Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

0151 678 5111 Arrowe Park Hospital, Arrowe Park Road, Upton , Wirral, Merseyside, CH49 5PE

Charlotte D gave at Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

Sensitive care

I was admitted for an ectopic pregnancy, which all happened very fast and was rather a shock. The staff were very good - I must mention one particular doctor who explained things more clearly than any doctor I've ever met! They really took the time to make sure we understood what would happen next and even gave us an estimate of how long the blood test results would take - which makes a huge difference when you're in limbo like that. The other doctors were similarly sensitive and explained things clearly. Nurses and HCAs were all very nice, one was particularly gentle which was what I needed. My surgeon carefully answered all my questions and never made me feel silly for asking them, and all staff were very sensitive to my situation when I got upset.

The only reason I can't give the dept five stars is the reason others have mentioned before - it is too near the maternity wards. When you have just lost a baby the last thing you want to see is posters about breastfeeding, and to enter and exit the building surrounded by pregnant women. I ended up walking the same route as I last had when in labour, which was really hard, and I had to walk past the labour ward to get out. It's hard enough to lose a pregnancy without being surrounded by posters aimed at new mums.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 13 August 2017

Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Emergency Department caring and compassionate

My mother was admitted to the ED department this week having suffered a fall. Thankfully she is very well and slept through most of the experience.

I would just like to mention that having sat with her for some hours it was truly lovely to hear staff talking to patients in such a considerate, friendly manner. All staff were extremely gentle and caring especially the porter who was assisting patients in wheelchairs and beds.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 09 June 2017

Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Julie H gave at Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service on ward 12

I have just completed a four day stay on ward 12 where I underwent a TKR under the care of the amazing staff. Nothing was too much trouble. From turning up terrified at the SEAL unit and then going to theatre feeling really calm was down to all these wonderful people. My stay on ward 12 went really well. All the staff were inspirational and went out of their way to help me. So much better than previous stays at Arrowe. The only let down was the food but I can live with that. Special thanks to the staff nurses and also the other staff. Also the physio's and OT's. You are the best team I've ever encountered and you should all be very proud. Didn't have to ask for anything. They catered for all my needs. Thank you everybody.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 06 April 2017

Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Katie gave at Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Timely but I got answers

I was transferred from the walk in centre at APH to thr SAU within 2 hours of attending. I was sat in the waiting room for about an hour while 2 before me were seen. I was Clerked by a very friendly practitioner and was back in the waiting room for about another hour, by this time more patients had arrived. I was seen by a DR and a Junior DR i believe.
Both very friendly and reassuring, I was very upset and in pain. They assured they would do all they could for me and to not worry. I was then sent for an Xray chest/abdomen and pelvis and came straight back. About another hour passed and they said they were arranging an Ultrasound If i stayed overnight id probably be done Monday (It was saturday evening) as only emergencies are fitted in at weekends unless on the small chance they could fit me in Sunday but that was unlikely. I understood this and they said they could give me an appointment for Monday morning. I chose this option so not to waste a hospital bed and they gave me a change in medication to help.

I attended back post Ultrasound as arranged and saw the consultant. All my tests had so far come back clear but was still in pain. The Consultant and team arranged a Colonscopy as an outpatient my appointment was within 3 weeks and they promised they wouldn't just give up. I was very happy although at the time I was distressed. They dealt with me with such compassion and friendliness. I have nothing bad to say.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 17 May 2017

Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave at Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Ward 17 - give it a miss if you can.

Awful. No communication between shifts. Need communication training as a matter of urgency. Ward Manager (??) knows nothing about their patients - only time to be seen they were on their phone. Dietary advise not followed. Unsafe to say the least!!!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 26 June 2017

Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

MargauxW gave Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care for my 95 year old Mother on ward 10

My 95 year old Mother was admitted to ward 10 following a fall that resulted in a broken hip.
As a family we couldn't ask for better care from the friendly, helpful tea trolley staff to the welcoming and caring nurses and doctors.
If you have a family member on the ward be assured that they will do all they can to reassure you.
Don't knock the NHS when you get this kind of treatment.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 01 April 2017

Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 3 stars

Outpatient appointment is going to be at least 8 weeks late.

Have been attending eye outpatent and injection clinic for several years . Cannot fault the doctors and nurses or the treatment. . There appear to be 2 problems. The first is an average wait of over an hour and a half in outpatients and at least an hour in injection clinic . The second and most important problem is the worsening appointment system . It started by me being given appointments in wrong clinic a few times. Then the difficulty getting a follow up appointment began part way through last year. Instead of being given a follow up appointment on the day they send it out ( at great expense no doubt ) one appointment was 4 weeks delayed and when I rang up the appointments staff were very unhelpful and just explained they could give me no idea when I would be seen. More recently I was given a 6 week follow up and it is now 5 weeks late. Rang up today to be told they are running at least 8 weeks late. Am meant to be having regular eye scans and decisions on whether injections are working or more needed. People including me are at risk of losing their sight if their assessments are not done when your clinic doctors request it. Why is the eye clinic appointments having so much trouble. Seems to be greeting worse too. Used to be seen monthly or at most 6 weekly. Now it's likely to be between 3 or 4 months . A relative attends the haematology clinic and are seen on time in the clinic and are given a follow up on the day . Why have 2 different appointments systems in same hospital.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 27 January 2017

Meg Williams reviewed Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

A&E department issues

Good afternoon, I have long held the view as you do that to many people use A&E when they should use other services. It seems simple to me and others I have spoken to, that, what is needed is 1, that as people arrive at A&E a medically trained person should ask the reason for the visit. 2. That if it is felt that a GP can deal with the patient, they should not even be allowed to go into the A& E department. 3. They should be sent to the out of hours department next door, where there would be 10to15 local GP's waiting to deal with these patients. 4. The GP's would be working on a rota set up by their own practice allowing each GP 8 hours a week to man the Out of Hours department as part of their working contract. .5. The patients would sit and wait to see the GP and if that is upto 4 hours, so be it. This will leave the A&E free to do what it is meant for and in so doing the staff would have less pressure. It would also mean that the people who need it will be seen quicker and not be waiting in pain while time wasters are seen. I strongly expect that many people would go home and wait for an appointment with their own GP or sort them selves out. I do not have a GP but on the very, very rare occasion that I need to see a GP I go to out of hours get sorted and move on. Often the simple solutions are the best. I am 65 and have worked as a senior manager in the care sector for 45 years and have found that to many people abuse the system because it's free. Would they go if they had to pay ? I think not. Leave the A&E for the people who need it.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 01 February 2017

Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Dennison gave at Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

excellent patient care

My Grandad was looked after by the staff on Cardiac Care Unit (ward 32) recently, and the whole family have commented that the level of care he received was outstanding. The staff were all lovely and worked tirelessly for him. We cant thank them enough for literally saving his life, at least once.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 04 June 2016

Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Susan Samuel gave Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Ward 20 post op hell

I was admitted to ward 20 after a major operation for kidney cancer. I am also a registered nurse and have previously worked for the trust for many years. Most of the staff were rude and did not have any compassion. The nursing care I received was awful and I never thought that I would become a victim to some if the things I had witnessed whilst working for the trust.

Medicine was not given as required, infection control was poor and nursing staff did not have the basic skills required even to put a drip up on me correctly.

I begged to be moved. I was moved to Park Suite and then on my return home was sent a large bill for private care. Think very carefully before agreeing to be admitted to this ward if you are not totally independent.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 02 June 2016