Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust

01942 244000 The Elms, Royal Albert Edward Infirmary, Wigan Lane , Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 2NN

Anonymous gave Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Children's A&E

I attended a local walk in centre with my 1yr old child who had a 2cm blister on his foot which was a green colour with red and inflamed skin surrounding it. They advised me It was infected and would need an incision to drain it and a course of antibiotics and they were insistent I headed straight to a&e to get this done.
I waited 3hrs surrounded by vomiting children in the waiting room. My son was offered no pain relief in this time despite being clearly agitated. When a child was sick all over the floor in the waiting room they wiped it up with paper towels, no disinfectant used. I asked the nurse how much longer we would be waiting as it was midnight by this point and they said rudely that "there was no reason to be there, they wouldn't ever have brought their child to a&e for just a blister". I left went to bolton and they have dealt with it quickly and efficiently. By that time it was a 6cm area of swollen red skin where the infection was rapidly spreading. They drained the infection and put him on strong antibiotics. The staff were friendly and helpful, they treated me with compassion, professionalism and kindness. Unlike the staff at wigan who blatantly assumed I was a neurotic mum. Regardless of the fact it was a serious infection any concerned mum needs reassurance and support.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 29 September 2017

Susan Heighway, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust replied on 05 October 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience following your attendance with your child. Please get in touch with the Patient Relations Team on 01942 822376 who will be in a positon to look into your concerns on a more formal basis.

Anonymous reviewed Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust

people skills!

My mum was admitted to mau today and as I had an appointment myself at wrightington hospital I couldn't get there until late afternoon. I asked to speak with the staff nurse who was looking after her and when the nurse had finished doing what they were doing they came out to speak to me and I was greeted with no introduction from them, the nurse was very abrupt when I asked questions. I know nurses have a stressful job and are run off their feet at times but a little tact would be nice, my concerns were for my mum and I will not be spoken to like a child. I would be grateful if someone would contact me to discuss this further.
Many thanks.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 03 August 2017

Susan Heighway, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust replied on 07 September 2017

Thank you for telling us about your experience. Please contact our Patient Relations Department so that we can discuss your concerns and provide you with feedback. Our contact number is 01942 822376 or email: patient.relations@wwl.nhs.uk

Deborah McGuire gave Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Treatment

I had to visit a cardiologist today at the Thomas Linacre Centre. I can only say that the appointment was a very positive experience. I was dreading going but the cardiologist took the time to explain answers to my questions and any worries I had. The service the cardiologist gave was nothing short of excellent. They were very friendly and approachable and made me feel much better. Thank you to the cardiologist and all their staff for making my visit less stressfull.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 24 August 2017

Thank you for telling us about your recent visit to the Thomas Linacre Centre for your cardiology appointment. Your posting will be shared with all staff; I am sure your kind words will be well received by the staff, who aim to provide the highest standard of care to our patients

Teruel Numancia reviewed Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust

Wigan Cancer Care unit

My husband has just successfully completed chemotherapy at Wigan CCU + has "rung the bell"! We felt we need to say a massive thank you to all of the team at the unit. Not just for their professionalism and expertise but for their positive and uplifting manner, which has made this whole experience so much easier to bear.
Every single member has a part to play in this team + they all do so to the best of their ability.
The NHS and Wigan cancer patients are very lucky to have such dedicated people providing care + advice at a very traumatic time!

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 20 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Thank you for your posting; I will ensure your kind comments are shared with staff, who will be really pleased to hear you have had a positive patient experience, and outcome of your treatment. May I also pass on our best wishes to your husband, you and your family

Anonymous reviewed Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust

Excellent treatment but could have missed the appointment.

