Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust

01423 885959 Harrogate District Hospital, Lancaster Park Road , Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG2 7SX

Anonymous gave Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

A&E Friday evening

Ahead of the main rush of Friday night our son was admitted to A&E. Reception were fabulous getting him into the building, he was treated in a short amount of time. All staff were professional and compassionate. The area was meticulously clean. Treatment first class. Fabulous advertisement for the NHS and its staff . Thank you.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 30 September 2017

Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Dave Gilbride gave Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service and experience

I wish to express my thanks and congratulations to the Trust for the truly excellent service I received on 15 / 16 /17 Aug 2017 following a cycle accident in Harrogate. (I was visiting Harrogate from Manchester for a week.). From the service I received when dialling 999 on the cycle path, to my discharge several days later, everyone I came in contact with was fantastic. There are too many individuals to acknowledge due to the treatment / surgery I needed, but everything was progresses quickly, I had everything explained to me, everyone was extremely kind, considerate and professional. The cleanliness of the hospital was excellent. I noticed everyone was busy all the time, but didn't hear any member of staff complaining once. On the ward, (Farndale) I was in admiration of the nurses and staff who consistently provided care and kindness to those who were elderly and had more demanding needs - often without thanks or acknowledgement from the patients.

I think the volunteers deserve praise also, giving up their time to provide support to the nursing staff / catering staff, and also being able to have a chat with patients, providing reassurance or just a friendly face.

My discharge was expediated, with excellent service again from the orthopaedic unit, physiotherapy team and discharge lounge.

I hope my comments can be shared amongst the staff at Hartogate District Hospital. Well done everyone.

Dave Gilbride

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 21 August 2017

Mrs Hodges gave Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Poorly toddler

After being advised by 111 I drove my daughter & her poorly toddler from Ripon through to Harrogate A&E dept. We expected it to be very busy & a long as wait as it was Friday evening. Very impressed with the receptionist's welcome & the speed of their checking our particulars. Had a little bit of a wait as expected & was then seen by a very kind, triage nurse who checked out thoroughly our poorly toddler. They informed us of the service we could be getting & the next stage of our visit. They also said we don't mess around when it comes to kiddies & they will get a thorough checking over. They decided that a evening duty GP would be the next course of action. We were promptly shown the way & there we had another little wait to see them. Again another, caring doctor who was again very thorough & reassuring about the symptoms etc. Our toddler was examined as expected & mines put to rest. They did say we could stay if we wanted & our toddler be observed on a children's ward but because our toddler was already on medication to deal with issues they were confident that the situation would improve. If not they said don't hesitate & come back to see us if your worried. Excellent service from all the staff we came into to contact with & very impressed too of the speed of seeing genuine sickness to be worried about. Well done!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 25 March 2017

Communications and Marketing Manager, Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 March 2017

Hello Mrs Hodge - Thank you for taking the time to leave this lovely feedback. I'll ensure to pass it on to the staff you and your grandchild came into contact with. We hope they are feeling much better now!
Many thanks,

Helen gave Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Mammogram & scan

I attended the radiology department last Monday for investigation into a lump I found in my breast. The speed in which I was seen was very reassuring. The care I received when having my Mammogram was with kindness & dignity. I felt very scared & vulnerable & the staff involved in my investigation were excellent. I cannot praise them enough & thank them wholeheartedly for the way I was dealt with. The consultant put my mind at ease & I left the hospital feeling very grateful that we have an NHS system as efficient as it is. Many thanks.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 22 February 2017

Communications and Marketing Manager, Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 June 2017

Hello Helen - many thanks for your kind comments. I'll pass them on to the team. I hope you're doing OK.

Frances gave Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Care in a&e

I was sent by gp as I had severe pain in my hip following a fall on arrival I was assessed immediately and put on a trolley for further assessment which included X-rays and subsequent fractured head of femur confirmed I was treated with kindness and respect by everyone with adequate pain relief before admission to a ward

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 02 February 2017

Anonymous gave Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Remember chronic patients need looking at as new patients.

