Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

0151 525 5980 Aintree University Hospital, Lower Lane , Liverpool, Merseyside, L9 7AL

Natalie gave Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent and efficient care in A and E

I attended A and E on 6th October with a head injury. I was seen very quickly, the waiting room was spotlessly clean, the staff were helpful and unfailingly cheerful and supportive. I was sent for a CT scan promptly and treated with respect and care throughout. The whole experience was excellent from start to finish and the only constructive feedback I would offer is that it was hard to hear your name being called with the waiting room being quite spacious. A very small gripe about an otherwise-flawless experience. Very proud of our NHS.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 12 October 2017

Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 October 2017

Hi Natalie - we're pleased to hear you had such a good experience in our hospital. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Jude reviewed Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Hospital Stay

I am very impressed with the care my Father is getting on Ward 34, the staff are excellent especially the nurse (bay 1) who is so caring and willing to go the extra mile for anyone, visitors included. The nurse is a shining example of what is so special about the NHS and I hope UHA know what a gem they have in them. Many thanks also to the League of Friends for the gifts they distributed on Fathers Day to those dads who may or may not have received gifts on a special day. So proud of our NHS!

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 18 June 2017

Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 June 2017

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your comment.

We are delighted that you had a positive experience at our hospital and that your dad is receiving good care.

Currently, the hospital is in the nomination stage of its staff awards.

We are encouraging members of the public to nominate a member of staff or a team they think deserves recognition.

The public category is 'Proud of Aintree'. Nominations close Friday 7 July.

If you would like to make a nomination please click this link: https://www.aintreehospital.nhs.uk/news-events/proud-of-aintree-excellence-awards-2017/nomination-form/

Ian gave Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Damaged ankke

On arrival we were met promptly by a nurse who came out from behind the desk as I had difficulty walking. They took my details and my wife confirmed this at the desk.As the computers were down due to a cyber attack ,the efficiency was not impacted.our whole visit from start to finish ,with blood pressure taken and X-ray and results ,boot fitted and medication was 45 minutes ,well done aintree accident and emergency,with specific thanks to the nurse who had worked for the NHS for 47 years !

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 13 May 2017

Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 15 May 2017

Hi Ian - we're delighted to hear you had such a good experience in our A&E department. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Anonymous gave Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

An Unpleasant Experience

I was submitted to ward 28 after Bimaxillary Osteotomy, Genioplasty and removal of all 3rd molars. My bladder became full and i kindly asked the nurse to take me to the toilet as i was worried about fainting. This took the nurse thirty minutes, as they continued to sit and type at their computer desk. I also required pain killers, which i asked for hours before the nurse went off shift. The nurse 'forgot' after i repeatedly asked and i was left in pain and covered in my own blood until the night nurse appeared. A domestic wrote in my chart that i had refused to eat earlier that day, which was incorrect. I had not been offered any food until 11pm that night. The following day, i was awoken by the nurse from the previous day. The nurse asked me why i haven't been eating, i replied with "I'm constipated and bloated", instead of giving me advice or medication relieving it, the nurse insisted i ate more. So, i did. I tried my best and i felt i had ate enough, but not enough by the nurse's standards and told me i wouldn't be allowed home the next day. I got incredibly upset. I insisted i go home tomorrow, because i was being forced to eat food that was starting to make me feel sick and I wasn't receiving my dose of anti-depressants because my request for it in liquid form had been 'forgotten'. That night, i vomited my anti-biotics up as soon as they hit my throat, every time i belched, i was reminded of the horrid soup i was forced to eat. The following day, i was told i needed to drink more and i'd be discharged, after drinking the amount the nurse previously said they would discharge me on. The nurse insisted i ate more, but had no intention of getting up and getting me something to eat. I was certain that if the nurse didn't discharge me, i'd discharge myself because i knew i'd receive better care at home. I repeatedly told the nurse and several others that i needed different anti-biotics because my throat gagged every time i tried to take them. Two doctors told me i no longer needed anti-biotics but the nurse insisted i had to take them. Fortunately, i was discharged that day because i made it look like i had drank more ensure than i had, which was also making me feel very sickly. As soon as i got home, i bathed to get the blood out of my hair and ate food i knew i liked and i started to recover from the awful care i had received. I also received a letter on the day of the appointment dated a day before my discharge date, i'm certain the nurse was supposed to give this to me and failed. I also don't appreciate the nicknames "lamb chop" or "little lady" the nurse used. I will not be returning to this hospital for any future procedures. I know the NHS are struggling, but it's no excuse to be ignorant.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 23 May 2017

Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 May 2017

We're sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience in our hospital. We value our patients' feedback and if you would like to take this further, you can contact our Patient Advice and Complaints team on 0151 529 3287 or by emailing complaints@aintree.nhs.uk. You can also write to:

Patient Advice and Complaints Team

Thank you.

Anonymous gave Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Maxillo Facial department

My whole experience today was good from start to finish. Everybody was helpful and thoroughly professional. I waited a minimum amount of time for my appointment and I was extremely happy with the consultation. The doctor I saw was a credit to the hospital. Very professional and giving of their time. The staff were very informative about any waiting times , which kept the patients informed about all aspects of their care.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 27 April 2017

Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 April 2017

We're delighted to hear that you had such a good experience in our hospital. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

A nurse visiting a relative

I am so impressed with the aintree staff I met today. As a nurse it can be a challenging time to visit relatives. I have only praise for the staff who I met on corridors who where happy and helpful ensuring myself and parents got in the right lift. I didn't even have to ask for help it was offered in a pleasant happy friendly manner and led to the correct way.
I visited ward 16 we wandered onto the wrong part of the ward, but the staff nurse made sure we found our relative and came with us. I was pleased to see that the nurses where with their patients, where helpful when I needed help. Yet again pleasant, helpful nothing was to much trouble. When I asked them to see another patient in the bay they came straight away and ensured that patients safety, talking to them with dignity, respect whilst ensuring they where comfortable. Well done Aintree well done ward 16! Look after your staff and they will do the rest.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 19 March 2017

Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 March 2017

christine keen gave Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

damaged hand

I called at the hospital as I damaged my hand a few weeks ago and it wasn't getting any better and was nagged by family to get it looked at. From entering the hospital I was treated politely, with respect and informed that the waiting time would be 2 hours, this was the only thing they mislead me about, by the time my coffee was cool enough to drink, I had been seen by the nurse sent for an ex ray and back to see the nurse for the results. The all the staff are a credit to our NHS service . Thank you

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 20 February 2017

Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 February 2017

Dear Christine, we're delighted to hear that you had such a good experience in our hospital. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Anonymous reviewed Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Awful, horrendous experience, I will never return here.

I attended A & E on 20/02/17 at approx 11.30pm due to extreme abdominal pain and feeling unwell. The Dr who saw me in A&E after a four hour wait was excellent and very efficient. After being diagnosed with a irriducable paraumbilical hernia I was admitted to the surgical assessment unit on 22/02/2017 at approx 3.30am where I was dealt with in a fair manner and where the above mentioned diagnosis was confirmed by the several Drs that examianed me there, and I was advised by these Drs that I required a CT Scan of the abdomin to check there was no bowel trapped in the hernia and this would be followed by emergency surgery to repair the hernia. I was admitted to ward 1 for this treatment which is where the level of treatment I recieved deteriorated to far beyond an unacceptable, unbelievable level, for many reasons. I was nil by mouth for several days for periods of time raning from 18 hours to 30 hours at a time and when I could eat there was nothing suitable available for me, despite me speaking to the ward manager, hospital chef and PALS as I am a vegan, I was offered cheese sandwiches, the one vegan meal a did receive was of questionable quality and then after ordering vegan sausages I was given meat sausages. I would wait over an hour for medication and was advised on one occasion by one nurse that because they thought I had gone off the ward for a ciggarette, which I had not that they took it upon themselves to put my anti sickness medication in the bin as they said if I was well enough to go for a ciggarete then in their opinion I wasnt ill enough to require my anti sickness medication, I explained I had not been for a smoke to which the nurse advised they would get me another set of medication, she did not and went off shift an hour and a half later without me receiving my medication. I was not the only patient this who did not receive medication after asking staff who would go off shift without administering medication and patients were advised by the the staff member that they had finished their shift, the staff would then walk of shift and say the nurse taking over will sort it out, despite the medication being due and the patient asking for it and hour and a half prior to this. Finally I had my emergency surgery on 24/02/2017 which is unacceptable. I was also told different version of my CT scan results by the various Drs who saw me.I asked for clarification Re this and for copies of my scan results to which I was refused. I explained that I am entitled to a copy of my own medical records and as I have a personl history of cancer I required this information for obvious, valid reasons. I was still refused, I left the ward on 25/02/2017 without even appology for the was I was treated, I am very upset, let down and disgusted in the treatment I received and will under no circumstances return to this hospital in the future.I do hope my comments are taken seriously and looked into and dealt with so this doesnt keep happening to people.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 26 February 2017

Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 March 2017

We are sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience in our hospital.

If you wish to take this further, our Patient Advice and Complaints team can help. You can contact them by emailing customerservice@aintree.nhs.uk, by calling 0151 529 2400 or by writing to:

Patient Advice and Complaints department

Thank you.

Kelly Baron gave at Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Extremely disappointed with how I have been treated

I was supposed to go in for surgery at the beginning of February which got cancelled because there weren't enough beds, second time I should of been in at the beginning of march, got cancelled due to an emergency. They were unable to give me a new date due to the surgeon being on annual leave. In the meantime I started to suffer extreme discomfort, unable to work and feeling very stressed and depressed. My partner rang up the hospital trying to see if there was any way she could get me in any earlier as she could see I was in pain. They some how misinterpreted what she was trying to say and between themselves cancelled my slot on the waiting list and said I had to wait to go back to clinic to see the surgeon. I have rang up and tried everything i can but no one seems to be willing to help me. I am suffering in agony and cannot go to work. I am extremely disappointed with how I have been treated, which is a shame because I have had surgery done here before and the surgeon is very good. Still suffering in this nightmare.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 18 March 2017

Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 March 2017

We are sorry to hear about the issues you've had with our hospital.

Patient Advice and Complaints department

Thank you.

ronnie mccormick gave Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Falling 50 ft My care by the hospital

My name is Ronnie McCormick 58yrs. I fell 50ft off a roof I was working on, I broke my pelvis twice,broke my arm, broke my wrist,broke my elbow,broke ten ribs,broke two vertebrae,punctured my lung,broke my leg, and punctured my spleen, I was taken to hospital unconscious by the fantastic para medics accompanied by my son, I went into surgery straight away, my surgeons who put me back together again did an amazing job, me and my family are eternally great full, I was transferred to the IC unit who looked after me in the initial 24hrs, I was then put into the Major Trauma unit, my care was amazing, my pain relief was second to none, the staff from the matron to the cleaners were extremely polite, Curtious and very helpful nothing was to much effort, I cannot do anything but salute all the amazing medics and staff, I came home they sent me to the doctor's Clinic, the doctor was always upbeat and polite, the doctor had about six plans for my recovery, they diagnosed I had frozen shoulder, which they got me an appointment it took a while but hey it's free and I do work and contribute. My shoulder has now more movement and range, my elbow still needs surgery so it can move freely, apart from that all my injuries have healed up, a lot of thanks goes to the obvious talented medics, but also to the team of physio's in the Hydro therapy Dept plus the physio's in their dept, I am still under the hospital 10 months on but getting there slowly, unfortunately the hospital is full of patients who think they are I entitlled to care straight away before the likes of me who had broken all my left hand side, I realise that other people who need there skills before me means I have to wait a little longer so be it, as the moaners moan on it could be one of there own loved ones being wheeled in another door who need more immediate attention than they do think on, I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all your skills and Love cheers Ronnie

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 19 October 2017

Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 October 2017

Hi Ronnie,

Thank you for taking the time to send us this message.

We are delighted you had a positive experience at our hospital and are glad to here you are improving.