When will the Trust get round to changing the car parking meters ? We nearly missed my husbands appointment time because the meters in the car park on Leigh Infirmary do not take new £1 coins. We also noticed this on Thomas Linacre on a recent visit. The note on the meter said any security section could change the coins, but no indication of where the security was. Had my husband not gone off himself and left me to sort out the problem he would have been late, I had to ask a passing motorist for help. When I eventually caught up with my husband the waiting time and treatment were excellent. What a pity the visit was marred by this silly problem

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 24 July 2017

Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Cardiology Department

My daughter was in hospital yesterday.Under the care of the cardiology.I want to say thank you but saying thank you just doesn't seem enough.Your all angels and my daughter received the most wonderful care from you all.You all deserve medals and to be treated as gods.Thank you so much.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 10 May 2017

Susan Heighway, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust replied on 05 July 2017

Thank you for taking time to post your kind comments regarding the Cardiology Department. I will ensure that your feedback is shared with all staff who I am sure will feel very happy that you and your daughter have had such a positive experience.

Metal on metal hip replacement.

In following the guidelines it is unfortunate that I cannot name the surgeon involved in my treatment because they thoroughly deserve a mention for the excellent work they have undertaken. Several years ago I had metal on metal hip replacements fitted ( not at Wrightington). Following the second implant my health deteriorated badly. Nobody (apparently) thought it was related to my hips and obviously replacement was not a simple matter. It is much more complex than a regular hip operation.
At Wrightington hospital my care by all concerned has been excellent and the new hip has transformed my general health. I still clearly need the second one replacing at some point and whilst I don't want to rush back to have it done immediately I will not hesitate to use Wrightington hospital again or recommend it to others. Everything is first class particularly the quality of the surgeons. No amount of money can buy better treatment than what is provided at Wrightington.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 09 October 2017

Susan Heighway, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 October 2017

Thank you for posting your experience of the services provided to you by the Wrightington Orthopaedic teams. I will ensure that the Division of Specialist Services are made aware of this posting to share at their Governance Meetings. May I extend our best wishes to you for your continued recovery

Anonymous gave Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

Pleasant and efficient staff in Endoscopy unit

I have had several procedures in the unit as an out-patient and have always found nursing and medical staff efficient, quick and thorough. They have always been pleasant and approachable. I have recently been to the endoscopy unit at a hospital and found the opposite- dismissive staff and inefficiency - maybe they could learn from WWL!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 03 March 2017

Susan Heighway, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to highlight the services provided by WWL in our Endoscopy Unit. I am sure the staff will be pleased to know that they are held in such high esteem.

Ambulatory Assessment Area

Treated in Ambulatory Assessment Area following acute attack of asthma and breathing difficulties. The standard of care received was excellent. Was seen immediately on arriving, assessed and had tests carried out. All staff very reassuring manner and kept me informed of what to expect. Seen by consultant who arranged treatment and following this explained to me what would happen on discharge. I felt I received exceptional care from everyone on this team. very much appreciated.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 18 March 2017

Susan Heighway, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to highlight the care you received in the Ambulatory Assessment Area. It is very much appreciated and will be welcomed by the staff who work hard to ensure that patients are assessed and treated in a timely manner. Communication is very important and we were pleased that you felt fully informed of your care and further treatment plan.

bad service and extremely low cleanliness

I went to the A&E department following being advised to do so by a GP regarding severe abdominal cramps and blood in my stools . I waited with my partner for 3 hours to be called through to speak to a doctor . The doctor was rude and very inconsiderate . The doctor didn't make any eye contact with me nor did they ask permission before feeling my abdomen to examine were the pain was . A stool sample washt taken to deturmin any infection and I was told it was probably food poisoning . When I asked how the doctor had come to that conclusion his explanation was very brief and did not fit my symptoms . I was sent off with no answers as to why I had severe pain and bloody stools and was given codine and bus open for pain relief I am absolutely disgusted at the service , cleanlinesss and standards that Wigan infirmarys A&E have and suggest they investigate further with their infection control as the place is no good example of a clean hospital environment . I will never visit this A&E department again or advise it to family and friends

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 07 February 2017

Susan Heighway, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 February 2017

Thank you for your posting. We were sorry to learn of your experience and would be happy to look at this on a more formal basis if you wish to get in touch with the Patient Relations Department on 01942 822376.