Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust

020 3758 2000 Royal Free Hospital, Pond Street , London, NW3 2QG

Varsha reviewed Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust

Liver Transplant patient

I was flown in to the hospital from Caribbean when I was taken ill cruising the islands. I was in hospital for good over two months prior and post operation. Doctors and nursing staff in Royal Free ICU and 10N were excellent in every way. I have been back with infections since then on several occasions. Each time I find the staff to be hard working and very caring. I am forever greatful to them for making my stay in hospital easier and comfortable each time.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 31 July 2017

Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 August 2017

Dear Varsha

Thank you for leaving your review; I am sorry your holiday was cut short through illness and hope you get the chance again to cruise the Caribbean. We are lucky to employ such great staff in ICU and 10N and they will be chuffed to bits to read your review. Knowing they made your stay easier and comfortable will be enough for them to know they have made a real difference.

With Best Wishes

Anonymous reviewed Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust

Gall bladder

Went to online booking to book appointment at Edgware Hospital .Got text on the 31st of July stating I am the waiting list for urgent appointment. Tried to find out how long the list is as I have severe pain a lot of the time and I am a carer so may not always be able to get A&e.
Nobody can seem to tell me.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 31 August 2017

Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 September 2017

Hello

Thank you for getting in contact through NHS Choices, I am sorry to read the difficulties you are facing and ask you contact one of the staff in PALS who are very helpful and used to dealing with queries such as yours. They can be contacted on 020 8216 4924 or emailed at bcfpals@nhs.net explain the problems you have faced and mention you have been on NHS Choices and was advised to contact them

Anonymous reviewed Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust

Gallbladder

I did contact Pals at the Royal Free , I was told that Edgware Community Hospital was not under the Royal Free. I replied back that it was , Then got a reply stating they were contacting someone to find out what is happening to my referring/appointment .I have still not heard anything . I contacted Barnet Hospital pals , they gave me the booking office phone number. I phoned them they told me they have nothing to do with it.
It seems to me they are more confused than anybody else.
What is the health service coming to ? It just seem to be getting a second rate service

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 02 September 2017

Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust replied on 03 September 2017

Hello

I am most sorry for the situation you are in; I would like to take this up personally and would ask that you email me your details so I can make enquiries. If you are happy with me looking into this for you please email me at richardchester@nhs.net.

With Best Wishes

Richard Chester –deputy director of patient experience

Sophie reviewed Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust

Wiaiting for nearly two weeks for urgent test results

I have been waiting for nearly two weeks for blood test results to come back to see if I have croans or colitis. And the wait is awful. It said 7 to 10 days and it's been longer. Don't go here as you wait
Is
Awful.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 07 June 2017

Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 June 2017

Dear Sophie

Thank you for leaving a review and raising this through NHS Choices. I am unable based on the review to offer any help but would like you to contact one of our PALs officers who will be able to assist, please contact them on 020 7472 6446 or 020 7472 6447 if you prefer you can email them at rf.pals@nhs.net please let them know you have already raised this through NHS Choices

Al-Turk gave Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

appointments are disaster for biopsy test

I have been referred by Doctor to do a biopsy test on Dec/2016 after 2 weeks I received letter for biopsy on May 2017. then I received a call from my doctor asking about the test date then the doctor contact them to get a closer date because they said it's an emergency, so they booked me on 31/01/2017 but that was on the university exam period I called back to change but unfortunately they change the regular appointment with my doctor I didn't know that then on 31/10/2017 I received a call from my doctor asking why I didn't came, then I explained that was there problem because I call to reschedule the biopsy test not the regular appointment, so they referred me again so they booked me on 25 of May 2017 and again my doctor called then so they booked me on 22/02/2017.

when I went at their 08:00am my name was the first on the list, I was fasting since 12 midnight as they told me they prepare me took blood sample then I was waiting from 8am to 2pm then the nurse came and said we are sorry there are no booking for you in the operation room. I can't believe that they made me wait to 2pm!!!!!!! also I was planning so I did attend my university lectures because of the test. I said that's OK its happened so they called my doctor to inform them of what did happened. then they booked me again on 24 of May and I left after on the next day I received a call that my appointment has been foreword to Monday 06/02/2017 so I prepared because I have university reports I have to submit on that week so I was going to ask for biopsy test confirmation letter to give it as an evidence for my absence as a result I didn't prepare well of the reports I thought that I will get an extension for the deadline submission. when I called the hospital to confirm what time I must go they said that there is no appointment and it's been rescheduled again for 24/03/2017. they made my days very stressful now I should run just to finish my reports in any way before the deadline because I will not have an excuse of extension.
I'm very upset now I don’t trust them any more on the next appointment I will ask my doctor to discharge me from this hospital to another hospital (if they can) I have been with then since 2012, for the whole five years I didn't even face a single problem with them because they are really very accurate. The main problem that In St Marys Hospital don't have access to my medical reports in royal free hospital.
Finally, my advice, If you are a patient don’t go to royal free hospital even if you will wait more to be booked for anther hospital, wait and don't chose this hospital.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 04 March 2017

Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 March 2017

Dear Al-Turk

Thank you for leaving such detailed feedback; I can understand why you called your experience a disaster. I am extremely sorry as the sequence of events you recount is not acceptable and certainy not the standard we set ourselves. I have forwarded your feedback to the manager in charge of booking and asked them to look into it for me.

