks are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Headsore man gave East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic Care

From the paramedics to the a&e doctors and nurses, porters, upto the acute ward staff have been helpful to myself and made sure my family where involved in all information regarding my treatment.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 14 July 2017

East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 25 August 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent experience, and thank you for taking the time to do so.

Anonymous gave East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

MRI department

I attended the MRI department on the 10th July 2017. I was greeted by a nurse who took down my details and seemed to be very caring. When I went into the scanner I was introduced to the choreographer who was very helpful as was the other nurse they both made me feel at ease. I would like to say a big thank you to them both

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 11 July 2017

East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 25 August 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your visit to the MRI Department on the 10th July and thank you for taking the time to do so.

Anonymous gave East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

Eye clinic, not one person told me their name. Very unfriend

I attended eye clinic today at Blackburn. I was seen pretty much on time. It was an early appointment. The receptionist was very pleasant. Shame I can't say the same for the rest of the staff. Not one person including the consultant told me their name, what happened to ' hello, my name is' not one person said good morning or hello. That includes the consultant, I had to ask the consultant who they were.
One member of staff who came in with me whilst I saw the consultant couldn't even raise a smile, even though I smiled at them.
I felt I was pushed through as fast as possible and quite frankly was a bit of a nuisance, getting in the way of the staff having a nice chat.
Sorry, but I worked at RBH for many years and I was very disappointed by the staff attitude. I thought that sort of thing disappeared years ago

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 14 June 2017

East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 15 June 2017

Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to the Eye Clinic at Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
I am extremely sorry to hear of your recent experience and will ensure that your comments are fed back to the senior staff for the Eye Clinic.

Patient Experience Facilitator

Shirley gave Cardiology at East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

My mother is in C11 now

My mother is a patient in there now and the staff on C11 are the best I could have wished for my mum is in safe and loving hands cannot fault the treatment the doctors are giving her or the nurses thank you from the bottom of my heart x

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 28 June 2017

East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 30 June 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your mothers treatment on ward C11 at the Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital, and thank you for taking the time to do so.
It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the care and treatment your mother is currently receiving from all of the staff. I will ensure your comments and thanks are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Plastic surgery at East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

Lovely staff but dissapointing treatment

My concerns relate to the clinicians. After having bloods and imaging I was seen by a surgeon.
Although very personable, their accent was quite strong and that coupled with his incredible fast rate of speech made it very difficult to understand them. I know the time pressures doctors are under but they obviously needed me out of consult ASAP. Therefore I wasn't given an opportunity to ask questions. I did however rudely interrupt once though as I did not understand their diagnosis as the imaging did not show the organ in question (and my clinical symptoms and history did not fit). I couldn't decipher their reply and there didn't seem to be any time or importance in me doing so....

In my experience, if you listen to a patients full history and symptoms and ask their opinions you can very often make the correct diagnosis (and manage their expectations, increasing their satisfaction).

Tests confirm diagnosis.

My lack of participation in my case leads me to think that my tests were diagnosed and not my body. This experience has left me quite frustrated . I have a lack of confidence in the diagnosis and in the waste of nhs time and money in doing inappropriate investigations (which incidentally had already been carried out several weeks earlier and conclusively ruled out systems being rechecked). Now at further cost i will require the appropriate imaging.

You need to listen to your patients. They are your best diagnostic tool!

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 15 April 2017

East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 18 April 2017

Thank you for your feedback regarding your treatment and thank-you for taking the time to provide this.
It is lovely to hear that you found the care you received from the staff to be lovely. However, I am sorry you were not given an opportunity to ask questions and feel you have a lack of confidence in the diagnosis. In order to bring your comments to the attention of the relevant department, I would be grateful if you could contact me to provide further details. You can either contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.
Many thanks and Best Wishes