Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

01305 251150 Dorset County Hospital, Williams Avenue , Dorchester, Dorset, DT1 2JY

Fiona reviewed Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Colonoscopy

Every member od staff from the Receptionist who greeted me to the urge who discharged me where polite,courteous, kind, knowledgeable and professional. I was very impressed by the total patient experience.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 06 June 2017

Becky Protopsaltis, Patient and Public Engagement Lead, Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 June 2017

Dear Fiona
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment on Care Opinion about the care you received when attending for your colonoscopy.
It is fantastic to hear that you had such a positive experience, and I will make sure that the staff are made aware of your comments; it really does give them a boost to hear that their patients are happy with the care they receive.
With very best wishes,
Becky Protopsaltis
Head of Patient and Public Engagement

Jenny Price gave Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

I was recently admitted to Abbotsbury ward under the care of the colorectal team. The care I received was outstanding and the level off expertise and knowledge and subsequent treatment definitely turned my health situation around. Every member of the team kept me up to date and I was closely monitored 24/7. I have nothing but praise for the medical/nursing staff. I experienced the NHS at its very best and would definitely recommend DCHFT. Thank you.Jenny Price

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 13 March 2017

Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Dianne Mortimer gave Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

I had emergency surgery on 13th of February ,

I had emergency surgery on the 13th of February and cannot fault all of the staff , all professional , kind and caring and reassuring , i felt safe in their hands . In particular the care given by the registrar who removed my appendix and the anaesthetist who stayed late because i became unwell in theatre ..they saved my life ! Thank you so very much ...would reccomend you to all.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 17 February 2017

Anonymous reviewed Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Blood test

I took my elderly Mum for a blood test on 11 th Jan -she has walking difficulties and vascular dementia and is 88 years old. The member of staff who took the blood was exceptionally kind and helpful and very patient- they also made a fantastic job of getting a vein because people usually struggle to get blood from my Mum- she didn`t feel a thing! I didn`t get their name but they deserve commendation-they are obviously a truly caring person and very good at their job.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 17 January 2017

Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 25 January 2017

Dear Anon
Thank you for taking the time to write this post about the Day Unit at Babington Hospital. We are very proud of the standard of care our patients receive and we really appreciate that you have taken the time to give us this positive feedback.
I will make sure the staff receive his feedback I know they will appreciate it.
Chrissy Carline
Patient Experience Information Officer
Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Foundation Trust

Mike D gave Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Patient care

The quality of clinical care was excellent and, for my extended stay there, (making a total stay of 8 days), I was visited by a clinician without fail every day and given a clear statement of daily objectives for my treatment. The nursing care standard was excellent, and clearly the staff worked there for the job satisfaction the task gave and not just the remuneration. In one instance, a needy and underweight patient unwittingly requested the chocolate bar on the tray of the adjacent patient who had bought it for himself and one nurse took it upon themselves to buy one from their own pocket, politely refusing my own offer of help.
On one night, I twice needed the help of a nurse to stabilise my pain and change the soiled bedlinen. I thought they did this somewhat mechanically, until I released they were already exhausted in the middle of a 13.5 hours workshift. I later placed a much higher value on the assistance they had given me.
I had previously attended a regional hospital 5 years ago and could therefore compare its performance to this present one.
The only unfortunate element was the restaurant facilities. Although they were very reasonable for patients, the nurses found them unaffordable, even when a staff discount was supplied. That is sad.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 10 June 2016

Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

mike lofthouse gave Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care in the day surgery unit

I had an operation on my knee carried out by the day surgery team on Tuesday 3rd May. The outcome has been excellent and I had very little pain or discomfort and am now (21st May) fully fit to exercise etc.
I want to comment on the excellent service that everyone in the Day Surgery Unit provided. From the moment I registered at reception, everything was well organised, friendly and very professionally carried out. It was also very focussed on the patient which was really good for my confidence in the operation.
It is never easy to undergo surgery but the way I was treated made me feel really good about the whole event.
Please pass on my thanks to all who were involved in the operation.

Yours Sincerely

M. Lofthouse

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 21 May 2016

Anonymous gave Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Outpatient Day Surgery

Recent Urology Operation at the Day Surgery Unit on 10/11/2015

One continually reads in the press about the problems in the NHS, but. I would like it put on record that I have been very impressed with the treatment I received in the Day Surgery Unit.

From the moment I arrived, when I was welcomed by name, through the pre-operation preparation, the op itself, and then the post-op recovery period, I felt that I could not have been better cared for.

With what, potentially, could have been a somewhat embarrassing situation, I was treated in a friendly, and professional way by the whole team: nurses, anaesthetist, as well as the consultant who carried out the op.

At all stages it was explained in simple terms what the op involved before, during and after.
Having come to after the op, I was made to feel comfortable, welcomed with a cup of coffee and biscuit and later some buttered toast. The nursing team could not have been more attentive.
Both the anaesthetist and consultant visited me afterwards to make sure all was well.

Before I was discharged the staff nurse made sure that I understood what I had to do when I got home, and they also explained some of the possible after effects.

The whole process was carried out in a very efficient, sensitive and professional manner, in which the needs of the patient were considered at all times. Each member of the team had a clear view of their particular role and I am sure this was due to the leadership in this unit.

I was also particularly impressed with my pre-op consultancy session with the consultant, as well as the follow up session a week later. They made me feel at ease at all times, and made sure I was fully aware of what was involved in the op and afterwards. This certainly reduced the potential stress and I felt , at all times, that I was in very safe hands.

We are privileged here in Dorset to have such dedicated professionals.

Michael E. Wardle MA, AIMC