I am also sorry that this has had such an impact on your university studies; please contact me if a letter from the hospital would help with your tutors, you can email me at rf.patientexperience.nhs.net

Richard

Richard Chester, deputy director of patient experience

Katherine L82 gave Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Unfair endocrinology dept

My brother has a pituitary adenoma and needed to be seen by an endocrinologist. His GP sent a brief letter and we were not happy when the reply came back. The GP had mentioned my brothers past history which included the word Transgender, ,he transitioned successfully from female to male years ago and he was a bit unhappy that this was brought up. His GP wrote also that he had been discharged from the gender identity clinic years ago as he's completed his transition.
One of the consultants replied that he would need to go to a gender identity clinic as only GICs have funding to see transgender people plus they do not see people with transgender issues? My brother has a hormonal issue and surely this needs addressing.
I contacted the GIC who said this is complete nonsense and that when they discharge patients back into the care of their GP they can be referred to any NHS hospital.
The Royal Free still dispute this even though the head endocrinologists at the GIC contacted them and told him that my brother has a right to be seen and can go to any endocrine department and the consultant still chooses to ignore this. The Royal Free should be treating someone for their issue here which is a pituitary adenoma, not discriminating against him because of his gender identity. Absolutely horrendous.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 11 August 2017

Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 August 2017

Dear Katherine

The care you describe falls far short of what your brother should have been receiving, please pass my apologies to him for this. What you describe is not or never acceptable and I would like to look into this personally to find out how we have ended up treating your brother in the manner you describe. Can you please (with his permission) email me your details so I can look into this on your brother's behalf. My email address is richardchester@nhs.net

In addition to apologising to your brother please pass my apology to all those who have been effected as I know it will be beyond him alone.

Richard Chester

Richard Chester - deputy director

Rina gave Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Appointments constantly being cancelled

The Royal Free Hospital has cancelled my sons Paediatric Dermatology appointment 3 times since he was referred from our GP. The service is disgraceful as my son has been having his appointments cancelled since last year and then to top it off, I received a letter today to tell me his appointment was cancelled again, but within that letter there was no compassion or anything to suggest that they even sorry for cancelling the appointment, it was a case of them just printing out the appointment letter and crossing it out and writing 'Cancelled' - This is by far the worst experience I have ever had with the NHS and the Royal Free! I can totally see why people prefer to go private. As a UK tax payer, I received a letter in the post telling me about my taxes and where they were spent and the second one was health, yet it seems like trying to get an appointment which isn't cancelled is like trying to get blood from a stone.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 11 February 2017

Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust replied on 15 February 2017

Dear Rina,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This is not the level of service we expect our patients to receive. We would like to look into this for you and would appreciate it if you could get in touch with us at rf.patientexperience@nhs.net

Many thanks,

Anna gave Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

A huge delay in receiving the test results

I have done a mammogram in December 2016 and still has not got the results letter. I called the Breast Clinic and wrote to them with no result. I went there physically and still there was such chaos that they did not have time to help me.

Very frustrating! I got my GP to write to them to get the results out of them. It is the end of March, it has been three months since the test and still I have no idea whether I am all right (or not)

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 20 March 2017

Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 March 2017

Dear Anna,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback here. I am sorry to read about your experience; this is not the standard of care that we expect our patients to receive. If you would like to contact me at rf.patientexperience@nhs.net with further details I will look into this matter for you.

hazel green reviewed Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust

death

mum had an alpha pump fitted in November last it didn't work they took it out in December two days later she died she was moved to a single room where we stayed with her overnight we had to ask for morphine for her as she was in pain we seemed to be left to it next morning while waiting for doctor to confirm death someone came in room to get a blood sample someone should have told them it was to late I felt sorry for them they were so embarrassed the nursing staff were really nice we were phoned to go there the day after her op and the day befor she died surely we could have been called sooner we still don't understand exactly what happened we know she was terminally ill but no one had ever actually told us we had to decide for ourselves a doctor wanted to look into mums death because it was within 2 days of surgery the other doctors said no we were upset and not thinking clearly we feel the doctor who wanted it looked into should have come and talked to us to explain why they wanted it looked into in hind site we would have said yes to it its too late now we are left not really understanding what happened and feel there should be more in place in these instances to help family members understand whats going on and what happens next

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 15 March 2017

Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 March 2017

Dear Hazel,

Firstly, please accept my sincere condolences. Secondly, thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback.

We are always striving to learn from and improve based on the experiences of our patients and their families so we would like to look into this further. If you would like to do so, please contact us at rf.patientexperience@nhs.net with further details (ward etc.).

With warmest regards,

Michael Lynn recommended Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust

This review is meaningless

This review does not address my issue. I am 72 years old and have some mobility problems. I tried to phone to book a blood test and was held on the phone for about 15 minutes receiving various messages that I would be dealt with as soon as possible and to stay on the line. After that time the messages stopped and a ringing tone was played. After a further five minutes of that, I hung up. Why don't they answer the phone! I have not visited the clinic because I cannot get through, but this review insists that I enter the date I attended the clinic. As my title says, this review is meaningless for me.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 13 July 2016

Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.