Out patient with pic line reports in at 1:30pm with a temperature having previously had D&V. Concerned about sepsis as had it twice in the past. Waited an hour to be seen by T nurse then returned to waiting room where had an fit. Given a cubical and treated with gas and air for the pain. Blood sugars and key-tones measurements done (17 / 5.4 respectively). Nothing done about them. Nurses over heard saying "oh its just ... wanting the enternox." Bloods difficult to take despite patient suggesting a fem stab as the quickest way to get bloods due to poor veins (long term diabetic). Lead staff increasingly rude to patent who was getting confused and agitated possibly due to rising sugar levels?!? Doctors not prepared to ensure continuity of care between a&e and ward, and ignoring baseline tests very clearly wanting patient off ward as 4 hours was about to be breached. Bloods not taken again, despite patient saying "this doesn't feel right, this is not my normal pain." Repeatedly. Admitted to ward at 7pm, where blood sugars of over 41 and high key-tones logged, Dr came and asked for patient to be put on a sliding scale apologised to carers that patient had sat in a&e with high sugars, keynote and resulting DKA pain, midnight the sliding scale was put up, user explained that the required pump had been attached to another patient who went to ICU!
Concerns: Infection esp. Sepsis risk delayed treatment, untreated DKA, and resulting organ damage that could have been caused, appalling way patient and carers spoken to, and ultimately patients life put at risk because they had been seen before. Carers stayed until 5am as did not feel confidence in level of care and disheartened that with our basic first aid we would have responded far earlier and with greater consistency. HDH needs to remember that the most dangerous phase in any language is "we have always done it this way." Complacency with any patients treatment is the way to unnecessary pain,

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 03 October 2016

Val gave Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

My experience.

I had an appointment at the Radiology Department on 6th October, 2016, for an injection. The three members of staff present whilst the procedure was carried out were pleasant and efficient . They took extremely good care of me and put me at my ease.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 09 October 2016

Anonymous gave Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Speedy service!

I visited my GP yesterday morning with a painful knee. He said I needed an X-ray and I went straight to Harrogate District. I had about a five minute wait for the X-ray. My GP 'phoned in the afternoon having already received a report on the X-ray and prescribed the appropriate drugs. There could be no better service than this.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 11 October 2016

Anonymous reviewed Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust

Appalling hospital

I went for a cystscopy, a regular checkup following bladder cancer last year. I was told to cancel holiday planned two weeks after appointment. Consultant told me not to look at screen as there was a lot going on that cancer had spread to prostate and I would need op and six courses of chemotherapy. On the day of my surgery staff lost my medical notes no consultant came to see me the day after surgery and no one could tell me why not even the ward sister . I was discharged with no real explanation of my surgery. I was sent an appointment for three weeks later , four days before the appointment a nurse rang to say they do telephone appointments now , my biopsy was clear the cancer hadn't spread and no need for chemotherapy and no need to go to hospital appointment - What's that all about surely a consultant should see a patient after cancer treatment to explain things properly . Dire service , never saw any staff on wards and when you asked for anything nurses said I'll come back in a minute but never did !. Have been to see my Gp who contacted hospital to complain and will request to be referred to another hospital for future treatment.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 11 November 2016

Communications and Marketing Manager, Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 November 2016

Hello - thank you for getting in touch. I've picked this up with the service who I understand have spoken with you, and confirmed that you are clear about your management plan and are absolutely fine.

SMP gave Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent hospital, caring staff

Having had experience of several hospitals I can only say that Harrogate's deserves 5 stars The staff are always kind, caring and highly efficient. The hospital itself is spotlessly clean and welcoming, avoiding the impersonal feeling so often found in larger hospitals. We have experienced ward stays, outpatients and A&E and have always found the hospital to be exemplary. The staff, although busy, are always cheerful and willing to provide help, advice and support - so important when a loved one is in their care.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 11 April 2016

Communications and Marketing Manager, Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 April 2016

Hello SMP - many thanks for your kind comments, they're much appreciated. We're pleased that you were so happy with your care here. It means a lot to us.
Many thanks.